• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Mistr

Mistr's spring cleaning

Mistr's Spring Cleaning Challenge

latest?cb=20120328104043&f=1

Several things need to get cleaned up in my life. Thankfully I'm not facing as daunting a task as pictured above, but it will take some work.

A) Clean up my eating habits. My weight has crept up alarmingly. The odd part is that I don't think I've been eating much more than I need. Certainly there has been more pizza and chocolate than strictly necessary. The free cappuccinos from the machine at work may be contributing. I know I've been eating a lot of chocolate at work. 

The other thing I changed this year was taking supplements. Vitamins, fish oil, magnesium oxide, glucosamine, often melatonin. I can't really say if any of them are making me feel better overall. My knees are still having frequent bad days. I do think they are doing questionable things to my GI tract.

Out with the old:

1. No vitamins, no supplements, no caffeine. Ibuprofen is allowed.
  2. No snacking. Specifically nothing between breakfast and lunch; nothing between lunch and 4:30pm; nothing after 8pm unless I miss dinner completely.

In with the new:

1. Cook more vegetables. (Not really a new goal, but at least fresh food)
  2. Make desserts that feature fruit. I don't want to blame the cheesecake I made last month for my current woes. However, I could make treats that have more nutrition and fewer calories per gram.
  3. I bought a new bag of cacao nibs. The previous batch had an unpleasant diesel odor. Replace all the sugared chocolate in my desk with fresh cacao nibs and unsweetened chocolate.

B) Clean up my schedule. I've been struggling to get to bed on time. That means that I'm not getting up early enough to do things before work. Sometimes I get those things done in the evening. Too often I stay up late to get some things done and get even more behind. My previous strategy of making time for fun things helped, but not enough. 

1. Stop doing things at 9:00pm, get to bed by 9:30pm. On Friday and Saturday nights I can move this back by an hour.
  2. Get up at 5:30am during the week. On Mondays when I have aikido I will get up at 5:00am.
  3. Do zen in the morning. My follow-through rate on doing zen in the evening is dismal. A short sit in the morning is better than nothing or staying up late
  4. Leave work on time. This will give me more time to do things before 9pm. Yes, the traffic is worse during rush hour. That is still better than wasting time on the computer at work.

C) Clean up my aikido. Sensei was pointing out some shortcomings at the advanced classes this weekend. In addition to the constant reminders to watch my posture, bend my knees and keep my center forward work on:

1. Seminar notes. I'm going to seminars at the beginning and end of the challenge. Write notes each day and put them somewhere that I can find them. Probably Google Docs.
  2. Hamni and line. Keep my feet and center facing where they need to be, engage my hips.
  3. Ukemi. I have been getting a lot of feedback on improving my ukemi.
  • Stay engaged and be aware of places where I am open.
  • Learn not to move to unsafe positions.
  • Take beautiful ukemi even when my partner is struggling to do the technique. I can leave the teaching for the nights when I'm the instructor.

D) Clean up my home. The regular house cleaning is in pretty good shape right now. Well, at least the areas I'm responsible for. ;) Areas we don't use every day have been neglected.

• Clean up the garden and yard
  • Organize the guys, buy mulch and put it on the gardens (this should have been done last year. Or the year before. Waaaaaaay overdue)
  • Find homes for boxes in the mud room

Other things need to get done too, notably filing taxes. I'm going to give myself a reward for getting them done early. TBD

• Like 7

Once again, I'd like to say how annoyed I am that I can't make your seminar. -_-

Also I can't make the seminar in NY I wanted to try and go to, because it's at the same time.  Or the one the week before.  Grrr.....  So much aikido, so little time.

15 hours ago, Mistr said:
  • Take beautiful ukemi even when my partner is struggling to do the technique. I can leave the teaching for the nights when I'm the instructor.

I had the observation a couple weeks ago that I was glad when I was watching some of our instructors play on the mat, rather than teaching.  I know teaching is always kind of entertaining, but just seeing people play is always good for the soul.

