Snarky makes 5 mistakes a day

Snarkyfishguts

When people talk about stress management, I get this image in my head of a man or woman sitting in a bar after work, her suit jacket draped on the chair and sleeves rolled up as he says confidently "I manage the stress department. Those guys are killing it!" and takes a confident swig from their glass of whiskey, neat.

I don't like whiskey, and I look terrible in suits. :)

Stress is significantly impacting my well-being. Last night I was awake for 4 hours. I have panic attacks, and while I'm usually a stress eater, lately, I've lost my appetite, and feel too upset to eat.  I really need to work out some self-care stuff while life is pretty stressful. My dad is getting blinder every week it seems, my parents are talking about moving in a year, and I need to find a new job, a house, and try to lose 100+ pounds so I live long enough to enjoy those things. The future is uncertain, and I'm ill-equipped to manage on a daily basis. This is my challenge: To live life with all its messiness without losing my mind. :)  Because it's not going to get better for a while, so I need to create mental and emotional space and tell the little screaming person in my head that things are going to be okay.

1. Develop a bedtime routine. I don't have any routine before bedtime, and I often go to bed feeling like the day is incomplete, which wakes me up in the middle of the night. I think a consistent routine would help cue my body into "go to sleep, dammit" and I can stay asleep if I'm falling asleep more contentedly.

2. Make 5 mistakes a day- This is more of a mindset goal. When I'm working at the library, mistakes are okay, and I joke to volunteers and co-workers that the day isn't complete until I've made at least 5 mistakes. I say this to comfort them when they make mistakes, or if I'm having an off day. I'm just going to keep embracing this until it sinks in. :)

3. Meditate- Taking some time to sit in a quiet space, and being able to say "For the next ten minutes, I have nothing to do, nowhere to go. This is my time to just be."

4. Plan my day and stick to it.  I really like the planning set up I had started last challenge of Fitness, Hobbies, Life Chores, and Work. But I often let Fitness and Work slide down the tubes and focused on hobbies and life chores. Which is funny because if you look at my bedroom, you'd never know I clean.....ever.

• Like 6

Here!  I think you should get bonus points for extra mistakes - like bonus meditation minutes.  :) 

• Like 2

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero

Level: 19 Ranger | STR 36 | DEX 29 | STA  35 | CON  43 | WIS 35 | CHA 23|

Spoiler

Epic Quest Avatar Lifting profile | D&D Character Sheet

Accountibillibuddies: Doodlies setting the world alight

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Current Challenge: Shello Finally Fitnesses (sort of) and does some other things

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Starting weight = 290.4; Current weight = 269; Total pounds lost: 21.4

3 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

YAY! You're here!  I've already made several mistakes today. I'm pretty excited :D 

Awesome attitude! :D 

Following again. 

• Like 1

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 46

2021 challenges:  46 (current)

2015-2020 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell. 

5 hours ago, NeverThatBored said:

Awesome attitude! :D 

Following again. 

YAY! I'm so glad you're here :D 

3 hours ago, deftona said:

I am excited just thinking about all the mistake we're all going to make and just accept because Snarky is a trendsetter. 

Aw man, I am blushing SUPER DUPER lots right now.

• Like 1

I love the idea of 5 mistakes per day, I could maybe use a bit more of that mindset.

• Like 1

Level 13 Wood Elf Ranger

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Forum Posts: Current Challenge - Homemaking - 2021 Road Map - Make a House a Home

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map

Good morning everyone!

I didn't sleep a lot last night. And It's okay. I woke up on time anyway, cleaned my room, and got busy getting stuff done. I've been thinking that I definitely need to include preparing for the next day more in my evening routine. I think I would sleep better, and it would make mornings a little easier. Just small stuff I used to do, like picking out my clothes, making sure everything is charged and that everything is together. That sense of readiness would be helpful. I found myself last night not quite sure what to do with myself. :) 

Some mistakes I made yesterday:

I forgot to heat up the meat filling for my omelet before I made it so it was COLD in the middle. I had to stick it in the microwave, and then it was molten hot. 

I've misplaced my credit card somewhere. I have no idea where it is, and it's a replacement. sigh. I bet it's in the bottom of my purse, hiding from me. 

I lost my cousin's address and had to wait until today to get his address from my mom. His birthday is tomorrow, but a late birthday card is still good, right? It'll be like a bonus birthday.

I made more than that, but those are my highlights.

My meditation muscles are totally out of whack. I have no patience, and I felt like I was on time out. Which to me says it's going to be incredibly valuable practice. 

