Even Health Coaches Need Quests Part 2

kristenks

This is my 2nd challenge. I just wrapped up my first. I'm a certified health coach who let my own fitness slip. (shameface)  I just got a new job as an (online) weight loss coach and need to do a better job of taking my own fracking advice. All my profile pics are almost 4 years old. I had set a goal of being my fittest ever at age 40 and got in amazing shape for my birthday so rewarded myself with a photo shoot...  

Shortly after that life got extra stressful and I ate and ate... 

Now I want my clothes to fit right!! I have a goal dress I'd like to wear CONFIDENTLY for either Mother's Day or Memorial Day. 

Quest 1. Lean Out 

1. Workouts
    1. Superheroine Fitness 3-4x weekly 
    2. Walk my Boston Terrier Spenser 5x weekly
    3. Yoga 1x weekly
  2. Nutrition
    1. Log my food. 
    2. Stay within my calorie budget of 1600 per day and/or my macro split unless it's a designated cheat meal/day! 
    3. From Friday 5pm - Sunday 10pm is not a designated cheat meal!!! 
  3. Sleep at least 7 hours per night with an average of 7.5.
  4. Encourage Family Fitness. 
    1. Plan healthy meals for all, not just me. 
    2. Plan one family healthy activity per week. (nature walk, beach day etc)

Quest 2. Finish my Personal Training Certification

1. Schedule a time 2x per week to complete coursework. 
  2. Actual do coursework during that time! 
  3. Schedule exam. 
  4. Study!!! 

• Like 6

That's a great goal list. I especially like "Encourage Family Fitness." I used to put on a "dance exercise" video and the kids would naturally drop their tablets/games and do it with me, without even having to ask. This summer I was hoping to start a tradition of going for a short 15m walk around the block after dinner, but I'm not sure if they'll go for it.

Good luck with the studying! I would schedule the exam first -- for me, everything starts to kick into gear when I have a real deadline to focus on.

• Like 3

Seconded on the deadlines and dance exercise, except if you have young kids, an impromptu dance party can be a fun way to go. Holler at the top of your lungs! Sing along and dance like the club can't handle you! Have fun with it! Especially younger kids really like to sing and dance, so it's easy to get them moving without making a big deal about it, and you can fit a dance party into making dinner, a break from homework, unpacking groceries, all kinds of times. 

Your goals look great and it sounds like you definitely know what to do, but is there anything we can do here to help make sure you do it? Let us know and take advantage of the community! Good luck! 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, whatthefork said:

That's a great goal list. I especially like "Encourage Family Fitness." I used to put on a "dance exercise" video and the kids would naturally drop their tablets/games and do it with me, without even having to ask. This summer I was hoping to start a tradition of going for a short 15m walk around the block after dinner, but I'm not sure if they'll go for it.

Good luck with the studying! I would schedule the exam first -- for me, everything starts to kick into gear when I have a real deadline to focus on.

Thanks! Normally I think I'd do that with tests but not 2 weeks into a new gig...

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

Seconded on the deadlines and dance exercise, except if you have young kids, an impromptu dance party can be a fun way to go. Holler at the top of your lungs! Sing along and dance like the club can't handle you! Have fun with it! Especially younger kids really like to sing and dance, so it's easy to get them moving without making a big deal about it, and you can fit a dance party into making dinner, a break from homework, unpacking groceries, all kinds of times. 

Your goals look great and it sounds like you definitely know what to do, but is there anything we can do here to help make sure you do it? Let us know and take advantage of the community! Good luck! 

Thanks!! Sadly with a middle schooler getting the random dance party vibe can get a bit trickier... some days it works, others it just gets ya a lame mom look. But in her sports off season she goes to the gym with me, which is a lot of fun! 

• Like 2

Good luck on your second challenge. I usually seem to slip up on follow-up challenges, so I hope you will do a better job. Your goals are well defined and I'm looking forward to hearing about your progress. See you :)

• Like 1

Iceburner

Lvl. 7 Human, (Lvl. 5 Assassin, Lvl. 2 Rebel)

STR: 13.25 ~ DEX: 6.5 ~STA: 14.25 ~ CON: 9 ~ WIS: 15 ~ CHA: 10

Current Quest: #9 - Finding the balance in mind and body

Battle Log

Finished Quest (challenge): #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #7, #8

Aborted Quest (challenge): #6

"Kaizen!!!" 

weight loss goal (92kg -> 87kg): |----------------------->| (currently 86.3)

waist loss goal (109cm -> 94cm): |--------->____________| (currently 103)

pull-ups (0 -> 10): |->____________________| (currently 0)

push-ups (0 -> 50): |------>_______________| (currently 12)

On 4/16/2018 at 5:11 PM, kristenks said:

Week One Honest Checkin

Quest 1. Lean Out 

1. Workouts
    1. Superheroine Fitness 3-4x weekly 3x so achieved (4 if I count yesterday but then I can't count it for the next checkin)
    2. Walk my Boston Terrier Spenser 5x weekly 4x I had to drive my husband to get his car fixed one day
    3. Yoga 1x weekly Nope
  2. Nutrition
    1. Log my food. Most days
    2. Stay within my calorie budget of 1600 per day and/or my macro split unless it's a designated cheat meal/day! Most days, more later
    3. From Friday 5pm - Sunday 10pm is not a designated cheat meal!!! Epic Fail... And then some. Thursday night pizza, Friday night ate well. Saturday ate cookies all day then went to a beer fest. Treated resulting awesomeness Sunday with carbs all day. 
  3. Sleep at least 7 hours per night with an average of 7.5. Success!! 
    1. Plan healthy meals for all, not just me. Yes! Except the random pizza night. 
    2. Plan one family healthy activity per week. (nature walk, beach day etc) I feel like I'm setting myself up with this one until sports season ends. Off days from practice and games are not when my kid wants to do anything active with me. And I can't really complain. 

Quest 2. Finish my Personal Training Certification Nothing. 

1. Schedule a time 2x per week to complete coursework. 
  3. Schedule exam. 
  4. Study!!! 

Well, it's a start. This weekend is really going to be up to me. My husband's friend is flying in to visit from Thurs night to Mon and they have guy stuff planned all weekend. So all choices will fully be mine, I can't blame anyone else for suggesting/enabling pizza or takeout or whatever. 

• Like 1
15 hours ago, kristenks said:

So yesterday was a huge fail. Migraine day and spent the entire day milking it. Ate my weight in sugar and carbs while laying on the couch. 

I can't control that migraines make me crave sugar and carbs. I can control how much I give in to it. 

:(

Well, it just can get better today. Just start the day being awesome :)

And please tell me that it worked! ;)

Iceburner

Lvl. 7 Human, (Lvl. 5 Assassin, Lvl. 2 Rebel)

STR: 13.25 ~ DEX: 6.5 ~STA: 14.25 ~ CON: 9 ~ WIS: 15 ~ CHA: 10

Current Quest: #9 - Finding the balance in mind and body

Battle Log

Finished Quest (challenge): #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #7, #8

Aborted Quest (challenge): #6

"Kaizen!!!" 

weight loss goal (92kg -> 87kg): |----------------------->| (currently 86.3)

waist loss goal (109cm -> 94cm): |--------->____________| (currently 103)

pull-ups (0 -> 10): |->____________________| (currently 0)

push-ups (0 -> 50): |------>_______________| (currently 12)

Week 2 Check in

Quest 1. Lean Out 

1. Workouts
    1. Superheroine Fitness 3-4x weekly Done- I even got 2 workouts of Level 3 done and I have always fizzled out at level 3. 
    2. Walk my Boston Terrier Spenser 5x weekly I think it was more like 3 or 4 between a migraine day and a rainy day. 
    3. Yoga 1x weekly Success! And it was awesome. Exactly what I needed. And I realized that I can totally get to the 9:15 Sunday class. 
  2. Nutrition
    1. Log my food. Meh, some days. 
    2. Stay within my calorie budget of 1600 per day and/or my macro split unless it's a designated cheat meal/day! This was not a good week. Pre-shark week ladies and I had that migraine day. 
    3. From Friday 5pm - Sunday 10pm is not a designated cheat meal!!! Success! I even turned down cupcakes at a baby shower!! I wanted to go to the gym after and didn't want to feel sick. 
  3. Sleep at least 7 hours per night with an average of 7.5. Three days under 7. One was insomnia so out of my control. Two were just not getting to bed on time. 
    1. Plan healthy meals for all, not just me. Success! Even with a guest I planned grilled chicken, steak etc. 
    2. Plan one family healthy activity per week. (nature walk, beach day etc)   Officially tabled until after softball season. 

