• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Isabellabarker

Not eating enough calories but still not hungry

Hi there, I have always eaten fairly healthy but recently I decided to really understand what I am putting into my body and have a regular workout regiment. I do cardio 3-5 times a week (10-30 min) and do a lot of isolated workouts on my legs. Anyways I started tracking my calories because I always thought I was going over. Turns out I’m only getting at most 1,000 and normally around 800. But I am never hungry?? I don’t consume dairy products and avoid meat but am not vegetarian, if I am presented with it I will eat it. Mostly chicken. I eat a lot if fruit and some veggies although I could probably deal with more, I still have energy and a good sleep pattern . Why am I never hungry? As us I have to force feed myself especially at night. Thanks! (Btw I am a female weigh about 135-140 lbs) 

Sometimes people go for a long time without eating enough, and their bodies just ask less. Usually though they start seeing it some other ways: energy loss, injuries, sickness. If you are not experiencing those maybe you are getting enough calories. Are you counting any fats you add when sauteeing veggies, foods that you graze on during the day? Just trying to think of some hidden calories you may not be counting. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Elastigirl said:

Sometimes people go for a long time without eating enough, and their bodies just ask less. Usually though they start seeing it some other ways: energy loss, injuries, sickness. If you are not experiencing those maybe you are getting enough calories. Are you counting any fats you add when sauteeing veggies, foods that you graze on during the day? Just trying to think of some hidden calories you may not be counting. 

I don’t normally sauté it cook veggies I eat most my foods raw, and must the time I do t even finish a meal but will still count the full meals calories

18 minutes ago, Isabellabarker said:

I don’t normally sauté it cook veggies I eat most my foods raw, and must the time I do t even finish a meal but will still count the full meals calories

So you are mainly just eating raw veggies and not having any fats? Then I would say yeah, you are under eating. Try eating by MFP for a few weeks, hitting within about 100- 200 of your calorie goal and see how you feel.

Sometimes the appetite just doesn't kick in, especially if there are no appealing foods immediately available, or a long period of undereating, or a lot of emotions about eating too much or eating the wrong things. Caffeine and other stimulants, and some medications, can also kill your appetite. Some medical conditions can kill your appetite... If your digestion is really sluggish, that'll tend to kill the appetite. If you've got bad sinus problems, and can hardly smell anything, food is a lot less appealing. 

It might be helpful for you to look at what is going on when you eat and don't eat. Like when you do eat, do you enjoy food? Or are there a lot of foods that the texture or taste is just weird or unappealing. Is tasty food available? Or is it a big hassle to prepare food, or too expensive to buy stuff you would enjoy, or you just don't have time? Do you feel bad about eating? Like whenever you eat or buy food or prepare food, do you worry about your health, or your weight, or that industrialized agriculture is destroying the environment, or that this is not sufficiently "healthy"/"clean" food? When you aren't eating, are you thinking about food (or thinking about your weight/etc)? Or are you just so caught up in other things that you forget to eat? 

People have some really complicated relationships with food, and our emotional state has a huge impact on our digestion and appetite.

• Like 1

On a more practical note - I had a few years where (due to health issues) my appetite was really low, and I just had to discipline myself to eat. At the time we had dairy goats, so we'd just put aside one quart jar of goat milk for me that I had to finish by the end of the day. I'd also cut foods like sandwiches up into little bite-sized pieces, and just eat one piece every time I walked by.

Snacking on nuts and peanut butter is a good way to sneak in a lot of calories. Smoothies, juice, and other liquid calories are also good.

Also, there is nothing wrong with occasional treats to stimulate the appetite. A little bit of something fatty and/or sweet, or a glass of wine, can often get you hungry for more.

It might seem counter-intuitive, but another thing you might try is to do a 1-day fast, just to get acquainted with what physical hunger feels like. And if you are still feeling indifferent to eating after a day of nothing but water, there is almost certainly something going on with you that you should probably get sorted out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Darth Yoga said:

On a more practical note - I had a few years where (due to health issues) my appetite was really low, and I just had to discipline myself to eat. At the time we had dairy goats, so we'd just put aside one quart jar of goat milk for me that I had to finish by the end of the day. I'd also cut foods like sandwiches up into little bite-sized pieces, and just eat one piece every time I walked by.

Snacking on nuts and peanut butter is a good way to sneak in a lot of calories. Smoothies, juice, and other liquid calories are also good.

Also, there is nothing wrong with occasional treats to stimulate the appetite. A little bit of something fatty and/or sweet, or a glass of wine, can often get you hungry for more.

It might seem counter-intuitive, but another thing you might try is to do a 1-day fast, just to get acquainted with what physical hunger feels like. And if you are still feeling indifferent to eating after a day of nothing but water, there is almost certainly something going on with you that you should probably get sorted out.

As a kid I used to eat extremely unhealthy just because that was what was always offered to me but I never really gained a lot of weight I have always been a fairly normal size for my height. I definitely think about my weight when I eat but not to the point where I won’t eat because I want to restrict in fear of gaining. I am hungry during the morning/ afternoon but very little fills me up so I can’t have an apple or nana and that will fill me up til dinner, and I never really get hungry for dinner I more or less force myself to eat it. In fact a lot of times I am repulsed by the smell of food. I agree that it could be a medical thing as I have had awful chest pains and stomach upsets for a few years. Have been to the doctor and had many tests but they found nothing. I have only recently noticed how unhungry I am because before I would snack in little things all day even when I wasn’t hungry. Just bored. Still no idea I will definitely bring it up at my next doctors appointment though.

I had/have a lot of problem with undereating as a rule. It all started when I starting having stomach issues, which I noticed you say you have. I would get nausea occasionally after I ate. It got to the point where I got nausea after I ate at least 80% of the time. I use to see how long I would go without being hungry out of curiosity and I would wake up about 8 am and not be hungry by 3pm. Usually I caved and ate around then as it seemed to be too long. I tracked my food for a couple weeks and I was eating 800-1000 calories on average, but rarely got hungry. I usually just ate, because I knew it wasn't good to not eat anything. I don't know why. I think stomach issues though is probably the reason I was never hungry to begin with. For me it turns out I was sensitive to quite a few different foods and thus was always eating something that was upsetting my stomach, but sometimes in such a mild way I wasn't aware. That is until I avoided it for 30 days and then tried adding it back in.