_riotgrrrl_ learns to Go With the Flow

_riotgrrrl_

LIfe happens. It's how you deal with it that counts... On the downside, I've recently being diagnosed with a hiatus hernia and GERD. By the end of this challenge I will hopefully will have had the final tests to determine what kind of surgery - if any - will be right for me. For those of you who don't already know, I've been on the proton pump inhibitor omeprazole for about 7 months now. Long term effects of it are pretty nasty - the one bothering me in particular is that it inhibits calcium/magnesium absorption. This became apparent over the last challenge when my legs started to twitch all night, and I found myself pausing Strong Curves for a couple of weeks, only to find the twitching came back as soon as I resumed my workouts. As someone who was fine lifting way more on Strong Lifts I'm inclined to think it's the medication that's to blame, and not the intensity of my lifting. On the upside, since supplementing with calcium and magnesium this seems to have disappeared. If it comes back I'll start on the creatine. I can't bear the thought of putting all those hours in at the gym and having to do the same workouts with the same weights. I'm now on the home stretch (weeks 9-12) for this beginner's Strong Curves routine. I hope I'll be able to move into the advanced programme after, but if not I'm happy to repeat this last bit again. HERE WE GO!

kick.gif.f9e91431c9d69c52fc6f3dab3e9b3fcf.gif

1. Lose fat, get stronger

Progress was depressingly slow last challenge, I lost a grand total of 1.1kg / 2.4lbs and 1" off the body. My calories seem to be somewhere between the low end of maintenance and the high end of deficit. I'll do my best to push comfortably into the deficit end of the spectrum by cutting calories to 1500 per day. I'm less hungry on 'active recovery' days, so I could cut more drastically on those days if I find I'm finding it hard to restrict on Strong Curves days. If I find my recovery suffers then I'll have to hang back from increasing weights, as losing fat is a higher priority right now. So, Strong Curves four times per week.

Stairmaster.gif.3ed13d36a673cade079d4786ce4b2285.gif

2. Climbmill HIIT routine

It's 18 mins long, I'm doing it twice per week, and I've already modified the speed as it's a killer on the quads. I'll change up if it ever gets 'easy'.  Due for another hiking holiday in October, which is why I chose that particular cardio machine. 

panda.gif.b5442aca5a9017b6e9004f9521483112.gif

3. Recover

I don't know if this will be simple foam rolling or all-out yoga, but I think this would aid recovery. I still haven't worked out which days to do this - perhaps after workouts B and C, as they hammer the thighs way more. Obviously keep up with food supplements too.

rock.gif.1b0a0c5624bbd72940623f0a9a5e928d.gif

4. Simple timetabling 

Tech on Mon-Wed; Creative on Thu-Sat. Brain doesn't like switching fast between the two disciplines and I find myself doing nothing instead. I've left this deliberately vague so I don't pressure myself too much, and then quit the first time after I fail. 

• Like 2

What a difference a bit of context makes. First of all, measured the waist on waking this morning - 28.5" - it hasn't been below 29" since I was about 17, so that was a nice surprise! 

My routine has switched from weeks 5 - 8 of BB, to weeks 9 - 12, and the change in exercises means I don't have to be in the free weights area for Workout A - so today I was back in the studio space - with all the women. I was previously comparing myself with all the dudes benching barbells that weigh as much as me, and not realising how well my relative progress was going... Did TEN WHOLE PUSH-UPS today, which is unprecedented too. I've only ever been able to do three at a time, which is testament to the tiny amounts I've been benching this year. I guess I'm more excited about the self-sufficiency of upper body bodyweight exercises, over how much external weight I can lift. I can't wait to be able to do pull-ups. Multiple pull-ups! Handstands and climbing and yoga - oh my!

Speaking of which, just completed a Grokker 'athletes' yoga workout. Haven't lost any flexibility, can feel my glutes when I lie down on the floor and tense them. Fun times! 1533 calories tonight - it's all Yakult's fault. I pre-logged my meals, realised I was slightly over on protein macros, so I'm having half a second protein shake tonight, bringing my calories down to 1459. Get in!

• Like 5

Woot on all those pushups! Beast strength! And woohoo for the waist- that is amazing! And way to go at making you eat within your goals.

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

Elastigirl:Luck Favors The Prepared - Current Challenge: August 1 to September 4 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

12 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Woot on all those pushups! Beast strength! And woohoo for the waist- that is amazing! And way to go at making you eat within your goals.

