• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Legionary

Questin away

Hey everyone, 

People may have seen me here, I've been in the community for a while now although this is only my second 4 week challenge. Little about me, I'm a black belt in Taekwondo, I'm in my last semester of college working on getting selected for usmc officer training school. I like cooking, video games (skyrim is my favorite modern one), I enjoy most of nerdy stuff particularly star wars and lotr. On to my Questin 

Main quest: 

Become a master of martial arts. 

Side quests: 

Work on my meditation habit 

Not feel terrible about my diet 

Tasks for the month: 

-Train martial arts 4 times a week (2 Tkd class 2 alone) 

-Focus my conditioning more of martial arts then on weightlifting. (Martial arts conditioning fits just fine with my military training) 

-meditate at least 5 minutes a day 

-keep my HP meter over 75 (how I judge my diet) 

This one's not a quest but I'm gonna try to keep a habit from my last challenge going by foam rolling every other day. 

I'm gonna report it like this: 

Date: 

Training (Y/N) 

Conditioning (good/less good) 

Meditation  (Y/N) how long_____

HP score ______ also report on what brought it up/down

• Like 6

3/19/18 

Baseline setting today 

Ht: 5'10" 

Wt: 170 lbs 

Body fat: roughly 10% by some calculators online using a tape measurement thing. 

Hp: I use a 0 to 100 scale to judge my diet. I'm gonna say I'm at 70 right now. I judge it on how much sweets, junk food, beer etc I eat, when I'm good it goes up when I'm not it goes down. 

Meditation habit: not great, I try to every day but forget often 

Baseline cont. 

Pft score: 244 

Max pull-up: 13 

2 min crunch: 115 

3 mile run time: 21:35 

Edited by By365
Added Pft score
  • Like 2

Well, hey! Welcome to the Monastery! We're glad to have you and hope you'll let us know if you have any questions.

So, as far as the challenge goes, it sounds like you're mostly where you want to be regarding your training and your diet. I imagine that going into the USMC, you'll probably be pretty well-managed on that front.

As far as your meditation habit goes, have you figured out any specifics about how to address your forgetfulness? Or are you more at the point of just getting started with it?

3 hours ago, Kishi said:

As far as your meditation habit goes, have you figured out any specifics about how to address your forgetfulness? Or are you more at the point of just getting started with it?

I think it's more an issue that I haven't ever put time in to meditate in my daily schedule 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, By365 said:

I think it's more an issue that I haven't ever put time in to meditate in my daily schedule 

Dig it. In that case, I would advise you to go ahead and start with a ridiculously small goal. Think something tiny, and then think tinier. Carve that much time out of your day, such that the idea of not taking that time just feels ridiculous. Then hit that time every day for the rest of the challenge.

You'd be surprised the good that does, not just for your mental health but also for developing the habit. :)

• Like 1

3/20/18

Training (Y) tkd class 

Conditioning (good) did a lot of running and calisthenics, worked mostly on my aerobic base. 

Meditation (Y) very little time but hey. 

Hp (75) I did good. Ate grain free (mostly) and didn't have any sweets 

I'm starting well but let's see how these habits hold up when I go home at Easter in a week. 

• Like 1

3/21/18 

Training (N) 

Conditioning (good) it's active recovery day so I count that as helping my training, recovery is important.  

Meditation: (Y) I hit the 5 min snooze button on my alarm and meditated until it went off instead of slept.

Hp (75) had great dinner and pretty good lunch. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, By365 said:

Conditioning (good) it's active recovery day so I count that as helping my training, recovery is important.

Way important and totally underrated. Rock on!

• Like 1

3/22/18 

Training (Y) tkd class 

Conditioning (pretty good) had group pt so it was pretty high intensity. I'm glad I had recovery stuff yesterday. 

Meditation  (Y) listened to a guided meditation on YouTube 

Hp (80) I did really well today. 

• Like 1

3/23/18 

Training: (N) 

Conditioning: (OK) pft day, see above 

Meditation: (Y) short session of mantras. 

Hp (80) staying pretty consistent 

3/24/18 

Training  (N) 

Conditioning  (good) recovery day. I've found that instead of a full rest day two active recovery days in the week work well. 

Meditation  (Y) sat in the sun and did breathing meditation for about 8 minutes or so. 

Hp (79) ate well for breakfast and dinner. Had pizza for lunch so only a little hit 

• Like 1

Nice work! And way to not let the midday meal throw you off. That's something I struggled with for a long time, so way to get that one right!

• Like 1

3/25/18 

Training (N) 

Conditioning (ok) kept my conditioning pretty light today 

Meditation  (Y) about 10 minutes. I'm gonna start timing it. 

Hp (79) not bad not great. All my meals were balanced though. 

End of week review: 

I didn't do this last challenge but I figure I can go back over the week and plan for next week. I only got 2 proper training sessions in this week so I'm gonna focus more on that next week. My conditioning is pretty smooth sailing so I just gotta keep it up. Meditation habit is coming along and my diet isn't too terrible. Not a bad week 1

I imagine that with you going out for the Marines that your training is probably pretty interesting to program. I was honestly under the impression, reading through, that you were getting plenty of training the way things were.

Still, if you have the energy and you're not hurting, there's no reason not to do more. :)

5 hours ago, Kishi said:

I was honestly under the impression, reading through, that you were getting plenty of training the way things were.

I get a lot of conditioning, pft prep, and foundational movements like running and pull ups, but I don't get that much martial arts training unless I do it myself. Honestly forms and other martial arts helps keep me from getting doms which is nice. 

• Like 1

2/26/18

Training (N)

Meditation  (Y) it was a nice day so I meditation in the woods. Got about 10 mins. It was nice. 

Conditioning (pretty good) higher intensity group pt. 

Hp (80) pretty good day for food 

• Like 2

2/27/18 

Training (Y) tkd class 

Meditation (Y) 10 minute guided meditation. 

Conditioning (good) all body weight stuff 

Hp (85) good day for eating. Mostly paleo accept some Greek yogurt  

• Like 1

3/29-4/2 lost track of my habits over Easter break. Did some training but not that much conditioning, meditation, or good diet stuff. Oh well I'll get back into it now that I'm back at school 

• Like 1

4/3/18 

Training (Y) tkd class 

Meditation  (Y) same as earlier, 5 minutes in the morning 

Conditioning (Good) pt day 

Hp (maybe 70) took some hits last week but I did really well today

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 7:04 PM, By365 said:

3/29-4/2 lost track of my habits over Easter break. Did some training but not that much conditioning, meditation, or good diet stuff. Oh well I'll get back into it now that I'm back at school 

Eh. Holidays do that. But it looks like you're getting back on track and it also looks like you did the best you could to manage things while the holidays were on. That's totally normal, and good for you for getting back at it so quickly!

• Thanks 1

4/4/18 pretty good day 

Training (N) 

Conditioning  (ok) planned on doing aerobic work, did calisthenics instead. 

Meditation  (Y) short session in the afternoon. 

Hp (75) another good day for diet, getting it back up 

• Like 1

4/5/18

Training (Y) twice actually, tkd class as well as some supplementary training in the afternoon 

Conditioning (pretty good) group pt 

Meditation  (Y) short morning session 

Hp (78) still going up, breakfast wasn't ideal but lunch and dinner were great 

• Like 1

4/6/18 

Training (N) 

Meditation  (Y) about 10 minutes 

Conditioning (Very good) I got a well rounded workout in and some yoga to help by sore back 

Hp (80) good meals all day, still eating too much easter candy to see huge gains but hey, 

• Like 1