• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Athaclena

Athaclena keeps movin' movin'

I'm still here, things got crazy. Just got back from Vegas - need to formulate thoughts and "stuff" for this next challenge - but wanted everyone to know I'M STILL ALIVE LOL. 

--snip--

OK - back - I am scheduled to travel pretty much every week this challenge - like - there's ONE week I have not been asked and\or booked travel. So I'm not even going to TRY to get crazy. In fact, I'm going to do 3 things:

1) SLEEP - with crazy travel, I have to do my best to make sure I'm getting in my 8 hours. This is MUCHO IMPORTANT so I can function and NOT get sick\catch a cold

2) PROBIOTIC - Gotta take it so I'm not taking antacids like candy. It'll still happen, but still trying to minimize\only take when I eat something acidic like something with a tomato sauce

3) FOCUS ON FOOD - as much as I want to get in shape, I'm actually losing weight more by focusing on WHAT I'm eating rather than trying (and failing) to move more. I can relax this a BIT if I'm getting in tons of steps - but it's a relax only AFTER I've done so, not IN ANTICIPATION of. My Vegas trip for instance - over 10k steps per day meant I could eat more carbs - and I did LOL. But since I don't see that happening the next few weeks, gotta keep the carbs in check.

I'll try to check in at least once per week. That's all I'm going to attempt. My schedule is going to be a bit on the crazy side....

So that's it! ONWARD TO THE CHALLENGE!

Edited by Athaclena
Fill in challenge
  • Like 1

>

I'm still here, things got crazy. Just got back from Vegas - need to formulate thoughts and "stuff" for this next challenge - but wanted everyone to know I'M STILL ALIVE LOL. 
Yeah! Good to see you back!
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Athaclena said:

<<Placeholder>>

Glad to hear your okay. we know life gets crazy, and especially with all the travel you do. Take some time, get things sorted out, we will be here.

Did you at least have a good time in Vegas (I can't remember if it was a work trip or not).

6 hours ago, Bean Sidhe said:

Did you at least have a good time in Vegas (I can't remember if it was a work trip or not).

It was a work trip - but I extended it and dragged hubby along :) We mostly just hung out and people watched....

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Athaclena said:

It was a work trip - but I extended it and dragged hubby along :) We mostly just hung out and people watched....

Well in that case, aside from the work stuff, I hope you both had fun

Challenge looks good. I think you go a good handle on what you can and can't do since things are  crazy. Good luck and we will see you here as time allows.  We are here when you have time

• Like 1

Checking in. It has NOT been a good challenge week. I forgot to pack my probiotics, I didn't get enough sleep and I made bad choices for food. BUT THE WEEK'S NOT YET OVER. So here's to a mid-week reboot. I did start the day with a migraine so that's not helping. 

But was IS helping - I got the promotion YES! The raise wasn't what I'd hoped, but scuttlebut is that the new investors are being stingy - hiring has been virtually halted and the raises were small across the board. Granted, at my salary even a small % is nothing to "sneeze" at. It'll make a difference month to month. I'll stick it out another year with the new title and see what happens. Hopefully by this time next year we'll have sold all of our shizzle in Atlanta and moved to Chattanooga. And HOPEFULLY bought property and planning\building the Workshop\Apartment. At that point all bets are off and I'll be mostly looking for whoever will make my 10 year "every thing paid off and can semi-retire" plan work out. I may bite the bullet and take a "big 4" job for a couple of years to reduce the 10 years down to 4 or 5. A girl can dream!

• Like 1

Ok - as I posted in the Juice Bar thread, I'm turning my "food focus" on it's head. I just can't quit carbs. Hell, I'm unable to LIMIT them. So instead - I'm going to go almost-Vegan. Well, more pescatarian. I can have any seafood I want (keeping in mind I don't want mercury poisoning is NOT a good thing) - Eggs are on the GOOD list - Milk\Cheese is on the LIMIT list - poultry is on the "ok if there really isn't another option" list and Beef'/Pork is on the no more than one serving a week list. Yes, I have to choose if I want bacon with my pancakes or a juicy steak or burger for lunch\dinner LOL.

Everything else stays the same.

