• Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Starkanda

And Now for Something Completely Different...

Recommended Posts

Hi Monks!

I'm recovering from injury, so plans have changed this month! (but who knows, maybe it's for the better)

 

Quick n dirty list:

1. Defeat Mount Laundry (not adding a second quest here, this one's tough enough, and evaded me last challenge! seeing that awful pile day in and day out increases my stress level like crazy)

2. Eat like a normal human* but track food in My Fitness Pal.

3. Finish a 30 day squat challenge.

4. I want there to be a #4, but I don't know what. Something to do with enjoying life, spending more time outside and with the kids, being more artistic back to my roots....maybe #4 isn't so much of a quest as much as an attitude :-)

 

*meaning no dieting, but eating reasonably healthy, no excessive snacking or bingeing of any kind. Eating the same foods as my family, but reasonable amounts and ENJOYING IT. I've stressed myself and my metabolism so much with dieting, and not even losing weight(!) so I'm going to back off and try to not stress too much.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Starkanda said:

4. I want there to be a #4, but I don't know what. Something to do with enjoying life, spending more time outside and with the kids, being more artistic back to my roots....maybe #4 isn't so much of a quest as much as an attitude :-)

 

Quest is to have and maintain that attitude every day.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So....

update time!

Doing the best I can despite some curve balls thrown my way...

My Fitness Pal is out at the moment, since my phone decided to crap out on me and I'm on a loaner. I can tell it has been helping me, because since I have been on such an even keel using MFP compared to now, but I just have to be a bit more careful keeping myself in check. But not terrible. I notice myself stopping eating sooner (not just finishing things because they are there, for example if I am full or they aren't good). I'm feeling a bit more normal, and this is nice. I worry about gaining weight, but my clothes aren't fitting any worse (my jeans *may* actually be better, hard to say), so fingers crossed.

We've also had colds and stomach bugs in the house recently, Easter weekend, and a week ago a trip out of town to take 2 family members for oral surgery and the aftermath. Things have been a bit crazy to say the least! I haven't done much in the way of actual cooking for a couple weeks, or a proper grocery trip!

My wrist splint is such a drag, fingers crossed it is doing me some good, I am following Doc's orders! Go for a follow up on the 11th, hoping I can get back into some of my previous activity, and just literally being able to use my arm. Can't twist or extend it, imagine life with 2 little ones!

I'm hanging in there but it is rough some times...

Challenges:

1. Laundry- Sweet dreams. Ok, I've got a little time to do it. Haven't touched :( Need to!

2. Eating- As I mentioned above, I've hit a snag with the MFP tracker, but I've been mostly good about keeping things "normal". Have not had any wild binges, keeping my snacking to a minimum.

3. Squats- At least this one is going great, flying colors! I'm about half way through the darn thing, so the sessions are longer. I haven't skipped even one, so yay me!

4. Attitude- Hard to judge. Been doing more things with the kiddos lately, but still having the most busy life making it hard to just get in that mode to relax. A good reminder to me to get some zen in my life. :) 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, on the whole, it sounds like your relationship with food is much-improved. You're eating to sustain yourself, stopping when you want to, and feeling better. That's all quite excellent!

 

On ‎4‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 5:07 PM, Starkanda said:

My wrist splint is such a drag, fingers crossed it is doing me some good, I am following Doc's orders! Go for a follow up on the 11th, hoping I can get back into some of my previous activity, and just literally being able to use my arm. Can't twist or extend it, imagine life with 2 little ones!

 

Oh, yeah, I can imagine that's probably hard to balance. I guess the other arm will be stronger for all the extra work?

 

On ‎4‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 5:07 PM, Starkanda said:

1. Laundry- Sweet dreams. Ok, I've got a little time to do it. Haven't touched :( Need to!

 

Yeah, I'm working on this too. Some of my nicer clothes, to boot.

 

On ‎4‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 5:07 PM, Starkanda said:

3. Squats- At least this one is going great, flying colors! I'm about half way through the darn thing, so the sessions are longer. I haven't skipped even one, so yay me!

 

Huzzah! Way to keep it going!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Kishi said:

Well, on the whole, it sounds like your relationship with food is much-improved. You're eating to sustain yourself, stopping when you want to, and feeling better. That's all quite excellent!

On the whole. I have not been making the healthiest choices of late, which makes this noticeably more challenging (processed stuff really does cause addictive type behavior, at least for my n=1). However, the difference is easy to see, and I'm back on the wagon with healthier options.

