• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

DoubleTrouble

DoubleTrouble slips, falls, and finds himself with the monks

Hi. Assassin on hiatus here. I was going for a running jump during a parkour session when my foot slipped on the takeoff and I fell with my arm outstretched, which dislocated my shoulder. I don't think its a good idea to do parkour anytime soon, so I thought I would hang out here for a while. Hope you guys don't mind.

My martial arts experience is pretty limited and includes attending trial classes for everything (and then not going once the trial expires). I did gumdo and judo for a few months a couple of years ago. More recently, I've been sparring with friends for fun (hands only).

For this challenge, I want to do leg stuff, so taekwondo seems like a good choice. The daily physiotherapy that I now do involves using a wooden dowel, so I'm throwing in some freestyle staff for my uninjured arm (I blame @Happienumber for getting me into this staff spinning business).

Quest 1: Physio for days

The physiotherapy range-of-motion (ROM) exercises are done 3X a day (2X a day for isometric strengthening stuff). I haven't missed any sessions yet, so that's good. I'm supposed to do 20 reps with a 5 sec hold on each, but lately I've been cheating a bit on this. The goal is to do all the reps, holding for 5 secs, everyday.

Quest 2: Taekwonwoohoo

I used to watch Taekwonwoo's videos years ago and now it's time for a refresher. The goal is to watch some of his tutorials and do 130 kicks on alternate days (weekends optional). Why 130? Because I'll do 5 reps after each one of my 13 physio exercises, twice. This number may change in the future.

Quest 3: Freestyle staff

The goal is to watch some tutorials from Michelle Christa Smith's channel and do 130 reps on alternate days (weekends optional).

Quest 4: Conditioning

Not sure what this will include, probably leg exercises and stretching.

Challenge starts tomorrow (March 23).

• Like 6

Yay.  Welcome to the monks!

But come on, cheating on the holds on your physio.  You know better than that.

I like the idea of working on kicks while you rehab your shoulder.  Sounds like fun.

• Like 1

Hey, be welcome! Sorry that you slipped and fell, and I hope you get to feeling better soon.

In the meantime, I'm glad to see that you found some stuff that you could do and that it wound up being with us. Also, Tae Kwon Do is pretty notorious for being full of trick kicks and flying moves. So who knows? Maybe you'll find your way to blend some of what we do into what you do already, and go back to Parkour with some new tricks. :)

Let us know if there's anything we can do to help!

• Like 1

On 3/22/2018 at 3:41 PM, Lou_be_Lou said:

Welcome to the monks!

Thanks!

On 3/22/2018 at 3:41 PM, Lou_be_Lou said:

But come on, cheating on the holds on your physio.  You know better than that.

Every time I think about cheating a rep, your profile picture pops up in my mind and says "You know better than that". In a scottish accent.

On 3/22/2018 at 4:06 PM, Luciana Valerosa Culming said:

I should get my stuff out again, when it's getting warmer.

You do fire spinning? SO COOL. I mean hot. Cause it's on fire. I'm just starting out with staff spinning, so figure 8s and handrolls for me.

On 3/22/2018 at 4:19 PM, Kishi said:

Hey, be welcome!

Thank you, your monk-iness.

On 3/22/2018 at 4:19 PM, Kishi said:

Maybe you'll find your way to blend some of what we do into what you do already, and go back to Parkour with some new tricks.

That would be awesome.

-----------------------------

Watched TaekWonWoo's front kick tutorial yesterday.

Spoiler

Did 2 sessions of physio/kicks today. Didn't cheat on any reps. One more physio-only session to go, but I'm sure it'll be fine so I'll go ahead and record it now.

My front kicks are at knee height, so I need some kind of stretching thing. I'm liking how the kicks are making physio more interesting, so maybe I'll do the same kind of thing for conditioning/stretching.

Physio             FSS MTWTFSS MTWTFSS MTWTFSS

Tae Kwon Do F(SS) MTWTF(SS) MTWTF(SS) MTWTF(SS)

Staff                F(SS) MTWTF(SS) MTWTF(SS) MTWTF(SS)

• Like 3

For this challenge, I want to do leg stuff, so taekwondo seems like a good choice. The daily physiotherapy that I now do involves using a wooden dowel, so I'm throwing in some freestyle staff for my uninjured arm (I blame [mention=4170]Happienumber[/mention] for getting me into this staff spinning business).

Bahahaha omg YASSSS staff spinning!! All of this sounds awesome! Finally found and following!

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

• Like 1

hey, welcome to the monks!! Hope you get better really soon. 

Good luck with doing all your exercises.  Glad to see you're taking your PT seriously and are doing lots of great things to get yourself back into parkouring shape.  Good luck with your challenge!!

