I recently discovered Darebee.com for fitness routines. Last challenge, I tried Athena's Playbook which was a nice change from my usual workouts. This time though, I'm upping the anti by trying the Hero's Journey workout. A friend of mine picked this one since he tried Athena with me. He's not a member here though, so I thought maybe others might want to join us in our quest to become heroes. 

The Hero's Journey has elements of RPG in it and is geared towards weight loss, streamline and tone with a difficulty of 3/5. It is also a double challenge at 60 days long, so it's going to be hard!

If you choose to join, you are committing to working towards your Hero's Journey for 60 days. Go to the website and download the PDF and then we'll get started on Monday with this challenge. Offer support to your fellow heroes here and be relentless towards your goals: become a true hero! We will be dedicated and we will succeed, or die trying!

Rules
1. Follow this thread and other members' threads by clicking the red 'follow this topic' button at the top right of your screen.
2. Post a short introduction about yourself, what your challenge is all about and how it you plan to accomplish your own Hero's Journey. I will then add you to the list below, along with a link to your challenge.

3. Discuss the highs and lows of your personal Hero's Journey.

4. Support fellow heroes here as they struggle and succeed along with you.

Members

1. Elinox = Elinox Gets More Crazy

2. Hazard = Hazard Rebirth: The Second Evolution

3. White Ghost = The Arruvia Conspiracy - Downshifting

4. Jacey = Jacey's Serious This Time

5. BullyIdol = Bully Answers the Call

Image result for hero motivation

• Like 1

Level 38 Lupine Pirate = STR: 98 || DEX: 91 || STA: 102 || CON: 76 || WIS: 88 || CHA: 75

Current Challenge: 

Past Challenge List: Challenges 1-38

Battle Log: Battle On, Eli!

"You're the best kind of crazy." -Murphy, Dresden Files

"That's wolves for ya; good guys!" -Wolf, 10th Kingdom

I'm in.

Short Intro:  Hola.  I'm currently on a year-long Epic Quest to get a tiny waistline.  I do a lot of walking.  But getting some randomish other exercise-movement in is nice for variety.  Last month I got that variety by participating in a Quidditch-themed PVP.  Conveniently, right after that pvp ended, this Heroes Journey group got made.   So here I am. :).

My battle log is my challenge thread these days: Hazard Rebirth: the second evolution

You haven't seen my Final Form

I Stand With Gina Carano

Throwing my hat into the ring

Short Intro: I am a MAMIL* living in Beijing and working on physical autonomy (being able to do whatever I want with my body).  That ranges across a broad spectrum of activity including calisthenics, parkour, gymnastics, tricking, flexibility and general messing around.

My challenge is here: The Arruvia Conspiracy - Downshifting

*Middle Aged Man In Lycra™.  I'n not a cyclist but most of my workout kits are Lycra heavy :D 

HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library   Shuffle Club

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 3132, 33Humbug[Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

This starts today, right?

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 3132, 33Humbug[Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

If it's not too late (and okay for newbies to join), I'd love to take part in this challenge!

I'm a 30-year-old woman who really wants to trim my waistline and tone up. I love that this challenge has a lot of variety, and it seems like it can be done in a reasonable amount of time each day. I've been having trouble finding a program I like enough to stick to (they can get so repetitive), so I'm hoping this one will do the trick! I also think having accountability buddies will help me out a lot.

@Hazard A Quidditch-themed PVP sounds awesome! 

My challenge thread: Jacey's serious this time

• Like 1

Yup, today's Day 1 @WhiteGhost

And welcome @Jacey!

Does everyone have access to the PDF for the workouts?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Level 38 Lupine Pirate = STR: 98 || DEX: 91 || STA: 102 || CON: 76 || WIS: 88 || CHA: 75

Current Challenge: 

Day 1 done

Reflection:   I did Level 1, but had to pause briefly (10 sec or so) during 3 of the 4 exercises — splitting those into two or three sets to finish the 60 reps.  Not surprised at all.  My aerobic conditioning is lacking right now.  But I knew going into this that Neila Rey’s stuff is essentially aerobics with a creative twist.  It’s a type of training that will be good for me right now.

You haven't seen my Final Form

I Stand With Gina Carano

Day 1 reporting in.  I kicked this off with a bang doing level 3, but with the caveat that I may not stay at that level throughout.  I split them up into 4 sets of 50

The hardest ones for me by far were the side leg lifts, my lack of flexibility meant that my feet were only getting up to about knee height :( 

• Like 1

Level 2 Ninja

8 hours ago, Jacey said:

If it's not too late (and okay for newbies to join), I'd love to take part in this challenge!

