• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Angor

Filling a Muay Thai Bag

I bought a Muay Thai bag. It's 6 ft, 150 lbs, unfilled. Does anyone have any tips, or instructions, or links for how to fill one? I've found a couple of videos, on YouTube, but I wanted to see if anyone, here, had any other good resources for this.

Thanks, everyone!

In case anyone else is curious, on possible ways to fill a bag, I found this on a different site. There are a couple of details that I would still like to clarify, like, do you put sand bags in the bottom? Do you layer the sand and cloth? How many layers? If I find any more information, I'll post here.

Here's the site it was from: http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/filling-a-muay-thai-bag.563054/

But to answer your question- most fill the bag with cut up cloth. Any type of cloth can work, sheets, t-shirts, pants, any thing. And I mean that too - I have soft jeans (just make sure you cut off extra bulky parts like belt loops, and any hard parts such as fasteners, and obviously zippers), khaki pants and shorts, sheets, curtains, dress shirts (make sure you cut off buttons), boxers, gym shorts, towels, and socks. That's just what I can remember off the top of my head.

A forum member found a site that sells bulk rag for a good price, I don't remember it though. Local options can include any type of thrift store - Salvation Army, Goodwill, etc. Sheets/curtains/etc would probably be the most efficient bet. Also, make sure you ask around all your friends for any extra clothes they don't want anymore, have worn out, don't fit them, etc. The amount of clothing needed to fill the bag well will probably surprise you. You need ALOT of cloth.

As far as the actual cutting goes, don't do anything too large, because you want it to lay as much of the cloth as flat as possible. For myself, I tried keeping the size of the cloth at most, about the size of my hand if you drew a rectangle around it.

A piece of advice - get cutting as soon as possible. If it's a one-person job, and you think you can cut it all at once, or even in a week, you can't. Not only did a personally wear out a pair of scissors in the process of filling my bag, but you'll basically start bruising/hurting your thumb and fingers (depending on how you hold the scissors) after a while. 

I suggest keeping a bag of uncut cloth by your tv, by your bed, anywhere you might find yourself just lounging from time to time. And when you are, just cut a piece or two, it doesn't require that much attention. You'll surprise yourself how much you can cut if you slize up an article of clothing every time you watch a show, etc.

Don't worry too much about trying to lay everything flat. Especially at first, because it's a pain in the ass trying to reach all the way to the bottom. All the cloth at the bottom is going to get compressed from the rest of the weight, so it's more important to just make sure you're not throwing in large chunks of cloth at the same time, which could create gaps. Fill at least a foot of the bag or so, then flatten it down. Fill another foot, flatten it down. 

Then, some people will take small bags of sand (a ziplock bag, larger than sandwich size but not the huge ones, for example). Putting a couple of these across the top can help keep the cloth down once it's full. Otherwise, as I've had to deal with on multiple occasions, the chains will pull the top inwards, which causes the cloth to ride up, forming it like a cone, and you get lots of loose room on the side.

If you want to get really fancy, you can find some type of PVC piping or similar (avoid anything too heavy or capable of ripping the bag. Fill the pipe with sand and cap the ends. Then hold the pipe in the middle and fill the cloth in around the pipe. This will give the bag a more firm center.

If you can get access to some type of foam (I think LuckyStrike used close-cell foam? I don't know anything about it, personally), people have lined the inside of the bag and then filled the middle with the cloth. This will provide more cushioning for your strikes, obviously.

Uh, well, hate to say it but I have more experience hitting the things than I do filling them. I'd be surprised if there wasn't someone somewhere out here who didn't have some experience with that...