What's Great for a Snack and Fits on Your Back?

It's Log! Log! Log!

tumblr_muzadzxL5y1sk37nao1_500.gif

Alright, here is my new NF home for the time being.  I'm not going to do challenges for a while; instead I'll just see if I can find some kind of life balance while trying to make small changes that get my physical fitness headed in the right direction again.  As of today I'm pretty much right back where I started this whole mess at the end of 2014, except now I'm old and busted on top of being fat and slow.  It's getting much harder to want to do fitnessy things, but my physical, emotional, and mental well-being (not to mention my wardrobe) are suffering for the return to fatness.  Something's gotta change.

So for this week I'm focusing on getting enough sleep.  That's it.  When I'm rebalanced with a proper sleep schedule I'll start working on dietary improvements again.

I've missed you guys.  Feels good to be back.

It's big, it's heavy, it's wood.  (that's what she said)

1zgyji9.png

• Like 5

He has showed you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of

you but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God?

1 hour ago, DrFeelgood said:

I've missed you guys.  Feels good to be back.

Right back at ya.  Glad you are back.  

Image result for log gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

Respawn Challenge Arcs: 2021 | 2022

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020

Starting weight = 290.4 (2014); Current weight = 241.2; Total pounds lost: 49.2

21 hours ago, LadyShello said:

Right back at ya.  Glad you are back.  

Image result for log gif

Thanks. :)

14 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

I’m glad to see you again. I was thinking of you as we drove through OK.

I wondered if you'd be coming through here.  Hope all of your travels have been safe and fun!

I'm counting last night as a win.  In spite of internal pressure to keep playing Rocket League in an attempt to reverse my current skid I shut everything down at 11 and went to bed.  There were still too many snoozes this morning, but I'm feeling pretty well rested which is a nice change of pace.

And I have leftover peanut curry (made by Boomer, with an assist from MFG) for lunch today, so it's aces on all fronts. :)

• Like 2

Day 2 - another successful night of shutting off my PS4 at 11 and getting up to bed.  Sleep was somewhat hesitant; I was probably a little wired from some excellent RL games plus too much soda during the day.  But I eventually settled down, and I'm feeling well-rested again today.  That's two in a row.

Winning streak. B)

• Like 3

Day 3 - even better.  After putting the Minions to bed MFG and I watched a couple of shows together and then headed upstairs for bed around 10:30.  I definitely beginning to feel the improvement from getting proper sleep again.  On the other hand I weighed myself this morning for the first time in a while, and unsurprisingly I saw a high number that doesn't make me feel good.  If I can manage to keep building the habit of proper sleep through the coming weekend then I think I'll be ready to tackle a few dietary changes next week.

• Like 1

Day 4 - Friday was tough since MFG took Bubbles and her AHG troop camping.  I was home with the boys, so we had a nice dinner and spent some time together before bed.  Once they were down I played some RL for a while, then I killed it to try and get some sleep.  But my brain kept waiting for MFG to come to bed, and the restlessness prevented me from winding down, so I watched some TV until I was finally exhausted.

Day 5 - Saturday was better.  The camping trip got cut short due to freezing overnight temperatures, so MFG and Bubbles were back home before bed.  And since I had to be up early for music on Sunday it was all too easy to go to bed at an appropriate hour and get a full night's sleep.

Day 6 - Sunday was super busy, and MFG and I stayed up a little too long since the late hours were our only peace for the day.  It was still fun to watch some TV with her and just enjoy each other's company, so it was worth it, but I overshot my alarm a bit this morning.  No biggie, it'll just be a slightly later work day to help get back on course tonight.

• Like 3

Day 7 - One week back at it and I'm feeling slightly better, though I'm still not super-enthusiastic about fixing my diet or getting back to the gym.  I stayed up a little too late last night repairing my rank in Rocket League after dropping a couple of divisions while playing doubles with my brother, but I was still in bed before midnight.  I did seem to eat a little more mindfully yesterday, but I wasn't being deliberate about it.  Some changes are definitely in order though--my digestive chemistry is all kinds of out of whack.

Maybe when the last of the ice cream is gone. ;)

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I've come to stare at your wood.

Mirin'.  B)  Perhaps it will be impressive at some point.

12 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

HI!!!!!!! :love_heart:

Halloooooo, Snarky!  Welcome to the log. :)

Day 8 - Killed the PS4 early (RL just wasn't being fun) and took care of some household stuffs.  Headed up to bed well before 10, but stayed awake bingeing The Office (US) on Netflix before getting tired enough to fall asleep.  Probably should've gotten more sleep.