• Like 1

I'm working on sleep stuff too. It's a tougher nut to crack than I want to admit, but I've been making a point of getting 7 hours or so at least and while there are nights when I lay in bed rather than sleep the full time, the fact of being present for the opportunity to sleep is really helpful.

But yeah, schedule is a pretty powerful thing. It either gives you the room to do the things you want or it crushes you completely. There really doesn't seem to be an in-between state of things. I'm right there with you in terms of wanting to clear some space for my life, so, let's get on this.

• Like 3

Week 1 days 1-2

Monday

• Eating: Good on not snacking. I cooked green beans with caramelized onions. Elf was cooking corned beef with potatos and cabbage.
  • Schedule: I had a reprieve on getting up early because my weapons partner was out of town and I had to go downtown for jury duty. The jury duty worked out with the best of all possible outcomes. I got to sit and knit for two hours, then was dismissed because two cases settled instead of going to trial. I got back to work in time to cover all the important things. Left work on time. Stopped doing things at 9:30 instead of 9:00. Even if I had been in bed on time, Dumbledore came in to talk to me at 10.
  • Aikido: day off
  • Home: worked on laundry, washed dishes

Tuesday

• Eating: Good on not snacking in the morning. Caved in and had chocolates in the afternoon. I went to a meeting at a coffee shop after work and felt virtuous about having tea instead of a decaf cappuchino. After that I cooked Philly cheesesteak patties that went through the freezer melt-down last month. Turns out they are sausage patties with onions and peppers. Tasty but not what I was expecting. I also finished up the brussel sprouts.
  • Schedule: Got up at 5:30am and did core yoga and zen. Finished evening activities at 9:15 instead of 9:00. Almost got to bed on time.
  • Aikido: day off. Wrote up minutes from the dojo meeting on Sunday and got those posted. Shugyo.
  • Home: Not home long enough to do anything.

New thing I did today - squat rack training.

My work now has squat racks in three of the exercise rooms. Not in the one closest to my building, but I can cope with that. I have now been officially trained on how to do squats, deadlifts and Romanian deadlifts.

@Urgan, what do you recommend for a complete beginner?

The trainer suggested I start with high reps with just the bar twice a week until I get comfortable with it. She recommended 3 sets of 8-10 reps with excellent form. Eventually I would like to do the heavy lifting one day a week. Maybe two so I can split up the lifts.

What are your thoughts on regular and Romanian deadlifts?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Mistr said:

My work now has squat racks in three of the exercise rooms. Not in the one closest to my building, but I can cope with that. I have now been officially trained on how to do squats, deadlifts and Romanian deadlifts.

Awesome, that means you'll get there warmed up, lol.

2 minutes ago, Mistr said:

@Urgan, what do you recommend for a complete beginner?

The trainer suggested I start with high reps with just the bar twice a week until I get comfortable with it. She recommended 3 sets of 8-10 reps with excellent form. Eventually I would like to do the heavy lifting one day a week. Maybe two so I can split up the lifts.

What are your thoughts on regular and Romanian deadlifts?

This is an ocean of a topic, but I'll throw out some quick general points and we can go from there.

Once you feel comfortable that you are able to perform the squat with proper form, there's no need to beat the dead horse with doing them on empty bar. I highly recommend purchasing Starting Strength 3rd edition--it will help you get background on the lifts, form pointers, biomechanics, and the basics on the novice linear progression (novice being someone who has not run a proper linear progression before--not necessarily someone who has never touched a weight or played a sport), which to put it simply is doing a little more weight than the last time you showed up until you reach a point where that is no longer possible--it's the fastest way to make progress and if you film yourself for form check--assuming you have the basic mechanics of the exercises down--is perfectly safe. I did it, I have my 60 year old parents doing it and they are a-okay. Practical Programming goes into more detail on programming for novice and beyond (duh, lol). I think it is an excellent starting point and you may not choose to pursue the intermediate programming mentioned in either book, but the novice part is strongly, strongly recommended for a general strength trainee.

