In an attempt to learn from last year, where I "failed" (aka dropped out of) challenge after challenge, and proceeded to put ON weight over the summer, I am changing my approach! While it's not summer yet, the busyness is already starting for me, and I find trying to build 4 week challenges that work around all the stuff I have going on is a recipe for failure. 

Instead, I will be making some longer term goals, trying to check in here fairly regularly, and work more on my over-arching plan!

I'm going to go with a 12-week goal format for now. I'll be formally tracking these from April 9th until July 1st, but I'm working on them all now anyways.

Goal #1: Stay Keto. 

This way of eating is REALLY working for me, but I know my biggest struggle will be keeping it up while we're disc golfing/camping most weekends over the summer. I'm going to allow some flexibility while I'm in Mexico (we leave in 9 days!), but after that, it's aiming for <20g of carbs per day, with one higher carb (<30g) day allowed per week. I do have targets for other macros, but in a effort to keep things simple, I'm just going to report my averages each week, reflect on it, and decide what, if any, changes need to be made. 

Goal#2: Kettlebells

I'm hoping to average 2x classes per week. I'm mostly making 3 right now, but it's unsustainable over the summer. With disc golf league night once a week, and the fact that we're going to be gone about 1/2 of the Fridays, I'm down to 1 free evening per week, on a good week. Trying not to make myself crazy. 

Goal #3: Practice disc golf!

My competitive spirit really wants to get better at this... but I can't expect that to happen without putting in the work! Goal is to attend league night (1x week), do field work at least 1x week, and get in 3 additional practice rounds in on non-tournament weeks, 2 on tournament weeks (including the usual Friday night practice on the tourney course)

Goal #4: Nourish my marriage

I don't want to lose sight of the most important person in my life in the midst of all this self-improvement! I'm going to pick on thing to focus on each week, work on it, and reflect. I have some ideas in the back of my mind, but open to suggestion!

Goal #5: Grow our business. 

With the focus being on the disc golf apparel side of things. This is kind of a monster goal. It involves some one-time things that need to happen, some habits we need to get in to, and some long term goals to achieve... I'm going to make a spreadsheet, and I'll post that when I'm done. 

I think between all of this, I've got a pretty holistic grasp on the important aspects of my life. The only thing not addressed at this point is the bike commuting that I intend to take up starting in May... I'm going to see how that goes, and maybe add it as a goal later on. 

I'm also okay with the fact that these are going to ebb and flow as my schedule shifts and changes and fills... and I'm okay with that! The important part is ensuring that I keep my priorities at the forefront, and don't fall back into bad habits. I'm not grading myself, per se, on any of this, but I want to make sure I'm thinking about it, reporting/recording it, and using that data to make decisions about how I spend my time and energy. 

• Like 6

Race: Wood Elf

Level 20

Class: Ranger

Strength: 45 | Dexterity: 15 | Stamina: 44 | Constitution: 29 | Wisdom: 35 | Charisma: 28

BATTLE LOG   EPIC QUEST  CHALLENGE

Post-challenge update so far:

Keto - I've most stayed within my carb goals, but I've had some REALLY high cal days due to evening binge sessions. Not cool. I did a 40 hr fast Mon evening to Weds afternoon as kind of a reset - it felt good, and I'm hopefully that I've kicked myself out of that cycle. 

KBs - I missed last Monday (tendonitis flare up in my elbow), but went Weds/Fri, and so far have gone Mon/Weds this week. And plan to go tomorrow. I'm continuing to challenge myself with the bell weight, and feeling generally awesome about getting stronger!

Disc golf - the snow is still too deep for playing, but I've been getting excited! I am helping one of the other women put on a one-day women's event in May, so we had a meeting for that on the weekend! We have a putting league night going on tonight, so that should be fun too!

Marriage - Brainstorming ideas. I've been meaning for us to have a disc dyeing session for a while, but it's been busy! 

Business - we're working on getting our website back up and running. There've been some technical issues... but we've done what we can for now. 

• Like 3

Level 20

Strength: 45 | Dexterity: 15 | Stamina: 44 | Constitution: 29 | Wisdom: 35 | Charisma: 28

Nice long term goals. Do you know what led to your evening binge sessions? Could it be that you are trying to go too low calorie, and by the end of the day your will power is gone? Hoping you get some real spring weather soon and you can play disc golf.

