A swift challenge [zenLara]

Lara

Swifts are here! I impatiently await their arrival every year, and it's been a bit sad that it took them so long to come, but considering it was still snowing a couple of weeks ago I guess they were right to wait.

Following what caracterizes swifts -nonstop flying, they can fly uninterruptedly for 10 months- this is going to be a movement challenge. A free movement challenge, no pretensions. Because a swift will just fly, without thinking of achieving results.

So, I'll move as much as possible and it could be anything: self-defence lessons? Yes. Feeling like picking up my parallettes again and doing a workout? Sure. Weights? Why not. Running in the country? Lovely. Yoga, silat tables, walks, handstands, biking, exploring... anything goes, the final purpose being to spend sitting as little time as possible.

Spoiler

Depending on which activities I'll do, I get to choose up to 6 points, that could be BER, STR, STA, and/or DEX.

Secondary purposes:

- Keep on the WH thing, no hurry, no pause.

- Keep reading.

Spoiler

WH: 1 HEA, 1 STA, 1 CON

Reading: 1 WIS

Let's go!

Resultado de imagen de swift bird flight animation gif

Clarification: I know that bird is a swallow, but apparently it is impossible to find any swift gif/animation

Spoiler

And of course Wolverine will be present, because you know...

Resultado de imagen de swift bird wolverine

...he's swift and terrible :P

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

The Wolverine - Level 5 // BER  6.5 // HEA  4 // STR  4.4 // STA  3 // DEX  4 // CON  4 // WIS  4.75 // CHA  1

He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty.

Adventures don't start until you get into the forest.

And I was the swiftest to come follow your challenge :) With work being complicated at the moment, your "no hurry, no pause" plan seems smart!

• Like 1

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

[ STR 36.75 | DEX 26.00 | STA 28.00 | CON 31.25 | WIS 29.25 | CHA 24.50 ]

current 5-week challenge: March 2020

external websites with my resources for...

fitness & breathwork | mental math & mind sports | motivation & productivity

Sounds like a great challenge!

• Like 1
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26Nerevarine [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

I got a little rush of happiness when I saw your post that they are back, I knew itwould lift your spirits, didn't expect it would do the same for me! :) 

If you manage to get a photo of one while you are moving around that would be very cool. 

• Like 2

Endor, LVL 40 Half-Elf Ranger 

PR and Motivation Log | Current Battle Log 

Current Challenge (Jan 2021)

On 22/4/2018 at 9:19 PM, SymphonicDan said:

And I was the swiftest to come follow your challenge :) With work being complicated at the moment, your "no hurry, no pause" plan seems smart!

You found it even before I copied the link? :lol:

On 22/4/2018 at 11:14 PM, annyshay said:

Woohoo! Looks perfect. :)

Thank you!

On 23/4/2018 at 12:38 AM, WhiteGhost said:

Sounds like a great challenge!

It WILL be!

On 23/4/2018 at 12:44 AM, Endor said:

I got a little rush of happiness when I saw your post that they are back, I knew itwould lift your spirits, didn't expect it would do the same for me! :) 

If you manage to get a photo of one while you are moving around that would be very cool. 

I love when swifts come. I usually wake up to their shrieking (seriously, as much as I like that sound, I know anybody else would call it singing or even chirping :D)

Oh, yes, a picture of a swift. So you can tell me it's a pigeon from the park? :P

23 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Love this!!!

After I decided to do a free movement challenge I immediately thought "why don't I do this more often?" I do a challenge like this or similar almost every year and it's alwas fun.

• Like 1

The Wolverine - Level 5 // BER  6.5 // HEA  4 // STR  4.4 // STA  3 // DEX  4 // CON  4 // WIS  4.75 // CHA  1

On 4/22/2018 at 8:01 PM, zenLara said:

they can fly uninterruptedly for 10 months

wow that is amazing! Can't even imagine it, really and yet it gives your challenge such a gorgeous frame! Love the "no hurry no pause" and the no planning with no specific purpose theme, it feels light and powerful and healthy already :)

Yayyyyyy for swifts having arrived \o/

• Like 2

Level 18 Wood-Elf Assassin

battle log: counting the good things

current challenge: something, nothing, all the things

previous challenges: 25242322212019181716, 151413121110987654, 321

How cool is it that the same God who created mountains and oceans and galaxies looked at you and thought the world needed one of you, too

W1D1

Movement: self-defence, 5-6 minutes of yoga before lunch, a short walk with a student after work, 10 minutes of yoga before bed.

WHM: done.

Reading: didn't have time after breakfast, was running late for self-defence.

I have some good news unrelated to challenge. It is a silly thing, but it made me really happy.