To reiterate, I am presuming that all-purpose strength more than aesthetics is your goal (very important to understand, that changes the program a good bit). You'll need a minimum of 2x week exposure to make real progress. 1x week is not easily sustained because the time between each session is too great for the strength adaptation to stick--you will get stuck and find trouble making progress. Broadly speaking, for novices that can increase the weight session to session, it's not a matter of doing a lot of complex programming, just small jumps for each exercise each time. At first, the set x rep scheme is 3x5, but you'll quickly find you sustain progress at 5x3 after a few sessions and you just keep that going for a while. When it starts to become difficult/impossible to progress, there are tricks to keeping things going from there. Later on you'll have need to break training up into heavier and lighter days, which I think is what you mean? You can do a split routine with upper and lower body work separated into their own days, that's what I do, 2 upper and 2 lower body days staggered because I've got a work schedule that demands shorter sessions.

3x8-10 is a good range for accessory lifts and physique/hypertrophy work. Strength is best acquired by the novice at 3-5 rep ranges, enough volume to straddle the spectrum of raw maximal strength (1 rep) and endurance (10+ reps). 

Conventional deadlifts are awesome and highly recommended for anyone with the ability to bend over. Romanians (RDL) are an accessory to the deadlift, something you might consider later when you get past the novice phase and they become more viable to spend time on. I have nothing bad to say about RDLs except they are often implemented when people get bored and no better reason lol--and that isn't the RDL's fault, now is it? Your time is valuable and the KISS principle applies big time until you can't just come in and add 1-2lbs to the bar each time, yeah? That reminds me, as soon as possible, you're going to want to obtain fractional plates if you do not already have them. Trust me, if you do bench or overhead press (and you should, if able), you will need 'em to make steady sustainable progress sooner than you'd think. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Urgan said:

This is an ocean of a topic, but I'll throw out some quick general points and we can go from there.

Thank you, this helps me a lot. I can do lifting on M-Th or T-F. Probably along with some of the warm-ups and mobility work from GMB Elements.

I've been doing mostly yoga at lunch for the last month or so. I can see real improvement in my balance and ability to bend over. All those forward folds. The core yoga routine is getting easier and I can see better ab definition. Even though I still struggle with some of the moves, it doesn't feel like a workout because I never get winded and hardly sweat. There is no clear progression in yoga. I think strength training will be a good complement. As the weather warms up I might add biking. There are several places where I could park and bike part of the way to work. Home to work would take too long most days (>1 hour). Or Elf could drop me off and use the car for the day. :D 

Week 1 days 3-4

Wednesday

• Eating: Sooooooooo much temptation at work this week. I had fresh fruit with cream cheese dip mid-morning, more fruit and a brownie mid-afternoon. On the plus side, I just had an apple, a handful of almonds and a Kashi trailmix bar for dinner. No food after aikido.
  • Schedule: Eight hours of sleep because I turned the alarm off at 5am. I got to bed at 9:45pm. Getting closer. I still had time to sit zen in the morning because I had a doctor's appointment at 8:30 instead of work at 8:00. I got steroid injections in my big toe joints again. It was interesting going from the pain of sore joints to the pain of injections. Different texture, similar intensity. By the end of the day both had faded. WIN! I made good use of my time between work and aikido. I was moving steadily on things when I got home but still didn't get done until 9:20. In bed at 9:45 again.
  • Aikido: Taught. Good class. A bunch of the senior people who were helping out with the beginner's class have stuck around. So has one of the beginners. Sensei asked that I share Wednesday night class with one of our senior shodans. He also has a lot of experience in jujitsu. We are going to take turns teaching. That will give me two more training nights a month. Win-win.
  • Home: I dropped off stuff at the charity shop, after only two months in my trunk. Did laundry when I got home so I will have clean gis for the weekend.

Thursday

• Eating: Okay in the morning, not so good in the afternoon.
  • Schedule: Got up at 5:30am feeling rested. I had plenty of time and sat zen for 30 minutes without even trying hard. Chances of me getting done on time this evening are slim to none. Dumbledore and I are going out to a movie he wants to see (Call me by your name), then I have to pack for the weekend. I have to get up at 5:00am tomorrow to meet my friends at 6:00 to drive to the seminar. That will put us there an hour and a half early. Or maybe an hour early if we hit rush hour traffic. At least I'm not driving and can nap in the car.
  • Aikido: day off
  • Home: TBD. Not much time tonight.

