• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

DJDragonflame

Is Paleo organic???

Yes, a lot of Paleo sites stress organic. But, you don't have  to follow Paleo on an all or nothing. You can just do regular non organic veggies. I think just by focusing on eating more veggies you will be healthier, even if they aren't organic

6 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Yes, a lot of Paleo sites stress organic. But, you don't have  to follow Paleo on an all or nothing. You can just do regular non organic veggies. I think just by focusing on eating more veggies you will be healthier, even if they aren't organic

What about the rest of the list of things?

50 minutes ago, DJDragonflame said:

What about the rest of the list of things?

Hmm, well why do you want to go Paleo? Have you looked into it?  I've followed a strict Paleo diet, and felt really healthy, but found it hard to adhere to. Now I am sort of, meaning I eat grains only occasionally and limit my sugar, and focus on healthy fats, meat, and veggies. I think you need to find what works for you. There are also people on this board who aren't Paleo at all, and they've lost weight and are healthy. 

13 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Hmm, well why do you want to go Paleo? Have you looked into it?  I've followed a strict Paleo diet, and felt really healthy, but found it hard to adhere to. Now I am sort of, meaning I eat grains only occasionally and limit my sugar, and focus on healthy fats, meat, and veggies. I think you need to find what works for you. There are also people on this board who aren't Paleo at all, and they've lost weight and are healthy. 

Why? My explanation from the first time I came here:

"Over the last few weeks I was looking for something that I can do about myself. I came across Nerd Fitness and looked at the Real-Life Role Playing (and others) first. I look at myself now as a...well, look at the above. I would like to be a mixture of a Ranger, Druid, and Assassin class (maybe a Beast Hunter-ish type class?).

My reasons: 

1. Ranger: I would like to follow the Paleo Diet. I am sick and tired of stuff inside the food that I don't want into my body. I also would like to get a low-body fat percentage, say... one-third; meaning 12%. Yeah, I have THAT much body fat currently. It may cost more to be healthy, however hopefully worth the healthiness.
  2. Druid: This is a big thing for me. I want to have balance with myself. This quote showed me from the Real-Life Role Playing article under Druid: 

...they specialize in being one with themselves, finding balance in everything.

Yeah, I would like to learn how to calm myself down with the problems I have.
  3. Assassin: This is something I would like to challenge myself to have for free time: Parkour. It's a challenge I would be willing to try. However, that comes later when I am fully capable. This requires the low-body fat percentage."

Second, I have looked into the Paleo with the Nerd Fitness Beginner's Guide of Paleo and other sites. However, it doesn't give you ALL the details and ALL the foods which you should or shouldn't eat. You have to look online for specific foods like "(insert food here) Paleo friendly". Also, some of the ingredients from a Paleo cookbook I bought says I need (inset ingredient) in order to make this meal or dessert. My thought was  "What? Why those?! That's not in the Paleo Diet. I don't understand why that's in there."

My mom and I don't understand this Paleo thing. It's been less than a month and we confused our brains still.

Ok, I see what you are saying. The problem is that some people have different opinions on what is Paleo and what is not. My advice is to pay attention to what your body feels like. Does eating rice make you feel satisfied or does it cause you to get hungry? Don't worry if you don't follow it exactly, the steps you are taking to get healthier are good steps. 

The key componenents of Paleo

No grains

No refined sugar

NO vegetable or canola oils

Yes to lots of green veggies

Eat starchy veggies sparingly (some Paleo say yes to potatoes, some say no- this is one where you just need to see how it makes you feel)

eat some protein at every meal(Paleo advocates for grass fed meat, but if that doesn't fit your budget don't sweat it)

• Thanks 1

Reputedly, pesticides and drugs fed to animals are concentrated in fatty tissues, so some paleo nerds recommend organic animal fats.  (eg butter, lard).  You might also google "dirty dozen" for a list of the most heavily sprayed fruits and veggies, and buy those in organic form or skip them.

The more you can forage or grow yourself, the better.  Wild food is usually better than farmed.  But on the paleo diet, what you eat is more important than how it's made.  If you avoid grains, legumes and processed plant oils*, avoid sugars**, and eat plenty of veggies and whole animal foods, you are doing it right.  Organic/wild is secondary.

* Processed = from a seed that is a grain or is not properly food.  Cottonseed, rapeseed, safflower, corn oils are bad.  Olive oil, coconut oil, cacao butter, sustainable palm oils are fine.

** some paleo nerds claim cane/beet sugar and fructose corn syrup are bad but other sugars like honey, maple syrup, dates are okay.  Truth is, it's all just sugar carbs, they are all bad in large amounts so use them very scarcely.  Some people find the taste of sugar addictive, and for them total avoidance works best.

On 4/3/2018 at 5:27 PM, Raincloak said:

Reputedly, pesticides and drugs fed to animals are concentrated in fatty tissues, so some paleo nerds recommend organic animal fats.  (eg butter, lard).  You might also google "dirty dozen" for a list of the most heavily sprayed fruits and veggies, and buy those in organic form or skip them.

The more you can forage or grow yourself, the better.  Wild food is usually better than farmed.  But on the paleo diet, what you eat is more important than how it's made.  If you avoid grains, legumes and processed plant oils*, avoid sugars**, and eat plenty of veggies and whole animal foods, you are doing it right.  Organic/wild is secondary.

* Processed = from a seed that is a grain or is not properly food.  Cottonseed, rapeseed, safflower, corn oils are bad.  Olive oil, coconut oil, cacao butter, sustainable palm oils are fine.

** some paleo nerds claim cane/beet sugar and fructose corn syrup are bad but other sugars like honey, maple syrup, dates are okay.  Truth is, it's all just sugar carbs, they are all bad in large amounts so use them very scarcely.  Some people find the taste of sugar addictive, and for them total avoidance works best.

So, since vegetarian fed is out of the question, how can you find grass-fed chicken? I heard that it is rare to find.

I can't really find coconut milk and coconut water that is organic. 

I was also looking at the Dirty Dozen site and bananas was #30 on the list. Does that mean I can eat that non-organic?

You can eat anything you want non organic.  No one's gonna tell you that if you don't eat [insert food here] organic then you're a failure.  The overarching requirement for any type of eating is for it to be sustainable for your needs.  Can't afford to buy organic veggies?  Buy frozen ones.  Can't get grass fed meat reasonably in your area?  Regular store bought meat will still cover your bases.  Paleo isn't a diet in the traditional sense, it's a lifestyle change.  If the changes can't fit into your lifestyle then you're not going to stick to it.  A bag of frozen peas may not be organic, but they're still a whole lot healthier than the frozen pizza.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

colloquially, we associate paleo with a certain type of diet and certain types of foods. 

-- the less popular, more verbose way of saying "paleo" is saying "nutrient-dense primal foods"

the paleo diet, and any diet for that matter, is better for one's body if the foods consumed are organic

-- as for organic food, people have different opinions on it, but common sense would say they are better than conventional foods

On 3/24/2018 at 2:05 PM, DJDragonflame said:

Second, I have looked into the Paleo with the Nerd Fitness Beginner's Guide of Paleo and other sites. However, it doesn't give you ALL the details and ALL the foods which you should or shouldn't eat. You have to look online for specific foods like "(insert food here) Paleo friendly". Also, some of the ingredients from a Paleo cookbook I bought says I need (inset ingredient) in order to make this meal or dessert. My thought was  "What? Why those?! That's not in the Paleo Diet. I don't understand why that's in there."

My mom and I don't understand this Paleo thing. It's been less than a month and we confused our brains still.

This is because there is no exact definition. It's something that a bunch of different people made up, and they all made their own definitions. There are hundreds of thousands of foods in the world, it would be impossible to list every food and every person's definition of if it's paleo or not. 

Don't over think it. 

The general agreement is sticking to meats, veggies, fruits, nuts, and seeds.

Yes, typically "organic", pasture raised animals produce healthier animals, which produces healthier meats and eggs. I put organic in quotes because there are some local farms that are not certified organic but just as good. 

However, it's not "required". Do what's best for you and fits your budget. :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/6/2018 at 1:24 PM, Dalish said:

You can eat anything you want non organic.  No one's gonna tell you that if you don't eat [insert food here] organic then you're a failure.  The overarching requirement for any type of eating is for it to be sustainable for your needs.  Can't afford to buy organic veggies?  Buy frozen ones.  Can't get grass fed meat reasonably in your area?  Regular store bought meat will still cover your bases.  Paleo isn't a diet in the traditional sense, it's a lifestyle change.  If the changes can't fit into your lifestyle then you're not going to stick to it.  A bag of frozen peas may not be organic, but they're still a whole lot healthier than the frozen pizza.

On 7/6/2018 at 6:36 PM, nattynerd said:

colloquially, we associate paleo with a certain type of diet and certain types of foods. 

-- the less popular, more verbose way of saying "paleo" is saying "nutrient-dense primal foods"

the paleo diet, and any diet for that matter, is better for one's body if the foods consumed are organic

-- as for organic food, people have different opinions on it, but common sense would say they are better than conventional foods

On 7/7/2018 at 12:42 PM, spezzy said:

This is because there is no exact definition. It's something that a bunch of different people made up, and they all made their own definitions. There are hundreds of thousands of foods in the world, it would be impossible to list every food and every person's definition of if it's paleo or not. 

Don't over think it. 

The general agreement is sticking to meats, veggies, fruits, nuts, and seeds.

Yes, typically "organic", pasture raised animals produce healthier animals, which produces healthier meats and eggs. I put organic in quotes because there are some local farms that are not certified organic but just as good. 

However, it's not "required". Do what's best for you and fits your budget. :)

So, what "Paleo" means that it's just these list of foods, whether it's organic or not?  You know...All this time I would have had more money for food and/or other stuff that I need. Siiiiiiiiiiigh.... 

313296366_HeadBangingonComputer.gif.5a7587bd4c92c97698cf4800561d6759.gif