So a recap of the week - diet was an unmitigated disaster LOL. Thus the "keep trying things until I get something I can live with" decision to go the vegetarian route. We'll see if I can stick to this. Because honestly the only other thing is to sign back up for Nutrisystem or something and take the picking my own food option off the table. Sad but true.....

Sleep was ok - could have done better but wasn't like 6 hour/night average or anything.

Totally forgot my probiotic, but have taken it everyday since I've been back - so back on track there.

This morning I managed to drag my a$$ out of bed and go get my driver's license renewed. I think it was a good thing I waited until Easter weekend because I LITERALLY didn't have to wait in line. So I drove 35 min each way, but it's done. Now to go run more errands. I do admit that as much as I HATE getting up early, I sure get more stuff done when I do.....

• Like 1

Observation: Aldi's doesn't have the best selection of "alternative" proteins. So, I picked up some shrimp & salmon for 2 dinners this week and 2 different packs of "veggie" burgers which I will probably chop into something else rather than make a "sandwich" out of. Also, eggs are currently in the Instant Pot for easy, peasy hard boiled eggs (probably make an egg salad). ALSO, and this is important - mushroom powder seems to be a standard ingredient in commercial Vegetable Broth which means I'm not even going to bring it in the house. Guess I'll have to just make my own - or continue to use Chicken Broth. It's not like I'm going full on Vegan anyway so it's not really THAT much of a problem....

So, I'm  going to need to make an EXTRA stop at some point and stock up on TVP (not going to try bringing Qorn into the house - with hubby's mushroom allergy I don't want to take a chance) and non-dairy cheese. I can just throw the TVP in the freezer - same for the non-dairy cheese if I can find one that's edible :)

• Like 1

Doing well with the diet change so far. I haven't noticed any LESS energy or any real "afternoon crashes" or anything. I'll let it ride for the week and see how I feel at the end!

• Like 1

Swinging by for a quick update....

Slight modification - what I seem to be doing most is just cutting out red meat and having more meatless meals. If I can keep eating beef to maybe once a week - and that NOT be a burger - I think this will be successful. I really do crave carbs more than meat. So I'm working on making those carbs GOOD carbs more often. Again, not really getting afternoon crashes, I've had NO issues with night-time acid reflux. Still too early to tell if it's making a difference to the weight distribution - but I'm ever hopeful.

• Like 1

Can I just say I am glad to see you so active. I am sorry I poofed, but it sounds like the almost vegan thing is going well. It sounds like things are going really well and just cutting back the red meat seems to be doing something. Hopefully it keeps helping in the right directions

• Like 1

I'm ALSO making progress on the "get stuff done around the house in prep for fixing house\moving" - which I had dropped from my goals. So.... maybe cutting red meat and going meatless more often IS the right thing for me. I've also been cutting down the cheese\dairy overall. So.... go me! 

I'm back to travelling - probably for the next 3 weeks in a row - so THAT will be the real challenge. Do not default to burgers, do not default to burgers, and NO FRIES!

• Like 1

Wait - you know what I apparently forgot to post? I GOT THE PROMOTION!!!! So I'm now, officially a Solution Architect! WOOT.

OK - back to your normal day LOL.

• Like 1

Wait - you know what I apparently forgot to post? I GOT THE PROMOTION!!!! So I'm now, officially a Solution Architect! WOOT.

Yeah!!!! Congratulation!!!
Will that mean less or more travel?
I need to keep you close to learn your secrets, as this is a carreer goal for me in the future :)
Any tips?
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Athaclena said:

I'm ALSO making progress on the "get stuff done around the house in prep for fixing house\moving" - which I had dropped from my goals. So.... maybe cutting red meat and going meatless more often IS the right thing for me. I've also been cutting down the cheese\dairy overall. So.... go me! 

I'm back to travelling - probably for the next 3 weeks in a row - so THAT will be the real challenge. Do not default to burgers, do not default to burgers, and NO FRIES!

This is awesome news. You are rocking things left and right. Great job.

Good luck with traveling. Cna you maybe start trying to remember to have a salad instead of fries?

3 hours ago, Athaclena said:

That is amazing news. I am so happy for you. Hopefully this will cut down some of the travel time right?

I would go back to a normal day, but today isn't it. But I am so happy for you

On 4/6/2018 at 3:09 PM, Diadhuit said:

Will that mean less or more travel?
I need to keep you close to learn your secrets, as this is a carreer goal for me in the future :)
Any tips?

