Greetings, welcome and salutations to the NF Art Gallery! This is a place to post images of visual artwork and have some chats about your thoughts and processes if you like! So many of us are visually oriented, after some chats with @Luciana Valerosa Culming we thought it would be fun to have a regular place to share artwork. 

No matter your medium, style or experience level, this is the spot for sharing your work! And if you just want to sort of explore your thoughts visually, this art journal method is pretty cool to try ^_^ 

Looking forward to seeing everyone's work! :D 

• Like 1

And to break the ice, here's a little recent sketch :) I do a lot of anatomy stuff, just a dissection of a forearm in a Ving Tsun Fuksau position :D

aNFMu9O.jpg

• Like 3

A fair amount of arting hapenned this week, but what I'm most excited about was the least expected! I did some painting and some photography for my new blog page, and the photography required some nice outings/hikes. While I was hiking I decided to gather some rocks to try out mandala dot painting, something I'd seen a friend post about on facebook, and it looked relaxing. OH MAN super good. The first few tries were a little difficult because I had a hard time slowing down and concentrating... something that's been on my goal list since new year. But then the magic focus came and I totally lost myself in these things - I'm really enjoying! What a fantastic meditation. Now they're starting to pile up and I'm like, aw hell, what am I gonna do with these things? But I guess they can go in the garden and make nice gifts for folks? I guess? LOL Anyways. Here are my rock paintings, which is apparently something I say now... :lol:

Qd7hWLK.jpg

(I'll spoiler the rest so it's not a huge post lol)

Spoiler

E2wwRl8.jpg

PtfsOd0.jpg

tUNVlyn.jpg

JmmlFwr.jpg

Yud506k.jpg

YmSDLxl.jpg

• Like 8

Oooh, nice rocks! 

Also I'm Okay, You're Decaying is a great title. 

• Like 1

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

I like these a lot;)

level 12 Hobbit Monk (respawned September 2016)
STR 4 | DEX 15 | CON 16 | STA 15 | WIS 33 | CHA 24 | Halfling | Newbie | Fencer and Bookworm

Introduction | Character | Daily Battle Log | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 67 | 8 | | 10 | 11 | 12# | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | #### | 17 | Current Challenge

Spoiler

I'm exercising, because I want to get my stamina and strength. I enjoy medieevil swordmanship,  Tai Chi, yoga, aikido and fire spinning. I'm also a roleplaying nerd and a book worm. Let's fight the procrastination dragon!

I'm not the least bit artsy, so my contributions to this thread will be a lot of "oooh!" and "aaah!" at art others make.

Starting with...

On 5/3/2018 at 7:51 PM, Deckard Gainz said:

Here's one of my favorite pages from the book I just finished illustrating to keep the ball rolling.

Pg-7_rgb-preview.jpg

Where and how can I get my hands on a copy of this book? My nephews need this! My nieces too!

On 5/6/2018 at 6:33 PM, RedStone said:

But then the magic focus came and I totally lost myself in these things - I'm really enjoying! What a fantastic meditation. Now they're starting to pile up and I'm like, aw hell, what am I gonna do with these things? But I guess they can go in the garden and make nice gifts for folks? 

Sell them on Etsy! 

I am perfectly serious. Go to Etsy -> Open shop -> Take Scalyfreak's order. :) 

The Great Reading Thread of 2024

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49; Ch 50

9 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

Where and how can I get my hands on a copy of this book? My nephews need this! My nieces too!

Thank you! We're still waiting for the print magic to happen. Right now it's scheduled for August. I should have more info in the next couple months so stay tuned!

• Like 1

Stay awhile... we're liftin'

On 5/8/2018 at 8:25 AM, Deckard Gainz said:

Thank you! We're still waiting for the print magic to happen. Right now it's scheduled for August. I should have more info in the next couple months so stay tuned!

Keep us posted! I'm totes getting a copy

I finally uploaded some sketches.

untitled_artjournal_1_in_progress_by_katzoo__1___31_05_2018_by_katenet87-dcb7lx5zoo__2__31_05_2018_by_katenet87-dcb7m0e.zoo_3___31_05_2018_by_katenet87-dcb7m29.zoo__4___31_05_2018_by_katenet87-dcb7m3w

• Like 2

STR 4 | DEX 15 | CON 16 | STA 15 | WIS 33 | CHA 24 | Halfling | Newbie | Fencer and Bookworm

Introduction | Character | Daily Battle Log | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 67 | 8 | | 10 | 11 | 12# | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | #### | 17 | Current Challenge

Spoiler

I'm exercising, because I want to get my stamina and strength. I enjoy medieevil swordmanship,  Tai Chi, yoga, aikido and fire spinning. I'm also a roleplaying nerd and a book worm. Let's fight the procrastination dragon!

This is Awesome! I started a art business that does portraits and calligraphy. On top of that I want to learn web design and digital art. I decided to post a flourish art I did of Alduin from ES: Skyrim.