I'm feeling pretty terrible lately.  I tried to snap a more up-to-date selfie for my Facebook profile, and my (beardless) face is so fat that I immediately deleted every attempt from my phone.  And everything I eat seems to initiate some kind of violence in my system.  The usual body aches and pains are still very much part of my day-to-day, but now that I'm squishy again I'm also experiencing lower-back pain whenever I try to do anything as simple as the dishes.  I know some deliberate lifestyle changes will help will all of these things, but I just feel so resistant right now.  My bitterness at losing all of my progress seems to still be growing despite my attempt to assuage it with a long break from even thinking about fitness.  I am firmly in "Screw You" mode toward anything that even mildly annoys me, but lately that's pretty much just myself.

Unfortunately the last couple of years have demonstrated that I'm fairly skilled at screwing myself.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

We had a bug here recently that made everything hurt, and everything we ate turn into a weapon of gas destruction. Maybe you are having this bug?

My issues are more in the acid-reflux range of violence, which is decidedly less fun than going full Boomer Sooner on the household.

I don't think it's a bug, just age and poor decisions.

• Like 1

Hey, @DrFeelgood! I've missed you - good to see you back!

Way to go on getting your sleep back on track - that's my biggest nemesis right now and I'm really impressed that you're doing so well at it. Keep up the good work!

And I hope you stop annoying yourself soon - I promise I know what that's like and it sucks!!!

• Like 1

SKY ELVENWORD NOBLEHEART

The Silver Archer, Ranger Level 53

Jesus-follower | Writer | Encourager | Resident Myers-Briggs and Enneagram Geek 

"Knowing that we can be loved exactly as we are gives us all the best opportunity for growing into the healthiest of people." - Fred Rogers

17 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I'm with you buddy. I'm in the "getting fat" stage of intuitive eating. I don't like it, but I'm not gonna beat myself up about it.

How long is that stage supposed to last?  'Cause I'm going on 41 years now with only a couple breaks in the trend. :D

15 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Age and poor decisions are my whole life right now brother. Time for us to break the cycle.

Age makes the poor decisions worse, too.  As my body continues to annoy me "Screw You" mode compels me to do even stupider things out of spite.

"Stop hurting for no reason, Shoulder, or I'm gonna pound you with quarts of ice cream." :P  Not smart.

14 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

I completely understand! :D You're gonna be okay, mister.

Thanks.  I'm already feeling a little better after venting.  Now I just gotta figure out how to want to stop being a potato.

12 hours ago, SkyGirl said:

Hey, @DrFeelgood! I've missed you - good to see you back!

Way to go on getting your sleep back on track - that's my biggest nemesis right now and I'm really impressed that you're doing so well at it. Keep up the good work!

And I hope you stop annoying yourself soon - I promise I know what that's like and it sucks!!!

Hi Sky, thanks for checking in. :)  I could tell you that if you really want to learn how to sleep then you should just have a bunch of kids, but it hasn't helped me at all.  :lol:  There's really nothing else to do besides cultivate the discipline of going to bed, even when I'd rather not.  And "Screw You" mode comes in to play sometimes when I'm on a video game streak but the clock keeps marching toward morning.  I'm getting better; I haven't had any all-nighters since coming back to the forum.

Day 9 - Much improved performance, slightly improved outlook.  After berating myself and whining to you guys (seriously, thanks for listening) I felt a little better, and that translated to some kind of weird, sad freedom to not eat as much as I have been lately.  MFG made turkey chili with cornbread for dinner, and since I wanted to keep the GERDy issues away I ate less than half of what I normally would have.  That turned out to be sufficient, and after eating a chocolate chip cookie (Bubbles made them for youth group and saved me one) I was pretty content for the evening.

MFG went shopping after dropping the yutes at church, and I finished going through the birds-and-bees book with Boomer.  It was a good talk and I'm confident he understands our family values and their philosophical underpinnings.  Then I played a couple of matches in Rocket League to continue the grinding climb out of Gold rank.  MFG returned from the store with 6 rotisserie chickens (among other groceries), so I spent the next hour breaking them all down into skinless cubes and getting them packaged and stored for various future meals.  Once kitchen duties were complete I saddled up for a few more RL matches.  I went 5-for-5 on the night and ranked up to Platinum I for the first time ever, so I was pretty stoked.  Every single match was an absolute battle to the finish, and in the case of the final match we went 7-1/2 minutes of overtime after a scoreless main before finally settling the victory at 1-0.  After that it was easy to turn everything off and head upstairs for rituals and bedtime.

I hopped on the scale this morning before work just to see what's what, and to my happy surprise I'm actually down a couple of pounds since the last check-in.  With sleep habits returning to good I think I may be ready to start implementing a few dietary changes, starting with tapering my consumption of DDP.  I've got a small stockpile in the garage at home, so I'm going to try and reduce my consumption to just two cans per day for the rest of this week followed by one can per day until they're gone.  And since MFG is wanting to start leaning low-carb again some of those improvements will naturally find their way in to my diet as well.  Perhaps this is the start of some sustainable progress, that'd be nice.  :)

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, DrFeelgood said:

How long is that stage supposed to last?  'Cause I'm going on 41 years now with only a couple breaks in the trend. :D

16 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Till you get "Screw You" out of your system, which may be soon judging by the rest of your post.

