[Bookish Badger] 3-Month Quest, Part 1

Bookish Badger

On April 10, I saw my doctor. In addition to the hypertension (I'm consistently over 150/90 when unmedicated), I'm pre-diabetic with an A1C of 5.7. 

As I'd never been diagnosed with high blood glucose before, my doc agreed to hold off on prescribing more meds and give me a chance to get things under control on my own. We have a follow-up scheduled for July 10. In the next slightly-less-than-3-months, I need to get my blood sugar under 100. That'll give me an A1C of 5.6 or lower and keep me off diabetes meds.

I also want to lose as much weight as I can safely in that interval. My doc thinks that losing 30-50 pounds would normalize my blood pressure and I could try dropping the hypertension meds, too. I'm shooting for 30 pounds - an aggressive goal but not an unattainable one. I'd love to be at 200 at the next appointment, but I'll take any weight under 210. 

So here's my plan of attack:

1. Keto, keto, keto.
    • No carbs other than above-ground plants, limited to two or three servings per day. This should keep me under 20g per day.
    • Intermittent fasting, a.k.a., "It won't hurt you to miss a meal now and then." Luckily, when I'm in keto mode I don't get that hungry so it's easy to skip eating when I'm busy. When I'm bored or anxious, that's another story, which brings me to....
  2. Exercise daily
    • Mon & Thurs: my own variant of StrongLifts 5x5. The last time I lifted regularly, I found that I didn't recover fast enough to lift 3 days a week (stupid aging process). 
    • Tues & Fri: Couch to 5k on the treadmill.
    • Wednesday: slow elliptical. Work up to an hour, then gradually increase speed.
    • Weekends: general activity - housework, yard work, walks in the neighborhood, etc. 
    • Walk on breaks and lunches at work anytime the weather permits.
  3. Update this thread every other day, at a minimum, and post measurements each Sunday. 

My "Do All The Things" compulsion wants me to throw a bunch of other stuff in there, but it would just be distracting fluff. For now, this is where I need to focus my energy.

Day 0 Measurements:

Weight: 237.8#

Blood Sugar: 126, fasting

Blood Pressure: 127/72

Pulse: 71

• Like 3

"'It's time for a few small repairs,' she said." - Shawn Colvin

On 4/22/2018 at 11:10 AM, Bookish Badger said:

distracting fluff

Yeah you don’t want that!

Keto! Woot!

Mark Sisson is a lovely blogger and has a bunch of motivational writings on why eating wheat is not worth it, and lots of other stuff.

I’m sorry to hear about your doctors visit, that sucks.

The motivation you’ve got from

it is pretty powerful.

Following!

• Like 2

"One should eat to live, not live to eat." -Molaire-

"People always forget their hangover" -My dear ol' dad

"People are born to live, while some are born to evolve." 

Update:

Keto foods: Check

Exercise Daily: Check

Lifted weights on Monday

Walked on treadmill on Tuesday (didn't do C25K or Zombies!Run, because I forgot my earbuds - they're in my gym bag now)

Walked on at least one break at work.

Update Thread: Check :)

• Like 1

A lot of checks there, looks like a solid start :) 

• Like 2

Level 15 Wood Elf Ranger

STR: 0  -  CON: 0  -  CHA: 0  -  SAN: 0  -  INT: 0

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Current Challenge: Muscle Wizard: Origins

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map - 2021 Road Map

Update:

Still eating keto, though it's been hard a couple of times. Mainly because it's been a stressful week and I was looking for comfort. 

I skipped the gym yesterday because I was wiped out (see above). Mr. Bear was late getting home so I made a really easy frozen-meatball-and-salad dinner and climbed into The Way of Kings for a few hours. It did a badger good. Tuesdays and Thursdays seem to be the days to hit the free weights so I may need to tweak my schedule a bit. 

The weather had continued to be beautiful so I've gone on walks during my breaks at work, which has helped keep me from breaking things.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Bookish Badger said:

And gets me out of the building before I start punching things. Which has never been more tempting as it has been this week.

Uh oh. Why?

• Like 2

Day 7 Measurements:

Weight: 234.4# (<3.4 pounds!)

Blood Sugar: 103, fasting (<23)

Blood Pressure: 131/83 (>4/11, but still not too bad)

Pulse: 74

I lifted on Thursday, which felt really good, but skipped working out on Friday evening as I'd worked late and Mr. Bear was cooking chicken wings for dinner at my request. Can't let a perfectly good chicken wing get stale! 

I didn't get much exercise yesterday unless you count touring assisted living facilities. My MIL's condition continues to deteriorate. The situation has become more urgent because the home health nurse gave us two weeks' notice that her employer is discontinuing home health services. So we're looking at getting her into respite care this week and getting her moved to a permanent residence near us in the next few weeks. Then there's her house to clean out (her dementia has led to some mild hoarding), pack up, and sell. 

Today, at least I mowed the lawn, which I'm counting as an hour of walking.

And I've been mostly Keto this week. I stepped out of bounds yesterday at breakfast because our favorite local-dive-bar-that-happens-to-have-an-amazing-kitchen had a pork schnitzel special. I ignored the potatoes but used half a slice of toast to scoop up the sauce and eggs over easy. I regret nothing!

And it seems not to have hurt me any, since my weight and blood sugar are both down. Now, to keep it going in that direction...

20 hours ago, Butternut said:

Uh oh. Why?

It was a challenging week. We've been understaffed for a while (I've been training newbies as fast as they've been hired, but as we don't have a Matrix brain interface yet there's only so fast that the knowledge can be crammed into their noggins). On top of that, there were mechanical/technical issues which led to much higher call volumes for us, and we weren't told the cause of the problems which left us with nothing to tell the customers but "sorry, we're working on it..."

All the stress brought out everyone's inner toddler and led to some bickering about who wasn't pulling their weight. This sort of thing usually doesn't happen with this team so it just goes to show how frayed everyone's nerves were.

It turns out that some of the fingers were pointing at me, with grumbling that I wasn't taking "enough" calls. (Part of my job is to take support calls when call volumes get overwhelming.) I found this out from one of the team leads who told me that he was going to talk to the dept. manager. He'd run the numbers and found that I'd taken more calls each day than the three finger-pointers put together.

The whole thing was news to me, so while I was very grateful that he had my back, I was pissed and frustrated that my back needed having at all. Hence my desire to punch things.

• Like 2

Sorry for the work drama. I would offer to  come in and tell them to leave you alone, but I am not sure that would help. It sounds like overall your doing pretty well so far and I understand the need to get home to have wings. Hopefully today goes better and the blood sugar and weight continue to go in the right direction.

• Thanks 1

You are never too old to set another goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

On 4/29/2018 at 7:48 PM, Bookish Badger said:

he whole thing was news to me, so while I was very grateful that he had my back, I was pissed and frustrated that my back needed having at all. Hence my desire to punch things.

Dude that makes so much sense.

That sucks.

Atleast your boss proved the guy wrong.

its amazing on how stressful a job can be when your over worked

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1