No registered users viewing this page.

zeroh13

Zeroh's Challenge

Eat when you are hungry.

Stop eating when you are full.

Drink when you are thirsty. 

Fill your bottle when it is empty.

Train your body. Push yourself.

Reconcile your mind. Make peace with yourself.

Become Stronger.

Rewards:

- A print from this artist: http://lucky978.storenvy.com/

- A book from this poet: https://www.instagram.com/nikita_gill/

- Rainbow fluorite

Grading:

These are more or less daily goals. 20 or more days passing the goal earns me a reward. (I'm starting this challenge during zero week.)

Note:

These goals are fairly amorphous. With my new job, I don't have the time or energy for the more traditional SMART goals. But I need to have something if I don't want to stagnate. Or sink. Sinking is bad too. Apparently, I got myself lost in a foggy swamp when I disappeared last challenge. And I have a good (bad?) feeling that I don't want to be out here after the sun goes down.

• Like 8

Good luck! I think your goals are fine to start with. "Stop eating when you are full" is going to be hard -- I've read that your brain doesn't send strong signals about full-ness until about 30m after you're really full. I trick my brain by drinking a tall glass of water before I start every meal, to give my brain a head start on that timer.

Good luck!  Try posting here every day to tell us if you've succeeded on your goals. If you know you're going to have to write about it, it might help keep it in mind when sitting down at a meal or staring at an empty water bottle.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, whatthefork said:

Good luck! I think your goals are fine to start with. "Stop eating when you are full" is going to be hard -- I've read that your brain doesn't send strong signals about full-ness until about 30m after you're really full. I trick my brain by drinking a tall glass of water before I start every meal, to give my brain a head start on that timer.

Good luck!  Try posting here every day to tell us if you've succeeded on your goals. If you know you're going to have to write about it, it might help keep it in mind when sitting down at a meal or staring at an empty water bottle.

Thanks. :)

The stopping when you are full (and eating while hungry) is part of this concept that's catching on around NF called "Intuitive Eating" (from a book with that name).  One of the things proposed in that book is to pause periodically when you are eating and check in with yourself. Are you enjoying what you're eating? How hungry are you? So you aren't relying on strong signals telling you to "hey, I'm stuffed!" before you stop. Really it's better to look at it as "stop eating when you are no longer hungry."

The key is to eat slowly without multitasking. It's important to drink something while you are eating (which also slows down how fast you eat). Another good tip is to put down your fork or whatever while you are chewing. How much you put on your plate, and how full your plate looks, also plays a huge part in how much you think you should eat. So does being okay with not eating everything on your plate and not taking seconds or "topping off" (unless you are still hungry), which becomes harder when you eat with others. Part of the problem with many people who overeat is that (for various reasons) they've become accustomed to ignoring those fullness signals. The more you eat intuitively, the easier it becomes to hear the signals your body sends you.

For me personally, tricking my body into thinking it's full is a behavior that I need to stay away from, regardless of my intentions. Because I risk taking it to the extreme and encouraging disordered eating behaviors. Right now, eating when I'm hungry is the much harder half of that goal.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, zeroh13 said:

Right now, eating when I'm hungry is the much harder half of that goal.

Interesting. Sounds like a good plan for you. For me it's the opposite. I'm good at controlling when I eat, and I trained myself to (mostly) avoid mistaking thirst for hunger. Instead, it's when I decide to eat that the problem starts. Once I start, I lose track and don't stop soon enough. Not multi-tasking sounds good in theory, but with a household of kids it's rare that I'm not busy pouring someone another glass or juice, cleaning a mess, getting up to replace a fork that fell on the floor, etc. Drinking a tall glass of water before the meal helps me to get a stronger, earlier signal when I'm full to cut through the noise.

