Lady of the Bog: Sweats Like an Orc, Lives like a Hobbit, and (hopes to) Look like an Elf

Hello world! I'm excited to log my fitness journey. I want to be accountable and I want to share. Life has gotten off the rails lately and I want to get in charge of my now. Thank you for stopping by!

April 19th

Start of my journey. Here we go. Let's keep this up. Attached is me today!

Today, I'm running about 2 miles to and fro the playground with my daughter, Rowan. I'm going to try to do tonight some at home booty body weight exercises. I lifted yesterday. It's a deload week and I had a lovely time at the gym. Still getting the courage up to take my daughter to the daycare there- I'm freaked out about the cesspool of germs no doubt layering every surface there. We shall see!

Trying to decide whether I want to track my macros. In the past, it has contributed to some disordered eating to be frank. I'm in this to help get my mind healthy as much as my body. I've been struggling w/ depression and w/ the introduction of some pharmacological intervention as well as conscious choices and mindfulness I've been feeling a lot better. I eat pretty healthy, snack a bit because of the mom lifestyle. I meal prep for my husband's lunches, toddler food for my little 13 month old bundle of joy. I'd like to start meal prepping more for myself, too.

xxoo

QUEST

• Hobbit frame of mind
    • daily walks/runs outside w/ the pooch, baby Rowbug, and possibly husband (if I can convince him)
    • weekly hike
    • weekly dinner w/ in laws, my parents, and friends
      • finishing permitting for the TINY HOME!!
  • Fitness life
    • GYM 3x/week (continue Strong by Bret program
      • Hip thrust 3x10: 155p in one month
      • squat 3x3: 145p in one month
    • Run x2 week w/ family
  • Elven Studies
    • lecture/reading x2 per week

IMG_0212.JPG

• Like 3

Daily Battle Log, Sweat like an Orc, Live like a Hobbit, and Look like an Elf

“As the Wheel of Time turns, places wear many names. Men wear many names, many faces. Different faces, but always the same man. Yet no one knows the Great Pattern the Wheel weaves, or even the Pattern of an Age. We can only watch, and study, and hope.”  Robert Jordan, The Eye of the World

Run completed! And the sun is out :)

• Like 1

“As the Wheel of Time turns, places wear many names. Men wear many names, many faces. Different faces, but always the same man. Yet no one knows the Great Pattern the Wheel weaves, or even the Pattern of an Age. We can only watch, and study, and hope.”  Robert Jordan, The Eye of the World

Day Two:

The sun is out in the Pacific Northwest and suddenly life feels full again! This sun is like liquid gold. AHHH!! Gymward I went this AM. Felt good, didn't hit any PRs but I'm not going full at it right now (technically a deload week). My bench press has room for improvement because 1) I avoid it 2) I'm scared of it, frankly. Going to start working it in

Plan to go on a walk to the playground today with a friend and my little Rowboat (13 months!) plus a few walks w/ the doggo. I'm excited to be doing the Walk to Mordor challenge! I have this dream that 9 friends would go on a backpacking trip out to a mountain and a lake at which we would fling a ring, cross towns and wild country. It'd be fun!

<3  I think I'll casually log my meals in myfitness pal? I think I may not be getting enough protein due to my vegetarianism and that I often graze through meals taking care of my daughter.

<3  Listened to lecture on hyperbilirubinemia in the newborn last night while my husband played... a videogame that I forget. It makes it easier to study at night when he's doing his own thing. I started a new fantasy novel, Night Goddess, too. Baby girl woke up x4.  I really don't want to do sleep training and the fact that I am breastfeeding and predominately the one who cares for her at night (I work only 16 hours/week whereas my husband works full time plus consultant work) means that she wants me a lot for comfort. I go to sleep very early by adult standards (usually 9 PM but often 930 PM) so it working out okay. Eventually she'll sleep through the night??

I'm going to California next week! Staying at a friend's beach house to visit friends and family. I look forward to beach time! Running on the beach and playing with Rowbug in the sand. Glorious!