Also I am 10000% here for dowel spinning.  Yes.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Treva said:

hey, welcome to the monks!! Hope you get better really soon.

Crivens! Thank ye, bigjob Treva.

3 hours ago, Treva said:

Also I am 10000% here for dowel spinning.  Yes.

There will be plenty o spinnin' an fightin'.

----------------------

I wootched th figure 8 video an tried soom on Seturday. Th healin' is gooin well too.

Spoiler

Ach,  spinnin' is foon.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Teirin said:

Welcome in!  *Waves*

Thank ye! *Waves back*

22 hours ago, Teirin said:

Another Feegle fan, I see.

I'm jest larnin' the accent. I dunnae ken much aboot Feegles. Except that they like drinkin'. An lyin'. An stealin'. An cheatin'. An fightin'.

------------

Crivens, I dinnae do fightin' or spinnin' because I dinnae have time.

• Like 2

Th physio routine hath changeth. I hath been doin it everday though, just not all the reps. I will maketh an effort tomorrow to do the new routine and conditioning. What accent is this? I dinnae ken. I dinnae ken about spinnin' too.

• Like 2

I cannae find th reps before yesterday. Whaer are they hidin?

Aye, I did some kicks and spinnin', but nae enough.

@Happienumber have you tried the thing where you pick up the staff from the floor using your foot? Like in this video:

Spoiler

• Like 2

On 4/7/2018 at 12:20 PM, DoubleTrouble said:

@Happienumber have you tried the thing where you pick up the staff from the floor using your foot? Like in this video:

That is so cool! I've never tried the advanced version of this, but I did the "simple" version by accident one day. I just dropped my staff and it was bouncing away and idk if it was just soccer instincts or what but I just reflexivly grabbed it with my foot and threw it back to my hand, then i was like "YOOOOOOO I wish someone had seen that! That was so ninja!"

I have to practice it more though so it could look more smooth. And I want to try that step over version too! I feel like that could work well into a routine, like to drop it on purpose and add that spin in there.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Happienumber said:

then i was like "YOOOOOOO I wish someone had seen that! That was so ninja!"

Hahaha

2 hours ago, Happienumber said:

I feel like that could work well into a routine, like to drop it on purpose

Yeah I thought about that too! Another idea is to drop the staff using the same method as in picking it up, but in reverse.

1 hour ago, Happienumber said:

How is the challenge going?

Pretty bad actually. I couldn't do all the reps for physio on Saturday because I was sore from doing all the reps on Friday. I did some spinning, though, but not enough reps for it to count.

Is it just me or are handrolls much harder going one way than the other?

Staff                F(SS) MTWTF(SS) MTWTF(SS) MTWTF(SS

22 minutes ago, DoubleTrouble said:

Pretty bad actually. I couldn't do all the reps for physio on Saturday because I was sore from doing all the reps on Friday. I did some spinning, though, but not enough reps for it to count.

Aw thats too bad. But you know what? that's the point of the challenges, learning what is working and what isn't so that we can refine. If you're sore, than that's your body letting you know you had enough for now! I think if you're getting to a point where you're getting that sore, you're doing pretty darn good ;) 

You can always adjust the number of reps you want to hit if you find it's not an attainable amount. I've had to adjust goals lots of times in mid-challenge. (twice in this challenge!!)

Is it just me or are handrolls much harder going one way than the other?

Uh yeah...

let me see *does a few handrolls* for me its forward handrolls. Backwards is easier.

26 minutes ago, Happienumber said:

You can always adjust the number of reps you want to hit if you find it's not an attainable amount.

Is this ok? I feel like this is cheating somehow. Like its a test or something and I changed the questions to make them easier instead of writing the correct answer.

26 minutes ago, Happienumber said:

for me its forward handrolls. Backwards is easier.

Same. But you made both look easy in your video!

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, DoubleTrouble said:

Is this ok? I feel like this is cheating somehow. Like its a test or something and I changed the questions to make them easier instead of writing the correct answer.

Dude this is TOTALLY ok!! Especially if you have logical reasons for changing them. If you're halfway through your challenge and you look back and go "This is not working because of x and y", then change x and y. If you look at it and go "i just didn't feel like it" then that's a motivation problem ("cheating" I guess) but if you're like "I was SO SORE I couldn't even physically do it" than that is a 100% legitimate reason. Or "hey, now that i'm 2 weeks in, i realize 130 isn't a reasonable number as I'm just never hitting that due to (exhaustion/too many goals/overtraining/time constraints), I will aim for 50 instead" is a totally reasonable adjustment. 

As an example, this challenge I had an original goal of meditating twice a day, but the evening meditation was 100% because of insomnia issues. I've found that I've been missing it at night because I've been falling to sleep too fast and forgetting so I adjusted to only aiming for once a day, with a night-time one only if I can't sleep. Because there wasn't really a point in beating myself up about missing it if the original problem is solved. 

