Break The Chain 2

5.20am....this seems to be my new weekend wake up time. Its about an hour after my usual weekday wake up time.  Its when my body PINGS awake.

That isn't a bad thing.  It means I may have finally cracked sleep.

Before I gave up alcohol, about 5 weeks ago, I was also on anti depressants.  Sleep then was not good.  It involved waking up with panic attacks several times during the night, leaving me exhausted the following day.

About a year ago it was even worse.  I couldn't even get to sleep until the early hours most nights, due to my overactive brain.

What changed?

A year ago I implemented a very strict bed time routine.

• No electronic gadget after 8pm
  • Sit and read until my head nodded - usually with some very chilled background music or "noise"
  • This would usually be between 8.30 and 9.  Then I'd meditate until I fell asleep - back then that could take about an hour.  Now it can be seconds.

For me thats easy because I work away from home in the week and have no other responsibilities in the evening.  It also works because I like to go to the gym at the crack of dawn.

What happened after I quit alcohol?

The first 4 weeks not a lot because I was also coming off the anti depressants.  So I was foul tempered most of the time and the panic attacks were even worse.

However, I did find that I had more time where I wasn't feeling hungover and lethargic.  It was like I'd discovered extra hours in the day.  More time to exercise, clean the house, walk the dog or just get out and about with the family.  

Then last week something clicked with my sleep.  The panic attacks were gone.  Getting up to pee in the night is still a reality - I'm over 40 and that is our default setting.  

No panic attacks has pushed me to even greater levels of energy and eagerness to experience ALL THE THINGS!

The only issue now is where to start on all the things?

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Oh Beep said:

So far I haven't wandered further than the NF yoga sessions.  However, where I work are running classes in the evening.  What kind of yoga that is I don't know. Traditional, if that is a thing?

That's cool.  Work classes are great!  Hope you can check them out.  Am not an expert, but Hatha yoga is fairly common and standard? Might be that style.

Congrats on all of the wins.  Getting off alcohol and getting your life and sleep back in order are fantastic progress.  Be proud of that.

• Like 1

Behave yourself, badly if necessary.

Current Challenge

Judo - Shodan

My Character