Okay, I lived through The Conference and am now trying to get back into the swing.  Throwing another exciting happy wrench into the works is the fact that my brother-in-law got to come home from his deployment early! This is such great news but I am feeling a little off-kilter and need to just get back to basics. 

Habits I'm maintaining: Daily salad for lunch at work. 96 oz of water daily. 8 hours of sleep minimum. 

Q1. 3 workouts per week

It's baaaaaaack. With my new roommate + a lot of recent travel + my workout partner hurt her sternoclavicular joint (who even DOES that), my workout schedule has slid hard.  I've still been active but my regular bodyweight workouts have been really intermittent. And I can feel it.  I've started having weird numbness in my left leg, back pain, arm pain, the whole meatsack is just falling apart. 

Q2: Daily $$ checkins on YNAB

I used to be really good at doing weekly reconciliations of my personal account on YNAB, but that's fallen away as my money situation stabilized. This month I'd like to do a daily check-in on YNAB, to import & categorize any new stuff and then to tweak the budgets as needed.  I'm working really aggressively on my credit card debt and when my YNAB stuff is in good shape, it's easy to find a little extra to put towards that bill. And then NEVER HAVE IT AGAIN. 

Q3: Daily writing 

I've been having some resistance around my current #the100dayproject and I want to get over that.  Part of it is just feeling like I want to spend more time on my poems than a daily cadence allows, and part of it is not wanting to publish stuff so I can send it out to publishers, which is SUCH a different way of thinking than I'm used to. Anyway, I'm not allowed to quit a creative project when I'm out of practice with it, so I need to get up to speed before I can even decide what to do about that situation. 

Q4: Food journal!

Salads are going pretty well, so this month I'm going to do a FOOD JOURNAL.  I've done these before (mostly that picture taking app one) to some effect.  I need to reconnect to my big why on this, it's feeling sort of arbitrary. I am not planning to track calories, at least not at first--just a journal of what I'm eating. Totally open to thoughts/suggestions about how to do this. 

BONUS: Submit poems to at least one publisher.

Challenges:

• I am going to be traveling the first day of the challenge, but I'll be on my way home. 
  • I might be going camping mid-challenge. 
  • Everything is just hard right now. I don't know why. 
  • Like 3

Traaki, Level 23 Half-Orc Assassin 

Current challenge: traaki gets some sun. Just a little. * Respawned on June 25, 2018

Previous: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 Epic QuestBattlelog

3 minutes ago, traaki said:
  • Everything is just hard right now. I don't know why. 

I hear you. :)

• Like 1

"We can be heroes"

Level 13 Assassin | climbing | meditating | running | writing | bodyweight training | kickboxing | Backyard gym project

Current Challenge39 | 38 | 37 | 36 | 35 | 34 | 33 | 32 | 31 | 30 | 29 | 28 | 27 | 26 | 25 | 24 | 23 | 22 | 21 | 20 | 19 | 18 | 1716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1 

I'm already feeling overwhelmed and it's only the second day of the challenge! WHEEEEEEE.

Q1: I'm planning workouts tomorrow, Friday and Sunday. 

Q2: I've done 10 minutes on money today, which wasn't enough but I think 10 minutes a day is going to be plenty once I catch up on backlog. 

Q3: I wrote some today. I feel like I'm struggling to get into a writing rhythm lately. Feeling too rushed to get things done = not enough time to get into the right frame of mind? I'm not sure. 

Q4: I started my food journal! It's just on paper right now. My food intake has been absolute crap today, too. 

BQ: I have a journal I want to send poems too, just need to pick poems, format my submission & get it to them. 

My trip this weekend was unexpectedly exhausting. I think that it'll stabilize--I've had a string of really busy weekends and we all know what that means (chaos! disaster! confusion!) so trying to just take some deep breaths and get through it. 

• Like 2

Current challenge: traaki gets some sun. Just a little. * Respawned on June 25, 2018

Previous: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 Epic QuestBattlelog

On 4/20/2018 at 11:10 PM, traaki said:

Throwing another exciting happy wrench into the works is the fact that my brother-in-law got to come home from his deployment early!

:) great news!

5 hours ago, traaki said:

I've had a string of really busy weekends and we all know what that means (chaos! disaster! confusion!) so trying to just take some deep breaths and get through it. 

I see what you mean! I'm looking forward to have my evenings again, some calm and time on my hands, like you know, getting bored a little, I miss it!

oh and camping! exciting!

• Like 1

Challenges #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 | #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 (current)

Battle log The Assassin's Path (current)

Woot: first 1mn free HS | first press to HS

16 hours ago, @mu said:

I'm looking forward to have my evenings again, some calm and time on my hands, like you know, getting bored a little, I miss it!

Me too! It's so nice to have time with nothing planned....I'm an egregiously over-committed person but I'm trying really hard to get more down time into my life.

• Like 1

Tiny update: 

I DID A WORKOUT TODAY! I realized that I might be in a good place for a respawn...but I think I will just treat it more as a death saving throw situation and see if I can get the workouts to stabilize during this challenge. 

ALSO I AM A FOOD BEAST. I didn't have my salad ingredients today, so I went to my building's cafe. They had bacon-wrapped hot dogs and a kale salad. And although bacon wrapped hot dogs are one of my favorite things, I GOT THE SALAD.  While I was waiting, I was thinking about how much I hate the "women eat salads" stereotype and how it makes me want to murder things. It feels so gross to conform to it, although I'm doing it for my own reasons, but I just took some deep breaths and ordered the damn salad.  Everybody else's stupid ideas are not my problem. And this salad is pretty darn good, even if it isn't a bacon-wrapped hot dog. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, traaki said:

While I was waiting, I was thinking about how much I hate the "women eat salads" stereotype and how it makes me want to murder things. It feels so gross to conform to it, although I'm doing it for my own reasons, but I just took some deep breaths and ordered the damn salad.

Well done. What is gross is people making assumptions about you because of your food selection really. What society are we living in that having salad generates so much inner conflict <_<

• Like 1

Challenges #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 | #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 (current)

17 hours ago, @mu said:

What society are we living in that having salad generates so much inner conflict <_<

PREACH. This is why I want to abolish gender, but I guess in the meantime I will be sure to eat giant salads so I can slay the patriarchy more effectively. 

• Like 1

On 4/26/2018 at 3:08 AM, @mu said:

Well done. What is gross is people making assumptions about you because of your food selection really. What society are we living in that having salad generates so much inner conflict <_<

Seconded. Also, I feel like "women ordering salads" is a stereotype for dainty little salads that don't contain actual nutritional value. If you have a salad and it's filling and gives youwhat you need.... why the stigma? (I mean, why the stigma anyway, but people are dumb). 

• Like 2

Manarelle the Level 55 Amazon Assassin

Gryffindarling and Sith Acolyte, somehow.

Challenges: 1-1011-2021-3031-4041-50, 51-60, Current

WEEK ONE CHECK-IN!

Q1: Did three out of three workouts! I even persevered in the face of surprise breakfast in bed, which breaks my "workout right after waking up before eating" rule. But I did it!

Q2: I've been doing 10 minutes on my budget every (work) day since the challenge started. It's feeling really do-able and great. It isn't chipping away at some of the larger backlog yet, but I'm feeling positive about it.

Q3: I wrote every day but one. Still working out the cadence of poetry vs. non-poetry, editing vs. publishing, but it is feeling pretty good.

Q4: Food journal is ongoing! I hate it so much! Ugh why!

BQ: I DID IT! I submitted my poems to PoetrySuperHighway

• Like 2

I am just here to say I'm not dead. It's been a tough week and I don't have the capacity to keep up with all of these goals.  Work is.... :( So, I'm trying to not torpedo any of these goals but tracking & reporting on them is tough.  

I'm going to get a workout in tomorrow, so that will be two for the week. I've been writing some. Food journal went up in flames yesterday and while I can resurrect it, and might, I think I likely won't. It just doesn't feel productive or useful in any way. 

Anyway, this weekend my partner and I rented a house for a mini-staycation where we are going to talk about our long-term financial goals and make some big decisions. Sorry to have checked out so hard on my challenge as well as everybody else's. <3 to you all. 

4 hours ago, traaki said:

It's been a tough week and I don't have the capacity to keep up with all of these goals.  Work is.... :( So, I'm trying to not torpedo any of these goals but tracking & reporting on them is tough.  

I'm going to get a workout in tomorrow, so that will be two for the week. I've been writing some.

This is good if you can manage to not let the goals go to a flat line - in particular workouts and creative activities, because (1) it can be harder to get back into it (2) there is a risk that work (or whatever is eating you) will keep reducing your personal space if you let it. Take care!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, traaki said:

I am just here to say I'm not dead. It's been a tough week and I don't have the capacity to keep up with all of these goals. 

Taking care of your mental health is a dang good goal. Hope the weekend gives you the break you need. We'll be here when you get back. <3

• Like 1

Still clinging by a thread to my challenge.  Here's the update: 

Q1: I worked out this morning. Planning to do another one Friday & one on Sunday.  It is feeling like I can barely manage to do two easy workouts per week, and I don't know why, but I'm trying to at least keep the habit in place and just do *something*.  Today was lots of push-ups. 

Q2: Daily money check-ins. This is the one thing that has been going well. It's definitely not habit-level yet (I have to keep reminding myself to do it) but it's been easy and really productive. 

Q3: Writing has been intermittent. I'm tending to either get a poem written OR do some free-writing, but not both. I feel okay about that. 

Q4: No quest four over here! I don't know what you could possibly be talking about. Who would ever start a food journal? Not me.  

More troubling is the fact that my non-challenge habits are suffering. I've noticed there's kind of a cycle to it--I'll be really good at habits, they'll feel super easy to maintain, and then for a while I can barely get anything done. I can tell when things are falling apart because I start eating way less healthy food (who needs lunch when I can have popcorn?!), I stay up later than planned, I drink a lot more diet soda/caffeine. Then, something magical happens and everything feels easy again.

I'm not sure what causes this cycle of productivity and despair. I've managed to get the cycle to a much more manageable place (e.g. highs and lows are both less extreme, I tend to be on the good side more than the bad, I don't panic as much when it happens) but it's still annoying.  When things are going badly, I remind myself that remaining committed to the habits, spending some extra time on self-reflection, and being super kind to myself are the best strategies.  And it does work. I just wish that I had a little more understanding of why it happens in the first place. If it's just a natural energy cycle, the best thing I can do is embrace it. But if there ARE things causing my life to go off the rails, and if I can get rid of them, all the better.  

Keystone habits: 

• Flossing
  • Making my bed
  • Checking my daily to-do lists/weekly plan
  • Drinking lots of water
  • 2 Workouts per week
  • NF Challenges & Check-ins 
  • 8 hours of sleep per night

Habits-in-progress:

• 3 workouts per week
  • Daily salads
  • Daily writing
  • Daily money dates
  • 9 hours of sleep per night
  • Getting out of bed quickly in the morning
  • Extremely limited social media/algorithmic news consumption

Potential culprits:

• Not enough sleep? I've been getting at least 8 hours most of the time, but it seems I can never have enough.
  • Skipping workouts/not enough exercise?
  • Weekends have been very full
  • Work is really getting me down lately / applying to new jobs is taking a lot of emotional energy
  • Writing tends to keep me up and that fucks with my schedule overall
  • My to-do list gets wildly out of hand sometimes and I don't know why. 

So, anyway, that's what's been on my mind. I'm revising the challenge to just focus on workouts, money dates, and writing.  All will be well, eventually. 

On 5/4/2018 at 8:45 PM, @mu said:

This is good if you can manage to not let the goals go to a flat line - in particular workouts and creative activities, because (1) it can be harder to get back into it (2) there is a risk that work (or whatever is eating you) will keep reducing your personal space if you let it. Take care!

On 5/5/2018 at 2:48 PM, Manarelle said:

Taking care of your mental health is a dang good goal. Hope the weekend gives you the break you need. We'll be here when you get back. <3

I totally agree with you both and appreciate the reminders. <3 <3 <3 <3

END OF CHALLENGE CHECK-IN

Q1: Did one out of three workouts. Somehow putting this on my challenge made my habit worse.... >_>

Q2: Still getting about 10 minutes in on my budget every day. At this point I'm caught up so I can actually do my budget & our shared household budget in about 5 minutes, which is swell.  

Q3: I've been writing every day, sometimes poems and sometimes not.  

Q4: I added in a goal--to make myself emotionally/psychologically stronger every day.  I have a list of things (go for a walk, take a nap, say nice things to myself, meditate) and I just choose from them what feels like it will give me strength. I don't fully understand why things are so hard right now

You know, looking back at it, I haven't been failing as completely as I thought I was? My food habits are not going super well, though I'm eating salad more than I normally would have which I consider a win. In general I've been trying to stay away from things that feel too "should-y", getting lots of sleep, and taking time for myself.  I'm also trying to make better choices in the moment--like, if not having a Diet Dr. Pepper feels like it's the most onerous thing imaginable, I don't stress and just have the drink. But if I feel okay about forgoing it, I do.  

One thing I realized is that I've been looking for a new job off and on for over six months.  I got a rejection recently after what I thought was a pretty solid interview/code sample situation, which was a big disappointment. I know someone who works there and LOVES her job. But, there are still some open doors and lots more applications I can fill out. I've got an idea for a somewhat ambitious side project that could strengthen my sample & my skills both, so maybe that's next.

In general I think I'm juggling slightly too many things.  Thinking next challenge may focus on getting a few things out the door + some meditation or something like that. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, traaki said:

In general I think I'm juggling slightly too many things. Thinking next challenge may focus on getting a few things out the door + some meditation or something like that. 

The juggling bit can be a bit vicious, the more we want to control, the faster/harder things get sometimes... Your plan sounds good.
Re Q3: it looks like daily writing is in for good! That's great actually!

• Like 1

On 5/18/2018 at 8:56 PM, @mu said:

The juggling bit can be a bit vicious, the more we want to control, the faster/harder things get sometimes... Your plan sounds good.
Re Q3: it looks like daily writing is in for good! That's great actually!

Thank you! Here's hoping it sticks.

On 5/18/2018 at 4:33 PM, traaki said:

You know, looking back at it, I haven't been failing as completely as I thought I was?

This is a good realization. You're making habits that are sticking with you, then forgetting them since they're... habits. Still winning. Juggling too much can definitely shift that focus to all the fails instead of the wins, though. Congrats on the successful challenge, and here's to the next being solid as well.