I will have internet in the evenings but I don't plan on being online much this weekend. I want to write up my notes from the seminar and soak in the hot tub in the evenings. Have a great weekend everyone!

• Like 3

On 3/22/2018 at 6:13 PM, Mistr said:

I've been doing mostly yoga at lunch for the last month or so. I can see real improvement in my balance and ability to bend over. All those forward folds. The core yoga routine is getting easier and I can see better ab definition. Even though I still struggle with some of the moves, it doesn't feel like a workout because I never get winded and hardly sweat. There is no clear progression in yoga. I think strength training will be a good complement

Yay for yoga!!! I'm glad that you are getting more flexibility back, that is great!  And core yoga is another one of my favorite things.  

I'm excited that your steroid injections helped your feet, and that you got eight hours of sleep!  Yay for some relief!!

I hope your seminar goes well, can't wait to hear all about it!

On 3/22/2018 at 6:13 PM, Mistr said:

I want to write up my notes from the seminar and soak in the hot tub in the evenings.

This sounds like a wonderful way to end a day at a seminar.  I should do that when I go to the USAF summer camp.  I'm sure my roommates won't mind me hogging the bathroom, right? >.> <.<

Also, you know, if you want to share said notes from the seminar, I'm sure people here won't hate you, either. >.> <.<

The seminar was AMAZING.

I'm afraid my notes are in cryptic shorthand that would not help anyone else. For example, on Friday Nicole sensei worked on spirals. On Sunday she had us work on waves and undertow in our techniques. Hawk sensei had us work on precision and line.

One of the senseis did a direct pairing of jo and open-hand technique. He had us do two reps with the jo, then two open-hand. The jo is great for showing lines.

I knew from last year that one of the great things about this friendship seminar is the quality of the people on the mat. Lots of experienced people from other dojos. In our region you can't judge rank by whether someone wears a hakama. Sometimes you can see a person has a colored belt under their hakama. Lots of dojos don't use colored belts at all. It's hard to see if a belt is black or white under a hakama. So Saturday morning the sensei asked us all to show up without our hakama. He had us work on ground techniques from jujitsu. Fascinating stuff. Also enlightening to see that the mat was 95% yudansha.

I came home with tons of inspiration and a cold. I might have taken sick time but my boss and the other team lead were both out for spring break with their kids. We had a colleague from Europe with us this week for training. I was responsible for half the training sessions between the ones I normally do and covering for the people who were out. Turned out that other people were sick besides me. Monday we had one person on vacation, two called in sick and two were in training. The rest of us got hammered with work. Tuesday was only a little better for me because I was doing training in the afternoon so I didn't take any new requests. Things eased up as people recovered and the workload dropped to normal.

I did so well about getting enough sleep at the seminar. My roommates and I turned off the lights at 9:30pm. Unfortunately there was only a pool and no hot tub. We were mentally exhausted from all the concepts. Six hours of aikido would be a lot if we had been going full speed. Mostly we went slow and tried to do the new things. Challenging. That said, I got 9.5 hours of sleep Friday night and 8.5 Saturday night. I was even good about getting to bed on time on Sunday.

After that my sleep discipline went to the dogs. I was sick and tired and made bad choices. Today I got up on time and sat zen. I want to get back on track with sleep and zen this weekend. My exercise was spotty this week too. I'm giving myself a pass on that.

In household news, Dumbledore's car broke down while he was in Minneapolis last weekend. He had to leave it at a repair place and rent a car to get home. He looked into public transport but the timing did not work. He was trying to get back in time for work on Monday and was frustrated when more delays made that not work. Another expensive car repair on a car that is on its last legs. I feel guilty for not having made more progress on used car buying research.

To top off an expensive week, Wednesday night I did laundry and noticed that the drying was not heating. It is electric. It goes around just fine and blows air. Just cold air. We got it used last summer. This time we will buy from a repair shop instead of a person on Craigslist. Tomorrow we are going car and appliance shopping. To be followed by extreme financial sheninaigans.