Welcome to the crew, @Jacey

Level 2 Ninja

Day 1/60 completed for me. I did Level 2 and the hardest part was the squats for me. I'm sure I'm going to regret this choice tomorrow...

• Like 1

Current Challenge: 

Hey I'd like to join if its not too late!

I'm Bully Idol, and I'm trying to get strong (and lose weight) for roller derby! My personal challenge is called "Bully Answers the Call." The Hero's Challenge looks interesting, and I'm excited to try it! I like the role-playing aspect that it has, along with being able to choose different types of workouts along the way. I completed day 1 today, it went well, and I'm looking forward to tomorrow. I have started many but have never completed 30 day challenges before, so I know I'm going to struggle with this 60 day challenge. But I'm hoping with the help of the rebellion that I can succeed this time!

-Bully

• Like 2

Welcome @BullyIdol

I did day 2 as part of my regular workout this morning, again at level 3.  I chose to get involved and was surprised to notice that my form on the punches got better the more sets I did.  I guess once the initial energy was gone, I had to become more efficient, which resulted in better form.  The biggest takeaway was that in the beginning I was throwing my shoulders around to much, when I kept them tucked down and back during the punches I was able to get much more power and quickness.

Level 2 Ninja

30 minutes ago, elinox said:

And wow, @WhiteGhost you like to get your workouts done early!

I helps that I am in an early time zone (gmt +8) :)

Level 2 Ninja

Days 1 & 2 complete! I did Level I on day 1 since I haven't been exercising regularly. I minded my own business for day 2. Since it was the easier option I bumped it up to Level 2. @WhiteGhost I always find myself having better form toward the end of exercises too. I'll make sure to watch my shoulders if I end up doing those jab squats. 

And a late welcome, @BullyIdol!

• Like 1

I decided to use a heavy sword as my primary weapon (no surprise there) but may also try out the hammer and...  ribbon?  (ribbon is a weapon?  ok, whatever...).  I mostly want to do the kicks because I am hoping they will help out with hip flexibility.

I don't have any wrist or ankle weights to use as body armour but I did throw on a 10kg plate for the pushups, so I will count that as my armour

10 hours ago, Jacey said:

I always find myself having better form toward the end of exercises too. 

My form usually deteriorates towards the end due to fatigue, but in this case it was the opposite.  I can only guess it is because once I got really tired my muscles reverted to the muscle memory I built up years ago when I used to do martial arts.

• Like 1

Level 2 Ninja

Day 3: I went for the magic ring since my core is what I'm the most concerned about. I started vibrating toward the end of this. I felt super out of shape at the time but my body is feeling pretty great now. (PS. I hate side planks.) 

10 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

I decided to use a heavy sword as my primary weapon (no surprise there) but may also try out the hammer and...  ribbon?  (ribbon is a weapon?  ok, whatever...).  I mostly want to do the kicks because I am hoping they will help out with hip flexibility.

My form usually deteriorates towards the end due to fatigue, but in this case it was the opposite.  I can only guess it is because once I got really tired my muscles reverted to the muscle memory I built up years ago when I used to do martial arts.

I don't know how a ribbon is a weapon either. It must be one heck of a ribbon. That's always a good thing! I think that's what happens with most of the exercises I do from all of my years of gymnastics/ballet. Obviously, that wouldn't work for me so well with things like jabs. :D

• Like 2

Day 3/60 done and I chose the hammer. I also did the exercises with wrist weights on.

Also, apparently depending on what you do (reps level, weapon choice, etc.), you get points assigned per day. The number of points can be found at the end of the PDF or here. I have no idea what they're for, but you can keep track of just how many you get per day if you want to.

And I assume the ribbon is supposed to symbolize a martial arts belt. ;) 

Current Challenge: 

Day 3 done. I attempted the Lasso workout at my job (as a P.E. teacher), but I got 2 and a half minutes in and HOLY SHIN SPLINTS, BATMAN. So I chose the hammer. Mostly because it was one of the only exercises available that I could do in my small apartment with minimal noise for my downstairs neighbors. But also because I seriously need to work on my arms. I did 5 sets instead of 3 tonight, as the only hand weights I have were too light. I'm gonna go in search of some heavier weights before day 6!

I got in some hammer and ribbon training last night.  The kicks were terrible at first but eventually my body remembered what kicks were and things were a bit better by the end. 

Level 2 Ninja

Day 4 done here as well

Level 2 Ninja