A healer emerges from the south

Hey Rebels,

I just joined the rebellion on Monday. So, I am still in the phase of thinking "this is going to be awesome." I sure hope it is.

Here is my intro post.

History – 
48 yrs old. Happily Married. Two kids, 5 & 11. Life Groups Pastor at Compassion Christian Church. Retired Navy Chief.

I have struggled with my weight for as long as I can remember, even in the Navy. When I was initiated, oops I mean "trained", as a Chief, I had gotten in pretty good shape. I began to love running, I even ran two half marathons but then injured myself training for a full, recovered and then injured myself again the next year. After retiring from the Navy, I have gained about 50 lbs of fat in the last 2.5 years and lost any muscle I had in the Navy. I haven’t run in 2 years. I have chronic back & knee pain that has been a convenient excuse for being lazy and unmotivated. The pain is real, but I have used it to keep my butt firmly planted on the couch. I am good at starting things and suck at finishing things.

Goals – 
Lose weight. I would like to weigh under 200 lbs.
Build enough muscle to look good naked.
Avoid injury by pushing too hard, too fast.
Change my future.

I am looking forward to the journey with y’all.

• Like 2

I know I did good for a bit then let things slide. Use us to your advantage whether it be to keep your word or as a support group or whatever you need to keep you moving in the right, ahem I mean fitness direction. I also saw that you are a pastor. Get with God and pray for Him to give you the desire to be healthy and fit. Are bodies are gifts from Him and He wants us to be good stewards of the gifts He has given us. I hope this helps. Let us know how you are doing and how we can encourage you.

• Like 1

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time. Thomas A. Edison

Welcome to NF :)

I found it to be a very special place, where we concentrate of taking small steps towards better health and fitness, instead of "getting insanely ripped in just 15 days" :D It's a great way to get your life on the right track. I found it very helpful, because in the past it was my curse - starting working out and dieting like a mad man, and then, after three months to half a year I was in the same place I was before I started, just tired and unmotivated. This time I fell like I'm really getting somewhere with my goals and that It's going to stick, despite the fact that there's a long journey ahead of me.

I hope you'll start to love your journey too ;)

Take care and good luck! :)

P.S. When you wrote about your injuries, it reminded me of an article written by Henry Rollins called "Iron and the Soul" - I suggest you give it a chance: https://www.nerdfitness.com/iron-and-soul/

Training logs | Monthly updates

Player stats (as of 18.06.2018):

Weight: 68.4kg (150.8 lbs)

BMI: 22.9

Muscle mass: 56.2kg  (123.9lbs, around 82% of body mass)

Body fat: 14.8%

Circumferences:

- Chest: 84cm (33 inches)

- Belly: 82.5cm (32.5 inches)

- Buttocks: 91cm (35.8 inches)

- Thigh: 52cm (20.5 inches)

- Bicep: 30cm (11.8 inches)

On 4/12/2018 at 3:14 AM, Chief Doc said:

Hey Rebels,

I just joined the rebellion on Monday. So, I am still in the phase of thinking "this is going to be awesome." I sure hope it is.

Here is my intro post.

History – 
48 yrs old. Happily Married. Two kids, 5 & 11. Life Groups Pastor at Compassion Christian Church. Retired Navy Chief.

I have struggled with my weight for as long as I can remember, even in the Navy. When I was initiated, oops I mean "trained", as a Chief, I had gotten in pretty good shape. I began to love running, I even ran two half marathons but then injured myself training for a full, recovered and then injured myself again the next year. After retiring from the Navy, I have gained about 50 lbs of fat in the last 2.5 years and lost any muscle I had in the Navy. I haven’t run in 2 years. I have chronic back & knee pain that has been a convenient excuse for being lazy and unmotivated. The pain is real, but I have used it to keep my butt firmly planted on the couch. I am good at starting things and suck at finishing things.

Goals – 
Lose weight. I would like to weigh under 200 lbs.
Build enough muscle to look good naked.
Avoid injury by pushing too hard, too fast.
Change my future.

I am looking forward to the journey with y’all.

Hello Chief Doc,

How's it coming with your fitness goals?