Well...let me just say my new record time for a 5k did NOT last very long.

My new record for a 5k is 32:42, which I achieved this past Saturday. My old record was 35:22 three days ago.

June 23, 2018

3.10 miles (4.988 km)

Ran: 2.68 miles

Speed-walked / Walked: 0.42 miles

• Like 1

You're record is very impressive! I hope you're safe though. Don't push yourself too terribly hard! I've pushed myself too hard in the past and hurt myself :(. Not fun times...

But your still my hero!

http://happinessisawarmgun-mama.tumblr.com/post/1509211638/amp 

• Thanks 1

“The world bursts at the seams with people ready to tell you you're not good enough. On occasion, some may be correct. But do not do their work for them. Seek any job; ask anyone out; pursue any goal. Don't take it personally when they say 'no' — they may not be smart enough to say 'yes.” - Keith Olbermann

20 minutes ago, Amazon Ninja said:

You're record is very impressive! I hope you're safe though. Don't push yourself too terribly hard! I've pushed myself too hard in the past and hurt myself :(. Not fun times...

But your still my hero!

http://happinessisawarmgun-mama.tumblr.com/post/1509211638/amp 

PIKACHU ON A TREADMILL!! :lol:  Bless you and your potato diet for sharing that because that's one of the more adorable things I'm going to see all week. Pikachu can probably power the treadmill with it's own electric moves.

Don't hurt yourself either! 

8 hours ago, ReturnOfTheDad said:

Your posts on this thread are AWESOME. I’m just getting started and am really working hard to just get 2 miles consistently. Really cool to see your progression. You are an inspiration to all of us newbies! I’ll be lacing up tomorrow to try and up it to 2.5 miles. Any tips?

Best of luck to you in getting 2.5 miles but don't push yourself too far and burn yourself out too early. I think the biggest thing to remember is to make it fun for yourself. Include your wife and/or your kids but make sure it's important it's enjoyable. Bicycling, walking, swimming, whatever you like. When I ran my 5k in 35:22 recently I was pretty bored but when I ran my next 5k I was watching the Texas Rangers game on TV and did even better. The mind makes the biggest difference!

And it's always nice to run into other native Texans too! I'm from South Texas. I noticed your profile says Dallas.

Great advice! I tend to push myself too hard and either get hurt or lose motivation. Very helpful recommendation.

Thank you fellow Texan! My family is originally from South Texas, so spent a lot of time in The Valley and South Padre growing up. We try to get back down there as often as I can. Love it there!!!

• Like 1
On 6/26/2018 at 11:32 AM, ReturnOfTheDad said:

Great advice! I tend to push myself too hard and either get hurt or lose motivation. Very helpful recommendation.

Thank you fellow Texan! My family is originally from South Texas, so spent a lot of time in The Valley and South Padre growing up. We try to get back down there as often as I can. Love it there!!!

I think South Padre is the "party capital" of South Texas :lol: It's where college students go to get wasted and party during Spring Break. I've already posted it elsewhere on the forum so I'll come right and out and say I am from San Antonio. Unfortunately for the natives, if you're unlucky the streets downtown are always crowded with tourists.

Coming up soon is one of the most difficult parts of the challenge because according to the Bulbapedia page; Viridian Forest corresponds to the "Okuchichibu Mountains" in the real world.

Why does this make it difficult for me?

Up until this point I have used very specific markers on the map to get from one Japanese city to the next. If I want to get to Pallet Town to Viridian City I use Google Maps to see how far away one city hall is from the other city hall. The problem with forests and mountain regions are that there are no city or town halls to use as reference markers. This is the same problem I came across with Mount Moon and the Rock Tunnel in the Pokemon games

All I can do is find a specific man-made location near the mountains (or place a marker near my destination as a last resort). So when I say I am traveling from Viridian City to Viridian Forest, I'm actually traveling from the Hakone, Kanagawa Prefecture Town Office to the Chichibu & Tama National Park Office.

700265705_2ViridiantoV.Forest.thumb.PNG.46bfc096dc887a7e9bd352cfbd77ebd7.PNG

June 26th, 2018

3.29 miles (5.294 km)

Almost completely walked.

June 28th, 2018

3.10 miles (4.988 km)

Completely walked.

Nice! That’s some serious walking.

Yeah, we typically only went to South Padre in the off season when it was completely dead or would take day trips from Brownsville to get us out of my grandparents hair. My parents took us once during spring break by accident.....we saw things.....

