• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Seraphina

Drawing on the Power of Plants

I'm trying a couple of new vegan recipes each week and I'd love to get some recipe ideas from other people as well. I plan to post pictures of what the food actually looks like (vs the curated blog photos) next time.

Being terrible at introductions, generally, I'm just going to dive in with the dish I made tonight:

Peanut Tofu Buddha Bowl

Peanut-Tofu-Buddha-Bowl2.thumb.jpg.bf9b399bc0df6efcd19c567e7d6170dd.jpg

prep 20 mins

cook 15 mins

total 35 mins

yield 4 bowls

Ingredients

Tofu Bowl

2 cups cooked brown rice

1 cups shredded carrots

2 cups spinach leaves

2 cups broccoli florets

2 teaspoons olive oil or additional sesame oil, divided

1 cup chickpeas (drained and rinsed, if using canned)

salt/pepper

16 oz extra firm tofu, pressed and drained

Peanut sauce

1-2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil

1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce

1/4 cup 100% pure maple syrup

2 teaspoons chili garlic sauce

1/4 cup creamy or crunchy peanut butter

Instructions

1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Cube tofu and place in a single layer on a non-stick baking sheet and cook for 25 minutes. If you aren't using a non-stick baking sheet, lightly spray with cooking spray. Remove from oven and place in a shallow bowl.
  2. Whisk together the ingredients for the sauce (sesame oil, soy sauce, maple syrup, chili garlic sauce, peanut butter) until creamy and smooth. Add 1/2 of the sauce to the tofu bowl and let marinate while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
  3. Toss the broccoli with 1 teaspoon sesame or olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper. Place in the oven and roast for 20 minutes until just tender.
  4. Heat remaining olive or sesame oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add tofu, in batches, along with the marinating sauce until crispy and golden browned, about 3-4 minutes.
  5. To assemble, divide the brown rice among 4 bowls, top each bowl with 1/4 cup shredded carrots, 1/2 cup spinach leaves, 1/4th broccoli, 1/4 cup chickpeas and a few pieces of tofu. Drizzle with remaining peanut sauce.

I got the recipe from this blog.

Comments 

Oh.my.wow. This is the most delicious thing that I've made in a while. The "20 minutes" of prep time wasn't quite accurate for me... It took 30 minutes to cook the rice and press the tofu. I don't think the cook time is accurate either since roasting in the oven takes 20-25 minutes. I was in and out of the kitchen in an hour when it was all said and done. You can definitely prep the tofu and rice ahead of time to save time, though. 

I followed the recipe pretty closely but not faithfully. I didn't put chickpeas in, and I used white rice instead of brown. I also didn't marinate the tofu while the broccoli was roasting because I roasted them at the same time. When I portioned out a bowl, I looked at it and thought, "There's no way this is enough food." By the time I got to the end, I was full. Like I had to power through to finish the last couple bites. I didn't get hungry afterwards either, so it kept me full. So it definitely made 4 bowls for me, which I am very happy with.

Did I mention it tastes amazing? Because it does. 

Edited by Seraphina
Screwed up formatting
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ooh, I'm in!

I'm amused that your first recipe has peanut butter. I've started joking that a guaranteed way to make me like a vegan recipe is to put peanut butter in it.

Speaking of which, here's the first vegan recipe I found with peanut butter and it's absolutely amazing and really easy and fast to make:

Chipotle Black Bean and Peanut Sauce Noodle Bowls

½ cup crunchy peanut butter 
½ cup apple juice (or broth) 
2 tbsp Bragg’s liquid aminos 
3 chipotle chilis in adobo sauce, diced 
2 tsp adobo sauce (from the can of chipotle chilis) 
1 (14-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed 
1 cup shredded carrots 
1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced 
1 (14-ounce) can baby corn, drained 
1 (8-ounce) package Chinese curly noodles (they look like ramen) 

Prepare your noodles as instructed on the package.  

