Iceburner #9: Finding the balance in mind and body

Iceburner

Previously on the Iceburner Battle Log: ...

Adiposis, the Obesity Oger, offspring of Sloth, god of the lazy, and Gluttony, goddess of the ravenous had been about to destroy this hero's happy life. But after having started to fight back, Iceburner was able to achive many victories with the help of the NF Rebellion. For a while everything was peaceful again...

...until one of many Adiposis minions, the Belly Beast, attacked him viciously. This resulted in a long and hard struggle that felt like weeks. In the end Iceburner could best him and decided to tame the Belly Beast and continue to train it as a companion to help in his fight.  

He joined also joined the Rebels Guild and participated in their Rebel Boot Camp where he managed to become an Elite Cadet. Together with them he went out on Field Training and his first mission for The Rebel Guild which they successfully finished together.

A few days later as he was on his way back to the Rebels Guild Camp a came along a small hut. There he met the Old Master that took him in as student for 4 weeks to teach and train him. Unfortunately things went sideways and training didn't progress as planned. Additionaly a time travel accident teleported him back to the Dino Age where he tried to survive with the other Rebels until they finally managed to find a way back. His master, neither happy with his progress nor his (well explained) absence told him that he 'was not ready yet' and had to leave.

So Iceburner left and continued to travel the path that would undoubtly lead him to another adventure...

to be continued...

• Like 3

Iceburner

Lvl. 7 Human, (Lvl. 5 Assassin, Lvl. 2 Rebel)

STR: 13.25 ~ DEX: 6.5 ~STA: 14.25 ~ CON: 9 ~ WIS: 15 ~ CHA: 10

Current Quest: #9 - Finding the balance in mind and body

Battle Log

Finished Quest (challenge): #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #7, #8

Aborted Quest (challenge): #6

"Kaizen!!!" 

weight loss goal (92kg -> 87kg): |----------------------->| (currently 86.3)

waist loss goal (109cm -> 94cm): |--------->____________| (currently 103)

pull-ups (0 -> 10): |->____________________| (currently 0)

push-ups (0 -> 50): |------>_______________| (currently 12)

Main Quest
Finding the balance in mind and body

Story:
As Iceburner travels on the forest suddenly opens up and he beholds a wonderful scenic landscape. The perfect place to stay and find the balance in mind and body.

landscape.gif.597cb3fbfc1946dc7d22950118573986.gif

Background:
My previous challenge didn't work out so well. Maybe I had too many goals concerning physical fitness that interfered with other physical activities I wanted to do or needed to do. Overall my goals worked against the balanced lifestyle, I actually strive for. So this challenge is all about balance.

Loot:
There are some music LPs I wanted to order and I didn't since I wanted to earn them in my previous challenge. But since I couldn't finish with an overall rating of B, I will again put this loot on the table. This time I just have finish the challenge. Extra loot will be assigned for the specific subquests.

Subquest 1 - Body Balance

dragonball_stretch.gif.76196e3ad5c1c8ce7a4d33a55d397f17.gif   dragonball_pushup.gif.0e3d0fa26f73e0e1caec5a991ab7b22e.gif  

Goal:
Balance out my physical activites and collect body points

Background:
Instead of focusing on a certain type of training, workout or physical activity. I assign points to all of them and sum them up during the challenge. The more time or energy consuming they are, the higher the points. Also I take into account how much effort it is for me to start a certain activity. Here are examples for often reoccuring activities:

- 7 minutes balance board workout +1
- 7 minutes of Wing Chun forms and / or basic exercises +1
- short push-up / pull-up workout: +2 or +4
    +2: just 4 sets of 8-12 reps
    +4: there's an additional warm-up and 20-30 seconds HI cardio in between the sets
- 20-25 minutes of riding the bike (e.g. to or back from work) +2 or +3
    +2: default
    +3: ridding in bad weather (e.g. rain)
- Body Beast workout +5
- Wing Chun training +7