Today we have a dishwasher service man here, and a representative from the Blind Association will be checking out the home to offer accessibility suggestions for Dad. We've kind done as much as we can think of at this point, so the extra knowledge would be awesome.  I'm not sure how long all that is going to take, so I haven't planned much else today, which MIGHT BE A MISTAKE!  :D:D 

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

My meditation muscles are totally out of whack. I have no patience, and I felt like I was on time out. Which to me says it's going to be incredibly valuable practice. 

Must be contagious.  That's how I've felt the past couple of days.  I even cut one session short at 10 minutes yesterday.  Granted part of that was hearing the baby rollover and thinking that I chose a bad time.  I don't even have an excuse like not doing it for a while.  May both of us get back into our flow.

Love the 5 mistakes mindset idea!

• Like 1

Level 10 Vegetarian Vampire Warrior

STR: 16 DEX: 7 STA: 6 WIS: 46 CON: 27 CHA: 17

Intro | Challenge: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Babies rolling over is a totally valid excuse for stopping whatever you’re doing. Babies are awesome. High fives for personal growth in our meditative practices! 

4 hours ago, MaD MaLKaV said:

Must be contagious.  That's how I've felt the past couple of days.  I even cut one session short at 10 minutes yesterday.  Granted part of that was hearing the baby rollover and thinking that I chose a bad time.  I don't even have an excuse like not doing it for a while.  May both of us get back into our flow.

Love the 5 mistakes mindset idea!

Today I put the bread where the toaster goes, and tried to put the toaster where the bread goes when I realized my mistake. 

I ordered slightly spicy nachos, and regretted it halfway driving home. Oh my guts!

i thought the person Fromm the blind association was going to look around the house, so I cleaned super early today and she never left the kitchen table. She was pretty awesome though and we learned a lot. 

I made out seven cards cards to go out to publishers, and got to the mailbox TOO late!

I found my credit card, but now I can’t find my debit card. 

I washed my smooth sheets with with a fleece blanket, and now my sheets are all pilly with lint.

• Like 4

the people I love the most are deeply flawed, and yet those flaws don’t really seem to dampen my love. If anything, I love them more. 

Why do I expect myself to be perfect? When did desire for change and growth become seeking perfection?  I can love people but then I shut them out saying “you can’t love me , I’m not done perfecting myself. “

Lots to think about tonight. 

• Like 3

Good morning!

I’m not sure what I’m doing with a bedtime routine yet. I guess one will develop as long as I give myself the time for it. Do you have a bedtime routine?

Today is packed with to-do items and I’m okay with that. I keep putting off fitness, and I think I need to take a moment and remind myself Why I’m working out. 

It releases endorphins that make me feel happy. It helps release pent up stress from what I’m dealing with right now. It protects my muscles from getting used up for energy. It helps me sleep better at night. 

Today’s plan:

Fitness: Strongs and 30 minutes of cardio

Hobbies: Embroidery. Last night I wished I had sat down to finish some flowers.

Life chores: Groceries. Trash night. Dusting. Post Office

Work: read about starting an Etsy shop. Examine expenses for prints so I can charge accordingly. Draw. Send out more letters.

Oooh and staff meeting in one hour. Better get some coffee and put on non-pajama clothes. :) 

10 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

the people I love the most are deeply flawed, and yet those flaws don’t really seem to dampen my love. If anything, I love them more. 

That reminds me of something Marcus Aurelius said about nature's imperfections making items in it more delightful.

We should remark the grace and fascination that there is even in the incidentals of Nature's processes.. When a loaf of bread,. for instance,. is in the oven,. crack appear in it here and there; and these flaws,. though not intended in the baking,. have a rightness of their own,. and sharpen the appetite..

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

I’m not sure what I’m doing with a bedtime routine yet. I guess one will develop as long as I give myself the time for it. Do you have a bedtime routine?

I don't.  I go to bed at the same time (between 8:30-9:30, normally on the earlier side of that), but I don't really prepare for it.  I wouldn't mind starting.  The obvious choice is brushing my teeth.  And I could move flossing to there, or keep doing it in the AM.  I normally always read something from 7:30-8:30, so I guess I could call that part of my preparation for bed.  Technically, I always do dinner sometime 6:30-7:30, so that's practically part of my preparation.  And washing the baby before dinner is all part of my standard end of day activities.  But eating dinner doesn't fit into what I think of as a bedtime ritual.  Reading and winding down does. 

You could argue that my life is so regular most days that my routine starts when I get up.  Get up, meditate, read, floss, shower, drive to work, work 8 hours, come home and watch baby and read for an hour, read while baby is being fed, bathe baby, eat dinner, read an hour or so, go to sleep.  Lol. 

I've been thinking that I need to update my NF post at the end of day now that I have challenge items that take all day to be declared a success, but I think I'm better off updating that the next morning.  But, yeah, I guess I don't really have a bedtime routine.

I'll have to keep an eye on what great ideas you decide for your bedtime ritual and might copycat you later!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

Check all lights and locks downstairs, go upstairs and change into jammies, lay out clothes for the morning, brush teeth, floss, mouthwash (fight the eternal battle against unibrow while swishing), wash hands and face, arrange pillows and blankets, turn lights off, lie down, surf tablet until exhausted while hoping MFG will initiate power cuddles.

Unless I've stayed up too late; then it's strip, brush teeth, and flop in bed. :D

• Like 3

He has showed you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of

you but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God?

I go to bed at 10 every night because I am an old lady. My night time routine mostly consists of brushing my teeth, washing my face, toning and moisturising. (I am already in my PJs because I put them on as soon as I get home, along with removing my makeup.) I then write in my BuJo about the important stuff that happened that day, then I answer my question of the day in my five year diary and wait for TH to finish whatever he's doing (I have never noticed what he does but it takes him freaking ages whatever it is). Then we have cuddle time and a catch up about the day until one of us falls asleep mid sentence. 

10 minutes ago, DrFeelgood said:

(fight the eternal battle against unibrow)

Dude, same. 

• Like 3

The Sarcastic Computator

I have a terrible bedtime routine.  it's usually stay up too late, brush teeth, turn out the lights but turn the TV on so I have a little bit of light..., take off the PJs I've been wearing since I got home, crawl into bed and then watch more TV until I can't stay awake any longer.  

• Like 2

Spoiler

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Current Challenge: Shello Finally Fitnesses (sort of) and does some other things

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

1 hour ago, LadyShello said:

I have a terrible bedtime routine.  it's usually stay up too late, brush teeth, turn out the lights but turn the TV on so I have a little bit of light..., take off the PJs I've been wearing since I got home, crawl into bed and then watch more TV until I can't stay awake any longer.  

This is me except video games instead of TV. It worked for a while, but I keep waking up feeling like I need more time and that the day before felt unfinished. I'm going to try more grooming. Maybe that will help. I am seeing a lot of nightly grooming going on here, and not a lot of gummy bear eating.

21 minutes ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

I am seeing a lot of nightly grooming going on here, and not a lot of gummy bear eating.

I forgot to mention then that last night, when I crawled into bed (to read though instead of TV) I also had a dish of ice cream and a brownie.  ;)    Seriously though, any nightly grooming in my routine doesn't really signify bedtime for me still.  It's partly because I am still doing other things afterward, but more because it's not always at the same time.  I always try to lights out around 11-11:30 but my 'nightly routine' might start much earlier if I decide to hunker in bed and watch tv all evening rather than in a different room. I might brush my teeth and all that closer to 8 if I know I am done eating but still stay up for a few hours.. or I may put it off until 11 not ever really feeling like I am ready for bed.  

I think the key to a good night time routine is consistency and time.  For me, I think I should be doing something like shower at 8, read for an hour, brush my teeth and floss around 9.  Journal, then crawl into bed and watch a single tv show and have lights out at 10:30ish.  (Ok, ideally, I wouldn't watch TV in bed at all but I'm just being realistic.)

• Like 1

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, LadyShello said:

I forgot to mention then that last night, when I crawled into bed (to read though instead of TV) I also had a dish of ice cream and a brownie.  ;)    Seriously though, any nightly grooming in my routine doesn't really signify bedtime for me still.  It's partly because I am still doing other things afterward, but more because it's not always at the same time.  I always try to lights out around 11-11:30 but my 'nightly routine' might start much earlier if I decide to hunker in bed and watch tv all evening rather than in a different room. I might brush my teeth and all that closer to 8 if I know I am done eating but still stay up for a few hours.. or I may put it off until 11 not ever really feeling like I am ready for bed.  

I think the key to a good night time routine is consistency and time.  For me, I think I should be doing something like shower at 8, read for an hour, brush my teeth and floss around 9.  Journal, then crawl into bed and watch a single tv show and have lights out at 10:30ish.  (Ok, ideally, I wouldn't watch TV in bed at all but I'm just being realistic.)

