Josh_C's Workout, Write, and Weigh Like a Champ Challenge

Josh_C

The last six months have ushered in a new job/company, a new girlfriend, and two marathons. Needless to say, I've been a tad busy. As a result, the scale has creeped up, and my non-business productivity has creeped down. But no longer I say!! I've been working out pretty consistently the last two months, with more focus on lifting than running. I need to find the right balance since I will have to start proper marathon training again in July or so (for an as-yet-to-be-determined fall race). I'd like, for once, to start a training plan already in good running shape, so that the training will build on a base of fitness.

So, without further ado, I throw down the gauntlet and enter this challenge.

[TABLE=width: 500]

Name:

Josh_C

[/TD]

Race:

Human

Class:

Scout

Attributes:

Strength (STR)

Dexterity (DEX)

Stamina (STA)

Constitution (CON)

Wisdom (WIS)

Charisma (CHA)

Total

Goals (April 30-June 11)

Attributes

Diet & Fitness:

Lose 10 pounds

CON

CHA

Exercise 5 days a week

STR

STA

Add 30 pounds to 5 rep bench press max

STR

Lifestyle:

[TD]

Write two blog posts a week for Lawyerist

WIS

[/TABLE]

Facebook | Twitter | Blog |

"What we face may look insurmountable. But I learned something from all those years of training and competing. I learned something from all those sets and reps when I didn't think I could lift another ounce of weight. What I learned is that we are always stronger than we know." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Toby: It's going to be hard.
Josh: Then we'll do what's hard.
- The West Wing

"A good lawyer sees trouble coming from around the corner."
-Professor Tom Ross

What is your current bench, if you don't mind my asking? I'll need to add close to 30 lbs to mine if I want to meet my 20% goal, but it seems aggressive.

My current bench is about 125 for five reps. Getting to 155 is HIGHLY unlikely during this challenge. But that's why it's a challenge, eh?

"What we face may look insurmountable. But I learned something from all those years of training and competing. I learned something from all those sets and reps when I didn't think I could lift another ounce of weight. What I learned is that we are always stronger than we know." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

- The West Wing

-Professor Tom Ross

Goal: Lose 10 pounds

Result: Initial weight was 198. Final weight was 192.4 (that was from 6/9 but haven't had time to weigh since, and I doubt there was much more change). That's a total loss of 7.6. I'll take it!

Goal: Increase bench by 30LB

Result: No way. Not even close. Maybe I went up five pounds. But really I wasn't as focused on this as I could/should have been. Didn't push myself as necessary for these kinds of gains. But on a side note, I added ten pounds to my 5RM on the overhead press, my weakest lift.

Goal: Work out five times a week

Result: BOOM. Hit this one like a champ. Five times a week either in the gym or on the pavement (running).

Goal: Write two blog posts a week for Lawyerist:

Result: Somewhat win. Over the six weeks I've posted a total of 12 articles. But one week was three posts and another was only one.

Grade: B (75% - Also, where did Spezzy go to school that a B is 75%?)

[TABLE=width: 500]

Goal

Attributes Assigned

Grade

Attributes Awarded

Lose 10 Pounds

3 CHON

3 CHA

B

2.25 CHON

2.25 CHA

Increase Bench by 30 lb

3 STR

F

Work Out 5 times a Week

2 STR

2 STA

A

2 STR

2 STA

Write two blog posts a week

3 WIS

A

3 WIS

[/TABLE]

For a total of 11.5 points, plus two points for weekly challenges, totaling 13.5 points.

- The West Wing

-Professor Tom Ross

Goal: Increase bench by 30LB

Result: No way. Not even close. Maybe I went up five pounds. But really I wasn't as focused on this as I could/should have been. Didn't push myself as necessary for these kinds of gains. But on a side note, I added ten pounds to my 5RM on the overhead press, my weakest lift.

Don't feel bad, I was focused on this (benched 2x per week), and I still only upped mine 5 lbs. Nice job on everything else though!

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines