• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Rebel Dan

Side Planks - HELP

So, I just started the NF body weight workout plan about 2-3 weeks now. I am on the level 2. Workout B has me doing Side Planks. I am finding these extremely difficult. I can only maybe get off the ground, even with keeping my knee down for about 2-3 seconds at most. Forward planks I can do better I can hold those close to 10 seconds.

I know these side planks are not supposed to be easy. However, I feel like I am not getting any stronger at them because I can't hold the position long enough to cause muscle growth.

So, my question is... beyond just losing some weight, (I think about about 70-90 lbs over weight) , is there any workouts I could do to help me get stronger at holding a side plank?

Anything targeting the obliques. I only skimmed this article, didn't read it thoroughly but it looks like it's got some decent info. It could also be a question of proper bracing. Make sure you're keeping your core tight while doing them.

17 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Are you on your elbows or with straight arms? Being lower to the ground(on elbows instead of hands ) may help

I second what she said.

So, I just started the NF body weight workout plan about 2-3 weeks now. I am on the level 2. Workout B has me doing Side Planks. I am finding these extremely difficult. I can only maybe get off the ground, even with keeping my knee down for about 2-3 seconds at most. Forward planks I can do better I can hold those close to 10 seconds.

I know these side planks are not supposed to be easy. However, I feel like I am not getting any stronger at them because I can't hold the position long enough to cause muscle growth.

So, my question is... beyond just losing some weight, (I think about about 70-90 lbs over weight) , is there any workouts I could do to help me get stronger at holding a side plank?
Side planks can be quite challenging, so don't worry, you're not the first nor will you be the last to struggle with them.

Personally I would swap them out for regular planks. Having 2 arms on the ground will distribute the weight better and give you a stronger base. IMHO you shouldn't even try side planks until you can comfortably do standard planks for at least a minute.

Another trick I love to use when trying to build up endurance is to break it down into chunks. For example, to build up to a 1 minute plank, start with 12x5 second planks with 5 seconds in between. When that's easy, increase it to 10x6 second planks, etc. Gradually increase the hold time, and reduce the rest time. Focus on maintaining proper form, and compete against yourself, not anyone else.

Once you've mastered planks, side planks will be a thousand times easier.

Good luck!
  • Like 1