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

18 minutes ago, Elastigirl said:

Nice long term goals. Do you know what led to your evening binge sessions? Could it be that you are trying to go too low calorie, and by the end of the day your will power is gone? Hoping you get some real spring weather soon and you can play disc golf.

I really don't think that's the case - it happens on days that I eat anywhere from 1-3 meals, and even after being high cal for a couple days in a row. I'm definitely not hungry when I'm doing this, I just can't stop eating even though I want to :/ 

One weird thing I noticed though is that it was often happening after I had a mango-flavoured club soda. It seems very strange that that would set me off, and I'd be sad to give them up... but it's the only correlation I've come up with so far!

• Like 2

Level 20

12 hours ago, Fonzico said:

mango-flavoured club soda

Does the mango flavouring maybe contain extra sugar? Sugar begets more sugar/carbs, or other foods that might be subconsciously linked as satisfying.

13 hours ago, Fonzico said:

tendonitis flare up in my elbow

How's your elbow doing? I see you've gone on to do more training so I guess it is manageable, but ...?

13 hours ago, Fonzico said:

Marriage - Brainstorming ideas.

LOL, I have this as an unofficial goal for the challenge. Work on my marriage, focusing attention on hubby :D We've previously tried things like date night, or date lunch, but it just doesn't work for us. We love exercising together most mornings, so that is working. The disc dyeing sounds interesting.

• Like 1

Mrs. Van's Latest Challenge

Zechariah 4:6

"Not by might, nor by power, but by My spirit, saith the Lord."

Does the mango flavouring maybe contain extra sugar? Sugar begets more sugar/carbs, or other foods that might be subconsciously linked as satisfying.

Nope, there's no sugar, no calories, not even artificial sugar. That's why I think it's strange...

So we had our disc golf putting league last night. It was fun, although I was the only woman... And I came in dead last. Haha.

So... Our club for the past two years has had kind of an absentee president and secretary... Who failed to submit some necessary paperwork and allowed our status as a non-profit to lapse :/

This means that we need to get everything restarted so that we're able to do everything we want to be able to (a huge reason being that our club won a prize of plane tickets to be raffled off, which could help us build a proper 18 hole course here, but we can't get a lottery license without club status!).

Anyways. We filled out the initial paperwork to get this going last night... And I was kind of asked on the spot to be the secretary. At first I was kind of like "um... yeah, I guess?!" but now that I've slept on it, I'm actually kind of excited. I think we can really improve on how things have been done in past, and being on the executive for the club will surely help with my disc golf goals since I'll be so immersed in it.
  • Like 4

Level 20

Yay! I think you’d be fab on the board!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Level 87 Wood Elf Druid

Druid: || 59 | 60 | 61 | 61.5 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 8485 | 86 | 87  ||

Ranger: || 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 ||

||Char/RPG||
STR: 57 || DEX: 59 || STA: 52 || CON: 47 || WIS: 59 || CHA: 59

You guys! I have officially surpassed the lowest recorded weight listed in my 7! year MFP history!

Goku crap balls. That was an autocorrect, but I'm leaving it. And also adopting it as my new curse word - hubs will appreciate 🤣

Ahhh! So happy!

Eating has been pretty on point this week, except Monday. Other than that, carbs have come in well under 20g. Calories could be a smidgen lower overall, but I'm still losing and it's sustainable so I'm not going to worry too much.

I skipped kettlebells on Friday - I needed a rest. My muscles were not DOMS sore, but like "hey, we're actually trying to rebuild from you tearing us apart this week, hello lady!" sore.
I also was in a not great place mentally on Thursday (many seperate factors that would have been manageable on their own just kind of combined to send me into a tailspin) and an evening of cuddles, tv and wine was what I needed more than a workout. And that's saying something, because I almost always feel like I need a workout!

Yesterday, I finally finished inventory for our business and filed our GST. Yay! It was exhausting but I'm so glad it's done. That means I can do our taxes now.

Today hubs and I are going shopping for some last minute things for our trip, and then to his parents for smoked ribs! Yum.

This week is going to be crazy busy - I've got waxings and a pedicure and nail polishing booked. I need to start packing. And dye my hair. And go to kettlebells. And I'm sure I'm forgetting something!

We leave very early Saturday morning, and then it's a blissful week on the beach in Playa del Carmen!

