FarCry3: Treva vs the Island

Treva

Catching up from the last challenge

Spoiler

I learned five important things from my last challenge that I want to carry forward into this challenge.

1) I can be confident in myself

2) If I need to be a little self involved right now just so I can get myself through, that's okay for right now, but doesn't have to continue once the crazy is over.

3) I can be happy by myself, or with someone else.

4) It isn't wrong to spend money on things that keep my body and spirit healthy.

5) Tests are dumb

I made a lot of good personal growth on the last challenge, but I lapsed physically a bit just because of the hours and the demands.  I want to keep the personal gains I made from the last challenge, and make progress physically again.  I would like to do more music stuff, but I'm not sure how this is going to work into the schedule yet.

I've been playing lots of FarCry3!  I'm going to do this challenge and the next two based on the game, since I'm going to have it lead up to my next major exam (step 2).  The big scheme for that is first: learn the material.  Second: learn the algorithm.  Third: practice applying the algorithm.  This month, we're going to finish learning the material.

far-cry-3_zoom-screen-6_09102012-jpg.883

Forage for Plants

1)Hydrate the self

2) Hydrate the plant

3) Eat the plants (healthy diet, sorta the following)

Spoiler

Breakfast: Kefir+coffee or tea

Snack: protein shake (banana, some protein powder, unsweetened almond milk, cacao powder)

Lunch: Salad/cold cuts/hummus, fruit cup.

Snack: protein bars or almonds+dried fruit

Post workout: cheese

Dinner: whatever's in there

Dessert: greek yogurt+frozen fruit.

Fight Pirates

Follow the approximate following workout guide (including making sure I know how to do S&S properly).

M Cardio+S&S

T Pilates+combat

W Cardio+S&S

Th Cardio+yoga

Fri Swim OR Wild card day

Sa Cardio+S&S

Sun Combat+yoga

The Tatau

Month 1: learn the material
Make it through kaplan step 2 CK book, and Step Up to Medicine, using cornell notes style organization.

The Spirit of the Island

Don't lose gains from previous challenges

1)Maintain Growth journal

2) practice.  Scales, pieces, whatever keeps me happy and functional.  

Here we go!  Looking forward to trying to post some screenshots for you guys as I keep on with this challenge

• Like 8

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Breathe deep.  Seek peace.  Bring a sword.  ---Kishi

Playlist for the Zombie Apocalypse

On 4/24/2018 at 7:04 AM, leglocker said:

This is awesome. I've been playing the shit out of Far Cry 5.  Far Cry 3 is still my favorite of the series.

I will absolutely be picking up Far Cry 5 at the next steam sale, pending playing after I take Step 2.

Alright, so this challenge is off to a rollicking start!  I have so far stuck to the schedule M-W today.  I've been getting 9+ hours of sleep every night trying to catch up from the last four months of sleep deprivation.  I haven't been able to practice as much because I've been cleaning...a lot...but I'm hoping to get to practicing and studying next week as I'm able to get up earlier and have to spend less time doing other things.  

Forage for plants: have been hydrating the self, and the plant.  My diet has been a little funk since I don't have any protein powder left, so I need to go shopping for that.  And I don't have fridge access, so we're back to PB&J.  

Fight Pirates: I have been doing S&S properly (so if any dragon shows up, I got points to fight it off with).  I think I've hit the right balance of cardio, strength, and flexibility.  I added a bonus sun salutation set this morning, which was a nice way to start my day.

The Tatau: I really need to buy a notebook to take notes in before I can get started.

The Spirit of the Island: My growth journal has been nice, it puts a positive spin on my day and has been acting like a battle log.  And I've added scales into my morning, because it's just like stretches.  Gotta be done, and starts my day off right.

Dude I LOVE not having to be into work until 8 or 9.  This is AMAZING.  SO GOOD.  WHAT A GOOOD.  MUCH SLEEP.  SUCH BED.  WOW.

• Like 5

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Whaaaat. 9+ hours of sleep? On a weeknight? Absurd! How does one even do that? XD

But seriously, that's awesome and amazing, and good to see that you're getting your rest.

Everything looks like it's going well so far. Strong start. This is good. It's always nice when these things get off on the right foot.

• Like 2

Nice goals! You made a lot of progress in your outlook last challenge. Absolutely keep that up.

Do you need an insulated lunch bag and a bunch of freezer packs? We have extra, I'd be happy to send you a set. PM me. That would let you take salad, yogurt, pretty much anything you want for lunch.

• Like 1

Level 58  Viking paladin

My current challenge    Battle log 

On 4/26/2018 at 9:00 AM, Kishi said:

Whaaaat. 9+ hours of sleep? On a weeknight? Absurd! How does one even do that? XD

But seriously, that's awesome and amazing, and good to see that you're getting your rest.

Everything looks like it's going well so far. Strong start. This is good. It's always nice when these things get off on the right foot.

One does that by maintaining the bedtime one had on the rotation before, but not having to get up until 2-4 hours later than previous wakeup call.  Changing from having to be in at 5 AM to having to be in at 9 AM is...amazing.  I feel like a new human.

On 4/26/2018 at 12:42 PM, Mistr said:

Nice goals! You made a lot of progress in your outlook last challenge. Absolutely keep that up.

Do you need an insulated lunch bag and a bunch of freezer packs? We have extra, I'd be happy to send you a set. PM me. That would let you take salad, yogurt, pretty much anything you want for lunch.

