Radost in: Beware Bad News Bears

Radost

Hiiiii, I’m coming to play with you guys for as long as I’m not running due to this strained, tweaked, torn, or whatever business in my foot (walking and cycling are ok, thank goodness, but apparently jumping jacks and similar movements are Bad News Bears).  I see a few familiar faces...for those who aren’t and who like intros, I’m Radost, a child care professional & teacher in my mid-30s from the west coast of Canada. Geekery-wise, my main jam is fibre arts, but I love board games, tabletop rpgs, and video games. I used to love reading sci-fi and fantasy too, but as a feminist who has started reading more Literature, I find it’s rare that books in the genre meet my standards these days (open to recommendations, though!). Fitness-wise, I love to run but I’ve been working on adding strength training and yoga to my routine, and that’s where my focus remains for as long as my foot gives me trouble. 

Here’s what I have planned for the upcoming challenge:

Diet:

For workday snacks, I get 7 points per week. Things that are worth a point: packaged snacks of 150 cal or less (e.g. granola bar); single large baked good (e. g. donut); up to 3 small baked goods (e.g. my homemade cookies), chocolates, or candies; sugary coffee drinks. This should do a good job of limiting my sugar intake a bit more than the last challenge while also giving me more flexibility.  And I think that’s all I’m going to focus on for diet this time. 

Fitness: 

work out 3x/week - pass will be 84%

One workout weekly that is 30+ minutes - pass will be 75%

Stretch five minutes 5x/week - pass will be 80% - this is my primary line of defense versus the aforementioned Bad News Bears. I admit that I haven’t seen a doctor about my foot but the stretches the internet and my massage therapist recommended are not helping, don’t even seem to touch the affected area, so I’m going to keep delving into various leg and foot stretches until I find the right ones. 

Life:

Gardening: weekly for 30+ minutes - pass will be 75%

Cross-crafting: fit in one of my neglected crafts (sewing, spinning, cross-stitching) or a wip I haven’t touched in over a year every week (minimum time commitment 15 minutes) - pass will be 75%

• Like 1

Interesting concept here about the # of points per week in cleaning up your diet- i.e. 7 pts. etc. That is something I haven't seen. I'm sorry to hear about your foot I hope it all works out. Hopefully it's more about the muscle instead of the nerves because muscle damage is easier to get over in the long run. 

On 2018-04-17 at 6:23 PM, Rubik'sCat said:

Interesting concept here about the # of points per week in cleaning up your diet- i.e. 7 pts. etc. That is something I haven't seen. 

Haha, thanks. I was totally riffing on Weight Watchers (which I haven’t used, but a few friends have). It seemed like a good way to continue challenging myself to limit snacking while having a little more flexibility and less chance of overcompensating than I did last challenge where I was going snack-free a certain number of days per week. 

The foot is definitely a muscle/ligament thing, based on how it improves/worsens with different activities. Thank goodness. But man, it’s been a month since I last ran and it’s still a noticeable thing and I just wanna get over it!

Hey welcome to the Rangers! I am sad that you cannot run  :( I love running but you'll find plenty of lifting, rucking, biking yoga and whatever else floats your boat here :D Is the problem with your foot PF or something like it? 

strava - myfitnesspal - Instagram

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

" Always aim for something stupidly crazy." - Charlie Quinn

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Current Challenge: First Steps

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

@jonfirestar thanks for the welcome! This group seemed like a great fit for me too, all kinds of things I like here!

PF was my first guess with my foot, but after trying every stretch the internet and my massage therapist recommended and none of them even seem to stretch the sore place, I think it’s a similar injury but to a different muscle/fascia. Money's a bit tight so I’ve been going to the massage school in town, but I might spring for some sessions with a more experienced RMT soon because it’s worse again this week, despite no running or jumping in about ten days. :frown-new:

Week one roundup!

Diet:

Workday snack points used: 6/7 gold!

Fitness: 

work out 3x/week: 2/3

30+ minute workout y/n: Y ...tried some yin yoga with a focus on hips and quads and liked it, although this particular sequence was a bit beyond me in places. 

5 min stretches:  5/5

Life:

Gardening minutes: 90

Cross-crafting y/n: Y! I managed 2/3 neglected crafts (3/3 if I can say sewing a back onto my cross-stitched bookmark counts as cross stitching, haha).

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Radost said:

Week one roundup!

Diet:

Workday snack points used: 6/7 gold!

Fitness: 

work out 3x/week: 2/3

30+ minute workout y/n: Y ...tried some yin yoga with a focus on hips and quads and liked it, although this particular sequence was a bit beyond me in places. 

Life:

Gardening minutes: 90

Cross-crafting y/n: Y! I managed 2/3 neglected crafts (3/3 if I can say sewing a back onto my cross-stitched bookmark counts as cross stitching, haha).

