[NeverThatBored] Now Give Me That Fire

GUYS. What do you do when you've had dinner but you're still super hungry?? Because I definitely seek out cookies and that's probably not a good strategy. 

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 47

2021 challenges:  46 | 4748 (current)

2015-2020 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45 | |

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell. 

I'll have supper! :D

• Like 1

The Wolverine - Level 5 // BER  6.5 // HEA  4 // STR  4.4 // STA  3 // DEX  4 // CON  4 // WIS  4.75 // CHA  1

He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty.

Adventures don't start until you get into the forest.

Nut butter is my go to FWIW.

Also PICTURRRRRES how lovely yay!!!!  Glad you've been taking care of yourself through all the go-go-go!

• Like 1

i am not waiting for a hero.  i saved myself long ago.

Level 50 Bardic Time-Mage; of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

"Well...in the end, it boils down to two simple choices. Either you do or you don't.

You'd think with all the problems in this world, there'd be more answers. It's not fair...
...But that's the way things are. The choice is yours."

» visit me @ my BATTLE LOG~

Week 1 Friday Update

I did some walking at lunchtime, then went to Crossfit after work. I took an alternate route because of traffic, but then it was so trafficky that I kept missing turns because I couldn't get over to the exits in time, so I got there about 5 minutes late and my legs were SUPER SHAKY because stressful driving really freaks me out. I jumped into the warmup and almost immediately TRIPPED ON A BARBELL PLATE and tweaked my ankle. >.< 

I was able to do the workout anyway. It was a 25 minute AMRAP (AMRAPs are my nemesis) in a team of 3, meaning three of us alternated rounds until the end. The rounds were: 6kcal bike, 6 plate burpees, and a 100m sandbag run. We got through 6 rounds in 29 minutes (she had us finish the last round). After the first two rounds I had to modify the burpees to air squats because the jumping was hurting my ankle a bit. BUT the running was fine and my shins felt a-ok for once. 

Have I mentioned that Crossfit is the worst?? T__T

I was going to go to aikido on Saturday but decided to skip after my ankle started complaining later that night.

• Like 2

2015-2020 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45 | |

49 minutes ago, NeverThatBored said:

Have I mentioned that Crossfit is the worst?? T__T

I think that's why you keep going :D

Hope your ankle heals soon.

• Like 2

The Wolverine - Level 5 // BER  6.5 // HEA  4 // STR  4.4 // STA  3 // DEX  4 // CON  4 // WIS  4.75 // CHA  1

He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty.

Adventures don't start until you get into the forest.

24 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

The worst as in worst, or worst as in awesome?

or both?:)

• Thanks 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

Elastigirl:Luck Favors The Prepared - Current Challenge: August 1 to September 4 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

6 hours ago, NeverThatBored said:

I was going to go to aikido on Saturday but decided to skip after my ankle started complaining later that night.

That's a pitty. My last class included stick training for the first time and it was so much fun. Best wishes for your ancle. I hope it gets better soon

• Like 1

level 12 Hobbit Monk (respawned September 2016)
STR 4 | DEX 15 | CON 16 | STA 15 | WIS 33 | CHA 24 | Halfling | Newbie | Fencer and Bookworm

Introduction | Character | Daily Battle Log | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 67 | 8 | | 10 | 11 | 12# | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | #### | 17 | Current Challenge

Spoiler

I'm exercising, because I want to get my stamina and strength. I enjoy medieevil swordmanship,  Tai Chi, yoga, aikido and fire spinning. I'm also a roleplaying nerd and a book worm. Let's fight the procrastination dragon!

3 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

The worst as in worst, or worst as in awesome?

3 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

or both?:)

^ what she said.

• Like 2

On 6/1/2018 at 8:28 PM, NeverThatBored said:

GUYS. What do you do when you've had dinner but you're still super hungry?? Because I definitely seek out cookies and that's probably not a good strategy. 

Dark Chocolate with a serving of peanut (or other nut) butter. 

Make sure it's really dark chocolate though!

Ugh on the ankle! Hope it feels better soon!

On 6/2/2018 at 11:39 AM, NeverThatBored said:

I did some walking at lunchtime, then went to Crossfit after work. I took an alternate route because of traffic, but then it was so trafficky that I kept missing turns because I couldn't get over to the exits in time, so I got there about 5 minutes late and my legs were SUPER SHAKY because stressful driving really freaks me out. I jumped into the warmup and almost immediately TRIPPED ON A BARBELL PLATE and tweaked my ankle. >.< 

I feel stressed out just reading this. Hope this week is less intense. And hope your ankle gets better.

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

Week 1 Saturday/Sunday Update

Food was terrible, but I meal prepped so I should be ok for a while going into this week. I'm feeling REALLY frustrated about my weight and general fitness lately. I'm starting too develop too many aches and pains and I'm taking it as a warning sign that maybe I should do something differently. TBD.

