What's Great for a Snack and Fits on Your Back?

Monday Morning Recap.

Day 11 (Friday) - MFG and I had a date night (what's the point of raising a daughter to teenage-dom if not to exploit her for babysitting her younger brothers?) to the fancy (ish) restaurant in town where I ate a massive burger.  Afterward we did some shopping where I probably ate too many treats (a theme for the weekend), then we headed home to watch TV and stay up a little too late.

Day 12 (Saturday) - 'Twas mad rainy all day so we bunkered down and watched The Avengers for family movie day--we've been getting the kids up to speed with the Marvel movies in preparation for Infinity War.  It was fun to see how much they loved it since it's my absolute favorite in the run.  I made homemade deep-dish pizzas for dinner.  MFG and I stayed up late again getting caught up with our sitcoms.  I also played a fair bit of Rocket League during the day.

Day 13 (Sunday) - We took a break from church to just enjoy a nice slow family morning after sleeping in.  I needed to get 10 wins at my new RL rank to earn the season reward for this level, so I played most of the morning and finally got the wins.  MFG made enchiladas for lunch, then we watched The Avengers again because the kids loved it and it was due back to the red machine before bedtime.  Dinner was leftovers, then MFG and I stayed up to get caught up on the last few episodes of Supernatural while I ate a pint of ice cream.  I was a little too wired to go to sleep on time, so I watched The Office for a while until I was tired.

The weekend wasn't entirely to standards, but I enjoyed it.  I did satisfy my DDP goal and I'm down to 1 can per day as of this morning.  Bubbles is getting braces tomorrow, so our household diet is about to get a minor overhaul.  It'll be a good opportunity to root out and discard anything that isn't helpful, which includes the final pint of Rocky Road in my freezer. :D

• Like 5

He has showed you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of

you but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God?

7 minutes ago, DrFeelgood said:

It'll be a good opportunity to root out and discard anything that isn't helpful, which includes the final pint of Rocky Road in my freezer

Just send it here, I will help you get rid of it ;)

Doodlie for life, Pancake by choice
Spoiler

Challenge 12, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 

Challenges 2017: 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28

Challenges 2018: 29, 30, 31, 32, 3334, 35,

Challenges 2019: 36, 37, 38, 39, 40

Challenges 2020: 41, 42, 43, 44, 45

Challenges 2023: 46, 47

3 minutes ago, Terah said:

Just send it here, I will help you get rid of it ;)

Last package I sent took several weeks to arrive.  It wouldn't be Rocky Road by the time it got there, so I'd better just polish it off for you. B)

• Like 2

Date night, Avengers, deep dish pizza, and ice cream sounds about as good as a weekend can get.  

• Like 2

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

Respawn Challenge Arcs: 2021 | 2022

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020

Starting weight = 290.4 (2014); Current weight = 241.2; Total pounds lost: 49.2

7 hours ago, LadyShello said:

Date night, Avengers, deep dish pizza, and ice cream sounds about as good as a weekend can get.  

Don't forget the Rocket League achievements. B)  I never thought I'd make Platinum by the end of this season.

5 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

There are like a million Marvel movies and I’ve only seen a couple. If I wanted to catch up, which ones are essential and in what order?

We're just working our way down the list.  So far we've only completed Phase I.  I imagine the main character stories are most essential, but I know there are bits and pieces in each of the other movies, too, that will contribute to enjoyment of Infinity War.  To my mind, release order is the only way to watch movies--with the only exception being Star Wars, since Machete order is demonstrably better than release order.

• Like 3

Day 14 - Just so-so.  I stuck to my DDP goal and shut off the PS4 before 11 pm, but I stayed up too late again anyway surfing the web in bed.  My mind feels restless, and my body is completely disappointing.  I feel like I want to get back on the fitness-wagon fully, but I'm so tired of doing it alone.  The rest of the day was pleasant enough.  I enjoyed my meals and treats, finished off the ice cream, and had some fun with my boys in the evening while MFG and Bubbles went to their troop meeting.  Since I had an entire ham to dice for future meals and a sink full of dishes that needed doing I set the boys to designing cars for me in Rocket League.  Then when I was finished with my chores I took each of their designs online to play a couple of games.  Cheap way to keep them entertained. :)  After their bedtime MFG and I relaxed (she with her book, I with my PS4) until bedtime, but even when the lights were out I couldn't sleep, so a few more episodes of The Office joined the mix until I was tired.

Have you ever had water trapped in your ear?  Yeah, I had that all day, and it's persisting this morning despite my best attempts to remove it. :angry:  Hopefully I can get it to subside before band rehearsal tonight so I don't have to endure the added discomfort with my in-ear monitor.

