• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Tils

Tils refocuses

*Sidles in late with no theme, nothing to see here...*

The last week's been a bit manic with work stuff, but hopefully I can still take part in this challenge.

I don't have a geeky theme (yet!) but I do have a challenge-y connection-y thing: these four weeks are going to be about refocusing, on how I want my life to be day to day, vs how it currently is.

Productivity: no off-theme internet on my computer during work hours. I'm a grad student, so I've got a lot of freedom to waste my time... but I want to get more done during the day and not panic in the evening. So, I won't be checking social media, news websites, or nerdy fitness forums that will remain nameless, during work hours. I can still use them on my phone if I need to contact someone or check something - but that involves getting my phone out my bag, and finding the site, and then all the font is tiny, and it won't load ... I think limiting surfing to phone will do fine :)

Prepping: At least four out of five weekdays, I'm going to have my lunch prepared the night before. Giving myself some leeway in case life gets in the way, but the few times I've managed this before it's felt really good.

Practice: Exercise-wise, I don't have specific goals at the moment. I just want to enjoy the physical things I can do, and not lose any of the progress I made during the last challenge. So I'll make it to at least three kickboxing classes a week, and do at least one other thing - could be a run, weights, a long walk, a swim, anything.

Progression: (yes, these p's are getting very tenuous...) Recently I've found myself rereading the same books, listening to the same music, or playing the same games in my off time. I like doing those things, and sometimes it's just what I want to relax. But I don't want to miss out on discovering new things I like. I'm going to spend at least an hour a week (the hope is that it'll be much longer once I get into it) this challenge doing something new - reading a new book, checking out a new artist, learning a new skill.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Tils said:

The last week's been a bit manic with work stuff, but hopefully I can still take part in this challenge.

I'd say no, but I couldn't do it with a straight face. :D Come on in!

Anyway, I like that you've taken the advice from last challenge and applied it toward what you do now. It sounds like this will be a more restfully active challenge, if that makes sense. Like you're going, but you're not going to burn out, and it sounds like you're going to make some time for recuperation.

That's awesome. You're going to find, however, that people are really going to try to infringe on that time, so you're gonna have to set some boundaries and be comfy with enforcing them. It's worth it to do so, for sure.

Good luck! Have fun! Break a leg! Not your own!

• Like 1

On 22/03/2018 at 8:24 PM, Kishi said:

I'd say no, but I couldn't do it with a straight face. :D Come on in!

Yeees, in retrospect that was a bit unnecessary :D

First week going well. As the lack of updates has suggested, my internet browsing is in fact way down... hah, who am I kidding, I'm just terrible at writing updates. But I really am browsing less during work hours! Lunch prep also good so far (delicious, delicious leftovers.)

Really nice feeling like I can be more relaxed about exercise and food. My thinking is, I've got the habit more or less down - and as long as I keep going it won't really matter in a few years whether this week I went to four classes, or went to three classes and spent the fourth evening hanging out with my housemates and baking. And I'll probably remember the second one :) I also went to the weights room, where I've been building back up after a brief intermission last challenge, and deadlifted my bodyweight for the first time ever! So that was very exciting.

And I've started learning to crochet - a small snake for a friend who recently had his viva...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Tils said:

My thinking is, I've got the habit more or less down - and as long as I keep going it won't really matter in a few years whether this week I went to four classes, or went to three classes and spent the fourth evening hanging out with my housemates and baking. And I'll probably remember the second one :)

Very this. I've had this happen before where I prioritized friends over time on the mats. I don't really recall regretting any of those times.

3 hours ago, Tils said:

I also went to the weights room, where I've been building back up after a brief intermission last challenge, and deadlifted my bodyweight for the first time ever! So that was very exciting.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

* Screams into the void of being terrible at remembering to post on forums. Also, computer problems. But mostly the first thing.*

Yeah, it's been a good challenge! I've been doing a bit more exercise than the minimum I set for myself, but stuff that I'm relaxed about and enjoy doing - the real aim of this was to not beat myself up over not eating perfectly or exercising always, and that seems to be working.

Also, new Kamelot album out today, so that's my afternoon / new media sorted :D

• Like 2

What do you think about the new album?  My physical copy hasn't arrived yet and I am stubbornly not buying an additional download copy.  I do love the two songs already released.

On 07/04/2018 at 10:04 PM, Teirin said:

What do you think about the new album?  My physical copy hasn't arrived yet and I am stubbornly not buying an additional download copy.  I do love the two songs already released.

Well, you might have yours now :P I really like Phantom Divine and Amnesiac, and the rest is growing on me more and more with repeated listening - I had a very similar thing with Silverthorn where it took me a little while to get into most of them. But all in all a solid album - looking forward to hopefully seeing them on the next tour.

This has been a good challenge, if one where I've been almost completely absent. I guess not browsing on my lab computer did help my productivity, at least, heh. And I've felt good about having tasty leftovers for lunch, especially now the weather's getting warmer and I don't just want lots of hot food straight away.

One thing that's really struck me: at some point I've definitely picked up a habit of being hard on myself, regards how much exercise I should be doing, probably just from the world we live in. Consciously deciding to give myself days or weeks off is important, but I still find it really difficult and guilt-inducing, even when I know it's important. Something to work on going forward.

I do have it now.  Those two were also instant favourites, and the other leads so far are the Proud and the Broken, Stories Unheard, and Burns to Embrace.  I'm quite happy with it.  Seeing them in a week. Tommy's other band also released a single. Have you checked them out?

Congrats on a good challenge!  Less internet browsing, more productivity, and good leftovers for lunch are all solid wins.

My Mom likes to say "Be gentle with yourself".  It's good advice.  If you wouldn't tolerate someone talking to your friends that way, you shouldn't tolerate talking to yourself that way either :-)

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 10:02 AM, Tils said:

This has been a good challenge, if one where I've been almost completely absent. I guess not browsing on my lab computer did help my productivity, at least, heh. And I've felt good about having tasty leftovers for lunch, especially now the weather's getting warmer and I don't just want lots of hot food straight away.

Hey, challenges are a doing thing. You can't just sit around the Monastery talking about it - sooner or later, you gotta get to work. That being said...

On ‎4‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 10:02 AM, Tils said:

One thing that's really struck me: at some point I've definitely picked up a habit of being hard on myself, regards how much exercise I should be doing, probably just from the world we live in. Consciously deciding to give myself days or weeks off is important, but I still find it really difficult and guilt-inducing, even when I know it's important. Something to work on going forward.

Yeah, and that's something that the martial arts are particularly prickly about. There's a real tendency toward cult-like behavior - gotta work hard and go all the time and train yourself into the dirt because nothing else matters. It's not a good mindset. Frankly, I wish the martial culture would emphasize rest as a function of training since that's when you build adaptations, but what can you do?

It is something to work on going forward, but I think you're going to find that as you keep going in this journey that you're going to have to keep working on it. But do keep working on it. It's the other side of the coin, and you and all of us need it.

Good job this challenge!

• Like 1