In a bowl, mix all ingredient except the noodles 

Toss the noodles with the chipotle peanut sauce and beans. Let sit on the still not but turned off burner for about 8 minutes to warm up the sauce 

Source: Betty Goes Vegan cookbook I checked out from the library

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Maigahane said:

Ooh, I'm in!

I'm amused that your first recipe has peanut butter. I've started joking that a guaranteed way to make me like a vegan recipe is to put peanut butter in it.

Speaking of which, here's the first vegan recipe I found with peanut butter and it's absolutely amazing and really easy and fast to make:

YAS PEANUT BUTTER IS LIFE. This recipe is interesting... so the combo of the Asian & Mexican flavors works okay? My brain has a hard time figuring out what that would taste like, so I'll definitely have to try it :lol: It does seem a lot faster & easier than the one I posted, for sure. Thanks for sharing!

So the "Mac and Cheeze" that I was all excited for last night turned out to be a filthy bowl of lies. It tasted like squash baby food. Super gross, not cheesy or creamy, and definitely not a vegan version of my favorite food. I'll never get that hour of my life back.

tumblr_lnbqyb6jLP1qlmfa9o1_250.gif.c1b3644b51ed2559ab8f73bb3bbf0e92.gif

I ended up using the leftover coconut milk to make tembleque. It's chilling in the fridge right now. If you've never had it, I highly recommend it. It's a traditional Puerto Rican food and it's a pretty fast & easy dairy-free dessert.

Tembleque for One

3/4 cup canned unsweetened coconut milk (I used lite, but if you like it creamier, use the regular stuff)

1 tsp agave or maple syrup

pinch of salt

1 tsp cornstarch (double this if you like super firm pudding)

• In medium saucepan over medium-high heat, combine all the ingredients. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil and is smooth and thick, about 5 minutes.
  • Pour into a bowl. Cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate until cold and firm, at least 3 hours, or up to 48 hours
    • I'll be real, I never cover it and I never wait that long. I usually give it an hour or two. If you're going the super firm route, you can put it into a mold and make pretty fancy pudding. I ain't got time for that.

I put lots of cinnamon on mine because that's how I like it. Some folks wait until it's ready to eat before dumping cinnamon on it. I don't, lol. If you really like coconut, coconut flakes are another good topping. This is also a lower sugar version of it than the traditional. I find it's plenty sweet and delicious this way.DSC_0152.JPG.7ed863307519e6c0588fd10e3e7d647f.JPG
Here's mine chilling in the fridge. It's a pretty white pudding since I used agave (maple syrup will give it a bit of color). Also, more cinnamon than sense because I love that shit.

14 hours ago, Seraphina said:

YAS PEANUT BUTTER IS LIFE. This recipe is interesting... so the combo of the Asian & Mexican flavors works okay? My brain has a hard time figuring out what that would taste like, so I'll definitely have to try it :lol: It does seem a lot faster & easier than the one I posted, for sure. Thanks for sharing!

It's amazing. Hubs and I both love it and he's even had a few people at his work ask to try it and they liked it too (and he works in a field full of meat and potatoes kind of guys). Hubs is omnivore and if it weren't for me he'd eat a pretty standard American diet so when he loves a vegan recipe I run with it

12 hours ago, Seraphina said:

So the "Mac and Cheeze" that I was all excited for last night turned out to be a filthy bowl of lies. It tasted like squash baby food. Super gross, not cheesy or creamy, and definitely not a vegan version of my favorite food. I'll never get that hour of my life back.

I've always been skeptical about the "cheesy" vegan recipes I see. I'm okay with vegan meat replacements (though I try to not eat a ton since they're usually heavily processed) but for some reason the idea of cheese replacements have always turned me off

1 hour ago, Maigahane said:

It's amazing. Hubs and I both love it and he's even had a few people at his work ask to try it and they liked it too (and he works in a field full of meat and potatoes kind of guys). Hubs is omnivore and if it weren't for me he'd eat a pretty standard American diet so when he loves a vegan recipe I run with it

I've always been skeptical about the "cheesy" vegan recipes I see. I'm okay with vegan meat replacements (though I try to not eat a ton since they're usually heavily processed) but for some reason the idea of cheese replacements have always turned me off

Okay, I'm definitely trying it! I do like the Daiya vegan cheese. It's more rubbery in texture than actual cheese but it has good flavor. I'm thinking about trying out the cashew cheese stuff. We'll see. :P

Y'all. Cashew cheese made a believer out of me. Video recipe below!