Consistency and time. That makes sense. I think I'm just going to spend the next few days and just try to be present in the moment around bedtime, and maybe write down what feels incomplete, so I can try to resolve that the next day. I also think I might be overthinking this.  

Maybe. I'll have to think about it. :D:D:D 

We might be bedtime twins, you and I.

6 hours ago, MaD MaLKaV said:

I don't.  I go to bed at the same time (between 8:30-9:30, normally on the earlier side of that), but I don't really prepare for it.  I wouldn't mind starting.  The obvious choice is brushing my teeth.  And I could move flossing to there, or keep doing it in the AM.  I normally always read something from 7:30-8:30, so I guess I could call that part of my preparation for bed.  Technically, I always do dinner sometime 6:30-7:30, so that's practically part of my preparation.  And washing the baby before dinner is all part of my standard end of day activities.  But eating dinner doesn't fit into what I think of as a bedtime ritual.  Reading and winding down does. 

You could argue that my life is so regular most days that my routine starts when I get up.  Get up, meditate, read, floss, shower, drive to work, work 8 hours, come home and watch baby and read for an hour, read while baby is being fed, bathe baby, eat dinner, read an hour or so, go to sleep.  Lol. 

I've been thinking that I need to update my NF post at the end of day now that I have challenge items that take all day to be declared a success, but I think I'm better off updating that the next morning.  But, yeah, I guess I don't really have a bedtime routine.

I'll have to keep an eye on what great ideas you decide for your bedtime ritual and might copycat you later!

Feel free to copy anything I do. *does a silly jelly belly dance*

4 hours ago, DrFeelgood said:

Check all lights and locks downstairs, go upstairs and change into jammies, lay out clothes for the morning, brush teeth, floss, mouthwash (fight the eternal battle against unibrow while swishing), wash hands and face, arrange pillows and blankets, turn lights off, lie down, surf tablet until exhausted while hoping MFG will initiate power cuddles.

Unless I've stayed up too late; then it's strip, brush teeth, and flop in bed. :D

I like this routine. It's safe, and good for the pores. :)

4 hours ago, deftona said:

I go to bed at 10 every night because I am an old lady. My night time routine mostly consists of brushing my teeth, washing my face, toning and moisturising. (I am already in my PJs because I put them on as soon as I get home, along with removing my makeup.) I then write in my BuJo about the important stuff that happened that day, then I answer my question of the day in my five year diary and wait for TH to finish whatever he's doing (I have never noticed what he does but it takes him freaking ages whatever it is). Then we have cuddle time and a catch up about the day until one of us falls asleep mid sentence. 

Dude, same. 

I was done running errands at 11am, and my jammies were ON. :D:D I like the reflective writing you do at night!

• Like 2

Today has been stressful, but it was a good learning opportunity. I had a staff meeting today, and everyone is grouchy. Our boss is becoming controlling, and her expectations are not reasonable given our time constraints.  My co workers are revealing their nasty side because they aren't getting what they want. I've been thinking about quitting, but I keep saying "I'll give it until the end of the month." 

Dad's eye pressure was 18. Under 12 is ideal, and we were shooting for under 15. If you get your pressure tested for glaucoma, remember those numbers. Don't let them try to convince you higher numbers are okay. They have medicine that can slow glaucoma down, but you gotta get it early.

So what did I do today to combat the stress? Well.. I finished all my life chores today. Life chores are practical, with immediate results. Bills paid? Boom. No more bills for today. Grocery shopping? Boom. Food in Fridge. Dusting? BOOM. Clean furniture (and sneezes)  I also did some etsy homework and figured out how much it would cost to make prints, so I can figure out how much to charge people. I'm excited because when someone buys something, it will cost them less, and I'll make more than when I use a printing service. 

I tried working out to relieve stress, but I found I was too stressed out to work out. It felt like I was trying to lift boulders today. I ended up setting my alarm for 30 minutes, and spent that time hiding in bed watching youtube. Then I took a bath and read the first three chapters of Agatha Raisin and the Quiche of Death. I also ate a big handful of gummi bears. I'm all about gummi animals lately. Writing here is stress-relieving too.

So here I am, with coffee and my laptop, and I'm ready to finish my work list. :)

• Like 3

Kudos for taking action to help relieve the stress.  And you get points for trying the workout even if it wasn't quite what you needed, bonus points for recognizing that it wasn't what you needed and trying someting else.  

• Like 1

Spoiler