Thanks!

8 hours ago, deftona said:

Yay for the progress! Following along again :D

Woo hoo! And thanks for following again!

So, Workout B - less compound lifts, more accessories. Another workout away from the free weights area. Unfortunately there was a cardio class, so me and the rest of the lunchtime rush were cordoned off into an area half the size. Didn't sleep well (if I don't get a full, unbroken 8 hours it feels like I haven't slept at all), so I felt a bit fatigued and reps suffered. First time doing bodyweight Bulgarian split squats - bloody hell! Is it just me, or are they really that difficult for everyone? Heigh ho, there wouldn't be much point if I was able to do the full range of reps first time round - I did 10/20 for each set... Took Brett's advice and kept good mornings light. Did a solid 90 second elevated RKC plank - a new PR, and I'm gonna feel those dumbell side bends tomorrow! Actually I'm feeling the lats and thighs right now, so I'm making a mental note to stretch when I get back.

Got a CV clinic for tech jobs tonight. Bit nervous, as I've been unofficially nominated for the workshop leader's job once she leaves, and I'm only really going so I can meet her and find out more about the role.

Got my barbell pad today. It's by Beast Gear (discounted on Amazon). I feel like a big girl now - will let you know how I get on after Thursday's barbell hip thrusts and squats.

Aldi do billtong! Lots of protein in a low calorie snack - I just hope it tastes decent - will keep you updated about that too.

Had an awful lunch of Tesco chorizo fishcakes and salad. Got them discounted because of the protein, but the chorizo overwhelmed any fish that may have been in there, and unfortunately I didn't realise they contained green bell peppers (I have an intolerance) until they were already in the oven. So I've just spent a long time picking out anything green while not really enjoying the taste. Ended up giving up and throwing some of it away. Hopefully this means I can eat tech pizza without going over my calorie allowance. Just need to remember to eschew the beer. Every cloud...

• Like 2

Nine weeks in to my glute-focussed programme and I finally fatigue my glutes (one legged glute bridges don't count - they're clearly the work of Satan). 15kg of barbell hip thrusts are what did it in the end.

Nine weeks in and I encounter my first gym fuckboi. I'm warming up in the pretty much empty open studio space. Bloke comes up and sets his mat up right next to mine, placing his nasty-ass trainers next to my head and I'm damned if I'm moving just as I'm starting my superset. He proceeds to perform some sort of flailing motion for a few seconds and then rests. Another dude plants himself right in front of me, blocking my view in the mirror (the place was SOOOOO empty), but turns out he has a fine butt, which keeps me distracted and in a good mood for the duration. I do my set facing fuckboi, cos he's not getting a floorshow. I swear, as soon as I get to the end of my set and move my stuff over a couple of feet so I can breathe, he moves. Puts his nasty trainers back on, and makes a phone call. For the rest of my session I see him hanging around the machines, but not actually doing any exercise. That's the only negative today. I otherwise had a great time.

Workout A days are definitely days where I feel strongest. I used my barbell pad for the first time, and I can highly recommend it. Amazon sell it, if you want to save on shipping. I don't know if I'm placing the barbell incorrectly over my hips for hip thrusts, or if I'm just that fat, but find my belly is a bit squished with the extra bulk. Keeping my feet further away from my butt alleviated this, but now I'm worried about my form. Please advise if this makes sense... The push-ups from Monday weren't a fluke, and I was able to do 10 x 3 again! I've promised myself that once I can do 12 easily I'll bring my hands in closer. 20 x 3 deadlifts are becoming easier at 20kg (including my grip strength), so I need to increase the weight next time. I'm not crazy though - I'll do 22kg for that many reps... Really felt it in the butt today, so my hip hinge must be finally kicking in... The cable anti-rotation press is evil and I need to find a position that doesn't result in the cable catching on the top of my arm as I pull. 