Example for a good week
+14 for 2x Wing Chung training
+5 for 1x Body Beast workout
+4 for 1x riding the bike to work and back
+4 for 2x push-up workout
+2 for 2x balance board workout
+1 for 1x Wing Chun forms and basic exercises
----
+30 body points

Ratings:
A - min. of 30 points per week OR 140 body points in total
B - min. of 25 points per week OR 115 body points in total
C - min. of 18 points per week OR 88 body points in total
D - min. of 10 points per week OR 60 body points in total

Attributes:
+5 distributed on physical attributes depending on things done

Loot:
Based on the rating something to relax the muscles, e.g. day at the spa, massage...

Subquest 2 - Mental Balance

naruto_meditate.gif.0b7518d13d42f2eabcfc0de4181a3541.gif

Goal:
Clear your mind and get rid of unnessecary surfing in the internet, mind numbing mobile gaming and distracting netflix binge watching, instead enrich your knowledge and skills and read books, do online courses, do some programming, gardening, tinkering etc. and collect mental points

Background:
I waste too much time with certain 'wasteful' activites and do to little when it comes to 'enriching' mental activities. So here are my rules for this challenge:

- I will allow myself 60 minutes day of NETFLIX series or watching the news. That's 420 minutes per week.
- Every minute above that will count to a minute of 'wasteful' tasks
- starting the challenge at 0 mental points, every 'wasteful' minute will count as negative point, every 'enriching' minute counts as plus point
- I will time spend in the NF forum as positive points except when it's done during times, where I should do some important tasks
- Not using my mobile at all (for surfing or similar) at the usual places (waiting somewhere, bathroom) actually counts towards positive body points.

Ratings:
A, B, C, D but not attached to certain point range, since estimating the outcome is hard and I have to experiment with this system first

Attributes:
+5 distributed on mental attributes depending on things done

Loot:
Depending on what 'enriching' mental activity had the most impact: a new book, course, material for certain activity

Subquest 3 - Life Balance

landslideOfTasks.gif.9117099a776197c8d9a4edd2b89b110b.gif   CLEANING.gif.e07a0499f50224ec6e28d50668fd8387.gif  

Goal:
Stop procrastinating and get things done!

Background:
The number of tasks on my ToDo list grows faster than I can check things off. I'm a master procrastinator. Stop it and just do the list of tasks! Afterwards I will feel relieved and my life will be more balanced. Here's a list of things to do (masked the actual tasks by related category)

List:

1. housework

2. housework

3. IT task

4. IT task

5. IT task

6. administrative task

7. housework

8. administrative task

9. financial task

10. financial task

11. health and fitness task

12. administrative task

13. financial task

14. administrative task

15. administrative task

16. housework

17. administrative task

18. administrative task

19. administrative task

20. financial task

21. financial task

22. housework

23. housework

24. financial task

25. financial task

26. health and fitness task

27. financial task

28. IT task

29. housework

30. housework

31. IT task

32. IT task

33. IT task

34. financial task

35. financial task

36. fitness and health task

37. IT task

38. IT task

39. IT task

40. housework

41. administrative task

42. IT task

43. task in the house

44. task in the house

45. administrative task

46. fitness and health task

Ratings:
A, B, C, D but not attached to certain amount of tasks, but effort and time needed to start and execute tasks

Attributes:
+5 distributed on any kind of attributes depending on things done

Loot:

Put aside money for a new graphics card depending on what you do (TODO: assign money to tasks)

• Like 4

Iceburner

Battle Log

"Kaizen!!!" 

Thanks Blethan :):D

• Like 1

Iceburner

Battle Log

"Kaizen!!!" 

Great challenge! You got this, Iceburner!! 

I have a lot of trouble with mindless mobile gaming. Luckily for me it's pretty easy to delete a game if I catch myself playing it too much, so I still allow myself to download games if they look interesting. I usually end up getting rid of them pretty quick. The only games I've kept for longer than a month are Osmos, Solitaire, and Sudoku, all of which have been on my phone for several years now. 

Surfing the internet, on the other hand, is a major weakness and a huge timesuck that I do not do a good job of moderating... at all... If you figure out the secret to that one, please let me know! 

• Like 2

Ah, Solitaire and Sudoku, the all time classics :) I always keep the Sudoku as a backup game for emergencies :D

Regarding the internet thingy... I'm at work and I'm writing this, so I haven't found the secret of moderation yet. ;)

• Like 2

Iceburner

Battle Log

"Kaizen!!!" 

OK, off to a good start.

- Saturday I started to check off one item from my to do list. While I could have done more probably, I decided to have a nice weekend: Played volleyball with some friends on Saturday, took my wife and my bicycle to an ice cream parlor Sunday and after that we biked through the city park to a lake and enjoyed the nice weather. So I'm ready for the challenge now! :)

- Just watched the news and some commentary this morning while doing some Wing Chun Forms and having a breakfast smoothie. A good start into the day

- Deleted one game completely from my mobile and waited until my first break today to play a 5 minute game on my mobile. Resisted to do that several time during the day already, nice!

- Apart from some Wing Chun Forms (1+ body point) I did a 10 minute QiGong session (+1 body point)

- There's supposed to be a storm coming today, so no riding the bike...

Feeling good :)

• Like 2

Iceburner

Battle Log

"Kaizen!!!" 

Your challenge looks really good. I don't have much of an issue with the mobile gaming (I think I might have 3 games on my phone, which are mainly for the "okay, kids have been good but we are still waiting, so here" moments.

Sounds like you are off to a great start. Keep it up.

• Like 2

Current Challenge ---> Bean Si Vs Chaos No energy for a title

You are never too old to set another goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

Mmmh. Don't know If I should note down everything here, but where else? Just don't read it if you get bored, please.

No more body points for today, but I just want to note down the mental points:

- 50 for mobile gaming and wasteful internet surfing. Haven't timed it exactly and I after a few minutes I actually noticed, that I started browsing when initially I was looking for specific information on the net.

+ 20 for online course on Android programming

+ 45 for reading  book  during the commute

+ 15 for not using the mobile at the usual places

So + 30 points for today, nice!

Additionally managed to tick off list item 6 and 13 today :)

• Like 1

Iceburner

Battle Log

"Kaizen!!!" 

9 hours ago, Tateman said:

Good luck. I have a huge to do list to get through as well. I almost made it a goal this challenge haha. What course are you doing for android programming? 

Hi and thanks. I do a course on https://www.udemy.com/ . It's a German one and so far the Trainer seems to know what he's doing. Also he communicates very clearly. But I just started with it.

I see you have a new profile pic. Looks good. :)

• Like 2

Iceburner

Battle Log

"Kaizen!!!" 

Sometimes it may help that if one of your goals is 'read books' or 'enrich your knowledge and skills' is to make yourself be more specific and perhaps decide on a couple of titles or a specific area. I sort of want to do something similar (tend to end up wandering around news channels which don't always enhance my life) so decided to do a free on- line open university course about weather (just an example,). Having found it and committed to it means that when I find myself drifting off into time wasting, I can do a short bit of the course, which leaves me feeling more upbeat (as well as helping me know more about weather... Always helpful when helping with fieldwork from a tent!!!!!!!)

Good luck with your challenges

• Like 3

*eatting popcorn and says with a full mouth

“ooh this is gonna be good!”

This Storyline is gonna have a happy ending! 

Good luck!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

"One should eat to live, not live to eat." -Molaire-

"People always forget their hangover" -My dear ol' dad

"People are born to live, while some are born to evolve." 

15 hours ago, Iceburner said:

Mmmh. Don't know If I should note down everything here, but where else? Just don't read it if you get bored, please.

I look at the challenges as "my space to use as I need" if that means using it for daily logging, then that works, if not, use as it will help for you.

If someone doesn't want to read it, they can scroll on. This is your space to use as YOU need it.

