• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Ba'sini'on

Can I do Parkour and Gymnastics?

I really, REALLY, want to be able to do gymnastics and parkour. 

A little backstory, I used to be in gymnastics but it was only for two years. I really loved it though and wished I could've stayed longer. That was when I was 12 and now I'm 27 and a mother.

I know I need to lose a lot of weight and train in body weight exercises as well as bring my flexibility back up. But my worry is, I completely fractured my ankle when I was 18. I jumped from a tree because I was stuck and couldn't get down. I ended up getting surgery and now have two plates and six screws in my left ankle. On top of that I've noticed my joints haven't been as strong as they used to. I know that could be because I'm 5'8" and 236 pounds. 

Am I OK to learn gymnastics and parkour still? And is there ways I can improve my bone density?

Unless your doctor has given you a reason not to, I don't see any reason you can't learn parkour and gymnastics.  Just remember to take it slow and start at the beginning.  Your injuries will slow down your progress, so be aware of that and listen to your body.  It's better to take an extra day to recover than to force things and hurt yourself again.  Personally, I have early stages of carpal tunnel and arthritis in both wrists, and still practice handstands, elbow levers, and other wrist intensive exercises.  I just have to take it slow and accept that I'm going to progress at my own pace.

Consult your doctor for recommendations on bone health, as well.  Regular exercise and proper diet will help, but he'll be able to give you specifics for your situation.

• Like 1

Yes to all Anim says. Just listen to your body. And you probably are going to need to work in some time for mobility work too. As far as bone density, jumping is a great way to build bone density. Also lifting heavy stuff, via bodyweight or weight. For your ankle, single leg work will do a good job of building strength;lunges single leg squats, step ups

• Like 1

If you can find a parkour school in your area, a good parkour instructor will know how to compensate for any injuries you may have.  The beauty of bodyweight and parkour exercises, is that there's always a way to modify them to your skill level.  In addition to taking things slow and listening to your body, if you're looking for a good starting point, search for quadrupedal movement exercises, and the safety vault.  No jumping required :)