I could go on about the weird hangups dieting has given me, things that truly make no sense, that I'm trying to work out now. (things like how certain actual healthy items, in my mind, still register as bad and I don't reach for them, but actual unhealthy items get a pass because I KNOW they are unhealthy and are choosing them anyway "in moderation", it's so crazy!)

23 hours ago, Kishi said:

 

Oh, yeah, I can imagine that's probably hard to balance. I guess the other arm will be stronger for all the extra work?

Hahaha we'll see! I hope not! Opted to not do any upper body work at all so I don't get too unbalanced. So far, I have adjusted to things, but I bet the strength is uneven, how can it not be? The first week was the hardest, I was cramping all over! Tomorrow I see the doc, fingers crossed for good news!

23 hours ago, Kishi said:

 

Yeah, I'm working on this too. Some of my nicer clothes, to boot.

Since the clothes are not putting themselves away on their own, and I am not getting solid blocks of time to just get it done, I've started putting extra stuff away here and there in the morning when the kids are still asleep and I'm getting dressed. If I can outpace the clean stuff coming in, I should be able to get on top of it this way, just slower.

 

Yeah, always sad to see the nice stuff sitting in a pile on the floor!

23 hours ago, Kishi said:

 

Huzzah! Way to keep it going!

Thanks! today is 5 sets of 7 reps of 5 types of squats, that makes 175! The end of the challenge will be 200, and I think I will repeat this challenge next month by starting over using my new howler monkey kettlebell and going deeper into the squats :)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Final results:

 

1. Defeat Mount Laundry - nope. nope. nope. got a little put away but nothing to write home about. Sigh

2. Eat like a normal human* but track food in My Fitness Pal. - This is a good strategy, but the wheels fell off the last couple weeks because my phone broke, i'm stuck with a windows phone until I get a new one :-/ So no apps. C-/D+ Yes I know paper is an option, but the MFP was actually helping me, and I feel lost without it, and instead of eating "like a normal human", I've been slipping back into unhealthy habits. Which may or may not be better than chronic dieting?? Who knows? I feel a bit pudgy right now compared to a couple weeks ago, so I'm obviously concerned

3. Finish a 30 day squat challenge. A+ I completed every day!! Woo hoo!!!

4. spending more time outside and with the kids, being more artistic back to my roots....maybe #4 isn't so much of a quest as much as an attitude :-) B-, got outside more, got some nerf blasters and getting out there with the kiddo and hubby shooting cans :) Doing more gardening, haven't done so much art yet, but alas, there is only so much time.

Overall? Well I got to the end and putt-putted over the finish line, I guess that's something :-P

 

Big thing will be, what do I do next go around?

I was hoping for good news with my wrist, but truth is, it's depressing. Doc has me immobilized 2 more weeks, plus 2 weeks of PT before even looking at it again. I'm pretty sure it's not healing, but who knows? The brace is getting increasingly more inconvenient in my life. can't twist, can't extend my arm, can't bear weight. it may not look like much, but it's turning my life into so many "can'ts" that it's getting depressing. And the phone situation is frustrating, as I've decided to wait until next month to get the phone I want that comes out then, rather than get whatever's out now, since it's only a couple weeks. Will I stay with the Monks next month? Who knows?

 

I am getting ideas together for next challenge though, about cleaning my eating back up (I am intrigued by the EM2LW philosophy, but I know I'm not doing it right, need to read up, and...I know they're all about working out, and Damn It I Can't Lift Weights, I'm so upset about that!), saving money, figuring out SOMETHING I can do to keep moving, and try to get certain big messes under control (the damn laundry pile SHOULD NOT be so hard haha!) so it becomes a maintenance thing.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Starkanda said:

1. Defeat Mount Laundry - nope. nope. nope. got a little put away but nothing to write home about. Sigh

 

Yeah, I'm kinda there too right now. Lots of stuff needing to be done, but just not enough freaking time.

 

18 hours ago, Starkanda said:

2. Eat like a normal human* but track food in My Fitness Pal. - This is a good strategy, but the wheels fell off the last couple weeks because my phone broke, i'm stuck with a windows phone until I get a new one :-/ So no apps. C-/D+ Yes I know paper is an option, but the MFP was actually helping me, and I feel lost without it, and instead of eating "like a normal human", I've been slipping back into unhealthy habits. Which may or may not be better than chronic dieting?? Who knows? I feel a bit pudgy right now compared to a couple weeks ago, so I'm obviously concerned

 

Well, so, it's not your fault! It's not like you meant for this to go off the rails. I'd give this a Did Not Complete at worst; it's certainly not worth a failing grade.