Today should be a fine day, so I'm going to focus on my simple goals and try to go light on calorie intake to see if I can rein in the recent bloat.  And it's long past time for me to get back to some form of exercise.  The barbells are calling to me, but they're calling from a place I don't want to go. :D  I need a home gym.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

There are like a million Marvel movies and I’ve only seen a couple. If I wanted to catch up, which ones are essential and in what order?

Are you trying to squeeze in a few before seeing Infinity War? Or are you on a more expansive timeline?

Because if we're talking "which are the 3 most important that I can watch before Friday", that's a different story than "what order should I watch all 10 years' worth of movies in".  :) 

10 minutes ago, DrFeelgood said:

Have you ever had water trapped in your ear?  Yeah, I had that all day, and it's persisting this morning despite my best attempts to remove it. :angry:  Hopefully I can get it to subside before band rehearsal tonight so I don't have to endure the added discomfort with my in-ear monitor.

Oooh, I hate that. We had some purportedly "natural" eardrops that we used to use for these purposes, but I can't remember the brand or what they had in them. I hope it resolves soon, because trying to put an earpiece in a waterlogged ear is ghastly.

• Like 1

SKY ELVENWORD NOBLEHEART

The Silver Archer, Ranger Level 53

Jesus-follower | Writer | Encourager | Resident Myers-Briggs and Enneagram Geek 

"Knowing that we can be loved exactly as we are gives us all the best opportunity for growing into the healthiest of people." - Fred Rogers

29 minutes ago, DrFeelgood said:

I feel like I want to get back on the fitness-wagon fully, but I'm so tired of doing it alone.

Would a pact help? Posting sweaty selfies in pm to each other after a workout to keep each other accountable ;) Or something like that. And if you miss a workout the other can modify your profile pic into something shameful :D

You've got the whole of nf on your side, use it :)

• Like 2
Doodlie for life, Pancake by choice
Spoiler

Challenge 12, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 

Challenges 2017: 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28

Challenges 2018: 29, 30, 31, 32, 3334, 35,

Challenges 2019: 36, 37, 38, 39, 40

Challenges 2020: 41, 42, 43, 44, 45

Challenges 2023: 46, 47

1 hour ago, DrFeelgood said:

My mind feels restless, and my body is completely disappointing.   

I think you are a great guy, DFG. you've made a major move, helped your family adapt, you are a great listener, a skilled craftsman and fellow conessiour of ice cream sandwiches. Everything that makes you who you are is wonderful. And I think the first step to making those healthy self-caring choices is to stop being so hard on yourself. 

You are not alone. I promise. :)

• Like 2
5 hours ago, DrFeelgood said:

I feel like I want to get back on the fitness-wagon fully, but I'm so tired of doing it alone.

I suspect you are talking about support at home, even so I want to remind you: No Ranger Stands Alone.

• Like 3

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

First of all - I found you!

Secondly:

15 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:
21 hours ago, DrFeelgood said:

I suspect you are talking about support at home, even so I want to remind you: No Ranger Stands Alone.

I get this so much! It's a frustrating situation. I can't even get the kids to decide to do anything fitness-y with me. If you ever need an extra accountability partner, let me know. 

• Like 1
22 hours ago, SkyGirl said:

Oooh, I hate that. We had some purportedly "natural" eardrops that we used to use for these purposes, but I can't remember the brand or what they had in them. I hope it resolves soon, because trying to put an earpiece in a waterlogged ear is ghastly.

I have bag of dry rice that I sometimes microwave so I can apply heat to sore areas--I warmed it up real good then rested my head on it so the heat could soften whatever was blocking and the water would drain away.  It didn't do the complete trick, but it was a vast improvement.

21 hours ago, Terah said:

Would a pact help? Posting sweaty selfies in pm to each other after a workout to keep each other accountable ;) Or something like that. And if you miss a workout the other can modify your profile pic into something shameful :D

You've got the whole of nf on your side, use it :)

I have no idea what would get me moving again.  But if I come up with something that y'all can help me with then I'll put it up.

21 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

I think you are a great guy, DFG. you've made a major move, helped your family adapt, you are a great listener, a skilled craftsman and fellow conessiour of ice cream sandwiches. Everything that makes you who you are is wonderful. And I think the first step to making those healthy self-caring choices is to stop being so hard on yourself. 

You are not alone. I promise. :)

Thanks, Snarky.  I appreciate the encouragement, and I probably have been harder on myself than is necessary.

21 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

@Skygirl, I won’t see the new movie until it hits the second-run theater. I guess I only want to see the essential ones (Spider-Man isn’t essential to me ;) ).

Spider-Man is a great movie, but I think you can skip it for the sake of Infinity War.  You'll get the gist of his character in Civil War, which is one of the essentials, IMHO.