Alduin.jpg

• Like 4

@Ba'sini'on I like how you let the words look like feathers. Really cool. It looks like one of these prehistoric flying dinosauers.

I'm trying out something new.

untitled_by_katenet87-dcbhvo3.jpg

• Like 4

Spoiler

I have been busy painting stones! I decided to attach this practice to my daily gratitude goal and started an instagram just for that. You can kind of see my progress with technique and stuff, it's only been a few weeks so far but I'm really enjoying it LOL

https://www.instagram.com/spirit_mandala/

• Like 1

This is the first of the pieces that I am making for the walls in my library. All of them will be some combination of a quote and image(s) from my favorite books, in various media. (This started by accident- a friend entered me in an Instagram contest run by an artist and I won a beautiful painting of Aslan with a quote from TLTWATW.)

This is acrylic paint on rough wood. In retrospect, I could maybe have started with an easier medium. 

814ea20476cadbea102585a9804dfb64.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

“Then something Tookish woke up inside of him, and he wished to go and see the great mountains, and hear the pine-trees and the waterfalls, and explore the caves, and wear a sword instead of a walking-stick."

-J. R. R. Tolkien

2022 Challenges: Push, Core, SimplePooh, Timebox, NaNoWriMo

2023 Challenges: 20SOC, Travel, Battery, Song n'Dance

18 hours ago, Gemma said:

This is acrylic paint on rough wood. In retrospect, I could maybe have started with an easier medium. 

Acrylic is a fantastic medium to start with and stick with. I've been painting for at least a decade and acrylic was one of my favorite to learn and remains my favorite to paint with in general. I may be biased, but I think you made a great choice!

• Like 1

Stay awhile... we're liftin'

I found some of my old art:

dragon_1.jpg

^This was just a direct copy off the cover page from a book I had... I think I was 15ish when I did this.

Temple.jpg

I have got some more recent stuff, but I have to work out where I put it and get some photos...

• Like 4

Neutral Gargoyle Warrior with a dash of Ranger/Monk/Adventurer. Now LEVEL 9!  My Instagram

STR 78, CON 31, DEX 1, INT 21, WIS 13.5, CHA 4

Meet lifts: SQ 175kg, B 112.5kg, Dead 215kg.   Gym lifts: SQ 185kg, B 132.5kg, Dead 220kg

Nerd Stuff: Sci Fi TV, Sci Fi + Fantasy Books, Classic Space Lego, Warhammer 40K...

And some of my more recent-er work:

20180528_131424.jpg

20180528_131244.jpg

20180528_131106.jpg

And a big one that I helped Mrs Blocky paint for our balcony to stop the weirdo neighbours peeping in:

20180528_131335.jpg

• Like 4

Neutral Gargoyle Warrior with a dash of Ranger/Monk/Adventurer. Now LEVEL 9!  My Instagram

Meet lifts: SQ 175kg, B 112.5kg, Dead 215kg.   Gym lifts: SQ 185kg, B 132.5kg, Dead 220kg

Nerd Stuff: Sci Fi TV, Sci Fi + Fantasy Books, Classic Space Lego, Warhammer 40K...

Wow, that's really cool Blocky. I like the choice of colors. And I wonder why I didn't get a notification.

My recent sketch didn't come to life last week. I'll try to get that done as soon as possible. Somehow it's a bit frustrating, that I don't have all my stuff with me and can't do my first idea. I like acrylic, too.

Spoiler

26 minutes ago, Luciana Valerosa Culming said:

I like acrylic, too.

Acrylics are nice and simple and quick to tidy up... but I really like oils - they just blend so much easier and because it takes so long to dry you can constantly go over bits until you get the result you want... you can also get some bolder textures with the oils.

Mhh I don't know. Somehow I never got he hang of oil. And I don't like, that you have to cover up the painting afterwards, so it doesn't get covered in dust. Somehow the color never seems to dry on it's own. And I find it harder to mix the colors I want.

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Luciana Valerosa Culming said:

Mhh I don't know. Somehow I never got he hang of oil. And I don't like, that you have to cover up the painting afterwards, so it doesn't get covered in dust. Somehow the color never seems to dry on it's own. And I find it harder to mix the colors I want.

Fair points. The drying time is maddening - I once (about 3 years ago) tried a spatula technique and slapped the paint on so thickly that I'm still not convinced that its dry.

One other thing I like about oils - it automatically makes the painting look older, as if every pigment contains a bit of brown.

• Like 1

I do the chalkboard art for my church, and I just finished this for the sermon series we start tomorrow. eb2fee845f2f71b9b9fa3c732184730e.heic

• Like 4

“Then something Tookish woke up inside of him, and he wished to go and see the great mountains, and hear the pine-trees and the waterfalls, and explore the caves, and wear a sword instead of a walking-stick."

-J. R. R. Tolkien

These are old ones, but they’re my favorites that I’ve done so far.

ea2163ffc2bb08393b18d4e35abd0260.jpg

31a87a0a86477af76fbdc479035b7735.jpg

• Like 3

-J. R. R. Tolkien