Thanks! I honestly think it's a combo of hard work, finding the right company and managers that are willing to stick up for you. This is the first (yeah, you heard me - FIRST) company where I've gotten 2 promotions. I have been hidden in a corner churning out work for SO LONG - it just finally took a while to find a company that saw value in me beyond just churning out code. This is one of those hindsight things where I realize I shouldn't have stuck so long with my previous employers looking for this right fit - 2 years should have been enough - although it took 3 (and threatening to quit) to get my first promotion at THIS gig. Although, I may not have stayed that 3rd year if my manager at the time hadn't negotiated a huge raise for me with the promise that he would work for my promotion because he felt I deserved it. 

I've been begging since almost day 1 for me to be in a position to make things better\easier for the consultants and help make EVERYONE more productive. The first promotion was step one and I was able to make SOME difference, now as a Solution Architect I'm working with a group to take this global (well, in my company anyway LOL).

As for travel, I have a feeling it'll be about the same. While it's possible for me to travel more, it'd be hard LOL. I'm hoping to travel a TAD less, but I think in actuality it'll be about the same :)

Now that my professional life is on track, time to not lose sight of my health - which includes getting out of my current city :) 

Off to run some errands, pack for next week and maybe even address some more paperwork on my desk. I think my goal by next weekend will be to have my desk completely in order and set my sights on the pile of paperwork from the in-law's house that needs to be gone through.....

• Like 1

Thanks! I honestly think it's a combo of hard work, finding the right company and managers that are willing to stick up for you. This is the first (yeah, you heard me - FIRST) company where I've gotten 2 promotions. I have been hidden in a corner churning out work for SO LONG - it just finally took a while to find a company that saw value in me beyond just churning out code. This is one of those hindsight things where I realize I shouldn't have stuck so long with my previous employers looking for this right fit - 2 years should have been enough - although it took 3 (and threatening to quit) to get my first promotion at THIS gig. Although, I may not have stayed that 3rd year if my manager at the time hadn't negotiated a huge raise for me with the promise that he would work for my promotion because he felt I deserved it. 

I've been begging since almost day 1 for me to be in a position to make things better\easier for the consultants and help make EVERYONE more productive. The first promotion was step one and I was able to make SOME difference, now as a Solution Architect I'm working with a group to take this global (well, in my company anyway LOL).

As for travel, I have a feeling it'll be about the same. While it's possible for me to travel more, it'd be hard LOL. I'm hoping to travel a TAD less, but I think in actuality it'll be about the same

Now that my professional life is on track, time to not lose sight of my health - which includes getting out of my current city  

Off to run some errands, pack for next week and maybe even address some more paperwork on my desk. I think my goal by next weekend will be to have my desk completely in order and set my sights on the pile of paperwork from the in-law's house that needs to be gone through.....

Wow, I am really happy and proud of you! And I have so much to learn. Last year I moved away from a company that gave me a promotion, partly because of that (job title was not who I was, basically I had an identity crisis).
Now I am about to do a similar thing (or maybe not) and it feels silly if I want to get proomoted, so I need to take sometimes to understand what I really want.

Did you walk the coder -> team lead -> architect path? I do struggle with step 2, not sure why...

Thanks for the kind carreer advisement, I really appreciate!
Also, I am impressed at the amount of other things you can do on top of your hard working and lots of travelling job. Well done you!!
  • Like 1

Wow, I am really happy and proud of you! And I have so much to learn. Last year I moved away from a company that gave me a promotion, partly because of that (job title was not who I was, basically I had an identity crisis).
Now I am about to do a similar thing (or maybe not) and it feels silly if I want to get proomoted, so I need to take sometimes to understand what I really want.

Did you walk the coder -> team lead -> architect path? I do struggle with step 2, not sure why...

Thanks for the kind carreer advisement, I really appreciate!
Also, I am impressed at the amount of other things you can do on top of your hard working and lots of travelling job. Well done you!!
The team lead jobs never seemed to open up for me which is why I made the jump to Consulting. Now I probably could jump back, but the $$ is frankly better over here :)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

I was able to stay on target as far as my eating plan goes MUCH more easily than previously. And I dare say my work pants might be a TAD looser. So now I just need to STAY ON TARGET LOL.

• Like 1