17 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

That's part of it, but it's not just there.  It's at the gym, too.  It's in all the practical things I need to do to be fit.  It's in the ridiculous and demoralizing (and expensive) medical crap that suddenly keeps cropping up for literally no reason whatsoever.  Apart from the support I get (and try to give) here--which I truly do appreciate--fitness is one of the most isolating things in my life.  It wasn't before, and even during the brief periods when it was I could make up for it in other ways.  I'm so isolated in most areas of my life now that I have zero interest in perpetuating it for the sake of what boils down to vanity, at least in my head at this moment.

Except for my church here, I regret almost everything about moving.

1 hour ago, Sylvaa said:

First of all - I found you!

Secondly:

I get this so much! It's a frustrating situation. I can't even get the kids to decide to do anything fitness-y with me. If you ever need an extra accountability partner, let me know. 

Glad you found me. :)  I was disappointed on your behalf when the Flyers were eliminated.

My kids are still too young to join me at the gym, but the boys seem interested in it when they're old enough and I think that will help.  But even when I try to take control of my eating it becomes an exercise in daily fortitude: "Dad can't eat that."  "Dieting makes you grumpy."  "How long are you planning to do this?"  Then MFG wants to join me, but she makes a whole bunch of compromises that stifle her progress, so she gets frustrated, and I get discouraged at how annoyed she is when I make progress.  In terms of getting sexy her opinion is the only one that actually matters to me, and if getting/being sexy just makes her unhappy then it's not worth it, at all.  Farewell, motivation.

It seems like my only real driving force is that my wardrobe is getting increasingly uncomfortable, and I don't want to have to buy new fat clothes all over again after emptying my closet of them back in 2015.  Well that and because I feel terrible--but after the last couple of years I don't trust exercise anymore in that regard either.

Sorry, that's enough griping for today.  Thanks for letting me vent, y'all.  I do feel a little better.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Day 15 - The start of Week 3 on my rebooted fitness-ish initiative.  Historically for me the third week in to any kind of change has always been a major emotional drain, and this one is shaping up true to form.  The so-so pattern continued yesterday when I added a second DDP, then after band practice MFG and I stayed up a little too late watching YouTube videos.  I think she was deliberately trying to keep me from playing Rocket League, which I resent a little bit.  I made and ate too many snacks while watching TV with her, then I gave up and decided to head to bed at 11.  On my way to the stairs I remembered that I needed to pay our May 1st bills, so that took another 20 minutes or so of home-office-ing.  Then when I got upstairs I was re-wired from the excitement of bill-paying (yay) and couldn't sleep, so I streamed Netflix until I was tired.  I think I'm falling in to a pattern that doesn't fit what I'm aiming for.  Certainly my sleep schedule is off by at least an hour.

qBRJWRg.jpg

Bubbles got the first phase of her braces yesterday and she's being a super trooper.  MFG and I decided to pay in full up front, and that led to a surprise 10% discount which was nice.  Maybe I'll use the savings to put a monitor in front of the treadmill so I can walk while I play my PS4.

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, DrFeelgood said:

That's part of it, but it's not just there.  It's at the gym, too.  It's in all the practical things I need to do to be fit.  It's in the ridiculous and demoralizing (and expensive) medical crap that suddenly keeps cropping up for literally no reason whatsoever.  Apart from the support I get (and try to give) here--which I truly do appreciate--fitness is one of the most isolating things in my life.  It wasn't before, and even during the brief periods when it was I could make up for it in other ways.  I'm so isolated in most areas of my life now that I have zero interest in perpetuating it for the sake of what boils down to vanity, at least in my head at this moment.

Except for my church here, I regret almost everything about moving.

I keep daydreaming about you finding a job down here...

• Like 1

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

1 hour ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I keep daydreaming about you finding a job down here...

That would be pretty dang cool.  Though my brother keeps saying the same thing about DFW.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DrFeelgood said:

That would be pretty dang cool.  Though my brother keeps saying the same thing about DFW.

There is no Big Lou's Pizza in DFW.

42 Inch Diameter Pizza.

Plus our Tacos are better. Search your feelings, you know this to be true.

• Like 2

Current Challenge

7 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

There is no Big Lou's Pizza in DFW.

42 Inch Diameter Pizza.

Plus our Tacos are better. Search your feelings, you know this to be true.

I throw my own pizzas, so I'm covered there.  If I want more I just make more.  B)

The tacos (among other things) are extremely tempting.  :)

1 hour ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Go to Austin. You can train with Spezzy.

