Welcome back for another episode of The Exciting Adventures of JediNickD! It was a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away that I joined this site and started my first challenge.. World 1 was my first extended stay through 22 challenges.  I took a hiatus from NF and came back with a new direction for my goals where I warped to World 2, which I defeated in a Boss Fight slaying some mighty big goals.  In World 3, I continue to develop my fitness, getting my body in the best shape of my life, even with the Degenerative Disc Disease, Arthritis, Disc Fissures, and a crooked spine causing nerve root irritation and pain in my back, hip, legs, neck, and shoulders.  Through physical therapy exercises and karate, I maintain my core and back muscles to ease the pressure off my spine.  I'm not planning to be playing rugby or football again in this lifetime, but I'm not giving up hope on the possibility either... Rebellions are built on HOPE!

I'm just going to keep on L-I-V-I-N, fight the good (and healthy) fight, and level up my life!

Challenge Lesson:  

Maz Kanata: Dear child. I see your eyes. You already know the truth. Whomever you're waiting for on Jakku... they're never coming back... But... there's someone who still could.

Rey: Luke.

Maz Kanata: The belonging you seek is not behind you... it is ahead. I am no Jedi, but I know the Force. It moves through and surrounds every living thing. Close your eyes... Feel it... The light... it's always been there. It will guide you. The saber. Take it.

Rey: I'm never touching that thing again. I don't want any part of this.

Life will present you with situations which are difficult.  Like Finn running from the First Order, you will want to run away from it all.  Like Rey, after the horrifying Force Vision, you will want no part in it.  Whether you are afraid for yourself or others or whether you just want to stay in your comfort zone, you will find regret in your inaction.  Through avoidance and denial, humans tend to lock themselves to behavior and habits which become overwhelming and appear inescapable.  Maybe it is a dead end job too difficult to leave, or a family situation too sensitive to handle, or maybe an addiction or habit that is easier to dismiss as inconsequential rather than really seeing the effects it has on yourself or others. 

Instead of seeing the difficulty, look at it as if life is presenting you an opportunity to challenge yourself and to grow.  Growing does not stop when we reach adulthood.  Growth can happen every day.  You just have to seize the opportunity.  The Past is a history lesson from which to learn.  The Future is undetermined and can be whatever you choose to make it.  The Present is your opportunity to apply the Past to make a brighter Future.  It is a gift to be opened every moment.  Do not wait for a special occasion.

My Main Quest and Mission:

My mission is to be the best Jedi I can be. My main quest is always to enhance my overall health, fitness, and knowledge to be prepared for whatever challenges life could throw at me. As a Jedi, I need to be able to help people, whether that is a life threatening situation or just a charitable one. There is no boss level in Jedi training, there is only tomorrow.

World 3 Level 12 Challenge:

FITNESS:

• Cardio: Speed and Stamina - 240 min total, 60 weekly. 

DEX +1, STA +1

• Exercise: Lifting and Bodyweight - 320 min total, 80 weekly. 

STR +1

• Flexibility: Stretching and Physical Therapy - 480 min total, 120 weekly. 

STR +1, DEX +1

• Karate: Training and Practice - 600 min total, 150 weekly. 
    STR +1, DEX +1, STA +1

DIET:

• Weight Control - Track weight. Complete measurements before or during Week 1 and again during or after Week 4.  Watch portions and make healthy choices for 24 of 28 days.  Track lunch portions, especially.  Track "fasting" after dinner nightly. 
    CON +2

LIFE:

• Get Stuff Done - Complete (or dedicate at least one hour to) 300 Tasks or Projects, with at least 75 each week, from any of the following areas (minimum for challenge):
    Toastmasters Communication Practice (8), Toastmasters Leadership Practice (12), Toastmasters Speech and Training Development (8), Mentoring (10), Charity Work (10), Jedi Training (8), Self Preservation (24), Reading (24), Church Work (8), Job Work (20), Business Projects (12), Dishes (20), Laundry (16), Cleaning/Dusting/Vacuuming (24), Other Chores (24), Yard Work (8), Animal Care (60), Home Renovation (6), Auto Maintenance (6), Family Activities (12), Adventuring (6).   
    WIS +3, CHA +2

INCENTIVES!  Working hard for CASH!  ($207 carried over)

REWARD 1:  For each week, I complete 80 or more tasks, I will put aside $10 to spend how I see fit. 
CONSEQUENCE 1:  For any week where I complete less than 75 tasks, I will give up $10 of saved cash.

