Hi Rubik'sCat!!! I'm sorry its been forever. But regardless of my absence I'M SO PROUD OF YOUR SUCCESS! Your journey will only get better from here! :) 

Have a beautiful week!

IMG_1195.JPG

• Thanks 1

“The world bursts at the seams with people ready to tell you you're not good enough. On occasion, some may be correct. But do not do their work for them. Seek any job; ask anyone out; pursue any goal. Don't take it personally when they say 'no' — they may not be smart enough to say 'yes.” - Keith Olbermann

February 11th, 2019

5.50 miles (8.851 km)

Out of the first 4.17 miles, 2.60 were ran. The remaining were walked. 

This was the very first time in my challenge I got up at 5:30 a.m. and drove to the YMCA. I tried it again today  (2/13) and my body wasn't having any of it...old habits die hard I guess. I'm trying again on the 14th.

Yet another stray dog hanging around the YMCA campus and this one has been by far the sweetest. If I walk up to the fence that separates the court from the parking lot she'll squirm half her body underneath the fence and wag her tail just begging me to pet her. I'm not in a position to adopt a pet unfortunately and the staff know all about her. If she's still there by Friday I'll have to talk to the staff to see if the dog catcher is coming.

People need to call the police on these people dumping animals (or at least catch their license plate). This might just be a stray dog from the streets (for all I know) but this area is known as a hotspot for animal dumping and police can't be everywhere at once. It's just plain cruelty. 

• Like 3
13 hours ago, Rubik'sCat said:

Yet another stray dog hanging around the YMCA campus and this one has been by far the sweetest. If I walk up to the fence that separates the court from the parking lot she'll squirm half her body underneath the fence and wag her tail just begging me to pet her. I'm not in a position to adopt a pet unfortunately and the staff know all about her. If she's still there by Friday I'll have to talk to the staff to see if the dog catcher is coming.

People need to call the police on these people dumping animals (or at least catch their license plate). This might just be a stray dog from the streets (for all I know) but this area is known as a hotspot for animal dumping and police can't be everywhere at once. It's just plain cruelty. 

There are two problems that overlap: Dogs with homes allowed to roam free, and dogs that are dumped. They combine to create a third, which is offspring from the first two groups, so you have dogs that have always roamed free. Some folks in town are not the best pet owners.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

March 22nd, 2018

14.10 miles (22.691 km)

4.00 miles ran

10.10 miles cycled on the stationary bike.

I have the NCAA men's basketball tournament to thank for all of the exercise. I turned on one of the games and just exercised until the game ended.

I've made it to the next stage of my challenge but I'm going to cover that in my next post. I need to clean up my diet. My goal is to take a page out ReturnoftheDad's, Tobbe's, or Jupiter's playbook and format my thread the way they do theirs, by focusing on my diet and making healthier choices a little bit at a time.

Since taking the job at the hospital my mornings begin by:

1. Hitting the snooze button on the alarm every 9 minutes until 9:00, eating leftover pizza, a frozen burrito, or (heaven forbid) something healthy. 

2. Getting to work and buying a snack + a soda before clocking in, buying another soda during scheduled break time if I'm in the mood for it, buying another soda at lunch (or bringing a sandwich + a soda from home). There is a Burger King that is very hard to avoid right inside of the hospital to make matters worse. 

3. Buying a honey bun or a package of cupcakes from the vending machine if I don't buy dinner from the hospital cafeteria instead.

4. Binge watching YouTube videos for ~ 2 hours in bed before sleep to unwind from the work day. Regret it the next morning. Repeat the cycle all over again.

Maybe by making this information public it can spur some change in my level of discipline and horrid eating habits, because my mood is constantly in the "gutter" so to speak and I always feel the urge to snap at others at work inside my head. This has been going on for ~ 2 months and I'm getting fed up (no pun intended).

• Like 3

Hospital work does make it ironically hard to be healthy. Also, hospital break rooms exist solely to ruin people's healthy eating plans. So what is the one change you plan to make to the above to start your good habit pyramid?

• Like 1

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

1 hour ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Hospital work does make it ironically hard to be healthy. Also, hospital break rooms exist solely to ruin people's healthy eating plans. So what is the one change you plan to make to the above to start your good habit pyramid?

The way I see it, it can be broken down into 2 main components, work vices & home vices.

Home: YouTube before bed and buying soda at HEB or Target.

Work: Constantly being surrounded by unhealthy eating choices 8.5 hours every day. 

I only have control over one, which are my bad habits at home/store. If I can maintain a better sleep routine at home and limit soda at work to one can a day (from HEB, not bought at work), then I can build more self-discipline at work. That's a good enough start I hope to get me to stick to it.