20180322_152546.thumb.jpg.bf58d98ac41b0213a723844593382c69.jpg

Couldn't pass up on venison lasagne at that price (41g of protein might be a record in ready meals), and the salad is delish, but I can't have it today, as it would tip me way over my calories. Far from being a soulless, corporate no-frills gym, they're giving free day passes to members who donate Easter eggs to a charity for kids from disadvantaged families. I'm thinking of giving it to my Mum. Aldi were doing solo eggs for 99p but it didn't feel right - and other members haven't been skanking the local kids either. I'll take it along tomorrow. Also got myself a 28-day aged Aldi Aberdeen Angus steak, some sweet potato fries and a Béarnaise sauce from M&S as a reward (I have NO problems 'rewarding' myself) for being all strong, for fatiguing my glutes and for tolerating the aforementioned fuckboi. I will eat a total of 111g protein today, which is probably what I should be aiming for (and not sub-100g, as I've been generally attaining). I'd woken up at 6.30am and couldn't get back to sleep, my livestreaming seminar (AWSome Day, for fellow tech ppl) wouldn't buffer, so I tried to catch up with sleep. Got out of bed around noon. For context, I'm not only a night owl, but if I don't get around 9 hours of unbroken sleep, it's almost as if I didn't sleep at all. Well, I got that coffee and high protein granola down me and went to the gym, even though I really didn't think I'd get through it. But I did. And I set new PRs. So it's steak tonight! 

I've got supersets of hip thrusts and dumbell chest supported rows tomorrow, which will have me thrusting away in the weights area next to a bunch of men. Pray for me.

• Like 2

I like going to an all female gym, or go to my regular gym with my boyfriend. Get away from the fuckboi's. XD BF and I are a super cute couple when working out, so I'm left alone.

And now I want to make lasagna. ;-; I've got to stay away from the carbs though. I like reading about your food ventures.

Looking forward to your progress :D

• Like 1

Just for @AutumnWhisper

20180322_192523.thumb.jpg.b24190c138a0e2c2ffeb01ad0be1e618.jpg

43 minutes ago, AutumnWhisper said:

I like going to an all female gym, or go to my regular gym with my boyfriend. Get away from the fuckboi's. XD BF and I are a super cute couple when working out, so I'm left alone.

And now I want to make lasagna. ;-; I've got to stay away from the carbs though. I like reading about your food ventures.

Looking forward to your progress :D

Hey there! 

I'm with you on the all-female gym. Unfortunately my nearest is miles away and about 3x as expensive as this one. Mind you, said fuckboi was my first in the almost 4 months I've been at my gym, which isn't bad (I mean, it's 'bad', but pretty infrequent). My BF finds the very thought of running indoors - rather than outdoors - anger inducing. However, he's mysteriously shown a sudden interest in lifting heavy things, so there's always hope!

My diet's pretty high fat generally, but I don't care as long as I get my protein macros. I suppose you're on a properly low-carb diet?

• Thanks 1
33 minutes ago, _riotgrrrl_ said:

My diet's pretty high fat generally, but I don't care as long as I get my protein macros. I suppose you're on a properly low-carb diet?

Mmmmmmm so goood. <3

Yeah, I was carb cycling, but next week I'm going to take it full less than 30g of carbs a day. Luckily it hasn't been too difficult of a transition for me. I prefer veggies and meat over everything. (Mac and cheese though ;-;) I'm just lazy with cooking.

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, AutumnWhisper said:

Yeah, I was carb cycling, but next week I'm going to take it full less than 30g of carbs a day. Luckily it hasn't been too difficult of a transition for me. I prefer veggies and meat over everything. (Mac and cheese though ;-;) I'm just lazy with cooking.

I couldn't do < 30g of carbs per day - I get hypoglycaemic. Go you!

I only cook because I have the time and it's a bit cheaper than the alternatives! 

• Like 1

Handed in my Easter Egg today. Turns out it's going to refugee kids. Assuming they're not from Christian backgrounds, I wonder what they'll make of all that chocolate! The donation table was heaving too, which is great. They gave me a code for a day pass, but I have to redeem it by Easter so I asked my Mum and she said yes!!!! She's twice my age and has never been near a gym in her life. However, she's very active and does yoga once a week, so I'd like to find her something a bit more exciting than the treadmill, but not too intimidating either...

Did a bit of decompression with Andriene - the hammies needed it.

• Like 1
On 3/18/2018 at 11:24 AM, _riotgrrrl_ said:

GERD. By the end of this challenge I will hopefully will have had the final tests to determine what kind of surgery - if any - will be right for me. For those of you who don't already know, I've been on the proton pump inhibitor omeprazole for about 7 months now. Long term effects of it are pretty nasty

I hear you. I was diagnosed with GERD several years ago. I took Omeprazole for a couple years and everything just got worse and worse. I was having bad reflex every day. I forgot to fill a prescription and noticed I didn't have the problem every day. Long story short I was sensitive to 14 foods and if I avoid those I have zero problems drug free. A guy at my gym has no problems if he does probiotics. That stuff is crazy. 