Thanks!  Dad and I had a good long talk, and that the places I will want to go to will be places that will look more at my letters than my test scores.  I am starting to believe that since I want to apply in Internal Medicine, and I will be a girl applying in Sports Medicine, things might be alright in the end.

I DO actually have those things, maybe I should get some more freezer packs.  Will that be sufficient?  The problem is mostly that I don't have access to a fridge (yet), but I may start asking around to use the one in the office.

Updates I forgot

I did go to the gym on Wednesday, and I actually managed to do my exercises without having my headphones in to block out all the scary people.  I was really excited about that, because I managed to keep my morale up even though I didn't have my usual sensory blockers

My test scores for surgery came out.  I don't know what they are.  I decided I don't want to look until I get my full grade back because what good will it do?  Will they help me understand what to do for step 2?  No.  Will they tell me how I will do in the course?  No.  Will thinking about it and looking at it stress me out?  Yes.  So it's going to be treated like a bad boyfriend that needs to be broken up with, and I'm not going to check, or look, or anything, because it's only going to upset me or cause me grief.  I can't delete them from my phone...but it's a start.  And I'm much better at having to cut off social communications than I am about test scores.

I am also going through the process, now that I have some time, to go through and figure out who is toxic in my life.  My mother made the excellent point that there are an awful lot of boys soaking up my time for really no good reasons, and why am I spending time trying to be nice?  There is no point, and I do agree with her in some respects.  There are some relationships I can quietly back out of, and others that I can reduce the amount of time they take out of my life.  Because that's time I could be practicing.

• Like 2

Current Challenge

Battle Log

On 4/27/2018 at 6:20 PM, Treva said:

Thanks!  Dad and I had a good long talk, and that the places I will want to go to will be places that will look more at my letters than my test scores.  I am starting to believe that since I want to apply in Internal Medicine, and I will be a girl applying in Sports Medicine, things might be alright in the end.

Good advice. I'm sure there are lots of places who want doctors who can work with real humans rather than test-taking robots.

On 4/27/2018 at 6:20 PM, Treva said:

My test scores for surgery came out.  I don't know what they are.  I decided I don't want to look until I get my full grade back because what good will it do?  Will they help me understand what to do for step 2?  No.  Will they tell me how I will do in the course?  No.  Will thinking about it and looking at it stress me out?  Yes.  So it's going to be treated like a bad boyfriend that needs to be broken up with, and I'm not going to check, or look, or anything, because it's only going to upset me or cause me grief.  I can't delete them from my phone...but it's a start.  And I'm much better at having to cut off social communications than I am about test scores.

I am also going through the process, now that I have some time, to go through and figure out who is toxic in my life.  My mother made the excellent point that there are an awful lot of boys soaking up my time for really no good reasons, and why am I spending time trying to be nice?  There is no point, and I do agree with her in some respects.  There are some relationships I can quietly back out of, and others that I can reduce the amount of time they take out of my life.  Because that's time I could be practicing.

Progress! Lots and lots of progress on making good choices for your life. Considering how much crap you have to put up with for school, there is no reason at all to put up with any from your so-called friends. If you get joy out of seeing someone, all good. If not, think about what you would rather be doing. You have a list. ;) 

• Like 2

Level 58  Viking paladin

On 4/30/2018 at 5:02 PM, Mistr said:

Good advice. I'm sure there are lots of places who want doctors who can work with real humans rather than test-taking robots.

I can definitely work better with humans than with test taking robots.  And I already know how to respond "wow what about your step 1 scores".  It's all about learning the style rather than the material, which no one really talked about with me, and the people who were supposed to help me wrote me off immediately.  

On 4/30/2018 at 5:02 PM, Mistr said:

Progress! Lots and lots of progress on making good choices for your life. Considering how much crap you have to put up with for school, there is no reason at all to put up with any from your so-called friends. If you get joy out of seeing someone, all good. If not, think about what you would rather be doing. You have a list. ;) 

Thanks!! I am really trying not to be such a child?  I spend a lot of time talking to other people not because it's good for me, but because it helps them feel better.  Now that that is going to be my job, I think I am entitled to be friends with people that I actually like.  And oh god do I have a list >.<

Midweek update

Forage for plants: I dug out two freezer packs from the bowels of the freezer, so I will start to use those this week or next (probably next) for salad lunches.  MY diet wasn't great yesterday, since our attending took us out for rita's afterwards (I bowed to peer pressure and got a gelati).  Part of it is poor self control because I'm Tired and Cranky and I have A lot of Emotions about Sick Kids and part of it is just me trying to eat through what's about to go bad in the house.

Fight Pirates: the last two days I got home late from work (late being 7PM), so no gym or exercise, just cranking through the studying.  Today we get back on the horse.  Also I have accepted that I am not a runner, I am a swimmer, and as soon as I can get back into the pool I should.  I want to keep weight bearing exercises because I 30-40 years I don't want to be worrying about osteoporosis, but I won't make being a great runner a priority.

Tatau: I got through the entire OB section, so today I start peds.  The sequence planned for The Benefit of Treva's Brain is OB-->Genetics/Peds-->MeDiCiNe AhhhaaAAA-->Neuro/psych-->Surgery-->gyn

I can throw in ethics and biostats somewhere, probably with peds.

The Spirit of the Island: I've been in a real emotional funk so it's been hard to wake up motivated each day.  Surgery spoiled me in that regard, so now it's jumping into a different mindset of "here's how to be enthusiastic when you're not enthusiastic, also get your ass out of bed please".

And off I go to see small humans.  

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Battle Log

4 hours ago, Treva said:

Forage for plants: I dug out two freezer packs from the bowels of the freezer, so I will start to use those this week or next (probably next) for salad lunches.  MY diet wasn't great yesterday, since our attending took us out for rita's afterwards (I bowed to peer pressure and got a gelati).  Part of it is poor self control because I'm Tired and Cranky and I have A lot of Emotions about Sick Kids and part of it is just me trying to eat through what's about to go bad in the house.

Eh. Sometimes food is a social thing rather than a nourishment/chemical thing. It happens. Just remember - you're always one bite away from being back on track.

I definitely get what it's like to eat badly on account of going through leftovers. But they'll be gone eventually. You'd be surprised how quick a body can respond when you go back to the better stuff.

6 hours ago, Treva said:

Fight Pirates: the last two days I got home late from work (late being 7PM), so no gym or exercise, just cranking through the studying.  Today we get back on the horse.  Also I have accepted that I am not a runner, I am a swimmer, and as soon as I can get back into the pool I should.  I want to keep weight bearing exercises because I 30-40 years I don't want to be worrying about osteoporosis, but I won't make being a great runner a priority.

That's what Kettlebells are for. :D

6 hours ago, Treva said:

The Spirit of the Island: I've been in a real emotional funk so it's been hard to wake up motivated each day.  Surgery spoiled me in that regard, so now it's jumping into a different mindset of "here's how to be enthusiastic when you're not enthusiastic, also get your ass out of bed please".

Yup. That's how it goes sometimes. Enthusiasm is fickle and waxes and wanes. Discipline, on the other hand, gets you up and out of bed.

You're doing fine. Just keep doing!

• Like 3
On 5/3/2018 at 2:19 PM, Kishi said:

Eh. Sometimes food is a social thing rather than a nourishment/chemical thing. It happens. Just remember - you're always one bite away from being back on track.

I definitely get what it's like to eat badly on account of going through leftovers. But they'll be gone eventually. You'd be surprised how quick a body can respond when you go back to the better stuff.

I am already attempting to get back on the better stuff.  There is less and less chocolate in the house, and more and more fresh fruits and veggies.  Trying to get all that on a budget is a little wicked.

That's what Kettlebells are for. :D

oh yeah.  Why do I keep forgetting this.

Yup. That's how it goes sometimes. Enthusiasm is fickle and waxes and wanes. Discipline, on the other hand, gets you up and out of bed.

You're doing fine. Just keep doing!

This may or may not have turned the end of my week into an "oh my gawd I HAVE lost all my discipline".  So today I spent the entire morning and a good portion of the afternoon polishing the entire four octaves of bells I use at work, which is somewhere around 40-50 bells, as an exercise in discipline.  It took about 3 hours, and I feel much better for it, and much more on track.  Also things went terrible with gaming today, so now I feel sufficiently jaded to stay away from any group stuff for a while.  Although subsequently since I was having at least two feelings, I ate the rest of my chocolate bunny from easter.  Stupid shark week.

I also have a much better sense of my schedule for this rotation, so I can also better utilize my time.  

Forage for Plants: So I am sorta through the leftovers, and I have finally been able to find all my freezerpacks, and my old insulated lunchbox, so per @Mistr I can start bringing salads.  I made hummus this week.  I also realized if I eat a little bit more than I usually do at breakfast (coffee and kefir), I'm much less hungry throughout my day.  I've been good about drinking lots of tea and water, and my aloe plant is looking much happier now that I water her regularly.  

Breakfast: Kefir, whole grain toast with anchovies or avacado.  Coffeeeeeee
Lunch: Salad with homemade hummus
Preworkout snack: halos, dried fruit, nuts
Emergency Pass Out Kept in bag: dried cranberries.

Post workout: thin sliced low fat cheese

Dinner: ???

Dessert: nonfat plain yogurt and frozen mangos.

Hydration:  Green tea in the AM (iced!), water in PM.

Fight Pirates: Uh, so now I have realized I really don't have to be into work until 8:30, which means I can get up at 6 to do things.  Made it to the gym 4 times this past week, but that was all.  The new schedule will be to get up early, and in the morning take some time to do the yoga/pilates/combat, and leave the evenings either for gym or more home combat training.  I think I need to find drills for my sword.  I'm not practicing as much because I feel like I know all the basic moves, and I don't know how to put things together.

Also very important gym news: I accidentally started cleaning the wrong bike after my workout, and the nice man on the bike next to me who was probably captain america laughed it off with me and actually talked to me for more than a few seconds.  We have gone from Treva from day one of NF who was terrified of the gym because she wasn't one of the pretty people allowed there to she and captain america saying "ah yes see you around at this gym place".  DUDE GYM IS FOR EVERYONE GUYS I BELIEVE THE GOSPEL TRUTH NOW.

The Tatau: I have gotten through the OB chapter, and i'm about halfway through pediatrics.  It's slower going than I expected, so I'm glad I started three months out from the exam.  

The Spirit of the Island: since I can get up early and get stuff done in the morning, I'm thinking of shifting organ practice to the morning after I warm up with some yoga/slow combat etc.  I done too much for the growth journal today, I've gotten lazy.  

So the new schedule is to get up early ish at 6 to do my warmup yoga and warmup combat, hit the organ bench for about an hour, and then have breakfast to capitalize on my metabolism, then get ready to go to work.  Always carry my bag with me, since I never know which days I'll be free to go to the gym.  When I get home, stay away from watching netflix after homework and find something else more productive to do.  I never thought I'd be in the camp of people who come home and at 9 pm turn on the TV to veg, but god I am turning into that heathen and I need to get back on track.

• Like 3

Current Challenge

Battle Log

On 5/6/2018 at 5:32 PM, Treva said:

So today I spent the entire morning and a good portion of the afternoon polishing the entire four octaves of bells I use at work, which is somewhere around 40-50 bells, as an exercise in discipline.  It took about 3 hours, and I feel much better for it, and much more on track.

I know what you mean about getting that type of tedious task done. You dread it, put it off, feel guilty about it, have to work up gumption to do it, then feel great afterwards.

Although subsequently since I was having at least two feelings, I ate the rest of my chocolate bunny from easter.  Stupid shark week.

Shark week or just having all the Feels, that is what chocolate is for. If you want to cut back on sugar, just buy high percent chocolate or cacao nibs. It's full of antioxidants. Health food for you and everyone you have to deal with. ;) 

Forage for Plants: So I am sorta through the leftovers, and I have finally been able to find all my freezerpacks, and my old insulated lunchbox, so per @Mistr I can start bringing salads.  I made hummus this week.  I also realized if I eat a little bit more than I usually do at breakfast (coffee and kefir), I'm much less hungry throughout my day.  I've been good about drinking lots of tea and water, and my aloe plant is looking much happier now that I water her regularly.  

Breakfast: Kefir, whole grain toast with anchovies or avacado.  Coffeeeeeee
Lunch: Salad with homemade hummus
Preworkout snack: halos, dried fruit, nuts
Emergency Pass Out Kept in bag: dried cranberries.

Post workout: thin sliced low fat cheese

Dinner: ???

Dessert: nonfat plain yogurt and frozen mangos.

Hydration:  Green tea in the AM (iced!), water in PM.

Nice food plan. Having lots of protein at breakfast will help you feel full longer into the day.

I recommend adding roasted almonds to your emergency food stash. Those give some protein and fat to keep you going along with the sugar from the cranberries. I keep almonds around instead of trail mix because I don't especially like almonds. I'll happily snack on trail mix, but I leave the almonds alone unless I'm really hungry. You probably have something that could fill that slot.

We have gone from Treva from day one of NF who was terrified of the gym because she wasn't one of the pretty people allowed there to she and captain america saying "ah yes see you around at this gym place".  DUDE GYM IS FOR EVERYONE GUYS I BELIEVE THE GOSPEL TRUTH NOW.

YAY!  Progress!

• Like 1

Level 58  Viking paladin

On 5/6/2018 at 7:32 PM, Treva said:

When I get home, stay away from watching netflix after homework and find something else more productive to do.  I never thought I'd be in the camp of people who come home and at 9 pm turn on the TV to veg, but god I am turning into that heathen and I need to get back on track.

This may be a function of your brain just needing to shut off for a while.  With your workload, that's fairly likely.  Is there anything productively brainless you could do then?

1 hour ago, Mistr said:

We have gone from Treva from day one of NF who was terrified of the gym because she wasn't one of the pretty people allowed there to she and captain america saying "ah yes see you around at this gym place".  DUDE GYM IS FOR EVERYONE GUYS I BELIEVE THE GOSPEL TRUTH NOW.

ABSOLUTELY!

Behave yourself, badly if necessary.

Current Challenge

Judo - Shodan

My Character

Well it was all really good until I didn't get out of work until 6 again and I'm just :( I can't get out at 6, gym, watch breaking bad with my roommate, and get study in.  Or, normally I can...if I am not being a dumb butt like I am now and sitting on the couch wallowing in self pity.

Hormones, man.  Hormones.

On 5/8/2018 at 12:40 PM, Mistr said:

I know what you mean about getting that type of tedious task done. You dread it, put it off, feel guilty about it, have to work up gumption to do it, then feel great afterwards.

I had been so worried I was getting undisciplined, so that's why I did it.  Also I knew it had to happen so.  But it helped me get back into a can do attitude.

Shark week or just having all the Feels, that is what chocolate is for. If you want to cut back on sugar, just buy high percent chocolate or cacao nibs. It's full of antioxidants. Health food for you and everyone you have to deal with. ;) 

I am such an addict, although when I talked about it today with the ladies at work, they said I was too petite to love chocolate as much as I said I did.  I've never been called petite before, so.  There's that.

oh boy where do I get cacao nibs?  I think I may need some!!!!  I am almost through all my easter chocolate.  I have another bunny to go.  I ate the cookies and cream one. I regret nothing.

Nice food plan. Having lots of protein at breakfast will help you feel full longer into the day.

I recommend adding roasted almonds to your emergency food stash. Those give some protein and fat to keep you going along with the sugar from the cranberries. I keep almonds around instead of trail mix because I don't especially like almonds. I'll happily snack on trail mix, but I leave the almonds alone unless I'm really hungry. You probably have something that could fill that slot.

I have actually been totally shocked at how much I don't have to snack or supplement my meals when I eat a bigger breakfast.  It only amounts to about 200 calories more, but it means my salad and fruit cup at lunch are totally filling, and I really only start to get hungry at 6 pm...when I'm still at work.  I like the idea of an emergency stash that is something I'll only eat if I'm desperate.  

YAY!  Progress!

On 5/8/2018 at 2:24 PM, Teirin said:

ABSOLUTELY!

IT IS SUCH A VALID THING

Ah well, into every challenge, a hill must plop itself down in front of me.  

Forage for plants: so this was going great up until today when I bought a snack bag of chips for myself on the way home.  I have been In the Dumps in an Aggressive Way and I am still trying to figure out why.  I think it's because I know I'm coming up into residency app time, where I will be compared to my fellow classmates, and I know that I'm going to walk into an advisor's office, and they'll say "all your extracurriculars are music" and I'm like "yes" and they're like "that's really dumb and will not help your application" and then it gets to be so bad and awful so I had potato chips.  But I've been drinking lots of water and green tea and am extremely hydrated

Fight Pirates: so even though I got out late again today I still went to the gym.  I've also been great about getting up early in the mornings to yoga/combat and then practice.  Part of my angst could absolutely be that I spend about 6 hours of my day in a windowless room reviewing charts and am stuck listening to rap and R&B and when you start your day with the glory and fire of the french romantic and the long twentieth and then you go to work and...you get the idea.

The Tatau: Ugh.  If only I could have an extra two hours in my day.  I have about 20 pages to go in the peds chapter, and then I'm going to crack on to medicine.  I think I may forgo fun tomorrow and just get the work done, because I know I've got to spend the weekend figuring out how to turn an artistic career into something that checks boxes and doesn't make anyone uncomfortable.

The Spirit of the Island: Morning organ practice/morning yoga/morning combat has worked out BLINDINGLY well.  I can feel myself making progress on my pieces, and I'm not too tired to work on the bach, and I'm even getting better at transposition.  Of course none of this will help me get into a residency, but for an hour every day I get to be me.  Well, two hours if you count yoga and breakfast.  For two hours every day I get to feel great.

And then it all goes to hell in a handbasket soon after, but hey, such is life.

Also anyone who calls a consult at 3:00 needs to understand the depth of their actions when there is a months worth of progress notes to read for said consult.

• Like 2

Current Challenge

Battle Log

12 hours ago, Treva said:

Well it was all really good until I didn't get out of work until 6 again and I'm just :( I can't get out at 6, gym, watch breaking bad with my roommate, and get study in.  Or, normally I can...if I am not being a dumb butt like I am now and sitting on the couch wallowing in self pity.

Hormones, man.  Hormones.

It's a temporary thing and it happens sometimes. We don't get where we are because of one day; it's the overall process that gets us anywhere, for better or for worse. One day doesn't make or break you, and it's okay to take some time every now and again to worry about keeping your head on straight.

Forage for plants: so this was going great up until today when I bought a snack bag of chips for myself on the way home.  I have been In the Dumps in an Aggressive Way and I am still trying to figure out why.  I think it's because I know I'm coming up into residency app time, where I will be compared to my fellow classmates, and I know that I'm going to walk into an advisor's office, and they'll say "all your extracurriculars are music" and I'm like "yes" and they're like "that's really dumb and will not help your application" and then it gets to be so bad and awful so I had potato chips.  But I've been drinking lots of water and green tea and am extremely hydrated

Welp. That's it. The Paleo Gods have forsaken you. Time to take up the ashes and sackcloth because you had one bag of potato chips.

Like a little snack bag. Like not even a whole bag but just a little thing.

REPENT

/sarcasm

Also, not all of your extracurriculars are music. Some of them involve swords. Offer to demonstrate on the advisor if you have to. "Don't you mean for?" No. No I don't.

But really, I think it'll come down to how you sell it. Music, particularly at the level you play, involves lots of concentration and multi-tasking. You have to be precise, and if things go wrong in the piece then you have to work to recover it. I'd say those are skills that totally have carryover into medicine.

Fight Pirates: so even though I got out late again today I still went to the gym.  I've also been great about getting up early in the mornings to yoga/combat and then practice.  Part of my angst could absolutely be that I spend about 6 hours of my day in a windowless room reviewing charts and am stuck listening to rap and R&B and when you start your day with the glory and fire of the french romantic and the long twentieth and then you go to work and...you get the idea.

Is there any way you could bring music of your own to listen to? Would they object if you popped some earbuds into your phone and just went from there?

Also, good for you for making the gym! #Priorities - you have them.

The Spirit of the Island: Morning organ practice/morning yoga/morning combat has worked out BLINDINGLY well.  I can feel myself making progress on my pieces, and I'm not too tired to work on the bach, and I'm even getting better at transposition.  Of course none of this will help me get into a residency, but for an hour every day I get to be me.  Well, two hours if you count yoga and breakfast.  For two hours every day I get to feel great.

It'll totally help you get into a residency. It sets your mind in a place where it can be productive and do good work. I may be naïve, but I don't think this is the impediment you think it is.

And like you say - what is a challenge without a hill?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
On 5/11/2018 at 10:21 AM, Kishi said:

It's a temporary thing and it happens sometimes. We don't get where we are because of one day; it's the overall process that gets us anywhere, for better or for worse. One day doesn't make or break you, and it's okay to take some time every now and again to worry about keeping your head on straight.

Ah yes, enjoying the process.  A thing I am not great at, but working on.  And I suppose one does need time to reflect and get your head back in the game.

Welp. That's it. The Paleo Gods have forsaken you. Time to take up the ashes and sackcloth because you had one bag of potato chips.

Like a little snack bag. Like not even a whole bag but just a little thing.

REPENT

/sarcasm

Also, not all of your extracurriculars are music. Some of them involve swords. Offer to demonstrate on the advisor if you have to. "Don't you mean for?" No. No I don't.

But really, I think it'll come down to how you sell it. Music, particularly at the level you play, involves lots of concentration and multi-tasking. You have to be precise, and if things go wrong in the piece then you have to work to recover it. I'd say those are skills that totally have carryover into medicine.

I AM TOTALLY REPENTING WITH SACKCLOTH OKAY.  I mean, it happens and then pizza happened that weekend, but I think overall things are going much better with the diet.  

And I did work with my sister and my mother to get my resume to get the skills I have in music to look like they carry over into medicine.  I'm still not ready to go talk to the administration about what I'm interested in or how my application will look.

s there any way you could bring music of your own to listen to? Would they object if you popped some earbuds into your phone and just went from there?

Also, good for you for making the gym! #Priorities - you have them.

I actually can't, there's a lot of phone answering and alarms that happen, and I'd love to pop earbuds in myself, but it's softly whatever my office owner wants or nothing.

Thanks!  I went to the gym today even though I was under the weather the past two days, just for some gentle cycling, and I do feel a bit better!

It'll totally help you get into a residency. It sets your mind in a place where it can be productive and do good work. I may be naïve, but I don't think this is the impediment you think it is.

And like you say - what is a challenge without a hill?

I hope it's not an impediment.  The way everyone talks to me about it makes me think it is, so...I'm just not telling anyone about it

A goodness did I hit a hill this week, I felt quite not okay earlier this week, and I was stuck at work until around 7 monday and tuesday, with the added bonus of needing to do my presentation on monday, and get my CV and some personal things in yesterday.  So those got prioritized over gym.  But I've been eating healthy with my salads, and when I'm home I'm going for the willpower by taking another thirty seconds to avoid the chocolate, and have a cup of unsweetened almond milk and some peanut butter instead.  

I made it to the gym today, which I feel great about considering I wasn't feeling quite well the other few days.  I wasn't getting up early this week, but I think I can start back onto it, in the coming weeks.  

My body isn't where I want it to be yet, but I can see now how to get there.

• Like 2

Current Challenge

Battle Log

DOUBLE POST DOUBLE POST seeing as I am feeling loads better

ggnzy84k5c1uvceinhxm.jpg

So we are about two weeks out from The Great Personal Panniculectomy of 2018, aka I just sorta stopped talking to the people causing me drama?  And surprisingly, I feel more emotionally stable and less crawling on the ground screaming draaamaaaa.  We're through the week of self flagellating "Why did I let the clingers klingon for so long?", which was substantially helped by going to the gym and bossing out some kettlebell sets.

Forage for Plants: I have been forgetting to water my aloe plant secondary to being unwell, but I'm staying on the healthy bandwagon, and have been realizing when and how I've been using chocolate or other junk food to cope with what's been going on at work.  It's not bad (as Kishi said before, one small bag of chips does not an unhealthy diet make), but it's certainly a bad habit I want to nip in the bud before it gets out of control. So instead of chocolate, my new treat is a spoonful of natural peanut butter and a cup of unsweetened almond milk.  Probably about 100 calories, but oh so yummy.  

Fight Pirates: So I've been a slacker on the exercise front, but now that I'm feeling better, I can get back into it.  I'm going home this weekend, which will limit my combat workout options, but I can still do yoga and pilates in my room.  Before I started feeling gross I was doing full simple sets in under 15 minutes, swapping between the 15 and the 20lb bells as needed.  (warmups with the 20, as many swings and getups as I can until I need to switch down).  My question is for handswitching.  It's in my book but i'm having trouble finding good videos online.  A lot of them advocate twisting the kettlebell handle to be vertical rather than horizontal, and the amount of torque that could put on the elbow joint is worrisome to me.  Thoughts?  Help?

The Tatau: I've started studying again!  I'm through peds, and since the GYN section is only 20 pages, I figured I'd blast through it before I started medicine (which will definitely need it's own notebook).  Personal growth crap below the cut to spare you people.

Spoiler

I've also just sunk myself headfirst into the c's get MD's camp.  I'm not getting c's, but the notion of "I am going to be a doctor, I don't know what kind, I'll figure it out as I go, and where ever I blossom, I do."  and also no one here can grade me or tell me that I'm going to be a good or bad doctor, because to me, the system here is at least somewhat, if not definitely flawed.  I know what kind of doctor I want to and can be, and if they can't see it here, well I'm an american citizen from a USA school, so I'll get a residency somewhere that isn't here, where I can be the kind of doctor I intend to be.  Which, for the record, is a really smart compassionate badass who can sling IV lines, run codes, splint limbs, and can't be told by anyone she doesn't know what dolutegravir is or how to treat heart failure.  I'm not there yet, but I'm gonna work my ass off to get it.  

The Spirit of the Island: so while I haven't been up to morning practice yet, I have been bringing my copies of The American Organist to read while I'm on the bike, and I've been noting articles which will be good to study from.  It's getting me back in the game and helping me remember all the stuff I learned from my last career.  

I like pairing my yoga/pilates/combat with my pipe organ in the morning. It's very archaic and I like my life that way.  

• Like 3

Current Challenge

Battle Log

On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 5:14 PM, Treva said:

My question is for handswitching.  It's in my book but i'm having trouble finding good videos online.  A lot of them advocate twisting the kettlebell handle to be vertical rather than horizontal, and the amount of torque that could put on the elbow joint is worrisome to me.  Thoughts?  Help?

Eh. I'm not a big fan of going vertical. I don't like the torque and I think that given the technical demands of handswitching that adding an extra element doesn't make it worth anything more. I do find a small degree of supinated twisting when the bell's on the downswing, but this corrects to neutral on the upswing and I haven't experienced any torque that way.

Honestly, the get ups are more worrisome because the elbow's a single track joint rather than multi-track like the shoulders and the hips, and I didn't respect that, and that's where a lot of my problems have come from. So, you know, that's what I'd watch if I were you.

On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 5:14 PM, Treva said:

The Tatau: I've started studying again!  I'm through peds, and since the GYN section is only 20 pages, I figured I'd blast through it before I started medicine (which will definitely need it's own notebook).  Personal growth crap below the cut to spare you people.

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

It was the same with the engineers back when I was in school. Cs get degrees.

Anyway! It sounds like you managed to keep up with the good even without the psych training to keep you honest to it. I like that. Excellent work!

On 5/18/2018 at 11:27 AM, Teirin said:

The "Personal growth crap" is excellent and you describe the exact kind of doctor I and a lot of other people would want to have.    Glad you're feeling better.

:3 :3 :3 wehhhh thank you >.<

On 5/21/2018 at 1:48 PM, Kishi said:

Eh. I'm not a big fan of going vertical. I don't like the torque and I think that given the technical demands of handswitching that adding an extra element doesn't make it worth anything more. I do find a small degree of supinated twisting when the bell's on the downswing, but this corrects to neutral on the upswing and I haven't experienced any torque that way.

Honestly, the get ups are more worrisome because the elbow's a single track joint rather than multi-track like the shoulders and the hips, and I didn't respect that, and that's where a lot of my problems have come from. So, you know, that's what I'd watch if I were you.

Yeah see that was my concern.  The elbow joint is not necessarily stabilized against rotational forces beyond it's ligaments, which really aren't going to provide and stabilizing/counterrotational forces at all, unlike the shoulder or the hip which are 1) designed for rotational motion and 2) have the appropriate surrounding soft tissue structures to compensate for the.   Blah blah no one wanted a physics lecture today, treva.

I'll stay old fashioned and switch my weights on the floor.  Respect the bell.

On 5/21/2018 at 1:48 PM, Kishi said:

Anyway! It sounds like you managed to keep up with the good even without the psych training to keep you honest to it. I like that. Excellent work!

I DO NOT KNOW HOW THIS HAPPENED.  Or rather, I think I was on a rotation with some unconventional doctors, and it was just nice to have that be a visible option for me?  Golly gosh I dunno how this one worked out.  

HOW IS IT ALREADY WEEK ZERO?  What is going on people.  What.  Cannot even.  Do not know how to function.  So let's do a challenge wrap up!!

Forage for plants: So I have been watering my plant, watering myself, and have a diet now that is super healthy and doesn't leave me with a grumbly stomach and feeling like I'm going to pass out.  Winning!  I still have lapses for junk food, but they are fewer, and I am getting better about addressing the underlying issues of eating to cope with how I feel. 100% completion.

Fight Pirates: So on the bad side, I didn't follow the schedule I set out for myself exactly; I didn't know how bad the hours would be, and that prevented me from getting to the gym as much as I'd like.  However, I have a much better sense of how I can reach my fitness goal.  I also have been able to incorporate some of the things I really slack on (like combat and pilates) in my daily routine.  The new Using the AM has been good for getting things done, and has been good for preventing me from wallowing in self pity and be unable to get out of bed.  65% completion.  

The Tatau: So I didn't get as far as I wanted to in my studying, but I did get started.  I'm going to finish GYN tonight hell or high water, and then I have a plan to crank through medicine.  The new added bonus is that I also found a new place to study at school.  There are big windows, good lighting, easily accessible coffee, and all styles of study (serious desk, coffee table, couch).  So I'm looking forward to using this space in the coming month as I continue to study for step 2. 75% completion+10% bonus for finding a new place to study=85% completion

The Spirit of the Island: So I wasn't as diligent about my personal growth journal, but I have gotten WAY back into practicing by putting it first thing in the morning.  I use yoga to warm up for combat, combat to warm up for practice, and by the time I've done those things I've knocked off three of my mandatory daily activities.  So I didn't adhere to one of the guidelines, but boy did I finally solve a problem like practice time with some levels of super discipline.  60% completion+25% for Achieving a Mastery Level Skill/taking out a pirate outpost without breaking stealth=85% completion.

Personal growth:

Friends: So I finally stopped talking to some people who were getting into morally tenuous ground for me.  It's been really good to not have that drama in my life; I find I am more focused in my work and feel less like I need to constantly vent.

School: Just flat out ignoring stuff from the administration and my grades has been good for my self esteem.  I know it's not necessarily fixing the problem, but it's giving me time to figure out how to fix the problem before I go ahead and keep digging out more wounds.  It also allows me to focus on the measures of success that will matter later, like did I do right by my patients today?  Did I accomplish the things my attending wanted me to?  Am I becoming the aforementioned badass I have dreamed of being?

Future/Personal: Hell, I've gotten better at emailing, and I've gotten the guts to email some people who may actually be able to help me with my future.  And I've even decided on how I'm going to get there (categorical internal medicine, sports medicine fellowship).  Do I know anything about the sportsball?  Nope.  Do I know the things about the physics and the physiology of motion?  hella yes.  

Overall goal of surviving the island and getting back on my fitness track?  Totally met.  I didn't play as much farcry3 as I expected, mostly because I was so busy working out and studying!  Even though I didn't quite meet all the goals I set out for myself at the beginning and I still have a long way to go, I am really happy with how this challenge went.  

• Like 2

Current Challenge

Battle Log

42 minutes ago, Treva said:

Friends: So I finally stopped talking to some people who were getting into morally tenuous ground for me.  It's been really good to not have that drama in my life; I find I am more focused in my work and feel less like I need to constantly vent.

School: Just flat out ignoring stuff from the administration and my grades has been good for my self esteem.  I know it's not necessarily fixing the problem, but it's giving me time to figure out how to fix the problem before I go ahead and keep digging out more wounds.  It also allows me to focus on the measures of success that will matter later, like did I do right by my patients today?  Did I accomplish the things my attending wanted me to?  Am I becoming the aforementioned badass I have dreamed of being?

Future/Personal: Hell, I've gotten better at emailing, and I've gotten the guts to email some people who may actually be able to help me with my future.  And I've even decided on how I'm going to get there (categorical internal medicine, sports medicine fellowship).  Do I know anything about the sportsball?  Nope.  Do I know the things about the physics and the physiology of motion?  hella yes.  

Overall goal of surviving the island and getting back on my fitness track?  Totally met.  I didn't play as much farcry3 as I expected, mostly because I was so busy working out and studying!  Even though I didn't quite meet all the goals I set out for myself at the beginning and I still have a long way to go, I am really happy with how this challenge went.  

:love_heart::love_heart::love_heart::love_heart::love_heart::love_heart::love_heart::love_heart::love_heart::love_heart::love_heart::love_heart::love_heart::love_heart::love_heart::love_heart::love_heart::love_heart::love_heart::love_heart::love_heart::love_heart::love_heart::love_heart::love_heart::love_heart::love_heart::love_heart::love_heart::love_heart::love_heart::love_heart::love_heart::love_heart::love_heart::love_heart::love_heart::love_heart::love_heart::love_heart::love_heart::love_heart::love_heart::love_heart::love_heart::love_heart::love_heart::love_heart::love_heart::love_heart::love_heart::love_heart::love_heart::love_heart::love_heart::love_heart::love_heart::love_heart::love_heart::love_heart::love_heart::love_heart::love_heart::love_heart::love_heart:

• Like 2

Behave yourself, badly if necessary.

Current Challenge

Judo - Shodan

My Character

14 minutes ago, Treva said:

Yeah see that was my concern.  The elbow joint is not necessarily stabilized against rotational forces beyond it's ligaments, which really aren't going to provide and stabilizing/counterrotational forces at all, unlike the shoulder or the hip which are 1) designed for rotational motion and 2) have the appropriate surrounding soft tissue structures to compensate for the.   Blah blah no one wanted a physics lecture today, treva.

Not at all! See, that's something I didn't really respect especially when it got to the point that I started going heavy under Get Ups. You really have to pull yourself under the bell rather than trying to prop it up with the arm in the beginning position.

17 minutes ago, Treva said:

I'll stay old fashioned and switch my weights on the floor.  Respect the bell.

For true. The only time you'll ever need to do switches is when you "Flip The Crazy Switch" and go for broke on swings. It's actually not that hard, but you do wind up having to catch in mid-air and adding a twisty turny element to it is not useful. Frankly, you'll have enough problems when that comes.

20 minutes ago, Treva said:

Huzzah! Awesome! All in all it sounds like this one went really well for you. You might not have met the goals you set out for, but you took steps toward them, and in the end, that's what these things are all about. Great work!

• Like 1
On 5/21/2018 at 3:57 PM, Kishi said:

Not at all! See, that's something I didn't really respect especially when it got to the point that I started going heavy under Get Ups. You really have to pull yourself under the bell rather than trying to prop it up with the arm in the beginning position

Well now I feel much better. I’ve been thinking about it a bit like a Wonder Woman pose, and thinking about a string pulling upward from the dorsal side of the wrist, forcing me to keep that wrist flexed and the bell from dropping off at bad points on the arm.

or true. The only time you'll ever need to do switches is when you "Flip The Crazy Switch" and go for broke on swings. It's actually not that hard, but you do wind up having to catch in mid-air and adding a twisty turny element to it is not useful. Frankly, you'll have enough problems when that comes.

Ah man I’m just here to build muscle and not be such a weakling. If it’s not useful and kind of unsafe, no reason to do it.

Huzzah! Awesome! All in all it sounds like this one went really well for you. You might not have met the goals you set out for, but you took steps toward them, and in the end, that's what these things are all about. Great work!

Agh thanks!!!! Considering this is my first real get back on track challenge in four months, accomplishing anything makes me feel good. 

15 hours ago, Mistr said:

Great job on your challenge! Especially staying away from the so-called friends and school admin people who were causing stress. It is wonderful to see how much progress you have made over the last year in taking care of yourself while you get your MD. You've got this!

Thank you thank you! I’m most excited about not being so cranky I can’t pay attention to other people’s challeges. And, you know, less stress. Thanks for staying tuned on my challenge.

You know, you’re probably right. Progress is progress is progress.

also @Teirin right back at you, thank you for your hearts of encouragement 

• Like 3

Current Challenge

Battle Log