Hey, that's more stitching than I can do...unless you count side stitches during long bouts of jogging. Congratulations on only using 1 point in the workday snack points.

13 hours ago, Radost said:

Yes it counts! I know it's not exactly cross stitching but it is nonetheless a part of the process. So it counts. Sounds like you had a pretty amazing week :) 

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

On 2018-04-29 at 7:01 PM, Rubik'sCat said:

Congratulations on only using 1 point in the workday snack points.

Hahahahahahahaha nope, I used 6 points. But things have been dire the last few months so having told myself I could have x and chosen x-1 is a big deal. 

Thanks for the crafting props! And @jonfirestar too! This week I’ll definitely get some spinning in at D&D...I’ve fallen back in love with the project I’m working on and am really enjoying making time for it. Actual cross stitch is a bit bigger challenge because I need to start something, I can’t just pick it up. But my next project is a gift so I want to get on it!

• Like 1
On 5/4/2018 at 2:37 AM, Radost said:

Hahahahahahahaha nope, I used 6 points. But things have been dire the last few months so having told myself I could have x and chosen x-1 is a big deal. 

Thanks for the crafting props! And @jonfirestar too! This week I’ll definitely get some spinning in at D&D...I’ve fallen back in love with the project I’m working on and am really enjoying making time for it. Actual cross stitch is a bit bigger challenge because I need to start something, I can’t just pick it up. But my next project is a gift so I want to get on it!

It can really be hard to start a new project sometimes. It can be easier when you've already got something on the go for sure! 

• Like 1

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

Week three roundup!

Diet:

Workday snack points used: 5/7 I was so busy afternoons this week!

Fitness: 

work out 3x/week: 3/3, yeah!

30+ minute workout y/n: Y

Life:

Gardening minutes: 180 ...hoo boy I worked hard today with my push mower and my saw-blade sickle. And the yard still just looks like it’s had a terrible haircut. 

Cross-crafting y/n: Y - completed a stage on my wheel spinning project!

I also went to an RMT last weekend to get some help with my foot. She seemed to know how to do massage, but she also told me I needed to soak my feet in apple cider vinegar to “de-acidify” my body and had I considered xyz supplements and how was my liver function because the calluses on my feet looked very yellow (that’s because they’re calluses. Because I walk a lot at work. And never have time to give myself a pedicure.) Sooooo guess I’m looking for someone new. 

• Like 1
On 5/14/2018 at 2:35 AM, Radost said:

I also went to an RMT last weekend to get some help with my foot. She seemed to know how to do massage, but she also told me I needed to soak my feet in apple cider vinegar to “de-acidify” my body and had I considered xyz supplements and how was my liver function because the calluses on my feet looked very yellow (that’s because they’re calluses. Because I walk a lot at work. And never have time to give myself a pedicure.) Sooooo guess I’m looking for someone new. 

Hmm yeah. That would be my reaction too tbh. I really hope you can find something to help you. 

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

Crossed the monkey bars twice yesterday with out-of-school-care monkey #2. I showed off by skipping bars...finishing the crossing by skipping an unthinkable TWO (heck yeah, adult size arms ftw!)!!!

Of course kiddo showed me up by pulling one of these:

1CA9236D-AED4-446E-B441-A8F7BD43BFC1.jpeg

Damn littles and their amazing muscle-to-bodyweight ratios. 

My hands were stiff this morning. Guess I was right in the mini-challenge thread that hand strength was one of the things making travelling the bars tough. But two weeks’ practice has made a big difference and I’m psyched to get back to this over the summer. 

• Like 3

Final challenge stats:

Diet: 100% pass!

Fitness:

Weekly workouts: 79% not quite there

Long workouts: 100% pass

Stretches: 90% and my foot still hurts. But that’s a pass. 

Life:

Gardening: 75%  pass

Cross-crafting: 100% pass!

And it came to pass thusly:

Week four roundup!

Diet:

Workday snack points used: 4/7 whaaaaaat? Ok, truth time: a lot of snacking happens on Fridays, when I don’t work at the preschool and instead spend the hours the big kids are at school doing housework, listening to audiobooks...and snacking. This Friday the kids were out of school so I had to put my Role Model hat back on. Overall, this bodes well for a snacking reset over the summer. 

Fitness: 

work out 3x/week: 2.5/3 (I’m calling the monkey bars 0.5...it didn’t really meet my usual requirement of 10+ minutes of more action than not, but my shoulders and even hands tell me I did a lot of work). 

30+ minute workout y/n: Y

5 min stretches:  3/5 yikes. Need to get back on track with this!

Life:

Gardening minutes: 0 womp womp

Cross-crafting y/n: Y - finally got started on my big cross-stitch project! Spent most of the time on setup, but hey, now I’m ready to get into the fun stitching, no more excuses!