Mediaguy99 makes a run for it!

mediaguy99

So last challenge was all about getting back into participating in the forums.  I didn't stop exercising, though some bad news about my cholesterol (it's high) and a little winter "puffiness" has got me keen to up my training and improve my eating habits.

This time around it's all about getting ready for the massive "Boulder Bolder" 10K at the end of the month, as well as getting back into archery and keeping up my strength training.  Plus, in the interest of a healthy diet, I'm going to focus on positive eating habits rather than limiting what I can and cannot eat.  Except for added sugar.  That's going to be something I watch like a hawk.

1.  Make a run for it!  This session, I'll make four training runs (or sub one cycle session for any of the non "long run" workouts) per week.  Schedule to be determined by Monday morning and stuck to all week.  The race is the Monday following the end of this challenge.  +1 per run, +2 per long run, graded out of 20 points total.  

2.  Veggies!  I'll stick to the recommended FIVE servings of vegetables per day.  Not grains, potatoes, etc.  Though sweet potatoes count, as long as they aren't from the freezer aisle of the supermarket.  +1 for five servings, +.5 for three servings, up to 28 points.

3.  Giving sugar the finger.  Sugar intake is linked to high cholesterol and so I'm going to keep my "added sugar" to a minimum.  I'll keep a diary of my sugar intake and keep it below 10 tsp (40g) of added sugar per day, 15 tsp (60g) on "long run" days.  +1 point per day for every day below the goal, for 28 points.  Sugar from fruit and veggies doesn't count.  Processed foods with "sugar" in the nutrition block do count as would juice if I drink any.

4.  Moral fiber.  Every day, I'll make myself either a big bowl of oatmeal (watch the added maple syrup, buddy...) or my super fiber smoothie (one orange, two cups of spinach, one cup of raspberries, and an optional scoop of protein powder). +1 point per day, for 28 points.

5.  You only get one shot!  Archery practice (at least) once a week. +5 points per week, for 20 points.  30 arrows.  (But really, the first shot is the only one that counts.)

6.  Weight a minute:  Bonus points for strength training.  Up to two times a week I'll hit the weights in the gym, just so I don't lose what I've gained.  +1 per workout, to count against point losses elsewhere.

7.  I want to ride my bicycle!  More bonus points, for riding to work.  +1 per day, but has to be in addition to another workout, and max 2 points per week.  Can't make up for lousy eating by biking to work...

That's a possible 31 points per week, or 124 points total.  There are a total of 16 extra credit points available too.  If I make 112+ points I can reward myself with that new recurve bow I've been thinking about for a year now.

I'll weigh in on Monday morning, and weigh out on Sunday May 27.  Maybe I'll even see a change.

• Like 4

Level 21 Wild Elf Ranger/Assassin

Spoiler

I'm not really sure these stats are relevant anymore...

STR: 31 DEX: 26 STA: 30  CON: 24  WIS: 30 CHA: 26

Current Challenge

20 hours ago, TGP said:

rooting for you.

#3 eliminating sugar seems huge to me.  I've done that.  or well Tried to do that.

the struggle is real;  cause sugar hides in many things.

You know it!  I toyed around with it this past challenge, and it was hard.  I gave up when the sickness hit.  Somehow that justified eating ice cream every night "for my sore throat."

17 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Running, archery, and strength training - nice mix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a proven strategy!  But at 46 it's not enough to keep from gaining weight, at least in the 10K running range.

So I'm still fighting off the last of the flu or cold or sinusitis or whatever it is that's plagued our house for the past month.  But I woke up this morning and though I was coughing it wasn't the overwhelming experience it has been for the past two weeks.  Am going to a restorative yoga class with Mrs. Mediaguy and The Apprentice.  It'll be his first experience in a "studio" yoga class so I hope he enjoys it.  Tomorrow will be my last rest/sick day before running resumes on Monday (assuming this healing trend continues).  It's snowing here today, soon to turn to rain, so it's a good weekend to not brave the weather.