Quest 2. Finish my Personal Training Certification Nope. Will work on this this week. 

1. Schedule a time 2x per week to complete coursework. Tuesday and Thursday afternoon breaks. 
  3. Schedule exam. 
  4. Study!!! 

• Like 1
On 4/16/2018 at 11:44 PM, whatthefork said:

Ive noticed this, my wife will come over, and start doing yoga stuff when I get going on my BWW's for the night. Seeing me is helping her, and when she gets started with me, it helps me. :)

Oh, and food for thought... Do your "family walk" 15 minutes BEFORE dinner instead of after - nobody eats till they walk first! lol I find it easier to workout before I eat rather than after.

1 hour ago, Rebel Dan said:

Ive noticed this, my wife will come over, and start doing yoga stuff when I get going on my BWW's for the night. Seeing me is helping her, and when she gets started with me, it helps me. :)

Oh, and food for thought... Do your "family walk" 15 minutes BEFORE dinner instead of after - nobody eats till they walk first! lol I find it easier to workout before I eat rather than after.

These are all great ideas! I did have to give myself some grace and drop that goal for now. On non softball nights  i get home from the gym, start dinner, and shower while it cooks. After dinner it's time to get ready for bed. On softball nights she eats half dinner while doing homework then the other half after her game before showering and getting to bed. Saturday's are softball and Sundays I got hit with a lot of resistance from both her and my husband. Once softball season is over.. it's back on!

Week Three Checkin

Quest 1. Lean Out 

1. Workouts
    1. Superheroine Fitness 3-4x weekly Done. Three workouts and feeling good. 
    2. Walk my Boston Terrier Spenser 5x weekly. Success. I even took him for a quick walk on Sunday thinking I had a makeup to do but I don't actually think I did. 
    3. Yoga 1x weekly Nope. 
  2. Nutrition
    1. Log my food. Pretty Good
    2. Stay within my calorie budget of 1600 per day and/or my macro split unless it's a designated cheat meal/day! Improving. 
    3. From Friday 5pm - Sunday 10pm is not a designated cheat meal!!! Improving! 
  3. Sleep at least 7 hours per night with an average of 7.5. Last week kinda sucked. Thus the no yoga. I chose sleep on the weekend instead. 
  4.  Encourage Family Fitness. 
    1. Plan healthy meals for all, not just me. Success. 
    2. Plan one family healthy activity per week. (nature walk, beach day etc) Tabled until after softball season. We went and saw  Avengers Infinity War and ate candy instead. I don't feel bad at all though. She played softball in the sun for 3 hours the day before. 

Quest 2. Finish my Personal Training Certification

1. Schedule a time 2x per week to complete coursework. Nothing. 
  3. Schedule exam. 
  4. Study!!! 

I have now been at my new job for over a month so I've got the workout part of the new schedule down. I've just got to make time to study. Softball season will be over very soon, hopefully then I can find more time/juggle some things. Of course, shortly after that school will be over. That will be time for some new challenges indeed!! 

• Like 1

oooh! i am so curious about your personal training certificate! it's something i'd like to do someday! which licensing body are you going through?

Daily Battle Log, Sweat like an Orc, Live like a Hobbit, and Look like an Elf

Current Challenge: Plague

“As the Wheel of Time turns, places wear many names. Men wear many names, many faces. Different faces, but always the same man. Yet no one knows the Great Pattern the Wheel weaves, or even the Pattern of an Age. We can only watch, and study, and hope.”  Robert Jordan, The Eye of the World

On 5/14/2018 at 12:11 PM, ladyofthebog said:

oooh! i am so curious about your personal training certificate! it's something i'd like to do someday! which licensing body are you going through?

I'm going through ACE. Sticking with the same as my Health Coach cert. You should definitely go for it!!

• Like 1