15 hours ago, Iceburner said:

No more body points for today, but I just want to note down the mental points:

- 50 for mobile gaming and wasteful internet surfing. Haven't timed it exactly and I after a few minutes I actually noticed, that I started browsing when initially I was looking for specific information on the net.

+ 20 for online course on Android programming

+ 15 for not using the mobile at the usual places

So + 30 points for today, nice!

Additionally managed to tick off list item 6 and 13 today :)

Sounds like you had a good day in general, and ticking things off the list is always a great feeling. Good luck.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rainelf said:

Sometimes it may help that if one of your goals is 'read books' or 'enrich your knowledge and skills' is to make yourself be more specific and perhaps decide on a couple of titles or a specific area. I sort of want to do something similar (tend to end up wandering around news channels which don't always enhance my life) so decided to do a free on- line open university course about weather (just an example,). Having found it and committed to it means that when I find myself drifting off into time wasting, I can do a short bit of the course, which leaves me feeling more upbeat (as well as helping me know more about weather... Always helpful when helping with fieldwork from a tent!!!!!!!)

Good luck with your challenges

You're right of course, but I had already certain books and courses in mind, but didn't want exclude other books or courses. Here is what I had planned:

books:

Fear -The friend of exceptional people, by Geoff Thompsson  , interesting read on fear as natural response of our body and how we can handle and live with it.

Immensee, by Theodor Storm , one of the books I found on my book shelf that I should have read in school (but never did ;) ). So far I'm not too moved by the story...

Das Gold von Caxamalca, by Jakob Wassermann , another one from the good old high school times. Actually I might have read that, because it seems familiar. The story is a fictionalized account of the Spanish Conquistador Pizarro's kidnapping, ransom, and murder of the Inca king Atahuallpa. Interesting for people who want to learn German according one of the reviewers on Amazon.

courses:

Android Training on Udemy

QiGong course on Udemy

IT Security and Ethical Hacking course on Udemy

2 hours ago, Butternut said:

*eatting popcorn and says with a full mouth

“ooh this is gonna be good!”

This Storyline is gonna have a happy ending! 

Good luck!

:D Thanks, I think so too. :)

41 minutes ago, Bean Sidhe said:

I look at the challenges as "my space to use as I need" if that means using it for daily logging, then that works, if not, use as it will help for you.

If someone doesn't want to read it, they can scroll on. This is your space to use as YOU need it.

Sounds like you had a good day in general, and ticking things off the list is always a great feeling. Good luck.

Haha, yes, I know that you know about huge lists and how it feels to tick things off :D

And you're right as well. I don't have a problem with using all the space I need, but I'm worried, that I won't find all my entries, when I want to sum up my week.

So I will create 1 post that I use and edit for the balance quest and it will be right...

• Like 2

Iceburner

Battle Log

"Kaizen!!!" 

...here! [emoji3]

week 1 Balance log:

Monday

Body Points:

10 minutes of Wing Chun Forms +1

10 minute QiGong session +1

Mental Points:

mobile gaming and wasteful internet surfing  - 50

online course on Android programming  + 20

reading  book  during the commute  + 45

not using the mobile at the usual places  + 15

ticked off items:

6 and 13

Tuesday

Body Points:

7 minutes of Balance Board +1

20 minutes riding the bike to work +2

15 minutes of QiGong at work +1

20 minutes riding the bike from work +2

Wing Chun training +7

Mental Points:

mobile gaming and wasteful internet surfing  - 30

not using the mobile at the usual places  + 10

meditating +10

aaaaaahhhhhhhh, it happened again: wasteful internet surfing  - 30

online course mobile development +15

mobile gaming -20

ticked off items:

item 14

Wednesday

Body Points:

20 minutes riding the bike from work +2

riding to and back from training +1

Wing Chun training +7

Mental Points:

not using mobile while waiting +7

mobile gaming -26

meditating +10

mobile gaming -18

ticked off items:

---

Thursday

Body Points:

