OMG... so. many. people here!

Hey, Rebels!  Usually, I say "peopIe", but this seems to suit.  I've been hittin' up Nerd Fitness for inspiration and info for over 18 months and had no idea these boards existed.  (Yeah, I'm a little slow sometimes.)  I'm amazed how many people are on here and it's fabulous!  So many brains to pick and learn from.  *happy clap* 

Oh, yeah.  The intro.  'Kay:   40-ish female that started going to the local gym to keep a friend company in 2016.  I figured I didn't feel good moving anyway and I got winded just climbing a dozen stairs in my house (which was super ridiculous considering I used to run half marathons and even did a 19 km stair challenge that had 3000 stairs in it before I parked my butt on the couch for a year or two.)  Anyway, you know the story: friend quits and I keep going.  Got tired of machines about 4 or 5 months in and started surfing for information.  Found NF, the free articles, and then Staci's story...  (I seriously want to be her when I grow up.  Hang on, gotta fangirl for a moment.)  I was at about 200 lbs...  okay, 203 lbs but I've lost about 30 lbs so far and seem stalled there.  I'm working on my eating habits (to Paleo or not to Paleo...) and the jeans are still saying I'm okay so that's good.  Started using the dumbbells and then worked up the courage to try the barbell and I've gone from just the empty bar to 150 lbs on my deadlift over the past year or so.  Next goal: deadlift my own weight.  Whether I get to that by losing weight or getting stronger, I'm happy either way.  With the threat of spring, I'm trying to work up the motivation to get back out on the road without burning myself out.  

Gotta say though: I love that badass feeling after you push that bar over your head (even if it's empty) or haul 88% of your body weight off the floor and rep it.  *insert She-Ra here*

• Like 2

Welcome! I love it when 40 ish women start working on being strong. Seems like for some reason our generation (though now I'm 50 ish) is more reluctant than the younger crowd.

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Welcome! I love it when 40 ish women start working on being strong. Seems like for some reason our generation (though now I'm 50 ish) is more reluctant than the younger crowd.
Me too! There's another girl at the gym that I see often who does a lot of strength training. One of these days I'll work up the courage to chat to her.

Sent from my BBD100-2 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Hey! :D

Good job on finding the forum, I'm glad you did it. Hope you'll find your place here :)

Training logs | Monthly updates

Player stats (as of 18.06.2018):

Weight: 68.4kg (150.8 lbs)

BMI: 22.9

Muscle mass: 56.2kg  (123.9lbs, around 82% of body mass)

Body fat: 14.8%

Circumferences:

- Chest: 84cm (33 inches)

- Belly: 82.5cm (32.5 inches)

- Buttocks: 91cm (35.8 inches)

- Thigh: 52cm (20.5 inches)

- Bicep: 30cm (11.8 inches)

On 4/19/2018 at 3:33 PM, MissMeggie said:

Found NF, the free articles, and then Staci's story...  (I seriously want to be her when I grow up.  Hang on, gotta fangirl for a moment.)

Staci has inspired SO many of us over the last few years to try tough things and become stronger women (and men!). Did you know she's on the boards too?

@spezzy, we're talking about you and your fabulousness again!!  :D )

On 4/19/2018 at 3:33 PM, MissMeggie said:

Started using the dumbbells and then worked up the courage to try the barbell and I've gone from just the empty bar to 150 lbs on my deadlift over the past year or so.  Next goal: deadlift my own weight.  Whether I get to that by losing weight or getting stronger, I'm happy either way.  With the threat of spring, I'm trying to work up the motivation to get back out on the road without burning myself out.  

This inspires me so much! I'm still in the dumbbell phase and have wanted to try barbells for a few months now - was there any special "trick" to switching to barbell? Did you start with just an empty bar, or did you have plates on it right away?

SKY ELVENWORD NOBLEHEART

The Silver Archer, Ranger Level 53

Jesus-follower | Writer | Encourager | Resident Myers-Briggs and Enneagram Geek 

"Knowing that we can be loved exactly as we are gives us all the best opportunity for growing into the healthiest of people." - Fred Rogers

Hey Skygirl. I started watching videos on technique and then used the PVC tubing and some weighted exercise bars to start. My gym has them from 9 to 24 lbs. So I used those before I tried the empty barbell to make sure I had the motion down first. Was so awesome when I finally put plates on it!

Just go for it. You will walk out of the gym feeling like a million bucks. d84cf70f91ebf4fa6cab3ee7d0e61787.jpg

Sent from my BBD100-2 using Tapatalk

• Like 1