I have finally come to the conclusion that for whatever the reason, my body needs a lot of carbs. As I don't get to have enough of them from vegetables, sweet potatos and rice, I always end up eating unhealthy things, specially cheap bread that has no nutrition value. This is worst in my case because of my hyperinsulinism and causes me problems, but the only store here that sells long fermentation (no yeast) bread -weston price type- it's been giving me a lot of troubles to buy it. First they would only bring that type of bread if I ordered it, and the minimum was 2 loaves/week, otherwise it was not worthwhile for them to place the order. It was too much bread, so I said no. Then they said, ok, maybe if you order 1/week and another product from that same brand. I said no. After a while they said, ok, don't worry anymore, we're going to order the bread anyway, I'll let you know when we have it. This has ended with them having 1 loaf of bread in september, and 1 in january :( Result, I've been eating a lot of "bad" bread, that lead to sugar cravings, thus eating sugary things and therefore struggling again with insuline resistance.

So I thought I could drive to the bakery that makes this bread and buy it without any intermediary; it's not near here, but maybe I could go now and then and buy a few loaves (this bread lasts a lot). I checked their website before going to see if they retale sell, and I found they've moved to a town that is at about 15 minutes from here by car! So I phoned them and the guy tells me that unfortunately, that address is only for the office and the corporate address, and that they're still working at the other place. And then the guy asks me where do I live and it turns out he has just moved here a few weeks ago, lives around the neighbourhood and doesn't mind to take the bread with him after work and bringing it to my place whenever I need some :o:o:o I didn't want to accept at first, it was too much of a favor from someone that doesn't even know me and that it is certainly not going to make a lot of money with my 2 loaves a month, but he insisted, said it was no trouble, and he apologized that the store (unrelated to his company) has given me so much trouble to buy his products. He's bringing me 2 loaves today. Amazing.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, lucky fire dragon said:

wow that is amazing! Can't even imagine it, really and yet it gives your challenge such a gorgeous frame! Love the "no hurry no pause" and the no planning with no specific purpose theme, it feels light and powerful and healthy already :)

Yayyyyyy for swifts having arrived \o/

Welcome, lady!

Swifts are amazing creatures.

I hope the challenge will be fun and invigorating!

• Like 1

sure it will be, all the swifts will carry you along :cheerful:

• Like 1

How cool is it that the same God who created mountains and oceans and galaxies looked at you and thought the world needed one of you, too

19 minutes ago, zenLara said:

W1D1

Movement: self-defence, 5-6 minutes of yoga before lunch, a short walk with a student after work, 10 minutes of yoga before bed.

Reading: didn't have time after breakfast, was running late for self-defence.

I have some good news unrelated to challenge. It is a silly thing, but it made me really happy.

I have finally come to the conclusion that for whatever the reason, my body needs a lot of carbs. As I don't get to have enough of them from vegetables, sweet potatos and rice, I always end up eating unhealthy things, specially cheap bread that has no nutrition value. This is worst in my case because of my hyperinsulinism and causes me problems, but the only store here that sells long fermentation (no yeast) bread -weston price type- it's been giving me a lot of troubles to buy it. First they would only bring that type of bread if I ordered it, and the minimum was 2 loaves/week, otherwise it was not worthwhile for them to place the order. It was too much bread, so I said no. Then they said, ok, maybe if you order 1/week and another product from that same brand. I said no. After a while they said, ok, don't worry anymore, we're going to order the bread anyway, I'll let you know when we have it. This has ended with them having 1 loaf of bread in september, and 1 in january :( Result, I've been eating a lot of "bad" bread, that lead to sugar cravings, thus eating sugary things and therefore struggling again with insuline resistance.

So I thought I could drive to the bakery that makes this bread and buy it without any intermediary; it's not near here, but maybe I could go now and then and buy a few loaves (this bread lasts a lot). I checked their website before going to see if they retale sell, and I found they've moved to a town that is at about 15 minutes from here by car! So I phoned them and the guy tells me that unfortunately, that address is only for the office and the corporate address, and that they're still working at the other place. And then the guy asks me where do I live and it turns out he has just moved here a few weeks ago, lives around the neighbourhood and doesn't mind to take the bread with him after work and bringing it to my place whenever I need some :o:o:o I didn't want to accept at first, it was too much of a favor from someone that doesn't even know me and that it is certainly not going to make a lot of money with my 2 loaves a month, but he insisted, said it was no trouble, and he apologized that the store (unrelated to his company) has given me so much trouble to buy his products. He's bringing me 2 loaves today. Amazing.

That is wonderful!  It is easy to get down about the state of the world, but then you see stories like this of people that are so willing to help out with no reward for themselves is really uplifting.  Thanks for sharing that story :) 

• Like 2

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26Nerevarine [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

oh wow, I had somehow not seen that before, how awesome!! Yes there are so many kind people out there :) And I bet, he really doesn't mind at all.

I feel so silly for now getting deliveries by the veggie farmer in the fields less than 10 minutes walk from my house. But he, too, says he really doesn't mind at all, I'm so close it's no hassle at all and now I order every week and am so happy about his great produce (or the stuff he buys for us in addition, but from good places and with the least transport possible involved) 

It can take a lot to accept such kindness, but you'll be so glad for it and he sounds like he really doesn't mind.

Yay I am so happy for you! Good bread can be so valuable, curious to see what all it does for you :) 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, zenLara said:

Oh, yes, a picture of a swift. So you can tell me it's a pigeon from the park?