• Like 2

Fridge, car AND dryer???????  Good grief.  Sorry you have to deal with that.

The seminar sounds wonderful :-)  Congrats on your sleep as well!  How was food?

Good grief, all three? That's nuts. Shenanigans ahoy~.

I'm sorry to hear that you didn't get the chance to properly recover, but it sounds like work is going better now at least so you have a chance to wind down and get yourself some rest too.

On 3/31/2018 at 12:13 AM, Teirin said:

The seminar sounds wonderful :-)  Congrats on your sleep as well!  How was food?

Food was pretty decent. Friday night the dojo hosted a pizza party. There was some salad and homemade cake in addition to the pizza. The friends I went with share my views on a lot of things. We are all women in our 50s who have been training a long time. We went to places that serve soup and salads for lunch. On Saturday night we opted to go to a Thai restaurant instead of joining 30+ people at the big dojo party. Lots of protein and veggies. And rice. After six hours of training I had no regrets about the carbs.

I think it worked out okay overall. On Monday morning after the seminar I was down 1.5 pounds for the week. This morning I'm down another 0.6 pounds. I feel good about the trend. Still another 6 pounds to go.

Friday night I went to aikido. Fun classes. The first hour was weapons. Someone asked for take-aways. Sensei had us do jo strikes first. It is always a shock to see how much less coordinated I am on the left because our boken work is right-handed. Open-hand class was at a nice moderate pace where I could take ukemi and move smoothly. Perfect for getting back into aerobic training after all the slow studious movement at the seminar.

Saturday morning I made waffles and bacon for breakfast so we would be in a good mood for shopping. Dumbledore and I looked at new and used dryers. We decided to go with a new one this time. I learned a lot from the last used one. It cost money to rent a truck to go get it. We had to pay our plumber to disconnect the gas from the old dryer. Then it took us months to get the dead dryer out of the basement and to a scrap yard. All for a dryer that worked for less than a year. This time we have a warranty, delivery, hook-up and removal of the old dryer.

Family updates

Spoiler

Last night we had an honest-to-goodness sit-down dinner with me, Dumbledore and Hermes. Elf was working and much missed. Elf did part of the cooking by putting the turkey in the oven to roast while I was at the dojo. This was the first time Hermes had been home in days and the first chance I had to catch up with him since his spring break. Hermes is counting down the days (40 left) to graduation. He is in the negotiation stage of a new secondary relationship and is thrilled about it.

(Did I tell you this already?) Elf decided to withdraw from classes. They are just not motivated to get through the assignments. They got a new job at a restaurant downtown. It looks like they will be able to get full-time hours. Maybe more. They are keeping their current server job on Friday nights at the little place close to home. I have my suspicions about how long that will last.

Elf wants to save up enough money to move in with friends. Makes sense. I wanted to get out of my parents house when I was 18. Elf is 21. Of course they want to live on their own. Dumbledore is afraid that Elf's friends are going to run short on money and take advantage of Elf. Could happen. I think it will be educational for Elf to live with their friends. We are agreed that we will keep Elf's room the way it is so that Elf can move back if things go south. Or maybe the prospect of free rent and groceries will be attractive. TBD

Dumbledore is getting back on track with going to the gym and working on his creative projects. I think he feels guilty about having dropped these for the last several months. He is cranky and defensive about it. I hope he gets more cheerful as he starts to see some positive changes.

My copy of Starting Strength showed up on Saturday. I read through most of the first section on squat form. Clearly the trainer at work is coming from a different background. She had me doing squats with the bar high and not even trying to go down below parallel. I get to go practice proper form today. I was trying it yesterday with a jo and found I had to use a very wide grip to get the jo on my shoulder blades. Aside from that, it was more comfortable than above my shoulders. I'll see how it goes with a real bar.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mistr said:

I think it worked out okay overall. On Monday morning after the seminar I was down 1.5 pounds for the week. This morning I'm down another 0.6 pounds. I feel good about the trend. Still another 6 pounds to go.

giphy.gif

4 minutes ago, Mistr said:

Friday night I went to aikido. Fun classes. The first hour was weapons. Someone asked for take-aways. Sensei had us do jo strikes first. It is always a shock to see how much less coordinated I am on the left because our boken work is right-handed. Open-hand class was at a nice moderate pace where I could take ukemi and move smoothly. Perfect for getting back into aerobic training after all the slow studious movement at the seminar.

Our bokken work is for both sides and this is still so incredibly true.

5 minutes ago, Mistr said:

Saturday morning I made waffles and bacon for breakfast so we would be in a good mood for shopping. Dumbledore and I looked at new and used dryers. We decided to go with a new one this time. I learned a lot from the last used one. It cost money to rent a truck to go get it. We had to pay our plumber to disconnect the gas from the old dryer. Then it took us months to get the dead dryer out of the basement and to a scrap yard. All for a dryer that worked for less than a year. This time we have a warranty, delivery, hook-up and removal of the old dryer.

There are trade-offs for used sometimes. Sometimes you get a good deal, sometimes the good deal gets you.

5 minutes ago, Mistr said:

My copy of Starting Strength showed up on Saturday. I read through most of the first section on squat form. Clearly the trainer at work is coming from a different background. She had me doing squats with the bar high and not even trying to go down below parallel. I get to go practice proper form today. I was trying it yesterday with a jo and found I had to use a very wide grip to get the jo on my shoulder blades. Aside from that, it was more comfortable than above my shoulders. I'll see how it goes with a real bar.

Cool. And yup. Done correctly, your knees will be safe and the barbell will definitely feel better resting on your shoulders/back than atop your neck lol. Don't be afraid to experiment a bit with your grip width and stance to find a position that works for you. And a word to the wise, you may have to deal with said trainer trying to "correct" you for a little while. Got headphones?

Spoiler

Given my dim view of room mates, I'd say it's wise to keep Elf's room open and to be ready to catch them when the roomies disappoint.

2 hours ago, Mistr said:

I honestly tend toward low-bar just because it's more comfy to rest the bar on my traps than it is on my neck.

Otherwise, yeah, most people seem to think that you can't go deep in the squat. This is an error. You may have to correct the trainer on this.

4 hours ago, Urgan said:

Cool. And yup. Done correctly, your knees will be safe and the barbell will definitely feel better resting on your shoulders/back than atop your neck lol. Don't be afraid to experiment a bit with your grip width and stance to find a position that works for you. And a word to the wise, you may have to deal with said trainer trying to "correct" you for a little while. Got headphones?

Luckily I am using the old, less-popular exercise room in my old building. Chances of a trainer randomly showing up are nil.

On the downside, I found that I could not get the bar down below the line of my shoulders with the widest possible grip. My shoulders were not happy about it at all. Not that the weight was a problem, more the position was too much of a stretch. I was so thrilled to start lifting. Now it looks like I'm going to have to invest some time in shoulder mobility work first. :( I can practice doing form for real squats with a jo. And I can start doing deadlifts. I'll have to read that section this week.

Plan for tonight is to do laundry and educate myself on local candidates. Election tomorrow for school board, county board and judges.

• Like 1

Week 2 days 6-7 and Week 3 days 1-3

Getting back on track after a week of being sick and making poor sleep choices.

Weekend:

Saturday was dryer shopping, some work around the house (no laundry ;)), grocery shopping and a planning meeting.  I got a lot of knitting done at the planning meeting. Pretty good on food choices. Good use of time although it did not feel like it.

Sunday I hosted open mat and stayed at the dojo for zen. For the first half hour of zazen I was sitting by myself across from the other people. In the second half hour there were people sitting on either side of me. It felt different. My mind wandered more when I was sitting by myself. Not the same as how my mind wanders at home either. Having other people there makes me feel like I need to use my best form. I don't think they would actually notice, but I feel something like peer pressure. Maybe this is why Roshi says that sitting with other people is an important aspect of practice.

Food was good. I cooked a full meal that gave us lunches for the week. Stayed up too late talking to Dumbledore's mom. It was her birthday. I was supposed to call her earlier and forgot.

Monday

• Eating: Okay. I had an egg as a snack mid-morning and an apple and cacoa nibs in the afternoon. Points for cooking the brats that suffered in the freezer melt-down, along with the broccoli from a week ago. Too much pie with dinner
  • Aikido: practice before work.
  • Schedule: Only half an hour short on sleep to start the week. Stayed too long on FB downloading photos of Elf.
  • Home: worked on laundry and finished a novel.

Tuesday

• Eating: Good on not snacking in the morning. Lots of after-Easter chocolates in the afternoon. For some odd reason I was hungry and also had a granola bar. Cooked swiss chard with bacon. More reasonable serving of pie.
  • Schedule: Got up at 5:50am and did zen. Did my civic duty by voting on the way home. Almost got to bed on time.
  • Aikido: day off. 
  • Home: More laundry, put away clean dishes.

Wednesday

• Eating: Good. No snacking. I just had a mocha for lunch, then had dinner early because I was starving. No more food after 5:30pm.
  • Schedule: Strange day because I went to a funeral with Elf in the afternoon. The small child of friends died out of the blue. Elf did a lot of babysitting for the kid last spring and summer while the dad was finishing law school. Beautiful ceremony for a sad occasion. That gave me an extra hour at home before I had to leave for the dojo. I made good use of it to get things together for Thursday. That left me enough open time after practice to sit zen and get to bed on time.
  • Aikido: Taught. Good class. I covered some of the basic movements from the friendship seminar.
  • Home: Only time for routine chores.

I feel like I'm starting to get back on my normal schedule. Hopefully I can stick to that tonight and tomorrow.

Yarn_Quest_3-27-18a_small2.jpgYarn_Quest_3-27-18b_small2.jpg

Scarf progress

I'm making good progress although I'm far behind the release schedule. The photos show five chapters of the story along with the central logo. I have three more chapters to go. There was no way I could have finished this by the end of March, which was the cutoff for the prize drawing. At this point I'm hoping to get it done before the end of May. I need a smaller project to take along for vacation.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Mistr said:

Too much Pie with dinner

FTFY.

Schedule: Strange day because I went to a funeral with Elf in the afternoon. The small child of friends died out of the blue. Elf did a lot of babysitting for the kid last spring and summer while the dad was finishing law school. Beautiful ceremony for a sad occasion. That gave me an extra hour at home before I had to leave for the dojo. I made good use of it to get things together for Thursday. That left me enough open time after practice to sit zen and get to bed on time.

:( That's not how it's supposed to work. I'm sorry for their loss.

Yarn_Quest_3-27-18a_small2.jpgYarn_Quest_3-27-18b_small2.jpg

Scarf progress

Oh, that is pretty.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Teirin said:

I love your knit RPG scarf!  You might also find this interesting (ravelry link).  I love it but would never finish it. 

I like the pattern. I don't think I'd sign up for another double-knit scarf anytime soon. Doubleknitting is easy but rather slow, because you have twice as many stitches per row to get two sides. I'm ready to be done with the scarf. I did a 10-row pattern last night while out at a coffee shop with Dumbledore. I figure I have about 200 rows more to go. If it takes me 7 minutes per row, that is another 23 hours of knitting. I can knit a plain row of 100 stitches in about 5 minutes. The pattern rows take longer because I have to pause to check the pattern and count stitches.

What I actually want to knit next is a pair of gloves for myself. I might do doubleknitting on the cuffs to make them warmer. It will be a while before I can start them because I need to spin some of the yarn first. I'll probably start a pair of socks to knit while travelling. I have sock yarn I bought on sale that would be easy to work up.

• Like 1

Sock knitting is so fun!  Any particular pattern?  Also, what kind of heels do you prefer?  I keep ending up doing flap heels, but should do better with short row heels at some point.

I am so sorry to hear about the small child.  That is not how this is supposed to work.  The little ones are supposed to get bigger.  I am really sorry.

I love how your scarf is coming along!  It looks great.  The patterns are quite pretty and I love that it's a tapestry of your adventures!!

It's cool to hear about your teaching and how that alters your perspective on what you're doing!!  I hope it's going well.  

• Like 1