Lifts are as follows:

• Sumo Deadlift 5 x 3 (115 p)
  • Bench Press 5 x 3 (75 p)
  • Db Bulgarian Split Squat 3 x 6 (40 p)
  • Elbows Out DB Row 3 x 10 (40p )
    • superset w/ regular DB Row (40 p)
  • Seated Hip Abduction 3 x 20 ( 115 p)
  • Side Plank 2 x 40 seconds
  • Like 2

you seem to be doing great. keep it up!

perfection is the enemy of the good, so don't beat yourself up if you don't get EXACTLY the right meal/workout/etc. Close enough is good enough. 

my journey to kickass-dom

E1RM: SQ: 130.9kg (Jul18); BP: 103.2kg (Aug18); DL: 150kg (Jun18); 
FSQ: 103.2kg (May18); OHP: 66.9kg (Dec17); PP: 72.5kg (Jul18)
2.4km/Cooper's Test: (10:22, Jun18)
Vitals: 40 yo, 1.7m, 74kg (Jul18)

12 hours ago, godjira1 said:

you seem to be doing great. keep it up!

perfection is the enemy of the good, so don't beat yourself up if you don't get EXACTLY the right meal/workout/etc. Close enough is good enough. 

hey! thank you! good eye for recognizing the recovering perfectionist here!

Day 3

I'm resisting the urge to make this a log of sleep (but if you are curious, last night up 3x)! I worked today and had a few gratitudes from that: 1) a saw a patient an hour out of town and the drive was beautiful. i love the Oregon countryside 2) I did a dressing change w/ another nurse. It was nice to work in a team again. I didn't think I'd miss the camaraderie between nurses (and some mds) on my unit when I lived in Texas and worked at the hospital. I'm beginning to realize that a lot of my feelings of sadness are tied to that loss of my work people. I was super close with them all and I miss them. I'm finding it helpful to be curious about my inner life rather than judgmental, observing rather than appraising. That's a gift I'm going to take from this.

SWEAT: I didn't lift today but did 15 minutes of yoga. I used to do yoga daily and it was a nice practice. I usually only did 15 minutes, sometimes 30 but it was centering. I'd like to get back to that.  I also went on a walk with my husband and babyroo to a park. I feel like I'm pestering him to go running with me but I also remember how much he loved it just a few years ago and I love running with him. He injured himself awhile back doing sprints in a park while in MOSCOW IN THE WINTER and now I think he's freaked out about exacerbating it. I get it but I find myself bothering him about it still... another thing to work on!

Hobbit Life: I'm killing at the whole have friends/family over for dinner thing. We went over to my in-laws for dinner on Thursday. I had my friend over for dinner last night and my dad came over tonight. I love hosting and feeding people. Felt good.

The house is clean, babies asleep. Candles are lit. Everything is cozy and fresh. Now to watch a little of the new Lost in Space in Netflix with my darlin. I'm actually embarrassingly into it!

xxoo

Photo from earlier today when the home was *not* clean 26910400_826267401438_8217435768896297299_o.thumb.jpg.68c921b7730fed97e5e69e049a9988f9.jpg

• Like 1

Day 4

Finished my visits today early so I went to the gym for lift day a in my rotation. I'll be in California next week and I'm not sure exactly about my schedule/gym access. There is a 24 in the adjacent town and my friend gave me a pass to her Y while there. I do know I'll be running because I can take my daughter with me on runs and there are fantastic places to run where we are staying.

I killed it at the gym. PRed for post-baby inadvertently at dead lift because I just felt strong. I don't know how my broken sleep is effecting my progress. Baby girl was up x3 again last night. I feel rested but my fitbit gives me a just terrible vision of my nighttime sleep adventures. I've noticed I'm leaning out over the past few weeks but I'm more interested in this point of improving my lifts, my mental clarity, and, aesthetically, growing my shoulder caps and glutes. We shall see...

• Conventional dead lift (5x3): 145 p
  • bench press dumbbell (3x10): 50 p
  • goblet squat reverse lunge (3x10 each side): 40 p
  • bent over row (3x10): 60 p
  • knee-banded dumbbell hip thrust (3x20): 45 p

I saw a friend and her girlfriend  randomly while out on nurse visits today. She invited me to a bridge party which sounds like a lot of fun. I didn't know bridge parties were a thing but I'm in full support of it. I don't know if I can go due to baby care but I am thinking that hobbits are generally down for merrymaking....