On 3/20/2018 at 8:57 AM, _riotgrrrl_ said:

First time doing bodyweight Bulgarian split squats - bloody hell! Is it just me, or are they really that difficult for everyone?

Yes, they are terrible. Single leg deadlifts are terrible too. Don't do them. Haha

On 3/22/2018 at 10:49 AM, _riotgrrrl_ said:

one legged glute bridges don't count - they're clearly the work of Satan

Preach!

• Like 1

18.10 |18.6 | 18.518.418.318.218.116.2 | 16.1 | My Character

Lean out: 4lbs / 70lbs

- - - - - - - - - -

BasicGymB.thumb.jpg.1c3053dcff078d3efc1695aa9fddfcb8.jpg

Basic gym bitch checking in here. It's Saturday, it's before noon, I'm off to do Climbmill HIIT and I'm listening to an Apple Music pop playlist. Just hand me an avocado smoothie, post it on Instagram and I'm there. 

Joking aside, the top I'm contorting to show off my butt was only just found in the bottom of my drawer. It's supposed to cover the butt, but (!) I stopped wearing it because it was tight and unflattering on my belly. It now skims over the belly, and hangs the way it was designed to!!! Over the last couple of weeks I've noticed my coat is fitting a bit looser, so something good is definitely happening even if the scale is stuck...

Climbmill HIIT was good. Rounds 1 and 2 out of 12 were so easy I started adding leg raises, and then by round 4 I had to knock it off. Here are today's numbers:

Time: 19.08; Total Steps: 1144; Heart rate: 164; Floors Climbed: 72; Calories: 163

I was going to compare with the last time I did Climbmill HIIT, but that post never got published....Doesn't matter, it's the same estimated calorie burn! 

I don't think I'm alone in working out to pop for cardio and rock for lifting heavy things. However, I know far more about rock than pop, and selected Apple Music's  'Wake Me Up!' playlist, as the gym music is terrible and too quiet for me to get pumped to. Turns out it's a secret womens' empowerment playlist. Even if the music's not 100% to my liking, at least the lyrics are fun right?

e.g. Pretty Girl - Maggie Lindemann I can swear, I can joke / I say what's on my mind / If I drink, if I smoke I keep up with the guys / And you see me holding up my middlefinger to the world / Fuck your ribbons and your pearls / 'Cause I'm not just a pretty girl

or an incel's worst nightmare, FRIENDS - Marshmello & Anne-MarieDon't go look at me with that look in your eye / You really ain't going away without a fight / You can't be reasoned with, I'm done being polite / I've told you one, two, three, four, five, six thousand times / Haven't I made it obvious? / Haven't I made it clear? / Want me to spell it out for you? / F-R-I-EN-D-S

or New Rules - Dua LipaOne, don't pick up the phone / You know he's only calling 'cause he's drunk and alone / Two, don't let him in / You'll have to kick him out again / Three, don't be his friend / You know you're gonna wake up in his bed in the morning / And if you're under him / You ain't getting over him

And then the first male-led track comes on: Tip Toe - Jason DeruloBig fat thang, overflowing / Skin tight dress, couldn't hold it / Way too thick like it's swollen / Girl, you're too bad and you know it....

Which is as far as I got before skipping to the next track.

Most Girls - Hailee SteinfeldYou know some days you feel so good in your own skin / But it's okay if you wanna change the body that you came in / 'Cause you look greatest when you feel like a damn queen / We're all just playing a game in a way, trying to win at life.

And I'm back to being Trish in Hellcat mode.

trish.gif.a8982d54135e587f0055b6f77508c2f9.gif

I shall copy and edit the playlist accordingly for future cardio - it's good fun! Yesterday's yoga worked a treat. I don't think I'd be exaggerating to say it was better than a massage - it was if I had new, fresh legs this morning. Will be back later with dinner. Hope you're having a great weekend!

• Like 3

It's an Omnibus Edition of Shark Week, and I'm laid up in bed on codeine, so I've made the bold decision NOT to balance a 20kg barbell across my womb today. May pick up the bodyweight equivalent, or just do it tomorrow, but might do Yoga with Adriene, as she's got a video for periods (lots of stretching over cushions and blankets as far as I recall).