The whole point of these challenges is becoming the healthiest, best person you can be, and that starts with knowing yourself and what you need to do for training. It's a constant process of refining and tweaking and finding your particular best practices. 

I've taken to re-evaluating at the end of each week, mostly on a comment from @RogueLibrarian 

What worked this week and what didn't?

For the things that didn't work, why?

Was it just because I wasn't trying? If so, kick myself in the pants to get moving this week.

Was it because of something in particular?

If so what was it?

Is the goal too difficult for me at this stage?(adjust the goal)

Or is there something I need to change to make this goal happen? (keep the same goal, change schedule, equipment, ect)

Same. But you made both look easy in your video!

I thought they looked terrible LOL but thank you haha. How heavy is your staff? You said you got a dowel, was it the 4ft long 1 inch one? I ask because I find that to be SO much easier to handroll than my lighter, shorter staff. The weight of it just makes it sort of "stick" to the back of your hand better. But yeah, forwards is still harder. (I have many, MANY bloopers of me loosing it in the handroll and having it fly off screen. MANY MANY.)

ezgif-2-9d2311d1df.gif.e3b904c20dffe3a087234d581c4978ef.gif

• Like 3

Is this the video you've been working from for handrolls? It was the most helpful for me, specifically the part of "rewinding" your hand. Previously I was just trying to roll the stick around my hand, but the added bit of rolling my hand too made ALL of the difference.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, DoubleTrouble said:

Part of the test is figuring out if the questions themselves are the right questions. :)

• Like 2

On 4/8/2018 at 6:59 PM, Happienumber said:

Dude this is TOTALLY ok!! Especially if you have logical reasons for changing them. If you're halfway through your challenge and you look back and go "This is not working because of x and y", then change x and y.

Thanks for this! I guess I was thinking that I had to try harder / figure out a way to achieve the goal even if the goal was unreasonable. I had a mental block to even attempt the 130 reps, it was such a daunting number. Maybe there's no real harm in missing a few reps in physio if it means I don't miss any sessions and I do what I can for every session.

I've taken to re-evaluating at the end of each week

I'll give this a shot for the next challenge.

You said you got a dowel, was it the 4ft long 1 inch one?

Yeah, its a broomstick handle, so no weights on the ends.

13 hours ago, Happienumber said:

Previously I was just trying to roll the stick around my hand, but the added bit of rolling my hand too made ALL of the difference.

I already knew about rolling my hand, but re-watching the video I saw that I wasn't turning my wrist inwards enough before letting go. Got 3 decent handrolls!

On a side note, she unfurls her fingers in a wave instead of all at once and her hand moves upwards a bit as the staff rolls over (had to watch the video frame by frame to see this stuff).

12 hours ago, Kishi said:

Part of the test is figuring out if the questions themselves are the right questions. :)

I didn't consider that. Thanks!

---------------------------

New and improved goals! Version 2.0

Quest 1: Physio for days

Do sessions 3X a day. Morning, afternoon, evening. Don't have to do every rep, but rate each session good/meh/poor. The goal is 15 good sessions out of a possible 18.

Quest 2: Taekwonwoohoo

10 kicks everyday. Each leg, so 20 total. Goal is 6/6 days!

Quest 3: Freestyle staff

20 figure 8s/handrolls/any combination of the two everyday. Goal is 6/6 days!

Quest 4: Conditioning and stretching

I'm figuring this out bit by bit, and I don't have a quest/goal for it yet. So far I have:

WARMUP

Lunge matrix

CONDITIONING

Bodyweight calf raises/heel drops

Bodyweight shin raises

Bodyweight squats

Bodyweight single leg glute bridges

Nordic hamstring progression

STRETCHING

Kneeling quad stretch

Resistance band hamstring stretch

• Like 2

7 hours ago, DoubleTrouble said:

Yeah, its a broomstick handle, so no weights on the ends.

Hmmm....I am just picturing a broomstick handle and I think it's narrower than my staff is...

I just measured my heavy staff and it's an inch and a quarter lol. Maybe that makes a difference LOL (how did this happen? I thought I bought an inch wide one?) 

In any case, it's about what works for you personally. Some people like even shorter and lighter ones, other people use bo staffs that are taller than your own height (I can't even imagine! MAybe someday)

• Like 1

I just measured my heavy staff and it's an inch and a quarter lol

Mine is 0.9 inches, not heavy but not too light.

other people use bo staffs that are taller than your own height

O.o

3 good physio sessions yesterday! Kicks and spinning done too. Feels much less stressful to have goals that I can actually accomplish.

• Like 3