REWARD 2:  $5 for each Business Project hour:

• write/plan/record a 2018 Extra Life Kickoff Video
  • get involved in Extra Life Baltimore Guild
  • revisit Wizard Laser Tag (look into Recoil game app and tech) for Epic Nerd Camp
  • draw up plan for Jedi website
  • VHS-to-DVD conversion

CONSEQUENCE 2: Lose $10 for each week without a Business Project hour.

REWARD 3:  $1 for each hour working on Jedi Training lessons.  $10 for each completed IJRS lesson.  Need to get back to the formal training at IJRS.
CONSEQUENCE 3: Lose $5 for each week without working on a Jedi Training lesson.

REWARD 4: $1 for each night of fasting after dinner.  Fruits and veggies allowed in small quantities, but no dessert or snacking.   

CONSEQUENCE 4: Lose $2 for each day without fasting. 

REWARD 5: $1 for each day with a small, healthy lunch. 

CONSEQUENCE:  Lose $2 for each day without a small, healthy lunch.

REWARD 6: $1 for each night I brush and floss before bed.  $0 for just brushing.

CONSEQUENCE:  Lose $1 for each night I forget to brush.  Lose $2 for voluntarily skipping brushing.

BONUSES: 

Life:

• $2 for healthy grocery shopping
  • $2 for healthy meal prep
  • $2 for each Home Renovation and Auto Maintenance task.

Workout:

• $2 for each cardio session over 25 min
  • $10 for doubling any weekly minimum

PUNISHMENT:

• Lose $10 each day with weight above 151.5 lbs. 
  • Lose $5 for eating more than 2 slices of pizza in any meal.
  • Lose $1 for each night I skip tooth brushing Upgraded to Reward 6
  • Lose $5 for not weighing in each morning
  • Like 1

World 5 Level 5 | Epic Quest | Toastmasters: Where Leaders are Made | Institute for Jedi Realist Studies | Extra Life 2020 | YouTube Channel | Epic Nerd Camp

Spoiler

"No.  Try not.  Do... or do not.  There is no try." -- Yoda | "We are what we repeatedly do."  -- Aristotle

Distinguished Toastmaster Agnostic Rationalist Jedi Dwarf Martial Artist Monk Ranger Assassin Engineer Scientist Philosopher Student Nerd
World 5 Level 5 Stats: STR 144.0 | DEX 152.25 | STA 145.5 | CON 146.0 | WIS 149.0 | CHA 141.0

World 1 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22World 2 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10]  

World 3 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12World 4 Level [1, 2 (post lost), 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11]

World 5 Level [1, 2, 3, 4]

“If you are willing to be terrible at something for a short period of time, you can be great at anything.” -- Sinbad (Stand-Up Comedian)

151.4 lbs  Ran on the treadmill for the first time in a long while.  Felt good.

• Like 1

World 5 Level 5 | Epic Quest | Toastmasters: Where Leaders are Made | Institute for Jedi Realist Studies | Extra Life 2020 | YouTube Channel | Epic Nerd Camp

Spoiler

"No.  Try not.  Do... or do not.  There is no try." -- Yoda | "We are what we repeatedly do."  -- Aristotle

Distinguished Toastmaster Agnostic Rationalist Jedi Dwarf Martial Artist Monk Ranger Assassin Engineer Scientist Philosopher Student Nerd
World 5 Level 5 Stats: STR 144.0 | DEX 152.25 | STA 145.5 | CON 146.0 | WIS 149.0 | CHA 141.0

World 1 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22World 2 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10]  

World 3 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12World 4 Level [1, 2 (post lost), 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11]

“If you are willing to be terrible at something for a short period of time, you can be great at anything.” -- Sinbad (Stand-Up Comedian)