Sorry I've been quiet, and sorry I didn't post dinner (it was eaten too quickly to be caught on camera). So on Sunday I decided to have a proper think about my options regarding my hiatus hernia. After the next set of tests I may be offered surgery. Yeah, good thing I did some research - the Nissen fundo surgery is pretty drastic, and I may not ever be able to lift/do any core-related exercise ever again - and might have to have follow-up surgery every 15 years. Even the Linx option doesn't come without possible horrible consequences, but at least it's reversible.... The other option is to give up the omeprazole, and cut out fat and most fruit. My diet would be extremely low-fat and my drinks pretty much limited to water. For the rest of my life. This would be the reality of eating out. Fuck that.

My symptoms are relatively mild (reflux only when I lie down in bed, a bit of nausea when I do situps or planks), and the treatments offered seem pretty extreme: choose between a normal diet and any sort of physical exertion. It's not like I'm allergic to the foods themselves, or that I'm dangerously obese either. Unfortunately I'm having to scour the internet for information, since the NHS as it stands doesn't have the time to inform me enough for me to make an informed choice with regard to long term treatment. It all made up for a rather miserable Sunday, but at least I'm prepared. I concluded that despite omeprazole's harsh long-term effects like a higher risk of osteoporosis and dementia, I can at least live a normal life in the meantime. Maybe in a few years, when more research on Linx is available I can ask for that. I'd like to try a lower dose of omeprazole and see if that enables me to absorb minerals again... I think it's unlikely they'll offer me surgery anyway, seeing as the medication is 'working', but my GP was pushing for me to come off it. Perhaps he thought that at my age being on that sort of medication for the rest of my life to be depressing; I find the thought of essentially living off clear liquids or not being able to walk uphill again to be unbearable. I feel a bit selfish for having these thoughts - other people have it so much worse, etc - but I also feel it healthier to explore negative emotions and work through them as they come up. 

Took my Mum to the gym on that free pass. Sat her on a bike for 20 mins then did some arms - she loved it! Now thinking of joining her local gym, but she barely has enough time as it is, so I'm tempted to remind her she has a bunch of resistance bands and a video to be getting on with (she's pretty weak, as she lost a load of weight after my Dad died, and never really got that strength back). I'm tempted to drop off my old adjustable kettlebell on Easter Sunday. It only goes up to 12lbs, and she'd get a decent cardio and resistance workout from it. Any advice to help a fit-for-her-age-but-possibly-underweight woman in her 70s gratefully received! 

Otherwise, I've been able to increase weight on everything on all my lifts. 14kg dumbbell rows were a bit of a shock. Even upped reps on Bulgarian split squats! I'm enjoying this gentle background leg DOMs that I always seem to have - it's like my glutes are firing all the time now.

We have lots of Indian restaurant leftovers in the fridge, so I'm looking forward to demolishing that later. I've been eating out almost every evening this week, and put on 0.7kg overnight thanks to salt/period bloat, so IDGAF. This is me 'going with the flow', as it were. Haven't managed to timetable a damn thing either, but then again that's probably down to depression - I'm just so tired and unfocussed all the time. Thankfully the exercise, good food and listening to music is keeping my head above water. 

Sorry you aren't feeling well. That always sucks. 

I don't know if you have tried it or if you can afford it, but I had nausea and acid reflux for years. I got a blood test to test for food sensitivities and avoiding those has completely resolved it for me. Might be a consideration before surgery. I had to get the test from a naturopath.  (Basically I wanted off the omprezole and it was only sometimes working anyways.) The test I got was from https://immunolabs.com/, but other people do it to. Thing is it's pricey and not covered by insurance. However I wish I had done it years earlier. 

I had to do Bulgarian split squats this week. I thought it was funny as we hadn't done them forever then you mentioned them and boom now we are doing them at the gym. 

It is awesome your mom went to the gym with you. We have a few people's parents who go to our gym and I have always thought that the thought of my mom being at the gym with me is one of the most foreign things I can think of. Not of here and I workout together, but just of her being at a gym working out. I can't even fathom it. My friend use to teach silver sneakers which sounds like might be good for your mom. Have you ever looked it up? We have some 70 year olds at our gym and they just modify to an easy version or do lighter to no weights. Then other things they are just like everyone else. One lady in her 70's and I always competed on our deadlifts to see who could have the higher weight for the women in that class. (To be fair it was a class that 175# would get you that title most days) on our runs we were the slowest. 

