Learning While Driving

At least once a month, I have a 12ish hour round trip. I've been listening to podcasts and audiobooks.
I'd like to work on language learning while driving. Or anything else.

Do any of you have MP3 or CD suggestions for educational podcasts or good audio lessons?

Mandarin Chinese & Spanish are my main language focus right now, but I'm good with just about any. 

Here are some educational podcasts that I have enjoyed:

ScienceFriday
Stuff You Should Know

Ted Talks Daily
Park Leaders (I work for parks)

Stuff to Make you Smarter

I also have downloaded the Duolingo Spanish podcasts. It's what gave me the idea to ask. I don't think I'm intermediate enough to benefit from it yet, though.

• Like 1

Audible has some lecture courses. I downloaded two before cancelling my subscription. One on nutrition and another on the history of science. I have gone about half the way through the nutrition ones and they seem decent. The History of Science I am super excited about. I listened to one and it sounded really good. 

• Like 1

18.10 |18.6 | 18.518.418.318.218.116.2 | 16.1 | My Character

Lean out: 4lbs / 70lbs

- - - - - - - - - -

I do a lot of commuting myself so I've become something of a podcast nut. (Also good for long-distance running.)

Dan Carlin's Hardcore History. The main draw for your situation would be length since each episode is about 4 hours long. He deals with the extremes of human history, so war, revolutions, the horrible things we do to each other. His WWI series, Blueprint for Armageddon, is probably the best introduction to the Western Front I've come across. (Growing up in the US, we spent more time on WWII because...well, 'Murica.) Carlin has another commentary podcast on politics. I can see how it's not everyone's thing, but I appreciate listening to alternative perspectives.

The History of Rome. Now completed, this one goes from the legendary founding of Rome up until the Byzantine. Each episode is about 15-20 minutes. The creator has another one called "Revolutions" to which I haven't listened.

The Great Courses. I won't link to this since it's not free, but a Google search can get you there. There's a lot of stuff you can search for, but you do have to be careful that you're pulling an audio lecture and not a video lecture.

• Like 1

"If you would improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus

"You just gotta listen to your body, unless it's saying anything about stopping, pain, your joints, or needing water."

Level 20 Pilgrim (Adventurer 7, Assassin 3, Druid 2, Monk 10, Ranger 5, Rebel 9, Scout 10, Warrior 4)

I really like the OLD line of podcast, Optimal Living Daily and Optimal Health Daily especially. Optimal Health Daily covers a number of Nerd Fitness posts which is how I found this site in the first place.

Not so educational, but I love the podcast By the Book. If you have any interest in self-help and self-improvement, check it out. It's insightful and hilarious.

• Like 1

Stuff podcasts are my favorite! I have a 3 hour commute 5 days a week, so I feel for ya! Here are some of my favs:

Hardcore History (regular or addendum - both are awesome)

Joe Rogan Experience (he has guests on there that blow my mind sometimes)

Stuff to blow your mind

TED talks

It seems that there are podcasts for just about everything, but those are the ones I listen to most. I also like a few religion ones, but I know that's not everyone's cup of tea ;)

Another thing to look into is your local library, if they are partnered with RB Digital you can check out audio books with your library card - this is my recent favorite thing. I can't justify buying a bunch of audio books if I won't like them (though, I did buy You're a Bad Ass recently) so this is a good option for me.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

• Like 1