Hi all. I'm a 42-year-old woman who just joined the Nerd Fitness Academy and these forums.

I joined this not in a great place. I'm 2000 miles from home, back in my hometown, visiting my ailing father, away from my husband and children.

Something about seeing my dad in his failing health served as a wake-up call to me. He's in his late 70s and has crippling back problems that require constant care.  He actually was pretty good about taking care of his health, but it made me self-reflect.. I'm about 65 lbs overweight right now and I'm not getting any younger. I'm achy and feeling middle-age creep in, and this trip has made me really consider my own mortality. Even if I'm blessed with a long life, I'll end up in my father's position eventually, and I realized I'm not doing nearly enough to delay that eventuality. And there's a lot I want to do.  I want to hike more, and travel, and I even have a fantasy about through-hiking the Appalachian Trail when I retire. At this rate, with my weight and hint of associated health problems, how will I realize that goal?

A friend of mine who is always pushing Beachbody stuff is doing another challenge and I almost clicked her to join her.. I've done it before but I stopped and thought: "it didn't stick then, what would make it stick this time?" Of course, I realize, I truly do not find the 'fitness culture' remotely appealing. Tight shredded bodies in bright workout attire pumpin' to the music with inspirational words about how great you'll look this summer.. meh. The honest truth is, I don't really even care about the size of my pants or what I look like in a swimsuit. I'm fat and happy with a happy husband, and I'm never going to buy in to the hype. Never. In fact, I find the hype tiresome. Mostly, I wan to avoid getting type II diabetes, take longer hikes with more energy, and not feel like such a fatass in airplane seats. That's it.

So I actually Googled to see if there's a fitness community without the 'fitness culture'. And I found this. Lifelong nerd here. I was playing Dungeons and Dragons before it was cool, and met my husband at a college Sci-Fi & Fantasy Club.

So fine, dude. Take my money. Let's see if this place can help me get my life game on!

• Like 2

Welcome to NF, Sarai! Sounds like you're in the right place. 

I think there's a really pervasive myth out there that exercise is the best way to lose weight. If you already have low body fat and you want to get shredded, exercise is definitely the way to go, but if you're just looking to shed a few pounds you can burn a couple hundred calories in two hours on a treadmill and then get them all back with a single candy bar. But that's not to say exercise is totally worthless: it's really important for strength and endurance, for not just your muscles and cardiovascular system but also your bones and joints. Exercise is also really good for your mental health. 

But regardless of all that, if getting a "beach body" (wtf even is that) isn't what makes you happy and engaged, best to stick to something else. Here at NF we are all about not fighting to enjoy exercises we hate. If you don't like running, don't run! If you don't like free weights, try something else! The best work out is the one you stick to. 

The same goes for diet. I've found that giving myself a set of rules for my diet (eat salad at one meal every day, skip the afternoon snack, don't drink liquid calories, always balance your plate, etc) doesn't work for me. I forget the rules and then feel like a failure when I remember and realize all the ways I've "messed up." Instead, I like to institute situational changes to make it easier for me not to overeat. Buy smaller plates and use them. Only make enough food for one meal at a time. (I really like the convenience of leftovers but I also tend to over-serve when there's too much available.) Don't stock your home with crap food that you know you'll fall back on when you're feeling lazy. These "rules" are a lot easier for me to follow than micro-managing my calorie count and macros. But some people feel completely the opposite! 

NF is unique because it offers a really great way to try different methods of working out and eating better to learn what works for you and what doesn't. The community here is really friendly and helpful, so if you have any questions just ask. 

Good luck!

The programs my friend pushes are also very much about diet, and she is a person who has gotten long lasting, significant results. Many people find her inspiring, and while I'm truly happy for her success, I have a hard time being 'inspired' by it, because she constantly obsessed (and I do mean obsessed) with her food, supplements, and workouts.  That will never be me. Seeing stories like hers make me think "If that's how obsessed I have to be to in solidly good health, I'm never going to succeed!" (Even though I intellectually know better.)

I agree with avoiding exercise I hate. I already came to that conclusion before finding NF.. haver trying Boot Camps and videos that just made me miserable.  I wasn't sold on NF because it is telling me anything new but because it seems like a community of folks  that have a more holistic attitude about health rather than buying into some CrossFit-like culture. 

Plus, I love the nerdy branding and the quests and all that. Right up my alley and it makes me feel at home. :)

• Like 1

i love your attitude! you seem to have a really healthy mindset. 

the beach body thing is little much for me too. i actually have a membership to the online workouts so that i can have a quick fix for when i can't get away from the house to workout (i have a 13 month old and a husband who sometimes works long hours).

• Like 1

Daily Battle Log, Sweat like an Orc, Live like a Hobbit, and Look like an Elf

“As the Wheel of Time turns, places wear many names. Men wear many names, many faces. Different faces, but always the same man. Yet no one knows the Great Pattern the Wheel weaves, or even the Pattern of an Age. We can only watch, and study, and hope.”  Robert Jordan, The Eye of the World

I feel the same way: my mom has always been overweight and very sedentary. My dad is the opposite. I see her at 68 with bad knees, back pain, fatigue, hypertension, etc. and it saddens me. She is on the same path as my grandfather was and it didn't end well. I don't want to end up the same way.

When I gained weight and got up to 200 lbs, I realized I was going down the same road and I didn't feel good. Fat and happy but uncomfortable. The beach body thing isn't for me either but strong, healthy and feeling good is.

So welcome! [emoji4]

Sent from my BBD100-2 using Tapatalk

• Like 1