LMAO!! 

giphy.gif

Love your bread story, I know you've had a lot of issues with bread (and pizza), amazing how a simple gesture can make a huge difference to someone's day, that's awesome.

• Like 3

Endor, LVL 40 Half-Elf Ranger 

PR and Motivation Log | Current Battle Log 

Current Challenge (Jan 2021)

5 hours ago, Endor said:

giphy.gif

Resultado de imagen de you heard me gif

• Like 3

I was feeling like the story was too silly to share, but it seems you all liked it? :)

W1D2

Movement: 20 minutes of yoga right when I woke up, a silat table mid-morning, 30 minutes of walking to do some errands, now heading for 20 more minutes of yoga before bed.

Reading: done. I'm really enjoying Marcus Aurelius' book.

• Like 4

On 25/4/2018 at 1:12 AM, Endor said:

Forgot to ask, why not cut into slices then freeze a loaf?

Good idea. I'll ask the guy if it's ok to do so. Since it's not regular bread I'm unsure.

W1D3

Movement: began the day with a few minutes of yoga and then headed for self-defence. Tough day, involving kicking technique. Fun at the same time. Also used yoga to stretch and move a little bit in short breaks during my music practice. A few stretches before bed too.

WHM: done. Cold water is easier since the weather improved. The water keeps coming out as cold as always, but since I don't feel so cold during the day, it makes it easier to bear it.

Reading: done. Instead of sitting to read, I squat on the floor. I think I spend sitting way too much time, and squatting is a very comfortable position for me to hold, so in this way I can also help my back while I read.

W1D4

Movement: 15 minutes of yoga when I woke up; then after breakfast I was feeling a bit nauseated and in low spirits. The temptation to lay down on the couch was strong, but then I thought I've been here before: my mood doesn't need to be the one deciding what I do, so I asked my boyfriend to drop me in the country on his way to work and went to walk. That was my intention at first, since my legs were killing me because of yesterday's kicking work, but after a while I said what the hell, left the trails and began going uphill in a straight line and as fast as I could. Then run my way back to the city and finished with an uphill sprint full speed. The whole thing took me about 1 hour and a half, and I know I'm going to pay for it, but the feeling I had afterwards was amazing. My body was feeling great and my mind said "you were right, this is way better than staying at home complaining about how bad you feel" :)

Then I came back home and before the shower I did 12 push-ups in 2 sets, because am I a Wolverine or what? :lol:

I don't think I will have much more time today to do anything else (and anyway, when I try to lift one leg, even my foot shakes so I probably should rest :D), but I guess I'll do a few stretches tonight before bed again, to unwind a little bit.

Reading/squatting: done.

• Like 6

It's true, when you're feeling unenergetic you almost always feel better (and more energetic) for having gone out afterwards anyway.

Also LaraCrow would be so impressed at you if she could see you these days haha :D

[Edit: probably Lara Croft as well...]

• Like 3

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

7 hours ago, SymphonicDan said:

Also LaraCrow would be so impressed at you if she could see you these days haha :D

Hahaaaa. I remember her...

Resultado de imagen de lara croft crow

I think it was @IronGlider's idea to call me that?

• Like 1

Did you have a previous name here on the forums?

*ahem* I mean in real life. Everyone uses their forum names in real life as well, right?

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

21 minutes ago, SymphonicDan said:

Did you have a previous name here on the forums?

I started as skinnyLara :D Then I succeeded to put on weight and it had to change (not that I'm not skinny anymore, but not THAT skinny).

I'd wish I could use Lara in real life *sighs* My real name is so ugly.

17 hours ago, zenLara said:

15 minutes of yoga when I woke up; then after breakfast I was feeling a bit nauseated and in low spirits. The temptation to lay down on the couch was strong, but then I thought I've been here before: my mood doesn't need to be the one deciding what I do, so I asked my boyfriend to drop me in the country on his way to work and went to walk. That was my intention at first, since my legs were killing me because of yesterday's kicking work, but after a while I said what the hell, left the trails and began going uphill in a straight line and as fast as I could. Then run my way back to the city and finished with an uphill sprint full speed. The whole thing took me about 1 hour and a half, and I know I'm going to pay for it, but the feeling I had afterwards was amazing. My body was feeling great and my mind said "you were right, this is way better than staying at home complaining about how bad you feel" :)

Then I came back home and before the shower I did 12 push-ups in 2 sets, because am I a Wolverine or what? :lol:

That was the most Wolveriney update EVER!  Way to DO the thing (instead of sitting at home complaining about the thing) :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Level 2 Ninja

Feeling sleepy the whole day, trying to eat all the food in the universe, soreness increasing every minute...

Resultado de imagen de i regret nothing gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 4/26/2018 at 2:51 PM, zenLara said:

The whole thing took me about 1 hour and a half, and I know I'm going to pay for it, but the feeling I had afterwards was amazing. My body was feeling great and my mind said "you were right, this is way better than staying at home complaining about how bad you feel" :)

YEAH YOU ARE!! 

That's so sweet of the bread guy, I really enjoyed that story!

• Like 1