2 hours ago, Rubik'sCat said:

I've been slacking off on the posts, but at least not on the exercise.

I think you've got your priorities down right at least Thumbs Up

2 hours ago, Rubik'sCat said:

I wonder what my weight would look like had I not spent so much time at Subway and Taco Bell. Damn my gluttony.

You're making great progress with your weight! So I'd say no matter what you're eating it's working for you :) 

I'm also happy to see how far you can jog at 5.5 mph now! What a great difference compared to the early numbers!

• Thanks 1

December 21st, 2018

9.50 miles (15.289 km)

Ran: ~3 miles

Walked: ~6.50 miles

Amazingly, I didn't schedule this long of a run/walk and it was broken up into three separate sessions. 

Except for a handful of other people I had the entire YMCA to myself, so I got bored and decided to see how far I could go.

I remembered what Tobbe said earlier in this thread about intuitively knowing how much gas he has left in the tank when he exercises, and the saying rang true here as well. For myself, my legs were almost out of gas at the 7.60 mile (12.2 km) mark. The final 1.5 miles was walked. If I hadn't been running on a 3% incline my legs probably would have been able to go even further...guess we'll never know will we?

• Like 1

One day after Christmas and I get this in the mail:

Capture.PNG.c39865d5c939e025625561a09b1b6995.PNG

The large envelope the certificate came in said "Certificate Inside, Do Not Bend" and when I got home the envelope was bent and crammed inside of the mailbox so I just assumed the postal carrier wasn't too happy about having to deliver so many gifts during the holidays or was just in a big hurry. The certificate was none the worse for wear at least. It expires in December of 2020 so I have about to 2 years to get my continuing education credits. :lol:

• Like 2

December 27th, 2018

3.10 miles (5.00 km)

Only 1 of the miles was walked. The other two were ran on a 2% incline.

17.45 miles (28.083 km) until Stage 8.

I decided to play basketball again late at night, the basketball court is always so beautiful when it's bathed in flood lights with the stars shining in the sky outside. This time there was a lady practicing hitting a volleyball up in the air and chasing it when it got away from her. I stopped playing basketball and went to ask her if she wanted to play volleyball with me....so we did. This is the first time I've walked up to someone at my YMCA and asked them if they wanted to play so this is a big milestone for me. I want to keep branching out socially but I need to pick my targets more carefully next time because apparently I am just horrible at volleyball.  

• Like 3
8 hours ago, Rubik'sCat said:

This is the first time I've walked up to someone at my YMCA and asked them if they wanted to play so this is a big milestone for me.

Yay! Don't know if I'd have the courage to do that. So well done on your part!

8 hours ago, Rubik'sCat said:

but I need to pick my targets more carefully next time because apparently I am just horrible at volleyball.  

Rolling on the Floor Laughing

January 2nd, 2019

4.80 miles (7.724 km)

Walked: 3.30 miles 

Ran: 1.50 miles

12.65 miles (20.358 km) until Stage 8.

Back on May 30th, 2018 my best mile time was 9 minutes 10 seconds.

This is where it's at now:

Capture.PNG.7f0bf63d173abf13c2d59c33bc29cddc.PNG

On the Scouts Leaderboard that puts me at #32 out of 43 participants for fastest mile run. I'd like to do better though before I put my name into the Excel file. It also doesn't say anything about having to perform the run outside instead of getting it done on a treadmill, so I'm going to stick with these results.

Link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1XECLkEfUJAZlh4Zbrk4rM9QA4LGrC-00MLYAAFSK6mM/edit#gid=0

• Like 3

January 4th, 2019

6.50 miles (10.460 km)

Ran / Walk: N/A

6.150 miles (9.897 km) until Stage 8.

Notes:

• I can now run 0.75 miles (1.20 km) at 8.2 mph. Seven months ago I could only run 0.25 miles (0.40 km) at 7.5 mph.
  • It feels like I've hit a wall, physically. I cranked up the treadmill to 8.2 mph, went down to 3.5 mph, and then 9.1 mph but couldn't beat my previous best 7:45 mile time.

• I'm still looking for work related to my degree field (kinesiology) :) You don't have to be from my degree field for us to help each other. I'm reaching out here to network a little. I mean, I've had phone interviews from Alaska in the past and I'm all the way from Texas. Distance isn't a barrier to networking.

When you know someone is going to lose their top 20 spot to you on the Scouts Mile-Time Leaderboard eventually:

zxpxqkg3wws11.gif.d7c4ff373b29ac6e6e1949713066aa1d.gif  

• Like 3

I've made it Stage 8 (Cerulean City)

Rock Tunnel is up next. Rock tunnel's real-life counterpart is Mount Fuji; one of Japan's most well-known mountainous regions. I've always found it strange that Satoshi Tajiri (creator of Pokemon) decided to call it "Rock Tunnel" in the video game. It's a large maze and it's made out of rock...I guess he had a bad case of writer's block that day. 

The distance from Cerulean City to Rock Tunnel is only 23.7 miles (38.2 km), making this one of the easier stages in my challenge. 

January 9th, 2019

4.00 miles (6.437 km)

Walked: 3.0 miles

Ran: 1.0 miles

January 10th, 2019

5.50 miles (8.851 km)

Walked: 3.50 miles

Ran: 2.0 miles 

• Like 3

Coming up on 2 weeks since my last run...not good. I've been getting settled in on a new full-time job and my work schedule is still in flux. It's the Dept of Defense's largest military hospital in the country. Other rebels from S.A. probably know where I work now that I say that.

What does this mean? More workouts in the morning instead of late in the evening. Post below what motivates you to get up early every morning because Lord knows I can use your help on that issue.

• Like 2
14 hours ago, ReturnOfTheDad said:

Coffee, protein bar (Quest are my favorites), Multi vitamin/B vitamin supplement, and a steady flow of techno...

That particular  combination had me up for 5:30am workouts last week while traveling.

I actually tried the Quest protein bar. I have to say it was good, but not great. It has a funky aftertaste. Way better compared to the whey powder though. I'm glad there's another techno fan on the boards :D

6 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

200.gif

LOL I busted out laughing at this one, thanks. I feel you. Mercifully I work nights now. 

• Like 2
On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 8:43 PM, Rubik'sCat said:

Post below what motivates you to get up early every morning because Lord knows I can use your help on that issue.

In theory, the idea is that if I get up early and get to work early, then I can leave early so I can do all my other stuff in the evenings, but I usually end up having to work late anyway and I have to try to squeeze in everything else that I can after, so I'm not sure if this would really help you in your situation LOL. But that's my motivation.

• Like 1

20 days since my last run...

Facepalm.gif.944729fa37581ed45a666c199888dce7.gif

It's not like I've been absent from the forums though, so that's great! I have plenty of time to work out before heading to work, it's just that I can't seem to stop hitting the snooze button and get myself up for good. I've tried Tobbe's suggestion with the energy drinks (mainly Monster) and I like Jupiter's suggestion about leaving early. I wish that was a viable option with my employer. I understand the pain of having to squeeze a lot in after the work day is over...

January 30th, 2019

8.20 miles (13.2 km)

Splits: 1 lap ran per 1 lap walked, 2 laps ran per 2 laps walked, and so on...

Just as a frame of reference, one lap was 0.36 miles (0.58 km), so I walked/ran a total of ~22 laps.

Capture.PNG.1643d8a89463a5bb193c629f57d29cb1.PNG

• Like 4
14 hours ago, Tobbe said:

22 laps?! Respect for battling through something that monotonous! 

20190201_081757.thumb.jpg.6077fdd635cc53c476a5a979873e133e.jpg

Cream cheese & brownie layers. I ate that a few hours beforehand...not the real reason I exercised for 2 hours. I exercise that long all the time so I'm not the type to binge and "purr"...sorry for the bad pun.

• Like 3

I have problems getting up early too. My workout time from 10 years ago has been replaced with getting the kids ready and out the door for the day. Any morning workout would hence need to be pushed earlier by at least one hour and no, I'll take my sleep thank you! It also used to be that working out would wake me up and energize me, but now it just wears me out. So knocking it out in the afternoon/evening actually works, because I can just flop into bed a few hours later.

My Epic Quest: Faith Conquers Fear

On 2/7/2019 at 11:13 AM, Ayrihn said:

I have problems getting up early too. My workout time from 10 years ago has been replaced with getting the kids ready and out the door for the day. Any morning workout would hence need to be pushed earlier by at least one hour and no, I'll take my sleep thank you! It also used to be that working out would wake me up and energize me, but now it just wears me out. So knocking it out in the afternoon/evening actually works, because I can just flop into bed a few hours later.

Kids, huh? I have the luxury of not having the same problem but still fall into the trap of drifting off to sleep every time after the alarm goes off. Do you have a stressful job that drains the energy out of you that makes it extra difficult for you to exercise early in the morning? Early in the morning would be my best bet though because on an average work day I'm walking all over and around a hospital campus and want to rest when I get home.

@Tobbe It's funny how the mind works :D I don't have problems willing myself to walk/run long distances. I had to work 8 straight days this past week but yet I felt like punching my fist through a wall after the 6th day. It's about wanting to do something difficult versus being forced to do something difficult. 

• Like 2