Starting Point:

STR: 2

DEX: 2

STA: 5

CON: 2

WIS: 2

CHA: 2

Reason for goals:

I have a hilly 15k coming up in July. I have wanted to run this race for years now but always been too out of shape. I do not want to be near the cut off times of two hours, I want to ensure I am a good margin faster than that.

Goals:

Run hill specific runs at least 6 times for more than three miles. STR: 4

Endurance running to run a 10k at least 6 times, a 5k at least 6 times, and a mile at least 6 times (so I should average at least 3 of these runs a week). STA: 6

Try 3 new classes at my gym (I have already done cycling so many times, but nothing else). DEX 3

Read three more books (average 2 weeks per book). WIS 2

Got a 4 mile run in this morning (plus another 1 mile walk of the dog). A good start to the goal!

I have 30 pages left in Sushi for Beginners and I am 38 pages into Born To Run, so I will count finishing both books as one complete book for this challenge.

So I read a bunch of chapters from Born to Run.

My old sneakers were starting to talk (the tread is detaching from the sole). Since I had an extra $100 in my paycheck (from a physical activity rebate, woohoo), my wife said I could use it for clothes that needed to be replaced. So I went out shopping yesterday. I bought my first pair of minimalist shoes (Fila Skele-Toes). I figured they are cheap and I can figure out if I like this style of shoe before buying a more expensive version. I also bought a pair of cheap New Balance "regular" running shoes. I also bought 11 pair of socks (been holding out on buying new socks until I got new shoes). I still need to buy some smaller underwear and bodyglide (my nipples still hurt sometimes from running 13 miles in the rain ten days ago). I will keep my old sneaks for rainy day runs.

I wanted to run a 10k in my new cheap sneakers this morning, but since it started raining I only rain a 5k (didn't want my new sneakers getting drenched and smelly). But I ran that 5k at 30:54, which is 1:29 faster than my recent PR. It also finally passes my ambitious goal from the last challenge.

When I found out I won the challenge yesterday, I was so pumped. Can't wait for the T shirt! I wanted to run, but being at work I didn't want to get sweaty. So I did a set of push ups. I did 25 (my old PR was 20). I decided I am going to finish last challenge's goals too (one set 35 pushups and one set 100 squats).

In the last week or so, I started to be able to do my first full chin up and first pull up! I never made this a goal since I felt I had no control over when it would happen, I just continually performed things that would benefit both those pulls.

And I am so close to being able to wear my wedding ring again (I wore it all yesterday, but today it is a tad tight so I am leaving it off for now)!

Thanks for all the encouragement! I will definitely take a photo in my tshirt.

Yesterday I started doing a new trick, doing back flips on my pull up bar. I use the wall for one step and the bar as the second step, then hand upside down for a bit, then rotate fully around and jump down. More fun than anything else, I love doing things like this at the playground when I was growing up.

Spent a few hours yesterday in my new Skele-Toes while working standing up. No problems, though it still feels weird to have something between my toes. So I took a 0.4 mile walk/run in them this morning (a run/walk since I also had the dog and three year old in tow and the three year old likes to sprint to the next mailbox and take a break).

This morning I did my weekly StrongLifts 5x5 workout today (followed by an bonus press specific workout since I want to bench big plates). Good progress on most of the lifts. Normally I do 5 reps for my deadlifts at 135 or 145 pounds. Today I focused on making my grip super tight, and the 135 seemed too easy. So I bumped it up to 185. Then I lifted it (once). I deadlifted more than my body weight.

When I came home after my workout, I did a wide grip pullup with ease. So now I can do a chin up, close grip pull up, and now a wide grip pull up.

The ring is a huge motivator. I asked my wife why she gets an engagement ring and I don't, so she got me a ring early (so I wore it for about 1.5 years prior to our marriage). The week before we got married she took it back to get it engraved on the inside. I was able to year it for about a year into our marriage but as I put on weight it got to tight for comfort (I remember one night where it took me a few minutes to get off). We looked into getting it resized, but I was hesitant since I always wanted to drop the extra weight and then we found out they estimated the resize to be $200 since it has a continuous design around the band. We are now approaching our 5 year anniversary in 17 days so it feels great that I can wear it again (I wore it for about 80% of today, seems tight in the morning and at night still).

Since I did strength training yesterday, I have been taking it easy (every time I walk past my pull up bar I want to test my new found pulls but know I should let my arms rest). I took my dog for a walk in the Skele-Toes two more times now (1.0 miles yesterday evening and 3.0 miles this morning). My wife thinks the dog is too old to go for such walks but she was still frisky and full energy when we got done. I have to start training the dog more often since I want her to run my 5ks with me eventually. No problems with the long walk in the Skele-Toes, so I think I can move on to running short distances in them. Still not sure how I feel about them though.

Since I did strength training yesterday, I have been taking it easy (every time I walk past my pull up bar I want to test my new found pulls but know I should let my arms rest). I took my dog for a walk in the Skele-Toes two more times now (1.0 miles yesterday evening and 3.0 miles this morning). My wife thinks the dog is too old to go for such walks but she was still frisky and full energy when we got done. I have to start training the dog more often since I want her to run my 5ks with me eventually. No problems with the long walk in the Skele-Toes, so I think I can move on to running short distances in them. Still not sure how I feel about them though.

How old is your dog, and what breed? My dog is my running companion, but even my quicker paces are nothing more than a gentle trot for him. Granted, Siberians were bred for long distance running, but he hasn't had any issues keeping up (quite the opposite, actually) on even the long runs. I just ordered him a hydration pack for runs over 10 miles - I figure he can carry water for both of us! :)

Cute dog. My dog is an almost 14 year old jack russell terrier. So she is getting near the end of the average jack russel's lifespan, but she doesn't have any injuries or problems besides a mild cataracts. She loves to walk and run, so I figured as long as she is still injury free and eager to go then it should be ok.

Did 90 minutes of push lawn mower work, a 8:42 mile (slow but considering I started off with a sweaty shirt I thought it was a success), and a couple of pull ups and chin ups one at a time throughout the day.

Since I was still a little sore, I did a casual 10k this morning and very much to my surprise I actually shaved a minute off my PR (71:58 now). Followed by a mile walk with the dog.