• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

PollyannaAgain

Pollyanna Preps to De-Stress

I've been trying to lose weight for some time now, and nothing has worked. As a matter of fact, I've gotten heavier and more tired. The more I try, the less seems to work. I would like to give up, so if you're reading this, please be patient with me. I'm not in a very good place right now. The only other thing I can think of that I haven't fiddled with is stress. So that's what I'm working on this time. And probably for a few challenges after this. For this challenge, I have a list of tasks to work on to help me relax, but my main goal is to 1) explore my stress like a body scan and 2) let go of what I can't change. I probably won't be able to let go of everything right away, of course, but I'm going to put effort into it.

I'm not going to post my explorations on here because with a body scan, you're just supposed to observe things and not try to change them. I will mention the topic I'm exploring for the day and give it a 1-10 rating for how much it feels like it's affecting me to keep myself accountable as far as actually doing things. When I come to something I need to simply accept and let go, I will post about it, if it's not too private. I appreciate encouraging comments, but I'm going to spoiler the "Let it go" stuff and ask that you not worry about providing helpful suggestions for dealing with them. Everything outside the spoiler is fair game though, so feel free to post on that if you want. :) 

As a baseline, I took two online tests (linked), and will re-take them at the end of the challenge. I don't expect much to change, given that I'm just trying to explore things at the moment. I got a score of 75 on this one, and a score of "High between 43-70" on this one. I went ahead and took two different ones because there's a lot of variation in what the tests ask you. I would have really liked to see a cortisol test or something, but the docs would probably just poo-poo me, so I'm settling for quizzes.

And here is the list of stuff I'm working on to help myself relax:

• Health support: Multi-vitamin/probiotic/fish oil 1x/day; 64oz water/day; min. 7 hours sleep/night; min. 5K steps/day; MFP
  • Increase meditation: Aiming for 20 minutes/day, can be spread over multiple sessions
  • Yoga nightly
  • Develop a wake up routine
  • Develop a wind down routine
  • Schedule and actually do self-care tasks (trim nails, lotion, etc.)
  • Fix bedroom up (it's cluttered from moving stuff around, need to get rid of old clothes, etc.)
  • Make things easier--pack the gym bag/pick out clothes the night before, etc.

Thanks for reading and good luck with your challenge!

• Like 2

I hope de-stressing yourself will help you meet your goals! I've found a winding down routine really helped me shake off the day and settle into good sleep, so I'm excited to see if it will help you as well. 

• Like 2

Thanks for checking on me @zeroh13 !

I've been experimenting with things that help me relax in the evening. So far, meditation, hot tea, and a hot shower are very helpful. Reading would probably be if I didn't go overboard and keep going until 2am...I am picking out my clothes at night, and my gym bag is packed, though I haven't used it yet. I'm going to pack up my home workout equipment tonight and get it to my office this week in case I take a notion to do something. I'm struggling a little to increase my meditation time. I need to try doing it earlier in the day so I have less to do at night.

I haven't addressed anything on the stress list yet, though after the nightmare I had yesterday night, I should probably get on it. In it, I somehow got chopped into three pieces, but I was still alive, and all my family had to do was put me back together and it would be okay, but they kept finding other things they "had" to do. Like, they would literally be reaching for me and then just wander away. So yeah. Gonna talk about my family tonight, which should be delightful. I'm sure there are things on that front that I need to let go, but the rest of it is going to need more work. Anywho, topic and rating for tonight: Family, 7-9 (depending on the day)

Side note: My first KPA workshop is next weekend, and I'm SUPER nervous. Like, can't sleep (oh, wait, couldn't do that already) nervous. I'm both looking forward to and terrified of the workshop. What if I fail? What if Iz won't do any of the behaviors we've worked so hard on? What if she won't work with the other workshop people? WHAT IF SHE BARKS AND WE GET THROWN OUT??? But I'm looking forward to it b/c having a general idea of what will happen in the rest will likely cut my stress about this in half. Iz is smart and we're working hard, so the terror is probably uncalled for, but that's my MO--be incredibly hard on myself only to discover that I'm perfectly fine...

• Like 1

My KPA teacher finally sent a basic outline for how the workshop is going to go this weekend. This would have helped me relax a couple of weeks ago, but isn't really helping now.

Tonight I'm going to observe all the stress that KPA has created...It's an 8.

• Like 1

We survived our workshop! It wasn't nearly as all or nothing as they made it sound. We need to work on crating more, and on relaxing in the hotel room. I was so focused on getting her to enjoy the crate in various locations that I didn't even think about how the strange noises of a hotel might affect her. That coupled with the long car ride kind of stacked things against us this weekend, so she was very stressed to be separated from me. But now that I know, we can work on it, and I think I can set her up to have a much better time at the next one. Despite being upset about the crating, she was still able to perform all of her new behaviors and learn a new one from me and from someone else.

She also didn't bark at anyone at all, except me (because I was working with another dog!), and a wheelchair that belonged to another participant when it rolled by. She'd never been around one before, and it was more of an alert bark than a freak out ohmygoshgetaway bark, and the girl didn't mind when I explained, so it worked out okay. She was a very good girl this weekend!

I kinda put a pause on my de-stress stuff last week while we were making final preparations for the workshop, but it worked out okay because now that I know how the workshops are going to be, I feel like I lost a million pounds! And that feeling of relief even got me thinking I could go to the gym today. I have my bag ready to go, thanks to this challenge, so I'm going to at least change into my gym clothes today and walk over. :)

I hope you all had a great weekend!

• Like 1

Hey, sorry I fell off the face of the world again

I am so glad to hear the workshop went so well and that Puppy behaved so well.

Hotels are a funny thing. They have weird noises and smells and all these people's smell that you will never see. I can see that freaking out Puppy. Heck, I never relax very well in a hotel room either because of the same reasons.

I am so glad that the workshop helped you to destress since now  you know what these are like and how much easier they will be for both of you.

Did you make it to the gym?

I am so happy that things went well.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bean Sidhe said:

Hey, sorry I fell off the face of the world again

I am so glad to hear the workshop went so well and that Puppy behaved so well.

Hotels are a funny thing. They have weird noises and smells and all these people's smell that you will never see. I can see that freaking out Puppy. Heck, I never relax very well in a hotel room either because of the same reasons.

I am so glad that the workshop helped you to destress since now  you know what these are like and how much easier they will be for both of you.

Did you make it to the gym?

I am so happy that things went well.

No worries! I haven't been participating much myself. Thanks for stopping by. :)

I didn't make it to the gym. I was about to leave when someone I'm supposed to do a project with appeared and wanted "just a few minutes of my time." She wouldn't leave, so I had to stay. I didn't get much of a break at all yesterday, which was annoying, but I did take the dogs for a walk that evening so I didn't waste the energy I had.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, PollyannaAgain said:

No worries! I haven't been participating much myself. Thanks for stopping by. :)

This challenge has been hard to focus, or maybe that is just me. I am hoping now that it is starting to warm up (Finally) it will be easier to keep on top of things

19 hours ago, PollyannaAgain said:

I didn't make it to the gym. I was about to leave when someone I'm supposed to do a project with appeared and wanted "just a few minutes of my time." She wouldn't leave, so I had to stay. I didn't get much of a break at all yesterday, which was annoying, but I did take the dogs for a walk that evening so I didn't waste the energy I had.

Don't you love the 'I only need a few minutes" which is really "I need you for about an hour or so, so get comfortable" . I am sorry you didn't make it to the gym but it sounds like you and the dogs got a good walk in os that is better than not walking at all. I think you did a great job making the most of a bad situation.

• Like 1