Resuming productivity [Manarelle]

Manarelle

Challenges: 

• 31: Apr '18 - Jedi belt, Mjolnir, work skirts
  • 32: May '18 - Extra masters class, attitude
  • 33: Jul '18 - Weird... NF lost this challenge. Started Mjolnir, extra masters class. 
  • 34: Aug '18 - Kenpo knives, Mjolnir
  • 35: Sept '18 - Start Thor breastplate, poke at shorthand
  • 36: Oct '18 - Halloween outfit, winterize garden
  • 37: Nov '18 - Winter party outfit, maintain
  • 38: Jan '19 - Finish Thor breastplate, redo resume
  • 39: Feb '19 - Finish Thor sabatons, cape, skirts; book edit
  • 40: Mar '19 - Finish Thor breastplate details, lots of other stuff, propose

Got back late Tuesday from 2 weeks' vacation abroad. While it was lovely, it was disruptive to my hobbies and goals, so I want to get back on track with all of those. 

To Do:

• Garden: plant backyard garden, finish replacing beds in large garden, take down "greenhouse" under stairs, plant large garden.
  • Sewing: replace Jedi under-belt, recreate green work skirt.
  • Thermoplastics: finish bracer, start new Mjolnir project, finish/ make more practice knives.
  • Exercise: resume weights, continue PT, institute daily kenpo practice.

I am taking language practice off my mental list of things to track. It's a well-seated habit and I was easily able to communicate while abroad, so I am not going to stress about it. I was able to keep up with PT and cardio while abroad; now I need to re-establish weightlifting, and figure out how to add 10 minutes of daily kenpo practice. Otherwise, just keeping on, keeping on, working my way through projects. If I had to pick one "challenge" for this round, it would be to actually finish the bracers and the jedi under-belt wrap, and start on Mjolnir. That's my pass/fail. 

• Like 1

Manarelle the Level 55 Amazon Assassin

Gryffindarling and Sith Acolyte, somehow.

Challenges: 1-1011-2021-3031-4041-50, 51-60, Current

On 4/27/2018 at 6:11 AM, UnquietBones said:

I miss my front yard garden soooo much! :( What sort of things are you planting this year? :D

I have established blueberries, blackberries, strawberries, and rhubarb. For annuals, there will be watermelon, soybeans, peas, peanuts, garlic, green beans, potatoes, peppers, cukes, carrots, lettuce, and tomatoes. The vines (cukes and melons) have not had much luck in past years; I'm hoping covering them will keep diseases at bay this year. 

6 hours ago, Taint said:

Sounds like fun:)

Did you, by chance, play a tauren warrior on WoW many years ago? 

• Like 1

Week 1:

Productive half-week back. Was able to get the backyard garden sorted today, just need to weed, take out a dead tree, and put the last stretch of edging in and it will be 100% done. Sadly, this progress happened because a number of things prevented me from going to the big garden, but I'll take the smaller win. I realized I was delaying the bracer because I don't quite like it; I'm in the "not as good as I want to be" phase of a new hobby (link, if you don't know the quote). Only way to get past it is to do more work, though, so I finished the hardware on it and put the clearcoat on. The adhesive-backed felt should arrive today to pad the inside, and then it will be done. Went back to the gym on Friday, and it hurt, a lot. Saturday wasn't too bad until the evening, when I found out what having DOMS in your abs does to your willingness to stay up late. Feeling better today; we'll see how Monday's workout goes. Have not yet incorporated Kenpo on a regular basis, but it's on my mind a lot and I mentally run through the moves I know when I'm in the car and the shower. Next step: actual, physical practice. 

Unrelated: Saturday was getting a lot of little things cleaned, sorted, and updated. All those little things that pile up and aren't quite important enough to make a list for, but still are rather inconvenient at times. Felt good to establish a solid baseline of "getting things done."  

IMG_20180429_102641.jpg IMG_20180429_102648.jpg

Ignore the weeds. The took full advantage of two weeks of absence and warm weather. They'll get sorted eventually, the bastards. 

Update: felt came, bracer done. Woot!

• Like 1

Hello again! I hope you had resting holidays, where did you go if I may ask? You practice so many languages, it could be so many places :P

44 minutes ago, Manarelle said:

I'm in the "not as good as I want to be" phase of a new hobby (link, if you don't know the quote). Only way to get past it is to do more work, though

Such a great quote! 

Hope the DOMs clear up soon, they are always there to welcome you back from holidays, aren't they :D

• Like 1

Challenges #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 | #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 (current)

Battle log The Assassin's Path (current)

Woot: first 1mn free HS | first press to HS

Hello again! We did have good holidays, although once again, our destination had a freak heat wave and it was 20°(F) warmer than we packed for. We had to do laundry in the bathroom a time or two, to ensure we had enough warm-weather clothing. We spent four days each in Paris, Avignon, and Nice. The language part was interesting, actually, because I've been so focused on Russian for a while now that I had to remind myself that French was not only ok, but desirable. I'd get into the groove with French, and then someone would walk by speaking Russian (seriously, there were so many Russians) and my brain would short-circuit and I'd have to reboot. My gentleman (who only speaks english but can recognize the languages I speak) was laughing at me quite a bit. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Manarelle said:

My gentleman (who only speaks english but can recognize the languages I speak) was laughing at me quite a bit. 

