Don't Panic Just Pole - April 17 to May 20

42 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

At least you're not doing the infamous ass wipe :D 

I don't even want to picture this :o no thank you!!

Level 18 Wood-Elf Assassin

battle log: counting the good things

current challenge: something, nothing, all the things

previous challenges: 25242322212019181716, 151413121110987654, 321

How cool is it that the same God who created mountains and oceans and galaxies looked at you and thought the world needed one of you, too

5 minutes ago, Norgaard said:

Im sweaty in my palms i cant grip even with chalk / litauiske grip :D

aaaah you're just looking for excuses :P I have the same and still I battle on ^_^

How cool is it that the same God who created mountains and oceans and galaxies looked at you and thought the world needed one of you, too

51 minutes ago, lucky fire dragon said:

The problem is when it's too grippy you can't really spin that well.

That would be an ok trade-off for me I think :P

47 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

The level of slipperiness depends on your skin, the pole temperature, the pole finish, the ambient temperature and humidity, grip aids... Even a chrome pole can get very sticky in the right conditions, so much that spins get difficult!

ha yes I recall we have had this conversation before! 

49 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

At least you're not doing the infamous ass wipe :D 

:hopelessness: :D

Challenges #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 | #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 (current)

Battle log The Assassin's Path (current)

Woot: first 1mn free HS | first press to HS

10 minutes ago, Norgaard said:

Liquid chalk doesnt Work either. I Can do a mean spin while sliding Down On my bum though :D

for me mostly neither and still.... it's like Hatter says with the right temperature and room moisture and all it can work anyhow, the sweat can even help at times though that is rarely the case with me.

What works best for me is still coating the pole itself in liquid chalk and letting it dry there. That's best

Until my hands worked it all of :P 

but choreos don't need to be that long so it's okay

We'll leave you be for now, don't worry :D

13 minutes ago, Norgaard said:

Liquid chalk doesnt Work either. I Can do a mean spin while sliding Down On my bum though :D

There's about 10 different types of grip aids for pole, I'm sure that something would work. ;) You can also get antihydral that prevents you from sweating at all. So you know, no excuses. :P Besides, the bum slide down sounds great haha.

Following for inspo! I'm setting my pole back up this challenge and looking forward to getting back on it! I'm basically starting over from scratch because it's been years since I've had a turn, but I'm looking forward to it!

• Like 1

Level 16 Ravenclaw Rebel

Fairy tales do not start, nor do they end, in the dark forest (Ted Lasso)
COMPLETED CHALLENGES: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 13.5 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18

CURRENT CHALLENGE

Ok, so I had a bit of a fail on this - turns out it’s hard to practise, do and film a little routine at the end of a class.  Also, ironically given all the talk about grip, I could only take time right at the end of class, by which point I was all gripped up and couldn’t spin at all!  I ended up pouring a bit of vodka on my hands to remove the grip, but having taken all the time, I was a bit flustered and only managed to do one new move (badly), and didn’t build it on the back hook!  I’ll put it below, so someone can build on it if they like - or ignore it and start again actually following the rules!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=NVrdsymHV3o

1) Back hook

2) Reverse grab

• Like 3
22 hours ago, athousandwords said:

Following for inspo! I'm setting my pole back up this challenge and looking forward to getting back on it! I'm basically starting over from scratch because it's been years since I've had a turn, but I'm looking forward to it!

Sure you don't want to join? :) Both Lucky and I are starting from scratch after a long break and besides, you can modify as much as you want! Either way awesome that you're picking up pole again!

6 hours ago, LouCarJo said:

Ok, so I had a bit of a fail on this - turns out it’s hard to practise, do and film a little routine at the end of a class.  Also, ironically given all the talk about grip, I could only take time right at the end of class, by which point I was all gripped up and couldn’t spin at all!  I ended up pouring a bit of vodka on my hands to remove the grip, but having taken all the time, I was a bit flustered and only managed to do one new move (badly), and didn’t build it on the back hook!  I’ll put it below, so someone can build on it if they like - or ignore it and start again actually following the rules!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=NVrdsymHV3o

1) Back hook

2) Reverse grab

Oops haha.

So I could not for the life of me figure out a transition from a back hook to reverse grab so I just added a toe to toe dip in between and modified the reverse grab to a reverse attitude sort of thing. I thought it was similar enough (except not at all ;)) but feel free to change it back if you find a good transition! 