QUEST

• Hobbit frame of mind
    • daily walks/runs outside w/ the pooch, baby Rowbug, and possibly husband (if I can convince him)
    • weekly hike
  • Fitness life
    • Run x2 week w/ family
  • Elven Studies

Image-1.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, _riotgrrrl_ said:

*Footage from hobbit bridge party*

5add1aabb62c4_giphy(1).gif.747e2cd976db2cf391940503c5b55df4.gif

eeiiii, i love you for this. seriously could watch this all day probably. man, frodo is so pretty

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Elastigirl said:

I didn't realize yoyu were a fellow PNWesterner. I'm in Washington. Great job on the weights and walks/runs.

Woot woot! have you gotten this blessed sunny weather??? it's like a revelation!

24 minutes ago, ladyofthebog said:

Woot woot! have you gotten this blessed sunny weather??? it's like a revelation!

Yes, and it is supposed to be sunny all week! I was so tired of the rain.

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Day 5

Hobbit Life: Today, half over so far, has been a trying day with the little hobbit. it was turned around, however, by a midday bath (the child got pickled pepper juice all over her...). I went to Target and Carters to pick up some provisions for our California trip and the girl was hooting and happy but would not stay in arms, would not stay in shopping cart, wanted only to explore the great lands of Target on her knees, crawling. She's pointing now and it just delights me.  it's accompanied with a loquacious outpouring these days of "dahs" "mas" and generally adorable burbling. It is also accompanied by a need for FREEEEEEDOM.

Sweat: Went on a short run with the pooch and the baby. Thank you sunlight for inspiration and the extra oomph to inspire keeping w/ these goals.

i plan on doing a trader joes haul when i get into town for vacation so hopefully i'll stay eating healthy. I also plan on a hike in california to meet the weekly hike goal.

I may not be posting as much of my log due to the vacation house we are staying at lacking WIFI. I am concerned that I won't be able to keep w/ my lift 3x/week goal as my access to a gym might be sketch. I have a multistate 24 hour fitness club and there is one a little far from where we'll be. We shall see! If I can't get to the gym, I commit to doing at home workouts. I'm taking pics of the home workouts from Strong Curves to take with me.

thank you for those following along. it's incredibly motivating to have people involved in my goals.

xxoo

• Like 2

Home workouts can be really demanding! :D There are thousands variations out there, I'm sure you'll find something useful to you during your vacation when access to gym can be problematic :)

Keep up the good work! :)

• Like 1

Training logs | Monthly updates

Player stats (as of 18.06.2018):

Weight: 68.4kg (150.8 lbs)

BMI: 22.9

Muscle mass: 56.2kg  (123.9lbs, around 82% of body mass)

Body fat: 14.8%

Circumferences:

- Chest: 84cm (33 inches)

- Belly: 82.5cm (32.5 inches)

- Buttocks: 91cm (35.8 inches)

- Thigh: 52cm (20.5 inches)

- Bicep: 30cm (11.8 inches)

On 4/23/2018 at 3:26 PM, _riotgrrrl_ said:

Here with a copy of SC if you need to look up anything in more detail. Sounds like you and the babies are having a great time. Enjoy your vacation!

man, i should have taken you up on this. i kept on needing to go to to the road to get internet access! how's the gluteal goddess going?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ladyofthebog said:

how's the gluteal goddess going?

I'm so hungry! Going up to maintenance calories was definitely the right thing to do. Heavier weights for lower reps means my workouts are shorter, AND I'm able to increase the big lifts by a significant amount each time. I'm finally using bumper plates for deadlifts like a big girl!

How was your vacation?

Day 13

Crap day today. The vacation was lovely. I saw a lot of family and friends. My daughter was so stoked on the beach, really a joy. I ran a lot but didn't go to the gym as I had hoped. It was just too much of a production and I was booked up the entire time seeing friends. I wrote more in my challenge thread about it when I was in a more positive frame of mind and even included some pictures of baby goats (very hobbiton!).