I'm sure he was glad to have you around though!

Which city did you prefer?  Did the southern accent cause you trouble?

Challenges #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 | #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 (current)

8 hours ago, @mu said:

I'm sure he was glad to have you around though!

Which city did you prefer?  Did the southern accent cause you trouble?

The one time he went out on his own, to visit a food stand we'd hit up several times before, was the one time he ran into someone who did not speak any english, of course. Yes, he was very appreciative to have me around. Doesn't do to let your so get full of themselves though. :) Personally, I preferred Avignon - we stayed in oldtown, which was very walkable and had lots of greenery (and an Irish pub with amazing food). I kept listening for the southern accent, but I just couldn't hear it. We'd addressed it specifically in two pronunciation classes in college, too, but I couldn't discern it. Was somewhat put out about that. 

I don't like Nice much myself. The accent is not too strong there or in Avignon. My uncle is from the Marseille area, he is very loud and has a very thick accent, I love him, but honestly I have to admit that sometimes I don't understand everything he says :blink::lol:    And then my father also has bit of an accent (and some loudness), but I don't really hear it of course, my husband who is not a native French speaker does struggle a bit though (but not with my mother who is from a different area). You must be very fluent if that did not bother you at all, it's a good sign :)

• Like 1

Week 2:

• Garden: all done, with a caveat.
  • Sewing: Wrong interfacing for under-belt. Someone lied about what "medium weight" meant. Ordered heavier stuff.
  • Thermoplastics: Finished both bracer prototypes.
  • Exercise: Kenpo practice x5, weights x2, cardio/PT x2, garden x1.

After much thought, I decided to give up the big garden. My backyard garden is thriving better than the big community plot, and I can water and weed my backyard in the evening, when it's cool, as opposed to working for hours in the sun after work or on weekend mornings. Despite the progress I've made in the big garden, this was a surprisingly easy decision, especially after just going out to take pictures this week and being instantly overheated. While I'm sad to lose my berry bushes and grapevine, someone else will appreciate them and the ground they come on much more than I will (and the money I'll save by not working the big garden can go in part to getting a replacement blueberry for the backyard). 

In other news, the bracers are done and stored, the under-belt should be finished in the next day or two, , and I was able to add kenpo practice in first thing in the morning, since I"m waking up early for some reason anyway. I had to miss a weights workout for Russian class, but I spent 3 hours cleaning up the big garden today (thank you, clouds and unusually cool temps) so the next person can have a clean slate. My shoulders and forearms are a little tight, but I feel pretty solid overall, and mentally freed of that burden. Decent week; finally started listing the extra books I bought in France, so here's to being able to offset some of the trip costs. Russian class was... rough, but the teacher complimented me on keeping it together in the 4 weeks since our last meeting, so yay that. 

Week 3:

• Garden: Maintaining nicely. 
  • Sewing: Finished the under belt, starting work shirts.
  • Thermoplastics: Nothing.
  • Exercise: Kenpo practice x5, weights x3, cardio/PT x2, 

Decent week: almost back to where I was before vacation at the gym, still very happy with the garden decision, back yard needs weeded again, and might repot one or two seedlings. Finished the under belt (see below), and came face to face with the fact that I don't have enough shirts to wear summer skirts all week, so got a pattern and fabric to fix that. Haven't started mjolnir yet, but it will come. Doing kenpo in the morning seems to be working well, and it feels like a habit already, calling that a win. Went to a lawyer with my gentleman yesterday to get Powers of Attorney and wills started; boring but necessary. Overall very productive week, even if not in the direction originally planned.

Belt:                                                              Prototype shirt:

IMG_20180508_205640.jpg       IMG_20180513_113939.jpg

I'm quite pleased with the belt - the old one was a straight pieces of cloth that gapped horribly and didn't come close to touching in the back, so I had to keep the (very warm) jedi robe on. This one is fitted to me from an old waistband pattern, and overlaps across the entire back. Much more comfortable. The shirt.... I'm on the fence about. It doesn't suck, and it's fairly comfy and serviceable, but... It feels really top-heavy (which I don't need), has a back seam that looks horrible (to me), and has extra drape across the stomach. I'm pretty proud of how my stomach looks with all the time I spend in the gym, so I hate to hide it, but on the other hand, who am I trying to impress? I will probably finish that one off (add sleeves and hem it), then start messing with the pattern until I get something I like.... then make 16 of them in different colors. It's definitely a process. 

Week 4/overall:

• Garden: Sorted. Very happy with the level of work this hobby requires now, and the projected output. 
  • Sewing: Somewhat derailed by the realization that my summer work wardrobe is insufficient. Actively working on fixing that.
  • Thermoplastics: Bracer finished, nothing new started in favor of having enough clothes to wear. 
  • Exercise: Returned to pre-vacation exercise levels, and kenpo daily practice is a win.

Overall, very happy with progress made. Still haven't gotten Mjolnir down, but I have made peace with my priorities.