 

18 hours ago, Starkanda said:

3. Finish a 30 day squat challenge. A+ I completed every day!! Woo hoo!!!

 

NICE.

 

18 hours ago, Starkanda said:

4. spending more time outside and with the kids, being more artistic back to my roots....maybe #4 isn't so much of a quest as much as an attitude :-) B-, got outside more, got some nerf blasters and getting out there with the kiddo and hubby shooting cans :) Doing more gardening, haven't done so much art yet, but alas, there is only so much time.

 

Hey, not bad! It sounds like your injury didn't get in your way as much as you were afraid it would, which is always good news. Also, I'm right there with you with the art. I'm ready to take the next steps as far as my art project is concerned, but I just keep running out of time.

 

18 hours ago, Starkanda said:

I was hoping for good news with my wrist, but truth is, it's depressing. Doc has me immobilized 2 more weeks, plus 2 weeks of PT before even looking at it again. I'm pretty sure it's not healing, but who knows? The brace is getting increasingly more inconvenient in my life. can't twist, can't extend my arm, can't bear weight. it may not look like much, but it's turning my life into so many "can'ts" that it's getting depressing. And the phone situation is frustrating, as I've decided to wait until next month to get the phone I want that comes out then, rather than get whatever's out now, since it's only a couple weeks. Will I stay with the Monks next month? Who knows?

 

Well, it's up to you. FWIW, a lot of your stuff right now is tied to self-care, and that's a Druid specialty more than a Monk specialty. OTOH, I generally like to say that we're angry Druids, because we self-care to the point of impacting the self-care of others. :P

 

So, it's really a matter of where you think you'll get the most benefit. And it's completely up to you - I won't read it as a referendum on us if you decide to go somewhere else. I'm happy to see you stay with us too - the more the merrier, and it's nice to see another kickboxing judoka - but ultimately I'd be happiest to see you get the most out of your time with the Rebellion that you can.

 

Either way, maintenance challenges are totally a thing and well worth doing. Sometimes holding the line is challenge enough. We'll be happy to help you with that as best we can!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 12:01 PM, Kishi said:

 

Yeah, I'm kinda there too right now. Lots of stuff needing to be done, but just not enough freaking time.

I'm hoping I can be successful by breaking these things into small tasks and tackling one per week <fingers crossed>

 

On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 12:01 PM, Kishi said:

Well, so, it's not your fault! It's not like you meant for this to go off the rails. I'd give this a Did Not Complete at worst; it's certainly not worth a failing grade.

Thanks, you are easier on me than I am. As much as I am disappointed, I am getting more self aware, which I guess is a good thing :)

On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 12:01 PM, Kishi said:

NICE.

:-D

On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 12:01 PM, Kishi said:

Hey, not bad! It sounds like your injury didn't get in your way as much as you were afraid it would, which is always good news. Also, I'm right there with you with the art. I'm ready to take the next steps as far as my art project is concerned, but I just keep running out of time.

DO IT! I think i'm going to add something creative/artistic to this month's challenge

On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 12:01 PM, Kishi said:

Well, it's up to you. FWIW, a lot of your stuff right now is tied to self-care, and that's a Druid specialty more than a Monk specialty. OTOH, I generally like to say that we're angry Druids, because we self-care to the point of impacting the self-care of others. :P

 

So, it's really a matter of where you think you'll get the most benefit. And it's completely up to you - I won't read it as a referendum on us if you decide to go somewhere else. I'm happy to see you stay with us too - the more the merrier, and it's nice to see another kickboxing judoka - but ultimately I'd be happiest to see you get the most out of your time with the Rebellion that you can.

Thanks, I agree, monks are just butt-kicking druids, it's true :)

Since I can't kick any butt right now, I guess I'll stick to the trees :)

I'll miss you and SaraKingdom's wisdom/encouragement. I hope I'll find a good group of folks in "Druidia" too, I imagine so, I need some peace anyway

 

On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 12:01 PM, Kishi said:

Either way, maintenance challenges are totally a thing and well worth doing. Sometimes holding the line is challenge enough. We'll be happy to help you with that as best we can!

Thanks! Off to quest forth in Druidia!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now