Week 1 Summary:

FITNESS

Cardio:  30 min 2.5 miles Treadmill; 30 min Basketball practice

Exercise:  Pull ups, Archer Pull ups, Toes to Bar, Squats, Push ups, Typewriter Push ups, Extended Push ups, Hollow Body, Leg lifts, Bicycle Situps, Supermans; 80 mins total

Stretching: At least 20 mins every day; 140 min total

Karate:  2 classes; practiced form, kicks, combos; earned green stripe for thrust spearhand, rib cage palm (broke board), and backstance blocks; practice creed (Vince Lombardi "What It Takes to be Number One" quote); 165 min total

DIET

Diet has been ok, but I'm not hitting my marks.  I'm eating Spring Mix salads for lunch, boiled egg and apple for breakfast, carrots for snacking.  Had pizza twice though, one dinner and one company bought lunch.  I did go a couple days without a Dr Pepper.  My oldest daughter has stomach pain.  Doctors haven't been much help other than ruling out all the awful conditions and diseases.  Through watching what she drinks, we think we narrowed it down to high fructose corn syrup or red food dye; therefore, we are being cautious with purchasing anything with those ingredients.  She's been doing better.  I know what Dr Pepper does to me and some days I just need the caffeine and "sugar" kick, but I also know how much better I can feel without it.  Adding it to my tracker to limit it in next challenge.

LIFE

Tasks:  I'm at 55 tasks for the week. 

Today, I want to get my IJRS lesson out and work on it.  I have to summarize the course training in my own words and explain what I learned about myself.  I wanted to what a couple weeks before I did it to let it sink in and to not regurgitate the lessons verbatim (photographic memory will do that), but that turned into a couple months.  Now, I really have to reread all my lessons and assignments to wrap it up. 

I also need to get my Business Project hour in.  It will hopefully happen on Saturday after I get my computer set back up.  Several weeks ago, I had been doing a bit of research for my 2018 Extra Life Gameday for my Legend of Zelda Randomizer run, which I could do a little work on.  International Table Top Day is Saturday, which could play a part, if I can get myself organized for it (clean up and take some quality pics and video for posting and promoting). 

My wife and I are planning a date night to go see "A Quiet Place" and maybe buy tickets for Avengers for Saturday if game night isn't happening.

Like last weekend, Saturday figures to be busy with a kid bowling birthday party, Table Top day at the Comic Book store (if we go), and game or movie night. 

Sunday, my youngest has a karate test to move up to Orange belt.  She is not sure she likes karate, but when she is in class, I can see on her face and body language that she enjoys it.  She loves learning and enjoys helping people.  I think when she gets to help the younger kids learn that her interest in karate will really soar.  Orange belt is at the front of the Junior class and one belt below being able to Sempai the junior class.  Also, spar class will help elevate her interest.

• Like 1

Spoiler

150.0 lbs this morning.  Crushing Karate last night and this morning, but I am sore today.  Yesterday morning, I ran on the treadmill for 25 minutes hitting 2.5 miles speeding up to 6.5 mph for most the run.  I probably should have rested this morning.  I did get in the hot tub before heading to the gym.  There will be time for rest tonight.  Tomorrow I'll put in some good physical therapy.

Doing better on the diet, minimizing my potions and snacking.  Rotating boiled eggs, apples, and jerky for breakfast instead of the nut mix is helping cut down fat and calories.   Brushing and flossing helps keep me from snacking at night if I do it earlier, so that is definitely getting moved up.  I should just do it with the kids before they go to bed. 

• Like 1

Spoiler

150.8 lbs this morning.  Yesterday was a huge karate day.  I did 20 mins of practice in the morning, then had two classes, one as Sempai for the 45 min junior class and one 60 min class full of stance and combo work.  I was beat after, but the back and legs are doing well today. 

• Like 1

Spoiler

151.0 lbs this morning.  I have been fluctuating around 152.5, so I know I have work to do.  Ran 1.5 miles in 15 mins on the treadmill and machine biked 4 miles in 13 mins this morning despite my right leg and foot pain, which relieved as I went, but came back after.  

Took a seminar about joint pain and care, which taught me a lot about the causes and solutions of the pain I've been having.  All of it stems from my scoliosis, poor posture, treating my body like a wrecking ball, and incorrect care.  On Monday, I'm getting a complimentary assessment from the chiropractor who instructed the seminar.  All the doctors and physicians I have seen for my pain issues have not been as thorough as she was with the seminar (and it was only an hour).  Her main action items from the seminar were to correct alignment first (which I have been doing by changing my posture and doing physical therapy), get active with full range of motion (which has been difficult because of flexibility issues and pain, and knowing my limits versus testing my limits), correcting diet with water, veggies, natural anti-oxidants, and natural anti-inflammatory supplements while avoiding inflammatory foods (sugar and flour at the top of the list), and lastly, reducing stress (which pain and stress can snowball each other).  I'm working on all these, but I feel like a professional look at each is needed.  As she put it, you get check ups for your teeth, heart, etc, why not your joints?

Should be fun.

Mother's Day weekend is going to be full of activity starting tonight with a trip to the auto shop to get the Prius AC fixed and some kid birthday present shopping for Saturday, plus dinner and maybe a little Mother's Day shopping.  Saturday is a karate morning and kid birthday party afternoon.  The oldest daughter is going to her first sleepover, which it just struck me that she would not be home Sunday morning... going to have to figure out how to make her Mother's Day gift presentation special, since it won't be first thing in the morning.  I am thinking about a tea party when we get home from church.  The ladies will like that. 

Spoiler

Up to 153.4 yesterday, back down to 151.4 today.  I basically skipped lunch yesterday and just snacked on an apple and some Cheez-Its. 

I'm going to cut down on Dr Pepper, again.  The sugar and high fructose corn syrup need to hit the road.  I'm planning some rules, rewards, and consequences to curb my thirst.

Spoiler

150.6 lbs 

Did great with the diet exercising control over urges.  No Dr Pepper either. 

Testing for Purple Senior in Karate on the 27th.  So close to striping for combos.  I need it because they kind of suck to do full out repetitions for 20 minutes in class, which seems to be weekly during test month until that stripe is earned.  A lot of right leg work which just wears out.  If I don't stripe that, then I'm striping my creed tonight. 

Spoiler

151.0 lbs this morning.  Chiropractor adjustment was awesome.  Almost 24 hours since and my neck has been feeling great.  I'm committed to a full year of correcting my spine alignment.  It'll cost, but it'll be worth every minute and every penny if I can eliminate the pain for next year or more.  I'm still going to get the injection too, but it should be the only one I need if all goes well.

• Like 1

Spoiler

Glad to hear you found something that works - still feeling better? Fixing the fundamental problem should help way more than treating symptoms, I hope that makes some major changes for you. How did the challenge overall go?

Manarelle the Level 55 Amazon Assassin

Gryffindarling and Sith Acolyte, somehow.

Challenges: 1-1011-2021-3031-4041-50, 51-60, Current

149.4 lbs this morning.  Chiropractor adjustments appear to be helping.  Getting some relief for the lingering pain (no headaches or leg pain!) and sleeping better.  Cutting down on Dr Pepper is going well too.  Only two cans since Thursday and both were on the weekend. 

This morning, I practiced my safety rolls and quadrupedal movement.  I noticed my left side was awkward and coming up with my feet backwards, so I wanted to fix that and make it more natural for when I have to do rolls in Karate. 

Also, I hit a new PR on my one-handed chin ups at 7 on my right!  I followed with 5 on the left.  Next time I start on the left and see if I can hit 7 there. 

The challenge went well.  I'll be posting my grades soon and preparing the next challenge.

• Like 1

Spoiler

World 3 Level 12 Challenge GRADES:

FITNESS:

• Cardio: Speed and Stamina - 240 min total, 60 weekly. 

DEX +1, STA +1  A = 310 min, weekly met.  I got a few good long runs in, but a short fast run followed by biking or walking felt good and productive.  Going to need to add a separate walking category to help my body re-learn posture for my spine adjustments. 

• Exercise: Lifting and Bodyweight - 320 min total, 80 weekly. 

STR +1  A = 370 min, weekly met.  Probably need to scale this back for the next 3 months during my spine adjustments. 

• Flexibility: Stretching and Physical Therapy - 480 min total, 120 weekly. 

STR +1, DEX +1  A = 555 min, weekly met.  Need more emphasis on weekends.  Typically, I truncate and only do 10 minutes a day on weekends.  I should bring it up to 20 min each day. 

• Karate: Training and Practice - 600 min total, 150 weekly. 
    STR +1, DEX +1, STA +1  A = 700 min, weekly met.  Testing for Purple Senior and moving to Advanced Rank.  Exciting, but I need to talk to the instructors about what to do about spar class as it is a requirement for Brown belt and beyond.  My chiropractor did not forbid it.  They want me doing all my normal activities so I don't "baby" my spine, but I'd rather not take a hit which undoes they work either.  I think after my injection on May 30th, I may feel a little different about contact and impacts as my lower back and leg pain and stiffness is relieved.

DIET:

• Weight Control - Track weight. Complete measurements before or during Week 1 and again during or after Week 4.  Watch portions and make healthy choices for 24 of 28 days.  Track lunch portions, especially.  Track "fasting" after dinner nightly. 
    CON +2  A = 26 of 28 lunches good.  25 of 28 days with healthy choices and good portions.  22 nights of fasting.
    Starting weight 150.6 lbs, ending weight 151.0 lbs.  Nothing there, but Week 1 average 152.4 lbs, Week 4 average 151.6 lbs.  Improvement there.  Avg Weight at Start 151.1 lbs (30 day) and 151.4 lbs (10 day), End 151.9 lbs (30 day) and 151.6 lbs (10 day).  I didn't make any strides in weight.  A lot of that is not having a calorie deficit on enough days.  On my incentives, that ends up costing me.  It'll be a bigger focus next challenge. 

My waist line went from 32.0 in to 31.6 in.  That's BIG.  I am donating another two pairs of dress pants, since they look ridiculous on me.  AND I have to get my suit pants taken in again! 

LIFE:

• Get Stuff Done - Complete (or dedicate at least one hour to) 300 Tasks or Projects, with at least 75 each week, from any of the following areas (minimum for challenge):
    Toastmasters Communication Practice (8), Toastmasters Leadership Practice (12), Toastmasters Speech and Training Development (8), Mentoring (10), Charity Work (10), Jedi Training (8), Self Preservation (24), Reading (24), Church Work (8), Job Work (20), Business Projects (12), Dishes (20), Laundry (16), Cleaning/Dusting/Vacuuming (24), Other Chores (24), Yard Work (8), Animal Care (60), Home Renovation (6), Auto Maintenance (6), Family Activities (12), Adventuring (6).   
    WIS +3, CHA +2  A = 380 tasks, weekly met.  Dog sitting and duck raising increased my animal care to 88, almost 3 or 4 tasks a day.  I also doubled my mentoring minimum at 19, family minimum at 23, and adventure minimum at 12.  I need to figure out a way to revamp this for better effort tracking.  Maybe make it points, 1 point for every 15 minutes (round up).  I get about 2 hours of chore time each night for a possible average of 8 points between dishes, laundry, cleaning and other chores plus animal care, which is a max of 8 points this last challenge.  Expect my family score would be around 100 points as each was around 1 hour.  I'd have to figure out where the points goal would be.  Maybe have categories scored differently, but that could be a lot of work to keep track.

INCENTIVES!  Working hard for CASH!  ($207 carried over) 

Week 0 Earned = $13;

Spent = $65 + $35 = $100; 

Earned = $40 + $20 + $14 + $10 + $22 + $0 + $4 + $4 + $32 + $12 + $10 - $130 - $0 - $20 = $18. 

Carryover = $207 + $13 - $100 + $18 = $138

REWARD 1:  For each week, I complete 80 or more tasks, I will put aside $10 to spend how I see fit. 
CONSEQUENCE 1:  For any week where I complete less than 75 tasks, I will give up $10 of saved cash.