• Like 3

Spoiler

Current Challenge

Hey how could not follow a thread with such a title... Really looking forward to see you rock the race! Oh, and excellent diet goals!

• Thanks 1

Level 4 Padawan

STR 4.75 | DEX 5 | STA 8.5 | CON 4.25 | WIS 4.25 | CHA 2.75

Challenge #1, #2, #3, #4, #5 , #6, #7 | Battle Log | Epic Quests | STRAVA Profile

! Join the Rebellion (NF Club) On Strava !

>>> On 8/11/2017 started Walking to Mordor, threw the Ring into Mount Doom on 26/5/2019 and now heading back to Hobbiton >>>

'We all long for Eden, and we are constantly glimpsing it: our whole nature is still soaked with the sense of exile.' - J. R. R. Tolkien

On 4/20/2018 at 11:59 PM, mediaguy99 said:

Sugar intake is linked to high cholesterol

I did not know this.  I always figured my elevated cholesterol levels were from eating too much meat, but I can't help but scoff at the concept of too much meat :D 

I have been trying to cut back on sugar but now it seems I may have some added incentive :) 

On 4/21/2018 at 10:15 PM, mediaguy99 said:

But at 46 it's not enough to keep from gaining weight

I won't be 46 for years (plural!) but I struggle with this too.  It seems like the older I get the more I need to do to keep from gaining weight

• Like 1
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26Nerevarine [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

10 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

I did not know this.  I always figured my elevated cholesterol levels were from eating too much meat, but I can't help but scoff at the concept of too much meat :D 

I have been trying to cut back on sugar but now it seems I may have some added incentive :) 

I won't be 46 for years (plural!) but I struggle with this too.  It seems like the older I get the more I need to do to keep from gaining weight

Indeed.  The slower metabolism (quitting smoking in my 20's didn't help with that, or maybe it was smoking through my teens and 20's?) is harder and harder to offset.  I imagine I'll be 66 someday and my "maintenance" caloric intake will need to be in the mid-1200's.  As for cholesterol and sugar, excess carbohydrates in the body trigger the liver to make cholesterol and that's what causes the blood cholesterol content to go up.  There's plenty of research out there.  Back when I was 100% paleo my cholesterol levels were fine.  Of course you can't eat "the bacon diet" and have low cholesterol, as much as I would LOVE that!

650x350_bacon_sizzling_facts_rmq.jpg?res

• Like 2

Spoiler

Current Challenge

First day of the challenge!  I took week zero off to recuperate from the flu/bronchitis/sinus infection that's been plaguing me for fourteen days now.  I'm still not over it but I think I can start some mellow running today over the lunch hour.  The 10K training plan says to run either 30 or 40 min which I should be able to do.  So here's the training plan for the week:

M: 30 min run

T: lift, archery at night

W: 40 min run

Th: Driving to Great Sand Dunes National Park, aka rest day

F: 30 min run

Sa: 4.5 mi run

Su: Driving home from GSDNP, aka another rest day

Weighed myself this morning, before breakfast, and came in at 170.6.  Which is a good starting point.  We'll see what happens over the challenge.  Breakfast was a piece of homemade toast (no added sugar, just wheat, salt, water, and yeast) with butter and the fiber punch smoothie.  So that's two servings of vegetables (2C of raw spinach) and zero added sugar before 7AM--I'm off to a good start.  I cubed a sweet potato and roasted it with some red chile and salt last night, and made sticks of a bunch of celery.  Planning is going to be the key to succeeding on my vegetable intake this challenge, and I feel prepared for the next two days.  If only the sinuses would clear up :( 

• Like 2

Spoiler

Current Challenge

Nice varied Ranger activites. I hear you on being able to eat less now that you are older, I'm the same way. I never had to worry about my weight until I hit 40. 

• Like 1

Wisdom 15.5   Dexterity 11   Charisma 12   Strength 14  Constitution-11

Elastigirl:Just Living Life , Part II - Current Challenge: February 14 to March 20 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

OK just back from the run.  I've consumed four servings of vegetables so far today, and lunch is 6 plain swedish meatballs from ikea and my roasted sweet potatoes.  Can you believe the sugar content in the meatballs is 18g?  Seems nutso.  And that's without any kind of gravy or the lingonberry jam they usually come with.    Scratch that, the sugar content of just the meatballs is ZERO.  I was misinformed.  THAT'S A RELIEF!!!

• Like 3

Spoiler

Current Challenge

2 minutes ago, mediaguy99 said:

Can you believe the sugar content in the meatballs is 18g?

Sad, no? Usually meatballs are made with breadcrumbs and most breads have a staggering amount of sugar in them. It's bread. It's already full of carbs from the flour. Why would you add so much sugar in there? Yet, there it is on the label, usually some kind of corn syrup hiding in there. The food industry is evil, I tells ya! They sneak that sugar in everywhere. So frustrating!!!

• Like 1

"You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; and so do that which best stirs you to love." - St. Teresa of Avila

Current Challenge: Seeks Balance | Battle Log: Ye Olde Battle Logge | NF Character: Public Profile | Strava 

12 minutes ago, jstanlick said:

Sad, no? Usually meatballs are made with breadcrumbs and most breads have a staggering amount of sugar in them. It's bread. It's already full of carbs from the flour. Why would you add so much sugar in there? Yet, there it is on the label, usually some kind of corn syrup hiding in there. The food industry is evil, I tells ya! They sneak that sugar in everywhere. So frustrating!!!

It's totally frustrating.  I'm still looking for a picture of the label, and I'm SURE it has breadcrumbs and other starches in them, but I was misinformed on the actual sugar content.  Looks like less than a gram per serving.    OK, found the ingredients on their website and they include: Beef, pork, water, onion, breadcrumbs, whole eggs, salt, egg whites, spices.  Here's the nutrition label:  

o-IKEA-MEATBALLS-570.jpg

I feel a lot better now.  And I also read the ingredients on the veggie balls--those might warrant a taste test!

• Like 2

Spoiler

Current Challenge

Breakfast this morning was a slice of toast and the last sausage.  I made my smoothie but haven't drunk it yet.  Last night I started a course of antibiotics for my sinus issues and they have knocked me on my ass.  Plus probably running yesterday--I'm pooped this morning!  Snow and rain this morning too, which doesn't inspire me to do anything.  I did see one guy running while I was driving to work.  He was out in shorts and a cotton t-shirt.  BRRR.  What's it called when you're impressed AND feeling pity at the same time?  

Still hoping to get to the gym today.  I've got a bunch of running around campus to do between 9-11.

Yesterday my sugar intake was pretty darned good.  Consumed about 26g of sugar overall, which is about 6.5 tsp.  Well below my plan.  Ate my fiber and veggies too, and ran.  Points earned:  4 . Total points:  4

• Like 3

Spoiler

Current Challenge

3 hours ago, mediaguy99 said:

What's it called when you're impressed AND feeling pity at the same time? 

giphy.gif

3 hours ago, mediaguy99 said:

Yesterday my sugar intake was pretty darned good.  Consumed about 26g of sugar overall, which is about 6.5 tsp.  Well below my plan.

Nicely done!

• Like 1

"You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; and so do that which best stirs you to love." - St. Teresa of Avila

Current Challenge: Seeks Balance | Battle Log: Ye Olde Battle Logge | NF Character: Public Profile | Strava 

food IS tricky.

I dont' know if I should admit it. but myself; I've drastically cut back on the OBVIOUS sugar sources (candy, donuts, etc) but left the rest of it alone.  I exercise as much as I can* and seem to be losing weight.

I think you guys/gals that are working on strictly controlling the macros are beyond fantastic.

(* well... I guess I could do better. but I'm trying...)

• Like 2

https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/116426-im-awake/

the "NEW" normal is good with me! as Life was Never really Normal anyways....

Is winter coming or going in your region?