Had a disagreement w/ my husband. So, I had planned to go the gym while my daughter was over at my in laws but I've spent the afternoon being mopey instead. Tomorrow is a new day! We shall see what it brings.

This thread is more like a journal these days. I need to get back to lifting!

10 hours ago, _riotgrrrl_ said:

I'm so hungry! Going up to maintenance calories was definitely the right thing to do. Heavier weights for lower reps means my workouts are shorter, AND I'm able to increase the big lifts by a significant amount each time. I'm finally using bumper plates for deadlifts like a big girl!

How was your vacation?

Ooh! Congratulations! You’ll be piling on those plates no doubt. I like lifting heavy, too. It’s just so much more gratifying. 

Vacation was just glorious. How I would love to live next to the Pacific again!

• Like 1

Day 14

Substantially better day today so far. My husband and I talked it through. I find the durable quality to marriage inspiring and the vulnerability it engenders the root of the root and the bud of the bud (as e e cummings puts it).

I've gone on a walk w/ the babe and dog. I'll be at the gym post-baby bedtime and I feel ready to lift. I've meal prepped, whipped the house in order, well partially. We're attempting the Sleep Lady Shuffle on the babe - last night night 1 and it went pretty okay?

I made plans for dinner w/ the in-laws later this week. I should get back to my lecture and am on target for my Elven Studies. I need to work a hike in somewhere... tomorrow might work?

I'll try to update my lifts later tonight or, more likely, tomorrow.

Day 14 Addendum

Murdered it at the gym tonight. It felt FANTASTIC. I listened to Garbage and it got me nostalgic to when I was a young thing studying and working in Russia drinking too much vodka and running around late into the night. I was such a wild thing!

Back Squat (3x5) @ 135p (nice because I'm squatting my weight but I felt super weak w/ these)

Hip Thrust w/ pause (3x10) @ 175 (I blasted through my quest goal of 155 p!! felt strong w/ it too)

Military press (3x8-6) 50 p (felt weak with these too and failed to get to 8 reps the final set, 25 p dumbbells)

so... I did a pump w/ alternating lateral raises at 3x10 w/ 8 pound dumbbells

Lying Leg curl (3x10) 50 p

Hip abductor (3x12) 160 p

I just feel great now and exhausted. ALSO: dude, that sleep lady shuffle knows her beans. The babe fell asleep upon entering crib w/o so much a peep tonight! She'll probably wake up a few times tonight but improvement!!

xxoo

Day 15

Beautiful spring day today. Spent a lot of the day outside in the sun. I want to make it an intention to celebrate the seasons and their passing more intentionally.

Hobbit Life: Went over the yard where we are going to be living next year and started preliminary garden plans. There is a lot of shade which is too bad for vegetable growing but following the sun I found some patches that will work. Plus, the shade will be GLORIOUS when it inevitably heats up this summer. I had dinner over at my in laws house and it was a lot of fun. I took the daughter and the dog for a few walks today, one short and one long.

Sweat: No lifting today and didn't run. I wanted to rest my legs after my lifts the night before. Tomorrow is another lift day and I'm hoping I can get my dad to watch my daughter for a few hours so my husband and I can go the gym together.

QUEST:

• Hobbit frame of mind
    • weekly hike
  • Sweat Like an Orc
    • Run x2 week w/ family
  • Elven Studies
  • Like 1

Day 16

Lifted today. Didn't feel terribly motivated but glad that I logged it in.

• Sumo Deadlift 5 x 3 (145 pounds)1
  • Bench Press 3 x 5 (75 p but w/ better form! had my husband instruct me)
  • Db Bulgarian Split Squat 3 x 6 (50 p, felt super easy could have gone up w/ weight)
  • Elbows Out DB Row 3 x 10 (40p )
    • superset w/ regular DB Row (40 p)
  • Seated Hip Abduction 3 x 20 ( 160 p)
  • Side Plank 2 x 40 seconds

I went up w/ all my weight this week with the exclusion of bench press so I am pretty happy with the day in terms of workout.

xxoo

• Like 2