Vegan "Macaroni and Cheese"

Here's mine:

1523231003097.jpg.e0e0ba1398081e11c778757dc30a09a6.jpg

I put black pepper, crushed red pepper, garlic salt, and paprika on mine and I absolutely loved it. It's not exactly the same as dairy macaroni and cheese, but it is extremely filling, creamy, and has enough of a cheesy taste to satisfy the craving. I ate my bowl and was full but didn't feel gross and bloated like I'd had a bowl of cheese.

I do wish I had a better blender so the texture would come out a little less chunky. If you have a good Vitamix it should come out really smooth, but I have a Ninja :[

So thumbs down for butternut squash cheese, but cashew cheese gets a huge thumbs-up from me.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Seraphina said:

Y'all. Cashew cheese made a believer out of me.

Lol, I've been tempted by cashew cheese but I don't have a blender, much less a good high powered one

Here's tonight's dinner:

Udon with Edamame and Peanut Sauce

½ cup smooth peanut butter
¼ cup low-sodium soy sauce
1/3 cup warm water
2 tbsp fresh ginger
2 garlic gloves
2 tbsp unseasoned rice vinegar
1 ½ tbsp sesame oil
1 tbsp agave nectar
¼ bunch fresh cilantro

1 (8oz) package udon noodles (cooked)
1 cup cooked edamame
1 cup carrot, grated
1 cup cucumber, diced
1 cup bean sprouts
1 red bell pepper

Place all ingredients for sauce in a blender or a food processor, and puree

In a large bowl, toss the noodles with the sauce, then top with the veggies

I don't put in cilantro, cucumber, bean sprouts, or bell pepper. I didn't mind the bell pepper but Hubs prefers without. The bean sprouts were hard to mix in so I stopped trying (same reason I don't do cilantro). Also, per my comment above, I don't have a blender so I just mix the ingredients in a bowl with a fork

• Like 1

On 4/9/2018 at 5:26 PM, Maigahane said:

Udon with Edamame and Peanut Sauce

I don't put in cilantro, cucumber, bean sprouts, or bell pepper. I didn't mind the bell pepper but Hubs prefers without. The bean sprouts were hard to mix in so I stopped trying (same reason I don't do cilantro). Also, per my comment above, I don't have a blender so I just mix the ingredients in a bowl with a fork

Thanks for sharing easy recipes!! I'm definitely not making it easy on myself when I choose recipes to try, lol... but I also cook for one so a 4 serving recipe done in an hour suits me just fine. 

• Like 2

Tried another recipe that was a good one, so I thought I'd share! I feel like we need to rename this thread to WE JUST REALLY LIKE PEANUT BUTTER OK?! :lol:

Veggies and Lentils in Peanut Sauce | Vegan Richa #glutenfree #veganricha #vegan

Veggies and Lentils in Peanut Sauce

Total Time: 45 mins
Ingredients

For the peanut or almond sauce:

4 tbsp or more peanut butter or almond butter I usually use almond butter

2 inch piece of fresh ginger coarsely chopped

2 cloves of garlic

1 tablespoon soy sauce or use coconut aminos to make soy-free

1 to 2 tsp lime juice

zest of 1/2 a kaffir lime or regular lime

2 tbsp chopped cilantro

1/4 tsp tamarind concentrate optional

2 to 3 teaspoons Sriracha sauce or asian chili sauce to taste

1/4 tsp or more cayenne

1/4 tsp salt

1 Tbsp or more sugar

1/2 tsp sesame oil

1 cup coconut milk

For the lentils:

1/2 cup masoor dal, quick cooking split lentils washed and drained

1.5 cups water

For the Veggies:

2 tsp oil

1/3 cup sliced red or white onion

1/2 cup thinly sliced red bell pepper

1/4 cup sliced carrots

half a zucchini thinly sliced

1 Tbsp fresh basil sliced

Instructions

1. Blend all the ingredients under peanut sauce until smooth. Taste and adjust salt, sweet and spice if needed. Keep aside.
  2. Cook the lentils in 1.5 cups of water with a dash of salt and sugar, over medium heat for 10 minutes. The lentils will cook to just about done. If they are crunchy, cook a minute or so longer. Drain and keep aside.
  3. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, add oil and heat over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook until translucent. 3 to 4 minutes.
  4. Add bell peppers and carrots and cook for another 2 minutes, Add in the zucchini and basil. Add some baby greens like spinach if you like.
  5. Add the peanut sauce and mix well. Add the lentils and mix in. Reduce heat to medium and bring the sauce to a boil. About 4 minutes.
  6. Taste and adjust as needed. Check if the lentils are cooked to preference. Cook longer for softer lentils. Take off heat. Cover and let sit for another few minutes. Garnish with pepper flakes or cayenne and serve over rice, grains or wide noodles of choice.

From: https://www.veganricha.com/2015/08/lentils-in-peanut-sauce.html

It actually came out with a little bit of a red curry flavor (despite not being curry at all)... Super delicious! I served mine over rice. I used a red onion, and I didn't use zucchini or basil, but I don't think they're necessary. I think next time I make this I'll wilt some spinach in with the other veggies.

• Like 1

On 4/28/2018 at 10:57 PM, Seraphina said:

Thanks for sharing easy recipes!! I'm definitely not making it easy on myself when I choose recipes to try, lol... but I also cook for one so a 4 serving recipe done in an hour suits me just fine. 

I'm a lazy cook :) If it involves too many ingredients or too many steps I'm just not going to make it. 

On 4/28/2018 at 11:05 PM, Seraphina said:

I feel like we need to rename this thread to WE JUST REALLY LIKE PEANUT BUTTER OK?! :lol:

I literally laughed out loud when I read this

• Like 2

I'm going to share a (gasp!) non-peanut butter recipe! :D This one started out non-vegetarian but you just have to switch out the ground beef and it's instantly vegan

Chipotle-Chocolate Chili

Equivalent of 1lb ground beef (1 package of frozen "crumbles" or 1.5 cups reconstituted TVP)

1 chopped onion (red or white)

1 red bell pepper, diced

1 tsp minced garlic

3 tbsp brown sugar

2 tbsp chili powder

1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa

1 tsp ground cumin

½ tsp black pepper

¼ tsp salt

15 oz can of pinto beans, drained

15 oz can of kidney beans, drained

30oz can of diced tomatoes

14 oz of broth

½ cup chipotle salsa (I use a full jar that's more like 1.5-2 cups)

Add ground "meat", onion, bell pepper, and garlic to stockpot. Cook over medium high heat until meat is browned and vegetables are tender, approximately 8 minutes. Drain. Add remaining ingredients Stir to blend; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until slightly thickened. This is amazing with 1/2 an avocado added to your bowl

• Like 1

On 4/3/2018 at 7:36 AM, Maigahane said:

I made this and it was awesome. Super easy and delicious!!!!

DSC_0197.JPG.339714799c00a86a3a795e480f31e29b.JPG

I'm bad at recipe photos, but it's delicious, promise.

I tasted it before I added cilantro, ground peanuts, and fresh lime juice because I had some left over from another recipe. All of those flavors compliment it really well. I also added chia, hemp, and sesame seeds for added crunch and nutrition. Noodles are sweet potato aka glass noodles aka Jap Chae. I got two huge bags of them at a local Korean grocery store for $4. 

Thanks for sharing the recipe!

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Seraphina said:

I made this and it was awesome. Super easy and delicious!!!!

I'm glad you liked it! It's definitely one of the favorites at our house.

I did a thing, and it was delicious. 20 minutes, one pot, easy, and cheap to make!