• Like 3

Progress:

1. Bought only 1 soda from work only 2 out of 5 days at work.

2. Bought only 2 items from the vending machine at work during those 5 days.

Since working almost 3 months and being moved to a new department I've never gone more than one day without buying a soda at work, so this is a good start. 

Currently in the beginning of Stage 9 (Rock Tunnel) but more on that later.

images.jpeg.0cb77deffe28b8906cbd4477c9b60399.jpeg

Thank you to Tanktimus for the encouragement, thanks to the others following, and ReturnoftheDad; I looked for the Quest protein cookies at work but they only have a different brand. I tried the protein cupcake bites but I doubt I'll buy those again. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Rubik'sCat said:

Thank you to Tanktimus for the encouragement, thanks to the others following, and ReturnoftheDad; I looked for the Quest protein cookies at work but they only have a different brand. I tried the protein cupcake bites but I doubt I'll buy those again.

You can get quest protien bars at HEB. They travel well, you could keep them in a pocket if you had to. 

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Funny how time seems to fly. I had to put my challenge thread on hiatus because of my full time job at the hospital.

The last 2 months have been spent visiting family members in Japan. My first time traveling alone and first time I've ever been on a plane. I've really expanded my comfort zone to start 2020.

Anyway, it's time for me to pick up where I left off.

82159592_2628059103898448_6359577484144410624_o.thumb.jpg.211dd9ddc0587f8e2b8cca8fa35c7a33.jpg

^ Public park in Osaka.

• Like 5

Funny how time seems to fly. I had to put my challenge thread on hiatus because of my full time job at the hospital.

The last 2 months have been spent visiting family members in Japan. My first time traveling alone and first time I've ever been on a plane. I've really expanded my comfort zone to start 2020.

Traveling is great! Currently in Asia myself actually :) 

Anyway, it's time for me to pick up where I left off.

82159592_2628059103898448_6359577484144410624_o.thumb.jpg.211dd9ddc0587f8e2b8cca8fa35c7a33.jpg

^ Public park in Osaka.

Looks like a beautiful day! 

• Thanks 1
11 hours ago, Tobbe said:

I have all the details in my challenge thread, but I've been to Thailand and I'm now in Vietnam.

That sounds like a really cool, once in a lifetime experience. I bet you'll be semi-fluent in those languages before 2020 is over. To

@Jupiter @ReturnOfTheDad @Tobbe @Tanktimus the Encourager I unsubscribed (I think) to all of your threads to focus more on my trip overseas, but I want to get back into ya'lls and show you my support again.  

• Like 3

That sounds like a really cool, once in a lifetime experience. I bet you'll be semi-fluent in those languages before 2020 is over. To

@Jupiter @ReturnOfTheDad @Tobbe @Tanktimus the Encourager I unsubscribed (I think) to all of your threads to focus more on my trip overseas, but I want to get back into ya'lls and show you my support again.  

The link to my challenge is in my signature. Don't worry about trying to catch up.

Current Challenge

That sounds like a really cool, once in a lifetime experience. I bet you'll be semi-fluent in those languages before 2020 is over.

An experience it is, for sure! As for the languages... Not so sure :P  They're really different to the germanic languages I'm more used to hearing. A lot of people here don't speak much English beyond "yes" and "no". I've never used Google Translate before, but now it's my new favorite app on my phone, after Google Maps :) 

• Thanks 1

Yayy (on both your travels and that you're back)! This is sooo cool! You know you're amazing right?! 😁👍🏽

• Thanks 1

“The world bursts at the seams with people ready to tell you you're not good enough. On occasion, some may be correct. But do not do their work for them. Seek any job; ask anyone out; pursue any goal. Don't take it personally when they say 'no' — they may not be smart enough to say 'yes.” - Keith Olbermann

On 1/17/2020 at 10:16 AM, Tobbe said:

An experience it is, for sure! As for the languages... Not so sure :P  They're really different to the germanic languages I'm more used to hearing. A lot of people here don't speak much English beyond "yes" and "no". I've never used Google Translate before, but now it's my new favorite app on my phone, after Google Maps :) 

Google Maps truly is a life saver, but Translate...not so much. The English to Japanese translations are so bad sometimes that it's laughable.

On 1/21/2020 at 8:41 AM, Amazon Ninja said:

Yayy (on both your travels and that you're back)! This is sooo cool! You know you're amazing right?! 😁👍🏽

Arigatou gozaimasu! (Thank you very much!) Congratulations on your new degree and on returning to the forum. I'm glad that I can speak from experience on what Japan is really like instead of Googling information like I used to in this thread. 

• Like 2

I will not delete it, as that would delete the posts of everyone else who wrote here. However, what I can do is lock it for you, so no one but a GL can post here. That will remove the temptation for you to keep posting in this one. As other people post in battle logs this will fall away from the first page. I also think you might have the option to hide the thread if you hide the first post.

Current Challenge