• Thanks 1

18.10 |18.6 | 18.518.418.318.218.116.2 | 16.1 | My Character

Lean out: 4lbs / 70lbs

- - - - - - - - - -

14 hours ago, ladymorella said:

Sorry you aren't feeling well. That always sucks. 

Aw, thanks for thinking of me!

I don't know if you have tried it or if you can afford it, but I had nausea and acid reflux for years. I got a blood test to test for food sensitivities and avoiding those has completely resolved it for me. Might be a consideration before surgery. I had to get the test from a naturopath.  (Basically I wanted off the omprezole and it was only sometimes working anyways.) The test I got was from https://immunolabs.com/, but other people do it to. Thing is it's pricey and not covered by insurance. However I wish I had done it years earlier. 

I'll see what I can get done on the NHS, as I'm in the UK. Regardless of test results they'll be reluctant to recommend surgery, as the omeprazole always works for me. Managed to relieve nausea in the gym today by substituting Swiss ball back extensions with cable pull throughs. I think it was just pressure on the stomach (from the ball) that was doing it. In terms of food sensitivities, I've had IBS for years and never been offered this sort of test for it, though I know what my triggers are, and avoid them. I'll do some research and see if I can push for a referral before I go private.

I had to do Bulgarian split squats this week. I thought it was funny as we hadn't done them forever then you mentioned them and boom now we are doing them at the gym. 

They're pure evil.

It is awesome your mom went to the gym with you. We have a few people's parents who go to our gym and I have always thought that the thought of my mom being at the gym with me is one of the most foreign things I can think of. Not of here and I workout together, but just of her being at a gym working out. I can't even fathom it. My friend use to teach silver sneakers which sounds like might be good for your mom. Have you ever looked it up? We have some 70 year olds at our gym and they just modify to an easy version or do lighter to no weights. Then other things they are just like everyone else. One lady in her 70's and I always competed on our deadlifts to see who could have the higher weight for the women in that class. (To be fair it was a class that 175# would get you that title most days) on our runs we were the slowest. 

My Mum introduced me to yoga when I was very young, so we worked out together - back in the day when we used sleeping bags and blankets because yoga mats hadn't been invented yet! She's been doing it ever since then, although she's not as flexible as I hoped she'd be - she gets freaked when her heart rate rises or she starts to sweat (she thinks it's 'overdoing it'), so I don't think she pushes herself enough to get real results. That being said, she's in remarkable shape for a woman of her age. There are a few equivalents of Silver Sneakers near her, but it's a matter of her finding time. She's a carer for my sister - which is partly why she's in such good shape -  but she's bad at finding time to look after herself. She did take a shine to the kettlebells though. It's great for all-round conditioning, and although she wants to build her arms back up I think KBs are a good place to start, especially as she can do it at home and it doesn't take up much space. 

I know what you mean about Mums in the gym being an odd thing to think about - in our case it was lots of fun! Especially as we were able to work out on adjacent machines at our own pace. Would love to get her some PT sessions to build up her confidence and technique. I think I've only ever seen one senior in our gym. It's a very young clientele, on average. I'd love to do deadlifts with someone in their 70s!

Thanks for all the good advice!

• Like 1

I was doing so well too!

Started on the creatine last week and I'm pretty swole... Loving those quad bumps and shoulder caps. Haven't really put on much weight, but now that I actually HAVE to drink 2 litres of water per day I'm finally benefitting from being hydrated. Also got Cookies and Cream and Marzipan whey from MyProtein. CnC is a little too sweet for me (but I didn't buy a huge amount), and I haven't tried Marzipan yet so I'll let you know when I do.

So had a bit of a horrific 24 hours. Rather than grinding my thighs out on the Climbmill on my rest day I decided to do some sprints on the treadmill - 10 mins of 20 second sprints and 40 seconds rest. Big mistake. It's been a long time since I last ran and I've clearly forgotten form - I kept my shoulders pinned back during the workout and suffered for it after. When I got home the OH and I both showed signs of a stomach bug - shivering, aching muscles, sensitive skin... He was violently sick and I wasn't. Wasn't really hungry anyway so had a soup and a roll for dinner. We felt so bad we decided to go to bed a couple of hours early, and I spent most of the night awake with alarming chest pain (last had it when all this hiatal hernia stuff started, so not as scary this time round) and dead legs, despite being propped up with pillows with another one wedged between the knees. Around 5am the worst had passed and I was able to sleep properly. I've spent much of today in bed. Didn't eat and had more chest and throat pain for most of the day, until I washed down a co-codamol with some bread. Perhaps the pain comes from hunger? Anyway, I'm feeling a lot more chilled and I hope this was an unfortunate one-off. Very strange though. He's vegetarian and I'm not so we don't always eat the same things. Trying to work out what the hell it was so it doesn't happen again.