• Like 2

Level 20

Ribfest yesterday was delicious! But I ate way too much :(

I also did the hair dye thing. Nothing fancy, just covering up my very grey roots. 

The shopping trip was also successful! Hubs got a whole bunch of shorts/swim trunks, which he badly needed, and I got some SUPER cute high waisted shorts that make me feel pretty darn good about myself and that hubs said makes me look "teeny tiny!" I will take it! 

Kettlebells are happening tonight! Whoopa!

• Like 5

Level 20

On 3/23/2018 at 4:24 PM, Fonzico said:

Nope, there's no sugar, no calories, not even artificial sugar. That's why I think it's strange...

Then a habit or mental link that you have formed at some stage? Glad you at least have an idea of what is triggering your "snack tooth".

On 3/23/2018 at 4:24 PM, Fonzico said:

This means that we need to get everything restarted so that we're able to do everything we want to be able to (a huge reason being that our club won a prize of plane tickets to be raffled off, which could help us build a proper 18 hole course here, but we can't get a lottery license without club status!).

Good luck with all the admin. I think you'd be great in the secretary position. All it takes (except time) is enthusiasm and a little work, and you've got lots of that!

On 3/25/2018 at 4:08 PM, Fonzico said:

You guys! I have officially surpassed the lowest recorded weight listed in my 7! year MFP history!

Oh Woot! Woot! So happy for you!

49 minutes ago, Fonzico said:

I also did the hair dye thing. Nothing fancy, just covering up my very grey roots. 

The shopping trip was also successful! Hubs got a whole bunch of shorts/swim trunks, which he badly needed, and I got some SUPER cute high waisted shorts that make me feel pretty darn good about myself and that hubs said makes me look "teeny tiny!" I will take it! 

Now come on! You know the rules! Photos!

• Like 1

So. Freaking. Cute!

• Like 1

Level 87 Wood Elf Druid

Druid: || 59 | 60 | 61 | 61.5 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 8485 | 86 | 87  ||

Ranger: || 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 ||

||Char/RPG||

On 3/27/2018 at 12:17 AM, Fonzico said:

THANK YOU! I kind of didn't want to take them off :P I'm enjoying the recent improvement to my self-esteem...

Nope, no vanity, just honest appreciation that you have for yourself/your body, for the hard work you've put in. They really look good on you. Woot! Woot!

• Like 1

I'm back! Mexico was awesome, we had so much fun!

I absolutely did not stick to my goals while there though. I mean I tried to mostly eat meat and veggies... Except when I didn't. All the alcohol probably didn't help either.
Anyway, back to it!

I grocery shopped and meal planned yesterday... And then proceeded to eat ALL the things. Keto things, but still. All of them. [emoji849]

But I'm less bloated today than yesterday, so that's progress.

I'm going to go to kettlebells tonight... And I will die, because it's been over 2 weeks.

Bonus: pictures!
840c156b622bee820a7d3b2ec5c3aec3.jpgc0cd9dd5c979e400641090ab6b610282.jpg3a5b02b8f4d512f841b15d7c5acd31ae.jpg0bc99b9f5c45e90a4002036b46a511e9.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Level 20

So pretty! Looks like you had a blast!

• Like 1

Level 87 Wood Elf Druid

||Char/RPG||

Okay so I totally lied about going to kettlebells on Monday... I couldn't believe how tired I was. Possibly from readapting to keto? Or just to real life in general.

I'm struggling with food too - while I've managed to avoid high carb foods, I've still been over eating and my overall carbs are too high. Damn you, peanut butter! I'm so freaking terrified of backsliding at this point though - time to recommit!!

Diligent tracking.
Reintroducing IF once I'm back in the swing of things.
Going to freaking kettlebell class! (This starts tonight - I saw my sister last night and we promised each other)
And carbs under 20g net per day, for crying out loud!

It's a thing.

So this weekend my hubs in playing a mini disc golf tournament about 45 mins away from here. It's still gross and snowy and stuff here (worst spring ever!) So I'm not inclined to go with him. I'm going to get started on a plan for our business though, and start checking things off that list!

And as long as the sidewalks stay clear, I'm committing right now that I'm going for a bike ride! I can't believe my bike commuting is supposed to start in 3 weeks... I'm so not ready. But again, I blame the snow. I'm SO not a winter sport person! I just want summer and all my summer activities!

• Like 3

Level 20