FITnow (15 min workout session at work) +1

Mental Points:

mobile gaming -10

reading during commute +15

mobile gaming -20

reading at home +20

ticked off items:

ticked off things not on list

Friday

Body Points:

Mental Points:

mobile gaming -7

wasteful internet surfing  - 30

online course: mobile apps +20

wasteful surfing -10

mobile gaming -5

online course: mobile apps +35

mobile gaming -18

ticked off items:

---

Saturday

Body Points:

7 minutes of Wing Chun forms +1

at least 3 hours of walking during a day of sightseeing +5

Mental Points:

Mobile Gaming -16

Mobile gaming -18

ticked off items:

---

Sunday

Body Points:

7 minutes of Wing Chun forms +1

push-up workout +3

1 hour of walking +1

Mental Points:

mobile gaming -12

Mobile Gaming -24

ticked off items:

task 2

• Like 1

Iceburner

Battle Log

"Kaizen!!!" 

10 hours ago, Iceburner said:

Hi and thanks. I do a course on https://www.udemy.com/ . It's a German one and so far the Trainer seems to know what he's doing. Also he communicates very clearly. But I just started with it.

I see you have a new profile pic. Looks good. :)

Thanks :)  I might have to look around for some similar classes. I haven't programmed anything, but wanted to start lookign into it.

• Like 2
22 hours ago, Iceburner said:

Haha, yes, I know that you know about huge lists and how it feels to tick things off :D

And you're right as well. I don't have a problem with using all the space I need, but I'm worried, that I won't find all my entries, when I want to sum up my week.

So I will create 1 post that I use and edit for the balance quest and it will be right...

See I never remember to sum up my week, so I just do the daily updates. And my spreadsheet has a rolling average that tells me where I am for the whole challenge.

• Like 1

week 1 summary:

Monday

Body Points: +2

Mental Points: +30

ticked off items: #6 and #13

Tuesday

Body Points: +13

Mental Points: -45

ticked off items: #14

Wednesday

Body Points: +12

Mental Points: -27

ticked off items: ---

Thursday

Body Points: +1

Mental Points: +5

ticked off items: ---

Friday

Body Points: +5

Mental Points: -15

Saturday

Body Points: +6

Mental Points: -34

Sunday

Mental Points: -26

ticked off items: #2

Overall:

Body Points: +44

Mental Points: -112

ticked off items: 4 items

- Body Balance: I reached and exceeded my goal for the body points. So yay me! :) 

- Mental Balance: Did well in the beginning of the week and could balance gaming and i-net surfing with some reading, meditating and online courses. Have to keep surfing in check though. For the last days we got friends from Stockholm over, so spending time reading was much harder while sneaking in some mobile gaming for 2-3 minutes was much easier. Therefore I don't give myself a hard time here. Additionally I did a good job on tracking the gaming and surfing.

- Life balance: managed 4 items which is not really good, but since I did work on other important tasks that had to be done and where not on the list, I'm also ok with my small achievements.

Looking forward to week 2! 

B)

• Like 3

Iceburner

Battle Log

"Kaizen!!!" 

Thanks Bean [emoji4]

So here I'll add the  progress for week 2:

Monday

Body Points:

Wing Chun Forms +1

1h of walking during sightseeing in Ulm +2

Mental Points:

mobile gaming -30

meditating +10

reading +35

ticked off items:

deleted #32

Tuesday

Body Points:

2h Beach Volleyball +6

Mental Points:

Mobile Gaming -15

Netflix -60

Mobile Gaming -25

Ticked off item:

Wednesday:

Body Points:

10 Minutes Wing Chun Forms +1

Tabata Push-up Workout +2

Wing Chung training +7

Mental Points:

mobile gaming -12

reding while commuting +20

thinking while waiting +10

reading on commute +15

mobile gaimng -13

Ticked off items:

---

Thursday:

Body Points:

Wing Chun Training +7

short tabata workout +2

Mental Points:

mobile gaming -17

thinking while waiting +8

reading on the bus +20

surfing when I shouldn't -20

thinking while waiting +15

reading on the bus +15

mobile gaming -23

reading in bed +10

Ticked off items:

---

Friday:

Body Points:

---

Mental Points:

mobile gaming -30

thinking while waiting +10

reading on bus+20 

Ticked off items:

---

Saturday:

Body Points:

Body Beast workout +5

Mental Points:

mobile gaming -12 

Netflix binge watching -210

mobile gaming -30

Ticked off items:

items #11, #16 

Sunday:

Body Points:

Wing Chun forms +1

Tabata workout +2

Body Beast Abs +2

20 minutes of Riding the bike to Avengers -Infinity Wars +2

20 minutes of Riding the bike home +2

Mental Points:

mobile gaming -42

Ticked off items:

---

• Like 1

Iceburner

Battle Log

"Kaizen!!!" 

I love everything about how you structure your quests. From the story element to the points system to how you reward yourself, it's all so good! 

F5756EBE861FE1DAC28D107877DAA40A6F74394B

I have sudoku on my phone too! It's my favorite type of puzzle, so I'll load one up when I'm bored sometimes.

On 4/23/2018 at 4:59 PM, Iceburner said:

Where I live, there's no public busses or subways or anything. You have to drive or walk/bike everywhere. So when I read this, my mind immediately assumed you were giving yourself points for reading while driving and I was like "omg NO don't do that!" lmao

• Like 3
8 hours ago, LightMotif said:

I love everything about how you structure your quests. From the story element to the points system to how you reward yourself, it's all so good! 

Where I live, there's no public busses or subways or anything. You have to drive or walk/bike everywhere. So when I read this, my mind immediately assumed you were giving yourself points for reading while driving and I was like "omg NO don't do that!" lmao

Thanks, LightMotif :)

To avoid giving you a heart attack I changed from 'reading while commuting' to 'reading on the bus'. :D

1 hour ago, Tateman said:

Some good + points in there :)

Thanks, Tateman. Yes, while my friends from Stockholm visited me I wasn't able to do any big physical workouts, but I could make up for it since we did a lot of sightseeing on foot. Then I met with other friends and played Beach Volleyball on Tuesday. Another + for my body points AND I socialized.

But I forgot to stretch afterwards which I normally do after workouts. So a lot of muscles in my leg feel tight and stiff and make me want to NOT move. But I know that's actually the best way to get rid of the stiffness. So my next workout will probably be a leg workout to really heat up the muscles and get them moving and afterwards there will be thorough stretching!

stretchPolarBear.gif.535990c49ca24c077375389175072bf2.gif

• Like 3

Iceburner

Battle Log

"Kaizen!!!" 

Summary week 2

Monday

Body Points: +3

Mental Points: +15

ticked off items: deleted #32

Tuesday

Body Points: +6

Mental Points: -100

Ticked off item: #3

Wednesday:

Body Points: +10

Mental Points: +20

Ticked off items: ---

Thursday:

Body Points: +9

Mental Points: -22

Friday:

Body Points: ---

Mental Points: +- 0

Saturday

Mental Points: -252

Ticked off items: #11, #16 

Sunday:

Body Points: +9

Mental Points: -42

Summary:

Body Points: +42, nice! 

Mental Points: - 381, a new negative record 

Ticked off items: 3 items

Physically I do what I committed to do. Mentally I'm way, way, way too far in the negative zone. To a big part thanks to binge watching "Happy!" on Netflix on Saturday. While during the day I managed well to get a lot of work done in and around the house, after dinner I just couldn't get away from the TV anymore. I should reduce a bit more on the mobile gaming as well. But having said that things are more under control then they where before this challenge. Still, I need to put my focus here it seems.  

Regarding my todo list I managed to tick of incoming new tasks as fast as possible to be able to get back to the listed ones. Currently I am working on a big one that takes a lot of time to finish, but I am happy with my progress.

• Like 2

Iceburner

Battle Log

"Kaizen!!!"