Benefits in pausing progress?

I've been putting on 2.5kg every time I lift (as per strong lifts) and I've been progressing which is great. But it's also really tiring. I've found that squats are taking up a lot of my energy and that the follow up lifts are so much more difficult.

Is there any benefit to putting the squat progress on pause and keeping the weight constant for a few weeks (either for just squats or for all lifts), letting my body get used to the weight? Or is it best just to keep pushing on?

Well, the benefit would be to your other lifts. If you'd like to increase them to the detriment of your squat progress you could stop progressing the weight.

My recommendation would be to try moving squats to the end of your workout (so you're not knackered for your other lifts) or maybe it's time to move to a different program. That said, if you haven't plateaued your squats on Stronglifts I would ride that train as far as it goes if I were in your shoes.

• Like 1
On 3/18/2018 at 9:21 AM, GodzillaKong said:

I've been putting on 2.5kg every time I lift (as per strong lifts) and I've been progressing which is great. But it's also really tiring. I've found that squats are taking up a lot of my energy and that the follow up lifts are so much more difficult.

Is there any benefit to putting the squat progress on pause and keeping the weight constant for a few weeks (either for just squats or for all lifts), letting my body get used to the weight? Or is it best just to keep pushing on?

Not at all, I think these programs progress too quickly at times and beat the lifters up. You can always also just do a delaod early if they're frying you and work them back up. I disagree with the approach of strictly waiting until actual failure to deload. The thing I also like with deloading or pausing weight is slowly adding more reps. If you feel good at the end of a set, at another rep or two. I always stop once I only have 1-2 left in the tank, if I have more, I keep going until I get there.

• Like 2

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

These sorts of deloads are also a great opportunity to work on form, which isn't something you normally get to do with strong lifts.

I found my long term progress probably had more to do with the foundation in form I built during stronglifts than how high I managed to push my 5RM.

• Like 2

Dwarf Warrior
I am today what I made myself yesterday, I will be tomorrow what I make of myself today.

Current challenge: Juni0r83 works on his Schedule-Fu

Previous challenge: Juni0r83 re-evaluates and refocuses

On 3/18/2018 at 8:21 AM, GodzillaKong said:

I've been through several deload/stall cycles in squats, bench, and OHP. Really the only lift that hasn't stalled is DL. I've been running SL5x5 since about late october of last year.

How long have you been running stronglifts? I've taken both "programmed" (i.e. app told me to) deloads, injury deloads, and fuck it Imma work on form for a week delaods.

Im struggling a tad around 190 right now for squats, but I've noticed that squats really don't affect my other lifts. Are you resting/breathing enough? Are you taking the 90 sec or 3 min breaks?

Fitbit username: farflight   (would love to have more people on there)

Getting life in order is a challenge worth doing.

Happiness is the journey, not the destination (took me forever to learn that)

I've been doing it since September, but I took January off due to illness. Resting isn't a problem (taking 4 minutes between squat sets at the moment and 2 or 3 on others). Not really using the app, just got it on a spreadsheet. Maybe I should do that.

I think there's a few reasons why I'm struggling. First and foremost, I am really unfit and have been all of my life. 125kg (ish) and sad to say it ain't muscle. So I guess not only is my body having to do things it's never really done before (at least, not so consistently) but there's also a lot of extra weight to push, besides what's on the bar.

I'm also still trying to figure out exactly what I should be eating and how much. Definitely eating a lot better than I was even a year ago. But I probably need to eat more, which is a very difficult concept for me given my weight, even if it is healthier stuff.

There's also the option of rotating which lift you do first. I'm not doing Stronglifts, but I'm familiar with it. I workout 3x week and my program has a different lift of the big three first during each session (depending on which is hypertrophy/vs strength day). One day will be squats first, one day bench, and one day deadlift first. So with Stronglifts you could also pick a day where you do Squats after Bench instead of first, etc. I'm not saying it's a good idea to re-write Stronglifts, but rotating the lift order IS an option. 

• Like 1

Jǫrð, Delvian Nomad - Level 12 { Battle Log }

21 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

There's also the option of rotating which lift you do first. I'm not doing Stronglifts, but I'm familiar with it. I workout 3x week and my program has a different lift of the big three first during each session (depending on which is hypertrophy/vs strength day). One day will be squats first, one day bench, and one day deadlift first. So with Stronglifts you could also pick a day where you do Squats after Bench instead of first, etc. I'm not saying it's a good idea to re-write Stronglifts, but rotating the lift order IS an option. 

I think I'm leaning towards this option for my next challenge.

On 3/31/2018 at 5:32 AM, GodzillaKong said:

I think I'm leaning towards this option for my next challenge.

I've also done the rotation thing and my only counter would be not to do deadlifts first.  In my experience, they fry my entire back and impact the other lifts too much as far as being able to keep good form.

• Like 1

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf