Leglocker: Better Late Than Never

leglocker

With my injury, I wasn't sure of what to do for this challenge. The official diagnosis after what my primary predicted, my MRI confirmed, and my orthopedist also confirmed is that I have a torn posterior crucial ligament or PCL.  I'm waiting on a my referral to an orthopedic surgeon to confirm that I won't need surgery. I may opt for surgery if my insurance covers it because I've been dealing with this for a few years and just re-injured it.  Anyway, I thought of some challenges that I could do:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSgd18iWYAA0TBCtbVEPlQ

1. Take notes in class.

I've read about the benefits of taking notes during a martial arts class. I think that this would be especially beneficial during the technique portion. I tried this a little bit but it was usually what I could remember after class. If I could take notes during the actual technique portion it'll of course be a lot more fresh than after I roll with 3-5 guys.  I plan to train 5-7 times a week, bring a notebook with me and take notes during the technique portion and at the end of class, after rolling, I'll write down a reflection of how it went and what I feel I need to work on. 

giphy.gif

2. Study Jiu-Jitsu

I'll focus on studying my notes, watching film, and reading the three Jiu-Jitsu books I have.  I have a few Jiu-Jitsu instructional videos from Reilly Bodycomb.  My no gi coach taught me leg locks, but he left our gym to go start his own gym and I'm kind of locked in at my current gym until 2019. His replacement doesn't do leg locks.  Given I chose the name Leglocker (Heelhooker might not have been approved.) I really enjoy leg locks, so this should help me retain the information and perhaps gain inspiration in trying other moves.  There is also Youtube where I can study the positioning and setups of some of the elite competitors. Finally, I've had Submit Everyone by Dave Camarillo, JiuJitsu University by Saulo Ribeiro, and The Grappler's Handbook by Jean Jaques Machado. I'm looking to read and understand their concepts. 

3. Kettlebells and more Kettlebells

I did the Simple and Sinister and felt a lot more athletic after the last challenge. I got away from it a bit towards the end after my doctor told me about my injury and we started doing class a little bit earlier, but I'm not going to make that an excuse anymore. If class starts at 5:30, I'll be there at 5 to get my kettlebells in.  So, I plan to do Simple and Sinister again minus the goblet squats.  I can't really do a squatting motion without pain.  I'm also thinking of maybe once a week trying one of the fancy kettlebell routines that Eric Lejia (Instagram: @primal.swoldier) features.  Just so to break up any uhh can't think of the word right now so, I'll go with boredom.  

gluten-free-etiquette-6.gif

Meal Prep

In a continuing effort to lose weight, I'm going to get back to meal prepping. I'd like to do the prep on Sunday and Wednesday, but I get home so late that if I did prep on Wednesday, there goes my whole day. So I'm going to shoot for prepping my meals on Sunday.  Hopefully I'll see some weight loss doing this. And I'd probably save a bunch from not getting lazy and eating out all the time. 

giphy.gif

Clean 

Doing the dishes everyday helped keep the sink clear and clean, but now it's time to focus on the rest of the house.  I plan to clean my bathroom every Saturday.  I'll then clean two rooms on Saturday and another two rooms on Sunday.  Hopefully this will lead to a clean house. I'm tired of living in a messy home.  

• Like 3

Battle Log |Current Challenge: Better Late Than Never| Previous Challenges: 1 | 

instagram: @gambitbjj | Winner of the Harry Potter PVP Challenge: House Ravenclaw

On 4/24/2018 at 7:54 AM, leglocker said:

3. Kettlebells and more Kettlebells

I did the Simple and Sinister and felt a lot more athletic after the last challenge. I got away from it a bit towards the end after my doctor told me about my injury and we started doing class a little bit earlier, but I'm not going to make that an excuse anymore. If class starts at 5:30, I'll be there at 5 to get my kettlebells in.  So, I plan to do Simple and Sinister again minus the goblet squats.  I can't really do a squatting motion without pain.  I'm also thinking of maybe once a week trying one of the fancy kettlebell routines that Eric Lejia (Instagram: @primal.swoldier) features.  Just so to break up any uhh can't think of the word right now so, I'll go with boredom. 

Yeah, Simple & Sinister is a dry, boring program. I don't know a lot of people who stuck with it, especially with all the cool moves you can do with kettlebells. Even I don't stick too long with it (and I have a high tolerance for boredom, spending 6 years as a white belt).

I recommend Strong as Hec programs. Hector is a Senior SFG and BJJ black belt.

• Like 1