Blender help

Will35

Since in order for me to eat healthier, I may need to blend in vegetables, even those steamed or cooked, with one or two fruits. Is the nutri-bullet necessary for this? I'm not eating lettuce, which I know does not get blended good in a blender. Or is there another kind of blender that is cheaper?

On 3/24/2018 at 1:47 PM, Will35 said:

Since in order for me to eat healthier, I may need to blend in vegetables, even those steamed or cooked, with one or two fruits. Is the nutri-bullet necessary for this? I'm not eating lettuce, which I know does not get blended good in a blender. Or is there another kind of blender that is cheaper?

First thing is why do you need to blend in veggies?  Are you just not liking them and need to hide them, or is it because you were told that's the only way to make things healthy?

Second, you can probably find a bunch of cheaper blenders on Amazon or something, but the quality is going to vary.  Nutribullets or Ninja blenders are pretty handy, but yea, they cost.  They also last forever usually.  But that kind of is where my blender knowledge ends, because I rarely make smoothies.

Though I fully admit that I never understood the whole "Green Smoothie" thing.  I'd rather have a pile of well-cooked veggies than drink them, and liquid calories disappear a lot faster than I like, which usually runs counter to my weight goals.

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Tries to be Normal

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Possibly no one bothered answering the question "is there a cheaper blender" is because you could easily answer that yourself with a browser.... Blenders generally run $20 - $400. 

More expensive blenders are more powerful, but whether you "need" one really depends on what you're doing with it.  I find a food processor far more useful for prepping veggies, personally.  But I also don't believe in drinking my food, unless I've just been to the dentist.

If you really, really want to make a lot of smoothies forever, get a Vitamix. They work.  But if you're not accustomed to eating vegetables, you should probably work on that before buying a $400 blender.

• Like 1

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

On 3/29/2018 at 9:01 AM, RisenPhoenix said:

First thing is why do you need to blend in veggies?  Are you just not liking them and need to hide them, or is it because you were told that's the only way to make things healthy?

Second, you can probably find a bunch of cheaper blenders on Amazon or something, but the quality is going to vary.  Nutribullets or Ninja blenders are pretty handy, but yea, they cost.  They also last forever usually.  But that kind of is where my blender knowledge ends, because I rarely make smoothies.

Though I fully admit that I never understood the whole "Green Smoothie" thing.  I'd rather have a pile of well-cooked veggies than drink them, and liquid calories disappear a lot faster than I like, which usually runs counter to my weight goals.

I have never eaten raw veggies so I have to juice them. And I ended up getting the nutri-bullet. Walmart had it on sale it looks like or the price has really gone down. Less than $50. I don't even know if I even need vegetables to build muscle. I always thought they are needed to cut. I have read some articles which is saying a cup of vegetables at every meal and eating them after working out does something to the muscles. It seems the only side food I can think of is rice and baked potatoes.

10 hours ago, Will35 said:

I have never eaten raw veggies so I have to juice them.

This logic makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.  If you had eaten raw veggies and disliked them and were using the blender to hide them I would understand.  But a blanket "I haven't eaten them, so blending is the only way" is the least reasonable action I could imagine.

10 hours ago, Will35 said:

I don't even know if I even need vegetables to build muscle.

Right, so, calories are needed to build muscles.  Veggies contain calories.  Ergo, fine for muscle building.  But seriously dude?  Vegetables are needed FOR A HEALTHY DIET.  The fiber, the micronutrients, the over all tasting pretty damn good when cooked well.  They are a predominant part of the food pyramid for a reason.  Eat the veggies.

On 4/1/2018 at 3:00 AM, Raincloak said:

But if you're not accustomed to eating vegetables, you should probably work on that before buying a $400 blender.

And quoting this for emphasis.

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

On 4/10/2018 at 9:30 AM, RisenPhoenix said:

This logic makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.  If you had eaten raw veggies and disliked them and were using the blender to hide them I would understand.  But a blanket "I haven't eaten them, so blending is the only way" is the least reasonable action I could imagine.

Right, so, calories are needed to build muscles.  Veggies contain calories.  Ergo, fine for muscle building.  But seriously dude?  Vegetables are needed FOR A HEALTHY DIET.  The fiber, the micronutrients, the over all tasting pretty damn good when cooked well.  They are a predominant part of the food pyramid for a reason.  Eat the veggies.

And quoting this for emphasis.

I have tried raw veggies before, when I was a kid. I have avoided them since. I ate cooked onions until I got a certain age. I can eat some foods with diced or dehydrated onions but I am swallowing basically.  What vegetables would you suggest? I am not into tomatos or onions.  Carrots, I can eat cooked, as well as collards, turnips, I can even eat celery.  But at my age you just can't suddenly start eating something you haven't.

As I have seen numerous times, protein builds muscle. And veggies contain about ten extra calories per serving. Veggies are also low in protein.  I have been drinking the green goodness again because that's closest fix I can get for now until I learn how to use my bullet.

13 hours ago, Will35 said:

I have tried raw veggies before, when I was a kid. I have avoided them since.

Presumably you're no longer a kid.  Palates change, and not liking veggies as a kid is not a viable excuse to not try eating them now.  Hell, the veggies you mention you eat are ones people habitually avoid because they don't like them, so I doubt you actually dislike veggies as much as you think.  Collard greens means you'd probably be cool with kale or chard, or a bunch of other leafy greens.  Turnips probably means you would enjoy potatoes, sweet and otherwise.  And if you eat celery, there's no reason to avoid things like snap peas or green beans.

Avoiding vegetables isn't a mature life choice.  Feel free to hate things eventually, but avoiding them before giving them a fair shake is ridiculous.  And I say that as a guy who regularly re-tries olives, kale, and button mushrooms semi-regularly, only to gag and say nope again for the longest time.

13 hours ago, Will35 said:

As I have seen numerous times, protein builds muscle. And veggies contain about ten extra calories per serving. Veggies are also low in protein.  I have been drinking the green goodness again because that's closest fix I can get for now until I learn how to use my bullet.

You're correct that protein is required to build muscles.  We're talking health now.  Vegetables are part of a healthy diet for a reason - they have benefits independent of muscle growth.  Namely fiber, water, and micronutrients not in meat and dairy.  As for caring about the calories, you need calories to build muscle, regardless of their macro content.  Trying to rationalize not eating veggies for calorie content and low protein count is just not logical.  Especially since at some point you're going to want to NOT be building muscle and/or trying to cut fat and your vegetable consumption will have to skyrocket to provide volume without heavy calorie loads.

As far as raw vs cooked goes, you don't actually need a lot of raw veg in your diet.  There's a reason humans evolved on cooked food.  Some nutrients are better preserved in raw form, but others become more accessible to your body when cooked, sprouted or fermented.  (for example, east Asians and Arctic natives hardly ever eat raw greens.  It's all stinky pickles, seaweed soup, and half-digested lichen from caribou stomachs... yum, moose barf.  Meditate on this if you are repulsed by mild baby spinach.)  Don't let anyone tell you that raw food is the key to health, cause it's not.  I rarely eat salad, just cause it spoils so fast and I hate throwing away food. Most of the veggies in my life are cooked or pickled.  Nothing wrong with that.

You do need to eat some solid veg for the fiber and stuff, though.  If you just drink juice, the bacteria lining your gut ain't getting none, and they will be sad.  You don't want your intestines and colon to be sad.  Cook the veg if you wish, but do eat some regularly.  It is quite simple, you chew it up and swallow it.  No need to use a blender, your digestive system blends things pretty efficiently on its own.

• Like 1

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

On 5/7/2018 at 8:47 PM, Will35 said:

But at my age you just can't suddenly start eating something you haven't.

Not sure of your age Will, but a little side note: Folks hid avocado in a salad when I was 7. Needless to say it didn't go over well. I didn't touch avocado/guacamole again till 33 years of age. Now I tend to go through about 5-7 a week (depending on what I'm cooking). So, yes, you CAN start eating things that you hadn't before (unless of course allergies are present).

Also, most raw veggies, at least to me, are pretty nasty. As @Raincloak stated, thats why we cook'em. Now I know some people get turned off of veggies cause they were raised on boiled/canned veggies...those a fine in certain cases, but not the best tasting. 

I'd encourage you to try 1-2 new veggies (cooked, there is NOTHING wrong with cooked) a month. Try them in a couple different ways (e.g. steamed asparagus is good, roasted asparagus is GREAT, roasted asparagus wrapped in bacon....well....Image result for homer drooling gif)

On 5/7/2018 at 8:47 PM, Will35 said:

And veggies contain about ten extra calories per serving.

I'm not quite sure what you're saying here. While not calorie free, veggies are almost calorie free, typically under 100 per "serving." 

Lastly, be careful with smoothies, especially store bought ones (not sure if you make your own "green goddes" or whatever), but a lot of times a smoothie tends to be fruit salad in a cup. Which is essentially sugar with some fiber. (Case in point, the "green" (well purple) smoothie I make each morning contains the following: 1/4 (or less) frozen blueberries, scoop chocolate protein powder (fairly low sugar), handful spinach, chia seeds, 1/2 avocado, cinnamon, and rolled oats).

Best of luck

• Like 1

Fitbit username: farflight   (would love to have more people on there)

Getting life in order is a challenge worth doing.

Happiness is the journey, not the destination (took me forever to learn that)