• Like 3

Here and following! Sorry to hear about the foggy swamp situation, but I think your goals are perfectly actionable and reasonable for where you're at. SMART goals are fantastic and definitely serve their purpose but at a certain point some people are definitely able to say, "I know myself and what kind of leeway I'll take and I'm doing this my way this time!" So I say, if your goals look right to you, with your amount of experience, go for it! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, whatthefork said:

Interesting. Sounds like a good plan for you. For me it's the opposite. I'm good at controlling when I eat, and I trained myself to (mostly) avoid mistaking thirst for hunger. Instead, it's when I decide to eat that the problem starts. Once I start, I lose track and don't stop soon enough. Not multi-tasking sounds good in theory, but with a household of kids it's rare that I'm not busy pouring someone another glass or juice, cleaning a mess, getting up to replace a fork that fell on the floor, etc. Drinking a tall glass of water before the meal helps me to get a stronger, earlier signal when I'm full to cut through the noise.

It's not feasible now, but later on you can work towards minimizing multitasking. One day the kids will be old enough to fill their own glasses and clean up their own messes. Then you can focus more on you. :)

• Like 2

Oo, this is like the Tao Te Ching of challenges.  I like. 

And WOW I love those prints!!!!! I can't decide which one I like best, the colors are amazing!!

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

Here and following! Sorry to hear about the foggy swamp situation, but I think your goals are perfectly actionable and reasonable for where you're at. SMART goals are fantastic and definitely serve their purpose but at a certain point some people are definitely able to say, "I know myself and what kind of leeway I'll take and I'm doing this my way this time!" So I say, if your goals look right to you, with your amount of experience, go for it! 

Honestly, I don't know if they will work or not. In the end, it comes down to motivation and discipline. And I've been losing both of those battles.

5 hours ago, shaar said:

Oo, this is like the Tao Te Ching of challenges.  I like. 

It does have a simple yet deep/meaningful poetic element. :)

5 hours ago, shaar said:

And WOW I love those prints!!!!! I can't decide which one I like best, the colors are amazing!!

I know! It's a pretty memorible style too!

• Like 2

Let us slush our way out of this swamp together! And discipline is stupid difficult to take and keep, but let's just keep working at it :P Small steps everyday, and we should avoid falling into the Pit of Despair.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, zeroh13 said:

Honestly, I don't know if they will work or not. In the end, it comes down to motivation and discipline. And I've been losing both of those battles.

Discipline is a really tough one for me, too. That's why I'm trying to adjust my environment to make achieving my goals more natural and less of a battle. Right now, there are some environmental changes I'm making just because that's How Things Are Done here, so I can't help but change my ways. But many are things I would have chosen for myself if I was living on my own in the States, like purchasing smaller plates to help me serve myself less. I know that's not your problem at all, but there might be ways you can adjust your surroundings to make it easier to get what you want. 

Good luck! I'm rooting for you, Zeroh! 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Rainelf said:

I agree - always good to get out of the swamp before dark.......

Good luck with your quest

Thanks!

7 hours ago, IAmInfinite said:

Let us slush our way out of this swamp together! And discipline is stupid difficult to take and keep, but let's just keep working at it :P Small steps everyday, and we should avoid falling into the Pit of Despair.

Discipline is a skill. So, theoretically, if we keep working at it, it'll get easier to use and hold on to. Small steps away from the Pit. ;)

7 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

Following again. Although I sometimes do a terrible job of keeping up :) 

I think everyone does a terrible job of keeping up sometimes. :P

6 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

Discipline is a really tough one for me, too. That's why I'm trying to adjust my environment to make achieving my goals more natural and less of a battle. Right now, there are some environmental changes I'm making just because that's How Things Are Done here, so I can't help but change my ways. But many are things I would have chosen for myself if I was living on my own in the States, like purchasing smaller plates to help me serve myself less. I know that's not your problem at all, but there might be ways you can adjust your surroundings to make it easier to get what you want. 

Good luck! I'm rooting for you, Zeroh! 

Living in an apartment that's not a complete dump would probably help me. (And small plates are great.) 

• Like 3

On 4/16/2018 at 11:01 PM, zeroh13 said:

These are more or less daily goals. 20 or more days passing the goal earns me a reward. (I'm starting this challenge during zero week.)

I was thinking that you should re-brand it as Zeroh Week!

On 4/17/2018 at 4:57 PM, zeroh13 said:

Maybe more that you're still fighting them ;-)

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Xena said:

I was thinking that you should re-brand it as Zeroh Week!

7 hours ago, IAmInfinite said:

BEST. YES. DO IT.

