Hello!

I'm a relatively young person living in the Horn of Africa. 

I've combined resources by starting to use this and My Fitness Pal. However, it is a real struggle to follow nutritional guides that are basically impossible where I live. I'd love to do the Paleo diet, but I can't eat meat every week, maybe I could get a few eggs but MFP seems to hate them. I know vegetarians suggest  wide variety of other ways to get high-protein, however, these are not available to me either. I know 80-90% is diet according to the newsletters...but how bad is it if I just work with what I have? Which is largely carbs and fats. It should be fine as long as I keep a calorie deficit if I want to lose weight, correct? 

I joined this site on a recommendation of a friend and can't wait to get started with the challenges and becoming stronger. I won't be using the academy or the courses. I must admit, everything seems a bit complicated right now, but I am slugging my way through the FAQs, threads, and links. Forgive me if I make a mistake. 

Most pressing at the moment...is how do you guys decide stats? Which to use and how many points to assign? I seem to have missed that in the FAQ.

Cheers,
Judge

Wannabe Assassin

Current Challenge: Begin the Tutorial

The (Daily) Struggle

Eat what you can, work with what you have! Grains, pulses, and legumes all have protein, so while you may not be able to hit the higher range numbers, you are definitely still getting a bit of protein in. Lentils, fava beans, wheat, teff, corn, and sorghum all give about 10g+ of protein per 100g cooked. Rice is lower (closer to 2-3g/100g), so if it were me I'd be erring more towards injera and whatever is available. Eggs are great, by the way, if they're available to you. Even dairy like milk & yogurt is good.

Keep track of how much you eat on a daily basis for a few weeks - if you're staying the same, that's your maintenance. If you want to lose fat, try taking out a handful or two of food a day, wait a few weeks, and then reassess your rate of weight loss. For workouts, the bodyweight routine is a great place to start: https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

Welcome to Nerd Fitness!

...but I'm adorable! Ask anyone who doesn't know me...

I do eat my weight in injera.

Thank you for the (really well researched) advice! I was so concerned with hitting the ground running. Cutting out everything "bad" and throwing in everything "good" immediately, I hadn't thought to just sit back and observe for a bit to form a baseline.

Lentils always gave me protein before, but I usually ate them in delicious dripping in oil sambusa format. 

I'll certainly try that though, and then just make my first round of food edits my next "challenge". 

Wannabe Assassin

The (Daily) Struggle

5 hours ago, Judge said:

I do eat my weight in injera.

:lol: Yum

I freaking love sambusas. You can always try something like mesir wot, kik alicha, or full medames instead though, if you'd like alternatives for pulses (though I'm sure you already know all this better than I do! ;)). I was a vegatarian for over a decade, and was always excited to try different methods to prepare lentils/beans. Feel free to drop a line if you ever want to chat food!

The little envelope symbol at the top (private messages, I just sent one saying hi) or the chat room, or even just starting a thread and wait for others to chip in too! :) And there are several folks here who know about Ethiopian food, it's a real treat for some of us. ;)

• Like 1

On 5/21/2018 at 10:50 AM, Azukmul gro-Dragnar said:

Welcome!  I wish to echo Defining's advice.  Do the best you can with what you have and forget about the rest.  

Thanks! I'm certainly trying and it's been geeting easier.

The hardest thing now is when I do choose to cut something out during meals and those eating with me being less than supportive about it.  

Wannabe Assassin

The (Daily) Struggle