On Saturday, I went for a run. My ankle was mostly fine as long as I was careful with how I placed my feet. I only did a mile (5K total but only 1 mile of running) again to test out how my legs are doing, and felt ok. My shins are tender now though. I think I'm going to play the old 10% distance increase game AGAIN and see how far I can go. And/or start going to my crossfit coach's running class on Sundays. I also did Elements. TBH I'm grumpy and really have to force myself to do these sessions. Part of me feels that Elements is not where I want to focus my attention, and part of me feels that it's important for me to prove to myself that I can stick to something until the end, even if it does mean another month of dragging myself through the program.

I had things planned for Sunday and ended up taking it as a rest day. The weather was awful, which put a damper on any thoughts of cycling or getting lots of walking in. 

Also! I finished reading a really interesting book called The Secret Race - about the doping scandal in professional cycling a while back. I didn't know much about it, but it's really fascinating how the culture of doping worked among elite cyclists. 

Week 2 Monday Update

I went to Crossfit after work and it was great! We did rounds of 10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 Clean + Jerks alternating with 30 double unders (which I had to modify to ball slams because my shins hurt when I jump on them). I felt like I was actually pushing it with the weight this time, which was a good feeling.

My ankle is feeling about 70% better too. 

I'm mildly worried that I have some form of exercise-induced asthma. Alternately, I might just be bad at breathing. Mid-workout, my breathing got really shallow and wheezy and I had to pause for a minute or so to get back to normal breathing. It's something that happened literally 2x/year in the past (with no obvious trigger), but it seems to happen a little more often with Crossfit.

I meant to do Elements earlier in the day, but I ended up being busy with work. I should still do it tonight, but it's getting late so we'll see. >.<

• Like 3

1 mile is a huge improvement from where you were a while back IIRC. Nice job with that.

I think a lot of people get exercise induced asthma when they’re really pushing it. It should go away as you acclimate more to CrossFit.

Or you could track the symptoms and get a scrip for salbutamol like all the I’m-not-really-doping-I-have-asthma cyclists.

• Like 3

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

1 hour ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

1 mile is a huge improvement from where you were a while back IIRC. Nice job with that.

Unfortunately, 1 mile isn't really an improvement on anything, except a few weeks back when my shins were really flaring up. I've gone from ~1/1.5 miles all the way up to about a 6K, down to the 2 mile range, up to several runs/week for a total of a few miles, down to about 1-1.5 miles a week again. I'm all over the place. >.< 

1 hour ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

I think a lot of people get exercise induced asthma when they’re really pushing it. It should go away as you acclimate more to CrossFit.

Also, thanks! That's good to know. I don't know much about it so I have no sense of how common it is. 

Sorry, There’s a lot of rangers and I lose track sometimes.

Yeah, I get it in the spring before my fitness comes. I talked to a doctor once and he said, “meh.” If yours continues or if it impairs your performance I’d go in.

• Like 1

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

2 hours ago, NeverThatBored said:

Week 1 Saturday/Sunday Update

Food was terrible, but I meal prepped so I should be ok for a while going into this week. I'm feeling REALLY frustrated about my weight and general fitness lately. I'm starting too develop too many aches and pains and I'm taking it as a warning sign that maybe I should do something differently. TBD.

On Saturday, I went for a run. My ankle was mostly fine as long as I was careful with how I placed my feet. I only did a mile (5K total but only 1 mile of running) again to test out how my legs are doing, and felt ok. My shins are tender now though. I think I'm going to play the old 10% distance increase game AGAIN and see how far I can go. And/or start going to my crossfit coach's running class on Sundays. I also did Elements. TBH I'm grumpy and really have to force myself to do these sessions. Part of me feels that Elements is not where I want to focus my attention, and part of me feels that it's important for me to prove to myself that I can stick to something until the end, even if it does mean another month of dragging myself through the program.

I had things planned for Sunday and ended up taking it as a rest day. The weather was awful, which put a damper on any thoughts of cycling or getting lots of walking in. 

Also! I finished reading a really interesting book called The Secret Race - about the doping scandal in professional cycling a while back. I didn't know much about it, but it's really fascinating how the culture of doping worked among elite cyclists. 

Week 2 Monday Update

I went to Crossfit after work and it was great! We did rounds of 10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 Clean + Jerks alternating with 30 double unders (which I had to modify to ball slams because my shins hurt when I jump on them). I felt like I was actually pushing it with the weight this time, which was a good feeling.

My ankle is feeling about 70% better too. 

I'm mildly worried that I have some form of exercise-induced asthma. Alternately, I might just be bad at breathing. Mid-workout, my breathing got really shallow and wheezy and I had to pause for a minute or so to get back to normal breathing. It's something that happened literally 2x/year in the past (with no obvious trigger), but it seems to happen a little more often with Crossfit.