Austin is the last place in Texas I would go, but I do have a college buddy running for mayor of Cedar Park.  And since that's where our hockey meet-up was I already know I like the area.  You may be on to something.  I could drive down to lift with her and then find some good brisket.  :D

Spezzy and Saint were my inspiration to get started in the first place.  Perhaps I should re-read their stories.

• Like 1

Day 16 - Much improved.  I stuck to just the one DDP, and even though I stayed up a little later than I intended it wasn't due to streaming or surfing or gaming (well, maybe a little gaming).  I also kept a little more conscientious with my meal portion sizes and took more care with my snacks without being needlessly restrictive.  I finished off the last of my Easter-clearance candy--Reese's eggs that I've been storing in my 14th anniversary gift to MFG:

See the source image

Her gift to me was letting me buy it. :D

Since it was super rainy yesterday I came home from work to find the kids taking turns on the treadmill.  MFG clearly needed them to burn off some energy. :lol:

After family dinner (scrambled eggs with bacon and hash browns, yum!) the yutes went to church group while the young'uns and I chilled at home.  I saw that Rocket League was on sale on Steam, so even though I'm not prepared to make the jump I went ahead and bought it to get ready.  To my surprise it can actually run on my current PC despite the ultra-weak GPU.  It's not great; even with all the settings turned way down I only get about 40 fps and there's tearing and all sorts of other motion artifacts, but it's at least as playable as the PS4.  For funsies I decided to play all my placement matches and got ranked Plat II Div III, which is a few divisions higher than my PS4 rank.  Now I'm going to fast-track my GPU upgrade so I can make the jump permanent.  The kids will have fun with the PS4.

I played until around 10:30, then I sat with MFG while she browsed recipes on YouTube.  It looks like some creamed spinach is in my near future.  By 11 I was exhausted and ready to head upstairs, but upon retiring I found a bunch of clean laundry on my bed that needed folding or hanging.  I knocked that out, brushed my teeth, surfed interwebs for 10 minutes or so, and then closed my eyes for a good night's rest.  Today I'm feeling a bit better, and I'm going to go reread those inspiration stories to see if I can get pumped up about fitnessing again.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, DrFeelgood said:

After family dinner (scrambled eggs with bacon and hash browns, yum!) the yutes went to church group while the young'uns and I chilled at home.  I saw that Rocket League was on sale on Steam, so even though I'm not prepared to make the jump I went ahead and bought it to get ready.  To my surprise it can actually run on my current PC despite the ultra-weak GPU.  It's not great; even with all the settings turned way down I only get about 40 fps and there's tearing and all sorts of other motion artifacts, but it's at least as playable as the PS4.  For funsies I decided to play all my placement matches and got ranked Plat II Div III, which is a few divisions higher than my PS4 rank.  Now I'm going to fast-track my GPU upgrade so I can make the jump permanent.  The kids will have fun with the PS4.

#pcmasterrace

I sense a change in the wind. I think your momentum is about to turn around.

Don't make me a liar.

• Like 2

Current Challenge

18 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

#pcmasterrace

My home entertainment center currently has an N64, an Xbox (classic), a Wii, and a PS4 all hooked up and ready to go; plus the Roku has a few lite-gaming apps we like.  The Xbox is soft-modded to also emulate NES, SNES, and Sega Genesis stuff.  Then we have our tablets and phones.  Then consider that my Steam account is probably older than most of the playerbase.  B)  #coexist

18 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I sense a change in the wind. I think your momentum is about to turn around.

Don't make me a liar.

Shhhhsshhhh, you'll scare it away. :D

I wouldn't at all mind an infusion of enthusiasm, motivation, and consistency.

Day 17 - Pretty okay.  I woke up and got going a little earlier than usual, but my brain completely checked out in the afternoon.  I was conscientious of my eating during the day, and I'm finding that cutting sodas means increasing my water intake which in turn means curbing some of my hunger signals.  It also means peeing every 30 minutes, which is rough on my gaming schedule. ;)

I got my hair cut on the way home, then I downloaded some workshop training maps for Rocket League and tried them out before dinner.  The Minions thought it was particularly hilarious watching me fumble through the aerial obstacle course.  MFG made chicken and rice casserole with broccoli on the side, and I ate a very sensible portion.  We loaded Iron Man 3 in the player for family movie night during which I yielded to some snacks (popcorn, lemon Oreo thins [not Oreo's, but still tasty], crackers with cream cheese and pecans, then finally a PB&J sandwich) that probably balanced out my earlier conscientiousness.  When the movie was over I played a few matches of RL, then MFG and I headed upstairs for bed.  Sleep was a bit later than I wanted, and I overshot this morning slightly because of it.  Still not too shabby.

Today should be a good one.  I've got some lighter eating planned during the day since the guys from my small group are getting together for poker tonight, and there's bound to be snacks aplenty.

• Like 5