Now I'm feeling more chipper I've got a lovely new script to mark up. I'm scared this chest thing is going to come back and I won't be able to lift. I've already abandoned today's workout because I felt so awful. As I've said before, exercise is the only constant I have that's keeping me sane...

Today's been much better. Woke up fully recovered, found I'd dropped some (water) weight, got some breakfast in me, and got to the gym early for Workout C. Hip-thrusted the empty barbell. Parallel squats are harder than ass-to-grass, and I failed my last set (also empty barbell). Can't say I enjoy doing 20 reps at a time either - my bench is overtaking my squats... Dunno if the creatine's working or what (it's just been over a week at 5g per day), but I felt energised rather than shattered at the end of it all.

Managed to get that venison lasagne on a discount again!!!!!!

giphy.gif.6e5558907af356df62c941f79b35648b.gif

I'm thinking the next challenge will be my last on a cut for a while. I'm walking a very fine line between not eating enough to recover properly and straight-up recomp. Scale says (I know) I'm on the high side of 25% body fat. Thinking of moving up to the next level of difficulty on Strong Curves, but dropping down frequency from 4 to 3 workouts per week, and fitting in 3 cardio sessions on rest days. Aim is to get into the low 20s% and then recomp as long as the sun's out. Eek!

• Like 1

Started Nike Run Club today with a 10 min recovery pace run. Happy to report that average pace was 8'25" (including a cool down). Nice! Shame some treadmill fuckboi decided to use the one next to mine (the gym wasn't busy), repeatedly try for eye contact, run at exactly the same tempo as me, and then stop his workout as soon as I did. Hope he got something out of it... He was certainly making some interesting noises. I'm really not that good at the old cardio - I get the feeling he was even worse.

Running form was a lot better. Managed to relax shoulders and let them come along for the ride this time. Having a rare dinner with my pescatarian OH of Aldi falafel and halloumi tonight, so getting as much protein down me as possible in the meantime. 

I was getting stressed about a work trip to Cardiff and finding an affordable late night gym while there. It's only for two nights, so yes, I've got it bad. It just so happens that this phase of Strong Curves will have just ended - as will the challenge - and I wanted a week off lifting before moving up a level anyway. So I'll do some HIIT/circuits and treadmill running in the hotel gym. Probably first thing in the morning. And yes, I've already looked at opening hours and pics of the the gym. I love it when a plan comes together!

It seems to be one day one, one day off: yesterday, the gym crushed me (try doing barbell hip thrusts with nausea), and today I crushed it right back. Did good mornings with 20kg and can already feel it in my hamstrings... Seem to have finally got the hang of the form on Bulgarian split squats, even if they are still evil. Two minutes of feet elevated planks too!

Nausea is still there but much less so than before, so I hope it's down to that weird stomach bug and not yet another side effect of the omeprazole. Depending on how I feel for the rest of the week, I've either got one or two workouts to go before I've completely finished Booty-ful Beginnings, sticking with it all the way to the end and only missing two workouts. There are some 'Louisiana' ribs that have been sitting in the freezer for months. I shall be eating them in celebration very soon.

Last week I averaged 1250 calories per day, and managed to lose ~1kg in the process. Every silver lining, etc. Unfortunately my protein macros weren't too great. Strength doesn't seem to have suffered (aside from yesterday's disastrous barbell hip thrusts). It's interesting that Strong Curves has the reputation for neglecting the upper body. I know the legs get way more reps than arms, but my bench is still higher than my squat!

And I've finished the beginner's phase of Strong Curves!!!! I don't normally see things through to the end, so go me!!!!

Must remember to take photos at the weekend. Regardless of what I see, and the tape measure, I can fit in to my skirts without giving myself another hernia and I've been able to remove the bra extender on my very expensive (and formerly very tight) running bra!

Nausea's gone, but appetite still hasn't fully returned. Having said that, I just had a massive fish and chip supper in London with a visiting friend.... It's the first time I've maxxed out my calories in over a week. Had a few incidents with bros in the gym, but none today so I won't bang on about it. Gotta go. More to come when I have time. Running tomorrow!

• Like 2