Expectation vs. Reality: 

Creamy Vegan One Pot Pasta (Asian Style)DSC_0205.JPG.72f46a1aa99c6d074401cb8f230679cb.JPG

Creamy Vegan One Pot Curry Pasta (she says "Asian style", but it's curry :P)

Original recipe from: https://veganheaven.org/recipe/creamy-vegan-one-pot-pasta-asian-style/

Servings:  3 [It made 4 servings for me, perhaps it's 3 man-sized servings]

INGREDIENTS
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 zucchini, chopped [I didn't use zucchini and my normal-sized pot was full... you'll need a big pot if you put a whole zucchini in it]
1 small red bell pepper, chopped
4 1/2 cups uncooked fusilli [A whole box]
1 1/2 teaspoons red curry paste [My neighborhood grocery store didn't have this and I didn't feel like trekking to the Korean grocery store, so I used 1/3 cup pre-made Red Curry sauce]
3 cups diced tomatoes (canned) [2 cans]
1 cup coconut milk (whole fat)
1/2 cup frozen peas
1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, cut into halves
salt, to taste
black pepper, to taste
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Heat some oil in a large pot and sauté the onion for about 2-3 minutes. Then add the garlic, the zucchini, and the red bell pepper and cook for 2 more minutes.
  2. Add the remaining ingredients except for the cherry tomatoes. Cook for about 15 minutes, then add the cherry tomatoes and cook for two more minutes. Season with salt and black pepper. Enjoy!

The only thing I'm sorry about is that it doesn't have peanut butter. Not all recipes can be perfect.

• Like 1

Looks yummy! I'll have to try that one sometime

4 hours ago, Seraphina said:

The only thing I'm sorry about is that it doesn't have peanut butter. Not all recipes can be perfect.

:D 

• Like 1

Nomnomnomnomnom

Here's the expectation vs. reality, because regular people maybe kinda burn their sweet potato fries, don't have time for fancy lighting, and concepts like plating are entirely foreign:

Sloppy-Lentils-4.jpg?fit=200%2C300&ssl=1DSC_0209.JPG.5c40f63b7036f218c121278f91243d84.JPG

So easy, so delicious, so cheap, and super filling. Most of the cook time is for the lentils, which don't really need constant attention or baby-sitting. Your actual involvement in the cook time is less than 30 minutes. If you're craving Manwich and don't feel like getting one step closer to death for it, this is great.

One Pot Lentil Sloppy Joes

[Original recipe from https://helloveggie.co/lentil-sloppy-joes/]

Total time: 45 minutes

Serves: 4-6 sandwiches [possibly 100?? lol when I served my first sandwich it looked like I hadn't even grabbed anything from the pot but I was full when I finished]

Ingredients
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 small yellow onion, chopped
1 cup brown or green lentils, rinsed and picked over
2 cups vegetable broth
1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
1 tablespoon molasses
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 tablespoon tamari or soy sauce
1 teaspoon mustard powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
Pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
Salt and pepper, to taste
4-6 hamburger buns [I think you're safe to bet a whole pack on this one]

Instructions

1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until softened and just beginning to brown, about 5 minutes.
  2. Pour in the lentils and broth. Bring the lentils to a boil, then partially cover and reduce heat to low.
  3. Simmer for about 20 minutes, or until most of the liquid has absorbed and the lentils are tender enough to eat, but still firm enough to hold their shape. [Took 30 minutes at high altitude]
  4. Stir in the tomato sauce, molasses, vinegar, sugar, tomato paste, tamari, mustard powder, garlic, and cayenne. Increase the heat to medium and bring the mixture to a slow boil.
  5. Continue to cook until the sauce has thickened, 10-15 minutes more, stirring frequently.
  6. Divide the lentil mixture onto the hamburger buns and serve. Leftovers will keep in the freezer for 2-3 months.

That Peanut Tofu Buddha Bowl was delicious, thank you @Seraphinafor linking the recipe! Made it for the whole family and even my carnivore of a father loved the sauce, he said it tasted just like what he gets at his favorite Thai restaurant.