San Antonio is great, my sister lives there. Don’t get to see her as often as we’d like but when we go visit she always shows us cool places around her university. Very rarely go downtown. LOVED Franks on S Alamo St., SO SAD IT CLOSED. :(

Good luck with the next leg of your challenge!!!

14 minutes ago, ReturnOfTheDad said:

Nice! That’s some serious walking.

Yeah, we typically only went to South Padre in the off season when it was completely dead or would take day trips from Brownsville to get us out of my grandparents hair. My parents took us once during spring break by accident.....we saw things.....

San Antonio is great, my sister lives there. Don’t get to see her as often as we’d like but when we go visit she always shows us cool places around her university. Very rarely go downtown. LOVED Franks on S Alamo St., SO SAD IT CLOSED. :(

Good luck with the next leg of your challenge!!!

Thank you :)  I always admire how users on the forum wake up sooo early in the morning. You two that are commenting on my thread @Amazon Ninja and @ReturnOfTheDad, I admire how ya'll can wake up early in the morning and work out and meditate. I admire the work ethic. 

• Thanks 2

7-1.thumb.PNG.27af193bb5f335edb24f3e3e0e4f0de6.PNG

It's officially been 2 months (62 days) since I began and I've only ran during 21 of those days. That stretch between June 2nd - June 18th REALLY set me back.

When I first started this challenge I thought I would run straight to the finish line with little to no attention from anyone in particular. Amazon Ninja proved me wrong about that idea with her continuous encouragement so she deserves major props! I know I just met ReturnoftheDad but he seems like a super cool guy from Texas, and he deserves two thumbs up!

What a challenge feels like on the first day vs. what it feels like 2 months in :

giphy.gif.c16de1c070153db90b6d7594ae45a016.gif

• Haha 1

July 6th, 2018

4.60 miles (7.403 km)

1 mile ran.

3.60 miles walked.

For the first time in my challenge, chest pains on my left side have gotten in between me and exercise. Pains like this are nothing new to me thankfully and thankfully again I have been able to run straight through it. Any large time lapses in exercise reports will be because of this little issue (If needed).

• Like 1

July 10th, 2018

4.40 miles

All walked

July 12th, 2018

4.125 miles

2.397 ran

1.728 walked.

GOALS FOR THE WEEK OF July 15th - 22nd:

• Wake up once during the week before 5:30 am and go walking before work.
  • Spend one day out of the week focusing purely on strength training.
  • Spend one day out of the week putting together a weight training program.
  • Defeat Chuck Norris in an arm wrestling competition.
  • Rule the world.

Let's see how many I can get done because I have been slacking off worse than Beetle Bailey in the comics as of late.

• Like 1

July 13th, 2018

3.27 miles (5.262 km)

July 14th, 2018

6.62 miles (10.653 km)

I got the 3.27 miles running and walking outside in 90-something degree heat, which is rare to me to say the least.

The 6.62 miles were accomplished with me on the treadmill. One thing I did find out though...a 4.0% incline set at 5.0 mph on the treadmill feels just like running outside in hilly terrain.

I may be able to literally run 5k's and 10k's without stopping on the treadmill and make myself feel good about it, but in reality I'm a fraud. If I run outside in the heat on grassy fields or tracks the furthest I can run without stopping to walk is 0.5 miles. I learned more about my limits this week.

• Like 1

July 17, 2018

4.00 miles (6.437 km)

Walked: 2 miles

Ran: 2 miles

The last mile time that I posted was on May 30th. It was 9 minutes 10 seconds. I just cut my mile time down to 8 minutes 41 seconds on the treadmill, and in the most unique way possible I might add...the treadmills were as crowded as I've ever seen them, the steppers were taken, and 1 or 2 of the exercise bikes were in use. The weight lifting machines and free weights were being used as well. I don't normally see it that crowded.

Well....I didn't say it in the last post, but I made it to Viridian Forest. This is the beginning of Stage 3.

Approx. 50 miles (80.4 km) left until I reach Stage 4.

Capture.PNG.c621d00fb726bc8f88fdd2effdfb90bc.PNG

Mid-way through the week and I have not completed any of my weekly challenge goals for the yet. I cannot seem to wake up early except on work days. I need help waking up instead of hitting the snooze button again and again but I don't know where to get it. I've tried Monster Energy drinks but they don't help me wake up. 

• Like 1

July 19th, 2018 -  July 30th, 2018

23.96 miles (38.559 km)

26.095 miles (41.995 km) until I reach Stage 4.

Calories: N/A

Walked / Ran: N/A

I have no excuses to give for not reporting for almost two weeks, but looking back on my time away from my thread, I've spent a lot of time running. And I'm getting better!

When I first started my challenge I had one hell of a time jogging more than 0.50 miles outdoors, it was incredibly difficult for me to do. I've been running outdoors these past few weeks in blistering heat, like I said, and I'm proud to say I can jog outdoors without stopping for a max of 1.86 miles (3 kilometers) now! I'm averaging 6:30 - 7:00 per km. 

More good news: According to my Nike running app that I use while running, I finished my 5k jog outdoors in more or less 34 minutes. When I first started my personal challenge (on May 1st) my best 5k time on the treadmill in an air conditioned environment was 36 minutes 5 seconds. This is how far I've come and I'm not stopping!

The bad news: All the running I've been doing has giving me a nasty burning sensation on my left Achilles tendon these past couple of days. It's been on highly uneven terrain, so this doesn't come as a surprise but I'm still disappointed.

Thanks to ReturnOfTheDad for getting me hooked on the band "Atlas" in one of his posts. I love some of their tracks. 

• Like 2
18 hours ago, Rubik'sCat said:

July 19th, 2018 -  July 30th, 2018

23.96 miles (38.559 km)

26.095 miles (41.995 km) until I reach Stage 4.

Calories: N/A

Walked / Ran: N/A

I have no excuses to give for not reporting for almost two weeks, but looking back on my time away from my thread, I've spent a lot of time running. And I'm getting better!

When I first started my challenge I had one hell of a time jogging more than 0.50 miles outdoors, it was incredibly difficult for me to do. I've been running outdoors these past few weeks in blistering heat, like I said, and I'm proud to say I can jog outdoors without stopping for a max of 1.86 miles (3 kilometers) now! I'm averaging 6:30 - 7:00 per km. 

More good news: According to my Nike running app that I use while running, I finished my 5k jog outdoors in more or less 34 minutes. When I first started my personal challenge (on May 1st) my best 5k time on the treadmill in an air conditioned environment was 36 minutes 5 seconds. This is how far I've come and I'm not stopping!

The bad news: All the running I've been doing has giving me a nasty burning sensation on my left Achilles tendon these past couple of days. It's been on highly uneven terrain, so this doesn't come as a surprise but I'm still disappointed.

Thanks to ReturnOfTheDad for getting me hooked on the band "Atlas" in one of his posts. I love some of their tracks. 

Well done on the running! Sucks about the tendon burning though. What do you do for burning tendons?

August 1st, 2018

4.75 miles (7.644 km)

17.095 miles (27.511 km) until I reach Stage 4.

Walked: 3.70 miles

Ran: 1.05 miles

My Achilles flared up when I first started jogging today (which was after the 2nd mile) but went away after approximately 0.033 miles in. It's getting better I'm glad to say but I'm still taking it easy.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Hey! I'm sorry about your Achilles! Maybe try some light weights while you're healing. 

“The world bursts at the seams with people ready to tell you you're not good enough. On occasion, some may be correct. But do not do their work for them. Seek any job; ask anyone out; pursue any goal. Don't take it personally when they say 'no' — they may not be smart enough to say 'yes.” - Keith Olbermann

I made it to Pewter City!! Goodbye to Viridian Forest for good.

At the time of this post I currently stand at 182.742 miles. 

Stage 4 has begun.

August 3rd, 2018

5.00 miles (8.046 km)

August 6th, 2018

7.20 miles (11.587 km)

August 7th, 2018

7.82 miles (12.585 km)

6.90 miles (11.104 km) of the total distance I covered on August 6th - 7th were ran. The other miles were walked.

373259400_3V.ForesttoPewter.thumb.PNG.ac704eadbdea5e4a44d0a8390050cfaa.PNG 

^ This is the distance I covered. The Chichibu / Tama National Park Office corresponds to the entrance of Viridian Forest in the game.

Maebashi City is located right on the doorstep of three large mountainous regions, one of them being Mount Akagi (Mt. Moon in the game). The trip from Pewter City to Mount Moon is an incredibly short one (only 12 miles), so this will be my easiest stage thus far.

Fun Fact: The name "Pewter" is actually a type of malleable metal alloy. An alloy is a combination of two metals or a metal combined with another element.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pewter

Capture.PNG.31cf150ed68b941927f7793b5979b2fe.PNG

• Like 1