I'm not sure I could live up to the HYPE! XD

• Like 4

On 4/17/2018 at 5:01 AM, zeroh13 said:

Note:

These goals are fairly amorphous. With my new job, I don't have the time or energy for the more traditional SMART goals. But I need to have something if I don't want to stagnate. Or sink. Sinking is bad too. Apparently, I got myself lost in a foggy swamp when I disappeared last challenge. And I have a good (bad?) feeling that I don't want to be out here after the sun goes down.

Don't worry, zeroh, should you get lost again, we will quickly assemble a search party again. ;)

But its good that you still participate and that you try to keep it simple in order to keep some momentum going. Good luck with your new job by the way. :) 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Iceburner said:

Don't worry, zeroh, should you get lost again, we will quickly assemble a search party again. ;)

Just make sure the search party doesn't get lost in the swamp too! Then we'd need a search party for the search party.

2 hours ago, Iceburner said:

But its good that you still participate and that you try to keep it simple in order to keep some momentum going. Good luck with your new job by the way. :) 

Thanks.

I know that any momentum I have will just go in reverse if I don't keep an eye on myself. 

• Like 3

On 4/16/2018 at 11:01 PM, zeroh13 said:

Become Stronger.

Actual footage of me trying to get stronger:

anigif_sub-buzz-5347-1516818625-1.gif

On 4/17/2018 at 2:51 AM, whatthefork said:

I've read that your brain doesn't send strong signals about full-ness until about 30m after you're really full. I trick my brain by drinking a tall glass of water before I start every meal, to give my brain a head start on that timer.

Solid advice. Eating slower also helps as it gives your brain time to catch up. I am a school teacher, so I am still trying to break the habit of eating fast since I have more time at my new job to savor my food. Speaking of, this is a decent book:

savor-mindful-eating-mindful-life.jpg

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Wolfen said:

Solid advice. Eating slower also helps as it gives your brain time to catch up. I am a school teacher, so I am still trying to break the habit of eating fast since I have more time at my new job to savor my food.

I'm having the opposite problem right now. I eat really slowly and everyone here keeps asking if I don't like the food. It's delicious, I just want to savor it! But all the teachers are used to eating really fast because the kids wander into the teacher's room after about 15-20 minutes and start asking questions about the course material, so if you want to eat, you have to finish by then. I'm trying but it is really tough to change the speed at which you eat! Good luck! 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Wobbegong said:

I'm trying but it is really tough to change the speed at which you eat!

Don't change it! You're doing the right thing by savoring, and it sets a healthy example for the kids. If they ask, that's what you tell them: "I like to savor my food so my brain has time to really enjoy it and I feel full after I eat." Obesity and heart disease is becoming a legitimate problem with a lot of teachers where I live because we are often confined to our classrooms (office) and many spend most of that time at their desk. I've always been an active teacher, moving around my room, taking walks down the hall to visit colleagues, down/up stairs, around campus, but even I started gaining until I took a close look at my eating habits: high carb breakfast, lots of snacking at my desk ("breakfast" bars, Super Donuts and cookies), scarfing down my lunch instead of eating slowly and mindfully, and then feeling hungry and snacking again in the afternoon. I consider the greatest change to be mindful eating, slowing down to think before, during, and after eating to allow your brain to really process 1) if you're actually hungry, 2) if what you are about to eat is what your body needs, 3) if what you're eating is satisfying/nourishing, 4) when your body has had enough of it, 5) how your body is going to process it.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Wolfen said:

Don't change it! You're doing the right thing by savoring, and it sets a healthy example for the kids. If they ask, that's what you tell them: "I like to savor my food so my brain has time to really enjoy it and I feel full after I eat." Obesity and heart disease is becoming a legitimate problem with a lot of teachers where I live because we are often confined to our classrooms (office) and many spend most of that time at their desk. I've always been an active teacher, moving around my room, taking walks down the hall to visit colleagues, down/up stairs, around campus, but even I started gaining until I took a close look at my eating habits: high carb breakfast, lots of snacking at my desk ("breakfast" bars, Super Donuts and cookies), scarfing down my lunch instead of eating slowly and mindfully, and then feeling hungry and snacking again in the afternoon. I consider the greatest change to be mindful eating, slowing down to think before, during, and after eating to allow your brain to really process 1) if you're actually hungry, 2) if what you are about to eat is what your body needs, 3) if what you're eating is satisfying/nourishing, 4) when your body has had enough of it, 5) how your body is going to process it.