Sorry about the potato quality, not sure what happened! :blink:

1. Back hook

2. Toe to toe dip

3. Reverse attitude, could end up both standing or all the way down to the floor

• Like 2
22 hours ago, athousandwords said:

How cool that you are picking it up again :)

Seconding Hatter:

11 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Sure you don't want to join? :) Both Lucky and I are starting from scratch after a long break and besides, you can modify as much as you want!

7 hours ago, LouCarJo said:

turns out it’s hard to practise, do and film a little routine at the end of a class.

Ah, yes, that can be a problem. Is the next class already pouring into the room eager to get on with it? That's what often was the case at the studio I used to go for classes.

Oh man, I want to have a point of so much grip I need to clean my hands from it :lol: always have the opposite problem

Great job on filming a move anyway!

15 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

So I could not for the life of me figure out a transition from a back hook to reverse grab so I just added a toe to toe dip in between and modified the reverse grab to a reverse attitude sort of thing. I thought it was similar enough (except not at all ;)) but feel free to change it back if you find a good transition! 

That is a nice transition, makes sense. Ahaha, I might end up changing it involuntarily again as I've never done this one before and will have to see how I do at all :D 

Will give it go tomorrow then, yay.

16 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

I kind of like the angle, makes it look extra special :D Also, wow you have a reeaaaaaaaallllllllly nice set up there!!!

24 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Sure you don't want to join? :) Both Lucky and I are starting from scratch after a long break and besides, you can modify as much as you want! Either way awesome that you're picking up pole again!

7 minutes ago, lucky fire dragon said:

Seconding Hatter:

Tempting!! I'm still waiting on a pole mount to arrive (lost it when I moved :chargrined: ) but I should be getting my setup done this weekend. I'll definitely be trying the routine so far; if I'm not too rusty, I'll join in!

7 hours ago, LouCarJo said:

Also, ironically given all the talk about grip, I could only take time right at the end of class, by which point I was all gripped up and couldn’t spin at all!  I ended up pouring a bit of vodka on my hands to remove the grip

I literally never have this problem - or vodka handy :D

11 minutes ago, lucky fire dragon said:

28 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

I kind of like the angle, makes it look extra special :D Also, wow you have a reeaaaaaaaallllllllly nice set up there!!!

Seconding! Your setup is amazing!!

Level 16 Ravenclaw Rebel

COMPLETED CHALLENGES: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 13.5 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18

CURRENT CHALLENGE

52 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Oops haha.

1. Back hook

2. Toe to toe dip

3. Reverse attitude, could end up both standing or all the way down to the floor

Yeah, sorry about not getting a transition in there!

Such space you’ve got there!

Thank you :) 

Nice to know it looks like it even though it might not always feel like it :lol:

My contribution today did not feel that flowy at all, but I'm really happy to have it as it took me a while working it out. Oh gosh my body did NOT want to do that attitude in reverse grip and thoroughly flying around the front of the pole... there was just no flipping way whatever I tried, so I adapted it somewhat and hope it's still close enough to the original move.

Toe to toe dip is fine :) That was very kind of you Hatter!

I went on to the floor and did a kind of frog leg move against the pole that could be turned into cross knee release but waaaaah all my abs are gone ... (also I slipped too low, it should be more like an assisted shoulder stand height) so I'm very happy for you to look for a different thing to add from there, I was just trying out.

Actually my move is only the frog leg one. Feel free to go back on the floor after that or whatever :)

1. Back hook

2. Toe to toe dip

3. Reverse attitude

4. Frog legs 

• Like 1

@LouCarJo have fun :) 

On 4/19/2018 at 10:54 PM, @mu said:

You three are looking so flowy! It's fab! This is going to be a great PvP!

Mad Hatter, so many toys! :D it's like aerialist Toys'R'us, love it!

I don't know about flowy, I feel extremely rusty! :wacko:Even when I was actively poling flow and grace have always eluded me... I'm so jealous of people with natural grace like @lucky fire dragon!

Haha yeah I love my setup! Who needs furniture when you can have toys? ;) 

12 hours ago, lucky fire dragon said:

My contribution today did not feel that flowy at all, but I'm really happy to have it as it took me a while working it out. Oh gosh my body did NOT want to do that attitude in reverse grip and thoroughly flying around the front of the pole... there was just no flipping way whatever I tried, so I adapted it somewhat and hope it's still close enough to the original move.