4 x $10 = $40, weekly met.

REWARD 2:  $5 for each Business Project hour:

CONSEQUENCE 2: Lose $10 for each week without a Business Project hour.

4 x $5 = $20, weekly met.  I think I'm going to change this to Personal Projects.  Not really making any of this "business" anymore.  Making it "work" or "income" based is not my goal, so I shouldn't label it like that. 

REWARD 3:  $1 for each hour working on Jedi Training lessons.  $10 for each completed IJRS lesson.  Need to get back to the formal training at IJRS.
CONSEQUENCE 3: Lose $5 for each week without working on a Jedi Training lesson.

14 x $1 = $14, weekly met.  My Warrior 101 Summary Lesson is coming along.  I don't need it to be long for credit, but I want it to be thorough.  I spent a year away applying the lessons and I need to include everything I learned.

REWARD 4: $1 for each night of fasting after dinner.  Fruits and veggies allowed in small quantities, but no dessert or snacking.   

CONSEQUENCE 4: Lose $2 for each day without fasting.

22 x $1 + 6 x -$2 = $10

REWARD 5: $1 for each day with a small, healthy lunch. 

CONSEQUENCE:  Lose $2 for each day without a small, healthy lunch.

26 x $1 + 2 x -$2 = $22

REWARD 6: $1 for each night I brush and floss before bed.  $0 for just brushing.

CONSEQUENCE:  Lose $1 for each night I forget to brush.  Lose $2 for voluntarily skipping brushing.

15 x $1 + 11 x -$1 + 2 x -$2 = $0  This habit needs to be woven into another nightly habit to help it stick.  Getting the kids to bed would be the best since they need this healthy habit too.

BONUSES: 

Life:

• $2 for healthy grocery shopping  2 x $2 = $4
  • $2 for healthy meal prep  2 x $2 = $4
  • $2 for each Home Renovation and Auto Maintenance task.  9 x $2 + 7 x $2 = $32 WOOT!

Workout:

• $2 for each cardio session over 25 min   6 x $2 = $12
  • $10 for doubling any weekly minimum  1 x $10 = $10  (Week 1 Cardio 120 min)

PUNISHMENT:

• Lose $10 each day with weight above 151.5 lbs.  13 x -$10 = -$130  OUCH
  • Lose $5 for eating more than 2 slices of pizza in any meal.  0 x -$5 = $0
  • Lose $5 for not weighing in each morning  4 x -$5 = -$20
  • Like 1

Spoiler

World 3 is complete.  With Chiropractor, Back Pain Injection, Purple Senior, starting the new Toastmasters program called Pathways, a new Toastmasters year with less club leadership responsibility (I need to stop carrying clubs on my back to reduce my stress levels), and working to complete my Novice training at IJRS, the next challenge is going to feel like a new world.

World 4, here I come!  

• Like 1

Spoiler

18 minutes ago, JediNickD said:

LIFE:

WIS +3, CHA +2  A = 380 tasks, weekly met.  Dog sitting and duck raising increased my animal care to 88, almost 3 or 4 tasks a day.  I also doubled my mentoring minimum at 19, family minimum at 23, and adventure minimum at 12.  I need to figure out a way to revamp this for better effort tracking.  Maybe make it points, 1 point for every 15 minutes (round up).  I get about 2 hours of chore time each night for a possible average of 8 points between dishes, laundry, cleaning and other chores plus animal care, which is a max of 8 points this last challenge.  Expect my family score would be around 100 points as each was around 1 hour.  I'd have to figure out where the points goal would be.  Maybe have categories scored differently, but that could be a lot of work to keep track.

I think I'm going the opposite direction, 1 hour is a full point, then i can carve up efforts into partial points.  Dishes is usually only 5-15 minutes so 0.10 - 0.25 points.  Laundry is usually an hour.  Litter boxes, feeding animals, and other animal care are typically 5-10 min each or 0.10 - 0.20 points, but playing with the dog or cats or walking the dog is usually longer 15-60 min for 0.25 - 1.00 points. For the spreadsheet, I may have to round to one decimal to keep it easy to read and track. 

Spoiler