Hmm. People do seem pretty accommodating of the pace at which I eat, and it usually isn't a problem if I eat in the teachers lounge, but when I eat with the students some of them feel obligated to wait around with me. They like to finish quickly so they can go run around with the rest of their lunch break, so while of course I'm happy if they want to hang out with me, I feel bad holding them back. Unlike me, they have to sit through the entire class period, so I'm sure they want to move around when they get the chance. (I get to stand and tend to pace at the front of the room or wander through the rows of desks, so I don't mind sitting leisurely while I eat.) 

The food culture is so different here than it is in the States that I really don't have to worry about the quality of ingredients or the nutritional content of the meals I eat. As long as I try to match the locals, I'm pretty much in the clear. Regarding 1, the rules in place around snacking between meals at school mean I am usually hungry at meal times, but I try to eat enough at each meal that I can make it to the next one without trouble. After that, number 4 can be a problem sometimes because school meals are pre-portioned, and you are expected to eat everything you are served. But I can always eat less at dinner if I ate too much at lunch, so hopefully it balances out overall -- and teachers get the same meals as students, so at most I'm getting what's considered a "junior high student portion." (On elementary school days the portions are perfect.) 

I definitely take your point, and I honestly really appreciate being told not to try to conform on this point. It's nice to have a vote of confidence! But it's also really awkward when I'm the last person still eating and all of the lunch trays have been cleared already and I'm causing trouble with my mess. Maybe if I can just eat faster at JHS lunch, I can keep eating slowly at breakfast and dinner, and be ok. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Wolfen said:

Solid advice. Eating slower also helps as it gives your brain time to catch up. I am a school teacher, so I am still trying to break the habit of eating fast since I have more time at my new job to savor my food. Speaking of, this is a decent book:

savor-mindful-eating-mindful-life.jpg

At my new job, most days taking a real break to sit down and eat is a luxury. But I can control how fast I eat when I'm not working. I just need to work on being aware if it. I grew up eating too fast, and with having dinner time double as TV time. So those habits are going to take quite awhile to unlearn. (My library has that book, so I put a hold on it and should be able to get it in a few days. Mindfulness is great, though reading about it tends to be hit or miss for me. It'll be interesting to see how this book handles the topic.)

1 hour ago, Wobbegong said:

Hmm. People do seem pretty accommodating of the pace at which I eat, and it usually isn't a problem if I eat in the teachers lounge, but when I eat with the students some of them feel obligated to wait around with me. They like to finish quickly so they can go run around with the rest of their lunch break, so while of course I'm happy if they want to hang out with me, I feel bad holding them back. Unlike me, they have to sit through the entire class period, so I'm sure they want to move around when they get the chance. (I get to stand and tend to pace at the front of the room or wander through the rows of desks, so I don't mind sitting leisurely while I eat.) 

Try giving them permission to run around after they're done eating, instead of waiting for you to finish.

• Like 3

And home from work at 1:30am. Long day, late night #1 out of #waytoomany.

I did get myself some actual food at work today, so big improvement there. And I found a place to stash my water bottle so I was mostly able to avoid dehydration. 

Right now, the goal I'm struggling with is training my mind and body. Those are things I need to get in the habit of working on in the morning. Though with the week I have coming up, I doubt I'll have time in the morning.* Cause I still need my sleep and that's a bit more important. But when I'm working, I'm constantly on my feet and trying not to stab anyone. So maybe some days just getting through the day can count.

*Ten days in a row with 10 to 12 hour shifts. And if everything goes wrong during a shift, well I can't leave until all the people I'm supervising can leave because I have to close. Even if that turns it into a 16+ hour shift for me.

• Like 3

Real quick before I forget, and cause I didn't set up a tracker...

Goal 1: W, F, Sa (total 3 points)

Goal 2: W, F, Sa (total 3 points)

Goal 3: W (total 1 point)

• Like 2