Kwesadilo some witticism about doing the same thing over and over again

kwesadilo

I'm still trying to do the same stuff as last time, because I still have the same problems as last time.

Goals

• Squat some weight for 3 sets of 5 with perfect form. I said just the bar last time, but my bar path does seem to get better when I put some weight on. Ideally, I would be able to get in a balanced position without any weight on my back at all, but if my form starts to look good while I'm still warming up and stays that way, that seems like something I could work with.
    I was hoping that I wouldn't have to keep this as a goal. On Friday, I did back squats with more than 135 for the first time in like 2 months. In general, they looked a lot better than they had before, and when I got up to 185, they actually looked really good. I probably should have stopped there, because 205 was a little worse but still as good as I can remember. Then, today, even though it seemed like I was doing the exact same stuff, they looked a lot worse. So this is what I'm doing again.
  • Get to bed by 11:30 pm 5 nights each week. I've been doing a pretty good job with this, but I probably still need some more time to solidify the habit.
  • Do mobility work every day. My PT has now entered a phase where this really doesn't take much time. It's just a matter of remembering to do it.
  • Work on SICP for 1.5 hours over the course of at least 2 days each week. At least one of the days has to be a weekday, because leaving the whole thing until the weekend doesn't seem to work well for me.
  • Like 2

"I've got to look like I could kill someone when I take my shirt off." - Daniel Craig

Epic Quest character

Level 13 Human Warrior

STR - 63 DEX - 22 STA - 16 CON - 47 WIS - 48 CHA - 7

Week 1 update

• Squat: I got surprisingly close tonight. Some of my reps with just the bar were over my mid-foot, even. I then did 95x6 by mistake, but the last 5 looked really good. Then I did another set of 5, and they all looked good. Then I did another set of 5. Reps 1-3 looked good, but then I lost my footing slightly, and I was leaning too far forward on the reps after that. But this is encouraging. It didn't seem as hard to reproduce good form as it was last week.
    Since I've started back squatting again, it seems like I'm in the habit of going noticeably below parallel, which wasn't the case before. It might be that I'm getting used to my increased ankle mobility, in combination with spending a fair amount of time front squatting. It seems like my bar path and low back bracing get better when I focus on stopping at parallel. When I keep going, it feels like my lower back flexes a little bit, and that causes me to lean forward, and that messes up my bar path.
  • Sleep: Got to bed on time on Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday, and Sunday. Maybe Tuesday too. I can't remember.
  • Mobility: Did it every day.
  • SICP: I worked for half an hour on Saturday and an hour on Sunday, so this week gets an asterisk.
  • Like 1

"I've got to look like I could kill someone when I take my shirt off." - Daniel Craig

Epic Quest character

Level 13 Human Warrior

Week 2 update

• Squat: So close! Tonight, I did 95x5x2 with good form and another set of 5 where 4 reps were over my mid-foot, and 1 was over my toes. I also did several other sets that were less remarkable, but my worst sets still seem better than they were a few weeks ago. It seems like even at what I perceive to be a very light weight, my form is fairly susceptible to fatigue. I may try to sneak in some sets on non-lifting days to help grease the groove.
  • Sleep: Got to bed on time on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday.
  • Mobility: Did it every day. As of last Tuesday, I am done with PT, but I am still doing basically the same routine that I was doing for the time being.
  • SICP: Worked for an hour on Tuesday and 30 minutes on Sunday.
  • Like 1

Epic Quest character

Level 13 Human Warrior

Week 3 update

• Squat: Not a great week. Since before the beginning of this challenge, my squat has been inconsistent from day to day. It seems like I've been having 1 good workout (typically Monday) followed by 2 bad ones. Today was my third bad workout in a row. It feels like I'm trying the same things, and sometimes they just don't work. I didn't do any sets on non-lifting days last week, but I think I will try this week.
  • Sleep: Got to bed on time Monday through Thursday. I got very close on Saturday and Sunday, but I stayed up very late for no reason on Friday, so I felt tired after the weekend anyway.
  • Mobility: Did it every day but Saturday. I slept in due to staying up late, but not enough to be well rested. I did do a full-length yoga routine and foam-rolling on Sunday, which I haven't done in awhile. It has occurred to me that, during the last couple weeks of PT, I stopped doing a few stretches. Maybe those were important for squatting correctly, and I am just now feeling the effects. I will try to inject a little more variety this week.
  • SICP: I again didn't work on this until the weekend, but I did work for an hour and a half on Sunday. Double asterisk for this week.

Epic Quest character

Level 13 Human Warrior

Week 4 update

• Squat: This one was a nail biter. Wednesday was another day when it seemed like nothing was working. On Friday, I had 2 perfect sets of 5 at 95 lbs., starting at my 7th(!) set. The closest I got after that was 4 perfect reps in set 11. I did one more set after that, but things were going downhill, and it was super late. But during my few good sets, it seemed like the key was shoving my knees out absolutely as hard as I can, and then remembering to stop at parallel. I also spent 10 or 15 minutes stretching my calves and adductors and air squatting before getting under the bar, which I think helped me push my knees out more.
    Today, again spent a long time air squatting and stretching. Then, after warming up with the bar for 2 sets, I did 95x5x3 with perfect form. It felt like I knew what I was looking for more than during some recent workouts, and it felt easier to get into the right position on the first rep.
    There is a slight caveat: I actually did 1 set of 7 and 2 sets of 6. As I've been trying to get a good set of 5, I've been suspicious of some of my reps, but I can't tell whether they were good or not without watching the video, so I'll do more until it feels like I had 5 good ones. My set of 7 had 5 over my mid-foot and 2 that were maybe an inch in front. My sets of 6 were all over my mid-foot. However, I think I have achieved the consistency that I was looking for.
    • Done, finally! My gym sessions have been taking forever lately, and I'm hoping that will change now that I'm not trying as hard to grease the groove with squats. I haven't really had any back pain during this challenge, although I have felt a little tightness on occasion. I hope I can attribute that to doing a bunch of sets of not-that-great squats and that it will stop happening now that I've got the form down, and I'm not doing so much volume.
  • Sleep: Got to bed on time on Monday, Wednesday through Friday, and Sunday.
    • 18 out of 20 days is pretty good. I've definitely got more in the habit of putting my stuff down and getting ready for bed at 11:00 pm (he typed at 11:04).
  • Mobility: Did it every day.
    • 27/28 days. I'm still hoping to find a more efficient way to do this, but it hasn't been a huge burden (at least outside of warming up for squats).
  • SICP: Worked for 15 minutes on Friday, which was kind of a cop-out, and an hour and a half on Sunday. This week counts.
    • I did actually spend the amount of time that I said during this challenge, but I didn't do a great job of finding time for it on weeknights.

Epic Quest character

Level 13 Human Warrior