University

Here's the deal, I'm at university and in catered accommodation, so I get breakfast and tea (evening meal) as part and parcel. I'm also poor as most students. I love the idea of the palaeo-diet, but the problem with this is that I don't like nuts, salad, many vegetables or fish not to mention that they can be quite expensive. How can I overcome my dislike of these food types? And what can people recommend as paleo-ish foods that will get me from breakfast to tea with dying of hunger?

oh man... tough love.

you can learn to eat anything. i would say you can even learn to enjoy it and like it. just make the choice. neural plasticity, you know? find the stuff you do like and expand from there, but seriously you can learn to like it.

to quote the 40-year-old virgin:

"What feels right hasn't worked for you. It's time to try some WRONG, dog."

Unsweetened whipping cream, I should add. Also, whole milk or half and half. Mmmm, dairy fats...

Jerky is the worlds best snack food, best if you can get reasonably natural stuff.

I second the "get used to it" message. You don't like them because you're not used to natural foods. Your taste buds are messed up. Straighten them out.

Here's the deal, I'm at university and in catered accommodation, so I get breakfast and tea (evening meal) as part and parcel. I'm also poor as most students. I love the idea of the palaeo-diet, but the problem with this is that I don't like nuts, salad, many vegetables or fish not to mention that they can be quite expensive. How can I overcome my dislike of these food types? And what can people recommend as paleo-ish foods that will get me from breakfast to tea with dying of hunger?

what's your goal going paleo? vegetables are a huge part of any healthy diet. i'd try to get used to them. :)

My goal is to simply be able to eat and enjoy paleo foods as part of living a healthier lifestyle and losing some weight; I've spent years eating junk food and it's sort of in my system now :P Fortunately I love eating fruit which is a start and I'm getting better at eating vegetables as well :)

I have to say by experience. Mix what you don't like with something you like.

I am not very fond of most vegetables either, but I usually mix it wit eggs... I know you already mentioned hating eggs, but have you tried them scrambled??? It's the best food-I-don't-like-delivery-method i've ever tried...

Apart from that, I use a lot of spíces and olive oil to make salads interesting. =)

There are a lot of pepper kinds to try... each has its own smell and flavour if you try'em. just make sure you can still sense ANY flavor after trying a new kind.... =D

Another thing about eggs. I used to hate 'em, now they're one of my favorite things. I started eating them when I was in a similar situation. Just after college and no job. (so no money ;_; ) I had to maximize my budget at the store. I got a lot of salads and eggs and chicken, and when I could afford it, bacon. Bake the chicken and you can put it on your salad all week. One of the ways I started eating eggs was a sort of breakfast bagel sandwich. Bagel halves, mustard, bacon, fried egg, cheese (hot sauce makes this delicious also!). Or toast some bread and make an open-faced sandwich with ham. I also think scrambled eggs can be quite tasty if you add a lot of other stuff. Garlic, peppers, onions, etc... Or the lazy man's omelet. Cheese, peppers, onions, salt, pepper, put on one side of an egg in a pan, and fold it in half.

Ya Flytch i feel for you on the student budget. I have to say, eggs with hot sauce or if your not a fan of spicy use ketchup. You said you love fruit so that may be a good way to get to other foods. one thing i hate to eat but i have to for my stomach is yogurt, if i take fruit and dip it in yogurt i can get a cup of yogurt down easily. trying finding ways to ease into things with foods you like. If you like bacon try mixing bacon pieces in with your eggs. Tenkuu said it great:)

Also if you can boil water where your staying you can try this, the worlds easiest omelet recipe:

boil some water in a somewhat deep pot

Take 2 eggs and whip them till they are evenly colored

take what you want in you omelet and pour it into the eggs (bacon, onion greens, tomatoes, ect.)

pour that mixture into a ziplock baggie and seal the baggie TIGHT

drop the whole thing into the boiling water and it will rise to the top

let it cook for about 5 min, flipping it from time to time so it cooks on each side

At the end, open the baggie and you have an omelet.

I learned that a few years ago while camping. It great for large groups cause you can fill of up a large container with baggies and everyone has an omelet in 5 min.