I meant to do Elements earlier in the day, but I ended up being busy with work. I should still do it tonight, but it's getting late so we'll see. >.<

Yay for pushing it with the weight. Enjoy Elements if you have time, but remember not to feel guilty if you don't have the time or energy.

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

Elastigirl:Luck Favors The Prepared - Current Challenge: August 1 to September 4 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

10 hours ago, NeverThatBored said:

I also did Elements. TBH I'm grumpy and really have to force myself to do these sessions. Part of me feels that Elements is not where I want to focus my attention, and part of me feels that it's important for me to prove to myself that I can stick to something until the end, even if it does mean another month of dragging myself through the program.

Tanktimus would have something to say about consistency and the grind, I'm just here to challenge you to think which one's real. Are you indeed being lazy and grumpy or is this class really not contributing anything to your personal development?

10 hours ago, NeverThatBored said:

Haven't read it, but saw the "Icarus" documentary on the same subject. Highly recommended.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
14 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

Tanktimus would have something to say about consistency and the grind, I'm just here to challenge you to think which one's real. Are you indeed being lazy and grumpy or is this class really not contributing anything to your personal development?

TBD for now. Since it's 6 sessions/week, it's definitely not the most efficient or best use of my time towards my actual fitness goals. On the other hand, this is the second time I've come back to it and I kind of want to see where it takes me. 

• Like 1

Week 2 Tuesday Update

Walked, did Elements (and actually quite enjoyed the session compared to some of them!), and then went to Aikido. I'm battling some guilt for how much Aikido I've missed over the past month or two, even though I had lots of good reasons for it (my mom's hospital incident, vacation, etc.). I felt energetic today and actually enjoyed the class quite a bit, which was nice after being grumpy through the past few. It helped that my bf got home from work early and drove me there, shaving about 30 minutes off the travel each way. 

Food was better-ish. I had 3 healthy meals and lots of veggies. On the other hand, I had lots of unhealthy snacks because breakfast smoothies are just not filling enough. 

Plan for the week:

Wednesday: Elements, walk, startbodyweight session

Thursday: Elements active recovery day + extra mobility, walk, maybe aikido if I feel up for it

Friday: Elements, Crossfit, walk

Saturday: Elements active recovery day + extra mobility, run/walk

Sunday: Maybe elements or yoga if I can pull it off in the AM, but I'm going to a wedding so the day is pretty much shot

• Like 4

Week 2 Wednesday Update

I did the things! I really did not want to do the things, but I announced to you that I was going to do the things so I made myself do it. I walked at lunch, then did Elements and startbodyweight after work. That's not how it's SUPPOSED to work (I'm supposed to do Elements in the morning or at lunch or something) but I just cannot turn that into an early day activity so I ended up mashing them together. I'll get in more walking a little later when I get dinner with my boyfriend and his friend who's visiting from out of town.

Also - ack! Apparently this is the first time I've actually managed to do startbodyweight in about 2 months. Which I think is around the time I started crossfit? In my defense, about a month of that was taken up by vacation / my mom being in the hospital and the other weeks were scattered in between those events. But still. I think my main complaint about my current routine is that I've had so much trouble fitting startbodyweight in and my program feels off without it.

So of course now I'm over here like "once a week is not enough! I need this stuff! What if I did 2 crossfit AND 2 startbodyweight sessions/week???" and I have to whack that part of my brain with a rolled up newspaper and tell it "no - bad!"

I am actually vaguely considering playing with the idea of 4 strength sessions/week to see if it works better for me, but not until I finish Elements. I've also been daydreaming about doing more yoga lately, but not having much capacity to fit it in, so that's been lurking too. 

So while a breakfast smoothie doesn't fill me up at all, a simple 2 egg omelette this morning made me so full that I wasn't hungry at lunchtime?? I really struggle when I'm trying not to eat at designated mealtimes, so for several hours around normal lunch hour, I was just constantly going "is it time to eat yet??" "no - you're still really full - resist!" and honestly it was very distracting and involved a lot of confused wandering in and out of the kitchen. 

I also did my morning mobility / get dressed before 9 goals. I had forgotten that last one was a goal. 

• Like 3

Week 2 Thursday Update

I did Elements recovery day / extra mobility work. I didn't go to aikido because I've last-minute ended up volunteering to help run the polls at the VA primary next week, and they had training for it tonight. I walked to the training place and got some walking in that way, but probably less than I would have gotten if I'd done a full walk. 

I'm only at about 8.5 miles walked for the week. At minimum, I'd like to get in another 4 this week. Ideally, I'd get at least 8.

I keep stalling on the nutrition program, but not because I'm not working on it. This week, the main struggle has been having a protein with lunch. I've been having tasty salads but I don't actually have any protein to add to them. And the idea of dumping a can of tuna on them kind of grosses me out. 

• Like 1