• Like 3

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

5 hours ago, DrFeelgood said:

I finished going through the birds-and-bees book with Boomer.  It was a good talk and I'm confident he understands our family values and their philosophical underpinnings.

I know you've mentioned this before but it entirely escaped me that you were using a book as a guide.  What book are you using?   is it geared towards discussing birds-and-bees with just boys or is it geared all around?   I've probably done a better job with these talks with Peach as LS and I had naturally arranged ourselves to pair up along gender lines.  But I have some doubts about the level of discussion for Qbert and it couldn't hurt to revisit the talk some more with Peach either. 

• Like 1

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

16 minutes ago, LadyShello said:

I know you've mentioned this before but it entirely escaped me that you were using a book as a guide.  What book are you using?   is it geared towards discussing birds-and-bees with just boys or is it geared all around?   I've probably done a better job with these talks with Peach as LS and I had naturally arranged ourselves to pair up along gender lines.  But I have some doubts about the level of discussion for Qbert and it couldn't hurt to revisit the talk some more with Peach either. 

It's specific to boys, but it discusses both male and female development.  There is a girl version that MFG went through with Bubbles.  I don't have the title off-hand, but it's written from a pretty staunch Christian perspective.  Every chapter ends with a prayer (most of which I honestly find a little cheesy).  Obviously I endorse it for those families whose values and beliefs are similarly aligned, but other folks are probably better served by a more secular approach.  Even I feel like rolling my eyes at about 10% of the content, and I'm as Biblically conservative as it gets when it comes to sexuality.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DrFeelgood said:

It's specific to boys, but it discusses both male and female development.  There is a girl version that MFG went through with Bubbles.  I don't have the title off-hand, but it's written from a pretty staunch Christian perspective.  Every chapter ends with a prayer (most of which I honestly find a little cheesy).  Obviously I endorse it for those families whose values and beliefs are similarly aligned, but other folks are probably better served by a more secular approach.  Even I feel like rolling my eyes at about 10% of the content, and I'm as Biblically conservative as it gets when it comes to sexuality.

Well if 10% of it is eye-rolling to the Doodlie moral compass then it probaly wouldn't suit my needs.  :P   I will just have to adhere to a similar tactic on Qbert that I used for Peach, despite any embarassment on his part.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, LadyShello said:

I will just have to adhere to a similar tactic on Qbert that I used for Peach, despite any embarassment on his part.  

I'm sure he'll get over it.  My public-school sex-ed classes were all taught by women.  Somehow we survived.

On a more fitnessy note, I just ate a 3 Musketeers bar and I immediately regret it (not worth the calories).  At least I have to mow the lawn this evening, so I'll burn more energy than what Rocket League demands.

• Like 1

Just now, DrFeelgood said:

On a more fitnessy note, I just ate a 3 Musketeers bar and I immediately regret it (not worth the calories).  At least I have to mow the lawn this evening, so I'll burn more energy than what Rocket League demands.

The fact that you immediately regretted it could be a sign that you are getting past the "Screw it" phase.  babysteps. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, LadyShello said:

The fact that you immediately regretted it could be a sign that you are getting past the "Screw it" phase.  babysteps. 

I hope so.  Seems like it's waning slowly.  I actually felt like doing some pushups this morning.  I didn't do any, but I felt like it. :D

And if that's not the baby-est of steps then I don't know what is.

Day 10 - Pretty okay, I'd say--candy bar notwithstanding.  I didn't overeat and I didn't withhold any food from myself.  I stuck to my two-DDP limit.  MFG and Brick had gotten most of the lawn mowing done for me, and by the time I got home all I needed to do was go fill up the gas can and add fuel to the mower so Brick could finish the backyard.  While he did that I managed to coordinate a few RL item trades, then we all sat down to dinner (chicken, broccoli, green-chile quiche, and then Bubbles made blueberry pancakes for dessert).  Afterward I did some RL training, then my brother got online and we played a few tournaments.  We got absolutely mauled by a Champ III (penultimate rank) and his Diamond II (still several divisions above me) teammate, but it was fun to see that level of gameplay firsthand and I felt like my defense was finally coming around in the last minute or two.  I pushed a couple more matches after bro signed off, then when I was finally winning my internet cut out and I got booted from the server.   Figures.

That was as good a sign as any to head to bed, so I did.  I watched a few too many episodes of The Office before closing the tablet and dozing off.  Not bad at all.  :)

• Like 3