Well it looks great. :) The real reverse grab is a HARD spin. At least I've always struggled with it, for me it's never been really nice or consistent. I seem to struggle with either having too much grip or too little grip. Part of it might be mental too because in order to get really good momentum you need to kick hard and because I'm so tall there's a real risk of crashing into other poles or furniture or people. But mainly I lack coordination. :P It's such a cool spin when it's really big and fast though!

51 minutes ago, LouCarJo said:

Thanks!  Not sure I’ll be able to emulate how serene you make all that look!  

Luckily that's not part of the challenge, serene is not my game either. :D 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, LouCarJo said:

Thanks!  Not sure I’ll be able to emulate how serene you make all that look!  

8 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

I'm so jealous of people with natural grace like @lucky fire dragon!

eh WHAT??! :blink: I'll take that with a huge thank you, because I am utterly gobsmacked now.

And believe me, it did not feel that serene :lol: but hey, if it looks like it I won't complain :D

8 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Haha yeah I love my setup! Who needs furniture when you can have toys? ;) 

my family apparently ... I'll have to train them a bit better :P

Well it looks great. :) The real reverse grab is a HARD spin. At least I've always struggled with it, for me it's never been really nice or consistent. I seem to struggle with either having too much grip or too little grip. Part of it might be mental too because in order to get really good momentum you need to kick hard and because I'm so tall there's a real risk of crashing into other poles or furniture or people. But mainly I lack coordination. :P It's such a cool spin when it's really big and fast though!

Thank you for that, it's soothing me nicely :) Yes, it looks soooo cool and I've always admired it. One day.... we'll master our mental game and coordination!

Luckily that's not part of the challenge, serene is not my game either. :D 

Firstly, you do look serene on your part and second @LouCarJo we made that a rule on purpose :D

On 4/17/2018 at 9:26 PM, lucky fire dragon said:

while pretty lines are always pretty of course, they are not required at all, just because we share video :P 

goes for serenity, flowiness, etc just the same also facial expression although I have to admit knowing I'll be sharing it here I do make a point now of smiling at least to begin and end :) 

Really the most important thing is to stay safe and HAVE FUN

Guys, I failed again with this challenge...  I got to practise the back hook in my beginners class yesterday, but when I then tried surreptitiously to add on the reverse grab and the rest, I got stopped and asked to do a front hook/back hook combo to be filmed as part of the class record, and when I tried again I kept getting interrupted/stared at some more.  Basically trying to do a sequence around class time is not really working...  I did consider staying on after class but by then I’d done three classes back to back and given the hot weather, I was pretty much exhausted.  

Really sorry for messing up your sequencing; hopefully one of you can just pick it up again this week from where it was left off.  I’ll try to jump in again if I manage to find some quiet space, but don’t expect me.

I would thank you for giving me the impetus to practice my back hook though - I’d never been able to get it before but did so yesterday.

23 hours ago, LouCarJo said:

Really sorry for messing up your sequencing; hopefully one of you can just pick it up again this week from where it was left off.  I’ll try to jump in again if I manage to find some quiet space, but don’t expect me.

Aww don't worry about it, it's just a shame. :(  Feel free to jump in at any time though, we'll make it work. And yay for getting the back hook!

I'll do my best to pick it up today! 

• Like 1
On 4/22/2018 at 11:24 AM, LouCarJo said:

Basically trying to do a sequence around class time is not really working

Shame yes, that makes sense though. Also you want to focus on the class you're taking. Bummer, it was such fun having you join. Maybe we can work it still some other way? Only if you like though...

maybe you could watch where we are and think of something to add and then only sneak a film of that one extra move again? Or you add floor moves? Like right now we could easily add some floor moves. What do you think? 

by then I’d done three classes back to back and given the hot weather, I was pretty much exhausted.  

:o I wouldn't need hot weather to be exhausted. That's like a pole marathon!! Hope the classes were fun though :)

I would thank you for giving me the impetus to practice my back hook though - I’d never been able to get it before but did so yesterday.

Hey how cool, congrats! 

10 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

I'll do my best to pick it up today! 

No rush, you better get some sleep first ;) 

Ok, I finally got my pole up and I am super duper rusty (and weak :P ) but I figured I'd jump in.  I can't do a cross knee release to save my life right now, so I just transitioned off the pole and into the easiest spin I know.  Thank goodness grace isn't being judged here! :D 

1. Back hook

2. Toe to toe dip

3. Reverse attitude

4. Frog legs 

5. Martini

• Like 2

Level 16 Ravenclaw Rebel

CURRENT CHALLENGE