With our winter coming in, rain drying up, there are more dust, so my sinus issues are also picking up again. Luckily Pegasus has always worked for me, and when those aren't strong enough, I still have a whole little bottle full of the homeopath's sinus pillules which are much stronger!

Hope you got that workout in!

• Like 1

Mrs. Van's Latest Challenge

Stormie Omartian

"A wife's prayers for her husband has a far greater effect on him than anyone else's, even his mother's."

9 hours ago, elizevdmerwe said:

Is winter coming or going in your region?

It's not really winter here anymore.  It's kind of spring, moving towards summer.  But we get snow until late May here in Colorado.  When this thing first hit me I thought it was spring allergies but I was wrong!

20 hours ago, TGP said:

food IS tricky.

I dont' know if I should admit it. but myself; I've drastically cut back on the OBVIOUS sugar sources (candy, donuts, etc) but left the rest of it alone.  I exercise as much as I can* and seem to be losing weight.

I think you guys/gals that are working on strictly controlling the macros are beyond fantastic.

(* well... I guess I could do better. but I'm trying...)

That's more or less what this is about--reducing the sugars and increasing the vegetables.  I have no idea how the macro folks (especially those concerned with high protein) do it.  I get so bored keeping track of EVERYTHING.  

• Like 1

Spoiler

Current Challenge

I didn't get to the gym yesterday.  Work was just too busy.  I did get to the archery range after work though, which was great, and also saw that I covered more than 6.5 miles walking yesterday.  I ate all my veggies, and bumped the top of my sugar ceiling but stayed below the limit so that was good too.  Even treated myself to some almond milk cocoa at the end of the day when I knew I was below.  So yummy.  Today I'm heading out for a half hour run over the lunch hour.  Nothing will stop me!

I chose not to have the mega fiber smoothie for breakfast today.  Having it right now for lunch instead.  Went for a run too--41 min, with funny splits:  every mile was faster than the one before.

Tuesday:  +1 veggies, +1 fiber, +1 no sugar, +5 archery, total 11 points so far.

Wednesday:  +1 veggies , +1 running, +1 sugar, +1 fiber, 15 points so far.

Might try to squeeze a run in tomorrow and maybe some lifting.  I have to stay at work til 4:00, which means I'll have enough time for a lunch hour.  They're pretty liberal about working out at lunch; we're allowed to eat at our desks if we're doing healthy things over our unpaid lunch hour.  Which makes great sense considering all the stress and health benefits working out afford a company.  

• Like 5

Spoiler

Current Challenge

Oh dear... today I used my points system to rationalize eating junk food. 

That's not what the point system is for.

I figured that since I was both biking to work today, and lifting, and going for a short run (30 min), that my extra points would counteract the muffins a coworker brought in.  In retrospect it was quite delicious.  And at least it'll get me to the gym and on the trails and back on my bike to go home :)

• Sad 1

Spoiler

Current Challenge

that kind of situation is very hard....

you'll have to work out how to give yourself an allowance; (when, how much?)  if you intend to give yourself an allowance...

otherwise

every holiday, birthday, celebration, etc can be pretty dang hard.  espcacially if there are people in your life that do not understand.

I think I would just point out that if sudden limited bursts of healthy eating doesn't change your life overnight (and it doesn't) so too,  a sudden limited burst of Unhealthy eating does NOT derail your diet.

and you can use that fact to provide for relief for times when its much harder than normal to eat healthy.

OTOH I empathize with people that talk about how hard it is to moderate a diet.   living on the edge like that; its easy to slip back into habitual unhealthy habits.  (which actually is what I'm trying to do)

• Like 1

https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/116426-im-awake/

the "NEW" normal is good with me! as Life was Never really Normal anyways....

Riding a bike, lifting weights and running! You are super active, I don't thin eating a muffin is going to hinder your goals.

• Like 3

Wisdom 15.5   Dexterity 11   Charisma 12   Strength 14  Constitution-11

Elastigirl:Just Living Life , Part II - Current Challenge: February 14 to March 20 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien